Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
While I do believe in Climate change, the droughts are a natural occurrence certain times of the year, especially in Cali. Has been for as long as I can remember. Please correct me if I am wrong, but right after the drought season you guys get heavy rains that causes mudslides due to all the land left exposed by the fires. Like I said, it's become more of an issue because more people want to live in those areas.
People only like so long. Iirc it didn’t used to be historically. The background issue was rerouting rivers iirc. Some of the history was used in the movie “Chinatown” with jack Nicholson iirc.

Reactions: Opinionated

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Actually there isn’t. Look at any gas stove. Smoke is incomplete combustion.

Obliquely Trolling this stuff isn’t going to work any better than actually arguing it.

You don't get sarcasm at all my friend. I know, your quest to perfect the art of arguing gets in the way.
That's cool. I hope you don't mind me asking, but it was you who said you live by yourself, right?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Didn't they used to make those old black dial telephones out of Bakelite? I also remember some sort of decorative plates made of it as well.

And given the resin familiar folks here, what's the deal with Corian? Is that just a resin thing as well? (my ignorance on the topic is quite clear)
Corian is a trade name that has been used on a lot of things including paper plates. There is a countertop material with that trade name. Orc it’s a stone dust filled plastic. “Engineered marble” is also stone filled plastic. Not sure what plastic is used in either case. Google will probably know though.

As far as vaping goes the big question would be how does Bakelite react to juice? It’s got issues with some liquids and can swell in high humidity iirc. One of the reasons it’s not well liked as a material any more. As I recall it’s sole surviving superior quality is that it’s cheap and easy to mix up from commodity materials. For a long time it was used as an electrical insulator. It’s pretty good at that. Not the best, but good.

Could be Bakelite is a terrible materials choice for mods. What it would likely do well at is replacing stabwood panels on commercial mods. It’s tougher and cheaper.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
People only like so long. Iirc it didn’t used to be historically. The background issue was rerouting rivers iirc. Some of the history was used in the movie “Chinatown” with jack Nicholson iirc.

Did they reroute the seasonal rain clouds too? Them dirty bastions, how dare they? Do you think rerouting the rivers, building houses, etc.. has anything to do with the exceedingly growing population I mentioned above? I'm sorry, global warming/climate change, has very little to do with the issues you describe. The fires are not caused by changing weather patterns and I believe you know this.

• Agree

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Wow how did a thread about using tape to repair broken tank glass become a thread about climate change, global warming and forest fires in Cali?

I guess there is no where else for this to go, wait.... what about the Rastafarian movement in Jamaica during the 60's and how this might impact California, in regards to both resins and forest fires?

There's also abortion; if the whole state of California aborted themselves what would that mean?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Did they reroute the seasonal rain clouds too? Them dirty bastions, how dare they? Do you think rerouting the rivers, building houses, etc.. has anything to do with the exceedingly growing population I mentioned above? I'm sorry, global warming/climate change, has very little to do with the issues you describe. The fires are not caused by changing weather patterns and I believe you know this.
They rerout themselves when areas heat up I am given to understand. Cloud movement is I understand one of those really hard to predict things. It’s based on air temperature and pressure though, and stuff happening halfway round the world can affect it. It’s a pretty well studied field, but not by me.

As to starting fires, a fire doesn’t start unless something lights it. It becomes a question of fire potential. Wetter and vegetation bare areas tend to have lower potential for fire. Also monetary fire damage cost increases with habitation. Building developers love to buy land that is cheap because it is too dangerous to live on, hide the fact, subdivide it out as living space, and run away.
There is an argument that fire damage costs have been going up. This has to do with increased habitation. However there is also total acreage burned, total acreage under fire warning, and total acreage under fire warning because of drought condition. Part of the issue with California is they have been calling their arid areas temporarily “drought struck” for the last 40 years, and a lot of people are calling BS and saying they were always that way. The problem is there are records, and they weren’t.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Could be Bakelite is a terrible materials choice for mods. What it would likely do well at is replacing stabwood panels on commercial mods. It’s tougher and cheaper.

