Looking for a powerfull starter E Cig, (I also have some concerns about E-Cigs and need opinions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokosa

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2009
Maryland - United States
www.youtube.com
Welcome Mikenet! I would definitely recommend the Volt from smokelessimage.com - simply because of two things. It's compact and it performs impressively. I don't say "well," or "above expectations," I say "impressively" because the little thing produces a LOT of vapor for a simple 3.7v e-cig. It's very easy to use, to handle, and to operate. It works on it's own cartomizers (which around about $8.50 for a pack of 5) which you can get prefilled or empty and use your own juice. $30 gets you a basic kit, one battery, 5 carts and a charger. And extra $14 gets you an extra battery plus a wall charger.

I, personally, don't use the Volt, but I know ones who do and it has been the easiest transition for them. They've used my eGo's, my ProVari, plus other various devices, and none attached them more to the idea of vaping more than the Volt. If you are truely interested in a place to start, you can't pass up the Volt.

bruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
Louisville, KY
I don't think Mad Vapes has genuine eGo kits. Joye and Janty are genuine eGo. For genuine Joye eGo, go to Liberty-Flights and look at their kits. Be sure to click the 20% off button at the top of the page. The Mad Vapes cartomizers (cartos) are good. Order some, but also order the 510 shorty extension just in case there is a contact problem between the carto and battery. The cartos work well with the eGo battery. BTW, Gourmet Vapor is having a 50% off sale on liquids. The code is vapefest. Keep in mind that when they do this, shipping time is delayed because they get deluged with orders.

Mikenet

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
North Carolina
I just wanted to thank the forum members here for all their input, I spent hours researching the products mentioned here and have decided to go with the Maxi Roughstick. I still need help and advice buying components for it however, and E-Liquid.

I created a new forum for anyone who has any input on this model and compatible parts.....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ecomondations-parts-e-liquid.html#post4065612

Thanks again for your help

Mike

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
This Maxi Roughstack setup looks very nice too! I like that I can upgrade the batteries. By the looks of it, it seems like the base part is wider than the part that the carto screws into, and that the switch is on the top of the battery casing instead of on the side. This is fine though, it kind of makes it look like a pipe.

I want to know a little more about this before I make a decision because I'm still looking at Ego devices, and others as well.

Fist of all, is their a USB pass through that is compatible with this, which is available at Madvapes?

I want to be able to save my batteries when possible.

Also, I noticed that the switch replacement part is out of stock at madvapes. Do the switches last long with these units?
More importantly how easy will it be to find parts for this elsewhere if I have to, because it looks like a new product?

The roughstack is by no means a new product. They've been around for some time and have a large following. I have to say that I don't own one. I like VV but, that might be a little pricey for you right now. However, it seemed like it might be what you are looking for and for what you get, it's a good deal. By all accounts, it's nearly indestructible but, the switch is it's weakest point. As for passthroughs, to get that you will have to go with a proprietary battery like an eGo which a lot of people like but, I personally don't recommend. The epower uses generic batteries but, there's no passthrough capability for it either. I wouldn't worry too much. You won't manage to go through 2 18650 batteries in a day even if you use it for a pacifier.

As far as I know, only madvapes sells the roughstack. The batteries are available anywhere. The cheapest source I've found for most of them is dealextreme. It takes about 3 weeks to get them from there though.

Lastly if I get the Maxi Roughstack V2 without the kit, what charger should I get? I want one that will charge any of the batteries that are compatible with this unit if possible. Doesn't matter if it's USB or AC, as long as it works good.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm definitely a newb at this.

A lot of people will tell you to get the Pila charger from Super T among other places but, it's pretty pricey. I've been pleased with the Trustfire TR-001. It's cheap and it's available a lot of places including madvapes. They also carry an adapter to plug it into a cigarette lighter. That came in handy on a 10 hour drive for me a week ago. :)

When one of my two Riva batteries died I was considering a roughtstack too. It seemed like the most favorably reviewed mod in that price range. I ended up sticking with the Riva (since I found batteries for $12 each after discount at Liberty Flights) but I'd be curious to know how that works out.

In terms of e-liquid: since you have the willingness put down the money for a mod and to figure out the ins and outs of it, perhaps mixing your own juice would suit you. I believe it's more cost effective than buying juice, plus you can play around with it and figure out what flavors you like and what strength you need without the risk of wasting much juice.

I get my flavorings from Totally Wicked, since they have a ton of options for flavorings. I might recommend buying PG/VG and especially nicotine juice elsewhere though, as TW tends to be pricey.

VapRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2011
FL
For that it does not provide nic I got hit pretty hard as I started with 36mg/ml and the 24mg/ml.
So much so that I had to go to 18 and could only keep that up for a week or two.
Now I am settled at 12mg/ml for cravings and 6mg/ml for heavy vaping.
You will find the right nic level and equipment that I am sure of.
Equipment and Liquid advice I will leave to the more experienced since I am a noob myself.
Just read allot around and ask questions as you already did and you will be a happy Vapor in no time.

Mikenet

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
North Carolina
A lot of people will tell you to get the Pila charger from Super T among other places but, it's pretty pricey. I've been pleased with the Trustfire TR-001. It's cheap and it's available a lot of places including madvapes. They also carry an adapter to plug it into a cigarette lighter. That came in handy on a 10 hour drive for me a week ago. :)

The Trustfire TR-001 is out of stock unfortunately,:( But I think this cheaper one will work, it's the same model that comes with the kit, it think.....

AG-126 Lithium Ion Battery Charger

I