You forgot "ugly"

I wonder how that could be promoted? "Come get the ugliest mod ever made!"

Reactions: puffon

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Hey Bakelite can be beautiful:
    catalin-box-art-deco-end-of-day_3(1).jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    You forgot ugly..

And no one really wants to buy an ugly mod...
    Bakelite is. Laminate Bakelite paper only sometimes... well, ok, usually is. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder though.
    Example: I use laminate in every one of my kitchens, except the ones I did myself in hand laid tile because I had more time than money and didn’t have a laminate cutter. It’s tougher than almost everything else and costs 1/5th the price even installed. And I can install it myself. Most kitchen counter materials are ridiculously bad functionally. They’re porous, scratch easily, chip, crack, melt, wear down, are difficult to clean, etc... and they do it while costing multiple times as much. Laminate has two functional flaws as a kitchen countertop: it has brown edges and you can scorch it. That’s it. That’s all.
    The only thing all modern countertop materials have in common is one thing: no brown edges. A very few of them also won’t scorch. Most will though, or worse, melt under the same level of heat. By every single other metric they’re worse. And people pay 5-20 times as much for them.

To me brown edges are beautiful. To many they are ugly. They are not a status symbol. They do not say “I spent an extra 5-20 grand on my kitchen for literally no good reason at all”. Status symbols are big these days. I know a woman who carries no joke, 3 handbags wherever she goes, each with a metalized logo on it the size of my fist. It seems to make her happy. I very much doubt her kitchen countertops have brown edges. Mine do.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Bakelite is. Laminate Bakelite paper only sometimes... well, ok, usually is. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder though.
    Example: I use laminate in every one of my kitchens, except the ones I did myself in hand laid tile because I had more time than money and didn’t have a laminate cutter. It’s tougher than almost everything else and costs 1/5th the price even installed. And I can install it myself. Most kitchen counter materials are ridiculously bad functionally. They’re porous, scratch easily, chip, crack, melt, wear down, are difficult to clean, etc... and they do it while costing multiple times as much. Laminate has two functional flaws as a kitchen countertop: it has brown edges and you can scorch it. That’s it. That’s all.
    The only thing all modern countertop materials have in common is one thing: no brown edges. A very few of them also won’t scorch. Most will though, or worse, melt under the same level of heat. By every single other metric they’re worse. And people pay 5-20 times as much for them.

To me brown edges are beautiful. To many they are ugly. They are not a status symbol. They do not say “I spent an extra 5-20 grand on my kitchen for literally no good reason at all”. Status symbols are big these days. I know a woman who carries no joke, 3 handbags wherever she goes, each with a metalized logo on it the size of my fist. It seems to make her happy. I very much doubt her kitchen countertops have brown edges. Mine do.

What most women want in their kitchens are countertops that don't easily scratch or burn..

Burning can happen accidentally, or just due to close proximity with those old countertops. And forget skipping the cutting board when your in a hurry..

Modern countertops that are more costly - since you are bringing up cost - aren't susceptible to that type of permanent damage without solid effort to actually damage them; it won't occur because you set a hot plate down without thinking.

As far as mods, people don't want mods that scratch like Bakelite can, or burn.. what happens to bakelite around a too warm atty? the same God awful burning that occurs with old counters?

I wouldn't buy that.. for real. There are far more durable products available today.

Last edited:
    Reactions: puffon

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    What most women want in their kitchens are countertops that don't easily scratch or burn..

Burning can happen accidentally, or just due to close proximity with those old countertops. And forget skipping the cutting board when your in a hurry..

Modern countertops that are more costly - since you are bringing up cost - aren't susceptible to that type of permanent damage without solid effort to actually damage them; it won't occur because you set a hot plate down without thinking.

As far as mods, people don't want mods that scratch like Bakelite can, or burn.. what happens to bakelite around a too warm atty? the same God awful burning that occurs with old counters?

I wouldn't buy that.. for real. There are far more durable products available today.
    As to the countertops the problem is they usually do. Just as badly. Or worse. And the materials that don’t often have even bigger different problems and are even more expensive. As a general rule either they melt or are porous. The only thing I know of that is non porous, heat resistant, won’t cut, and won’t scorch is solid stainless. It’s wildly expensive, tends to dent, requires special cleaners, and scratches. IT’s not even as good as laminate. The only reason people even look at it is it’s a code requirement for food service for the four above reasons and therefore makes your kitchen look more “pro”. The code requirement before stainless was end grain butchers block. It was porous, but you could scrape entire layers off it exposing new wood. Effectively a disposable layer system. Even more expensive than stainless though. The nonporus ones are plastic and melt. The nonmelty ones are various kinds of stone and are porous. It’s merely a matter of which kind of discoloration you’re willing to pay extra for. People claim you can “seal” stone. With plastic. It wears off or melts off and needs to be reapplied. which no one does.

I did forget cut. Knives will mark laminate.

The solid Bakelite mod thing I will totally buy though. There are good reasons Bakelite is used for almost nothing anymore. My thought was wrapping the outside of a mod in laminate. Might have issues with the juice though so perhaps even that isn’t a good idea.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    So, I had Corian countertops in am apartment once. Looked very nice and didn't seem to need any special treatments like granite or sealed concrete ( another surpringly nice counter surface). And it appeared there weren't any seams, don't know how that's done but made for a nice look. I have no idea how that's done whether glue or heat or both. Granted I can see how you could gouge it with a knife, but you'd have to work at it unlike a laminate. I wonder if you can make a box out of it to use as a mod enclosure. The look wod be stone but obviously very lightweight. In a sense it would kinda be like an all resin mod (or maybe panels if not the whole thing). It would certainly be a different look, good or bad. Not sure which.

Oh, and as to the effects of discussions meandering on the internet, well, I figure we should all be used to that as our attention spans have been deliberately worn away to a minute at best. Call it the Instagram effect.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    So, I had Corian countertops in am apartment once. Looked very nice and didn't seem to need any special treatments like granite or sealed concrete ( another surpringly nice counter surface). And it appeared there weren't any seams, don't know how that's done but made for a nice look. I have no idea how that's done whether glue or heat or both. Granted I can see how you could gouge it with a knife, but you'd have to work at it unlike a laminate. I wonder if you can make a box out of it to use as a mod enclosure. The look wod be stone but obviously very lightweight. In a sense it would kinda be like an all resin mod (or maybe panels if not the whole thing). It would certainly be a different look, good or bad. Not sure which.

Oh, and as to the effects of discussions meandering on the internet, well, I figure we should all be used to that as our attention spans have been deliberately worn away to a minute at best. Call it the Instagram effect.

Corian - Wikipedia
    Epoxy and stone dust.
    This is the stone:
    Gibbsite - Wikipedia
    Aluminum oxide is rugged stuff. Sapphires are aluminum oxide. As to how it’s attached, my guess is more epoxy and a bit of polishing. It would be heavier and less rugged than stabwood because the wood acts as a fiberous matrix like fiberglass whereas stone powder won’t.

I looked at corian type materials when I started redoing my kitchens. It’s both multiple times more expensive and simultaneously doesn’t last as long. It’s not bad though, and I didn’t look at casting it myself.
    If I was to make a mod out of it what I would probably do is make a negative mold and cast around it. To make it rugged enough I would first wrap the negative mold in a layer or two of fiberglass tape trying to stay at least 1/8th of an inch inside my projected final form. Silicone rubber Works well as a mold. It wears quickly though. Vulcanize it if a run of more than 10 or so is wanted. If it’s just a 1 off, plaster with motor oil as a release agent works. Plaster will shatter and then the remainder will wash away with some scrubbing. To make it shiney you make an outer mold for the final form and use gel coat on the inside before pouring in your resin/stone mix. This stuff should work with the vibration method. The only issue is the stone dust will pack up like concrete and if you vibrate it too much you could actually burst your mold. It may also settle, leaving a translucent bit. Probably have to make the mold proud in one direction then grind it off.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread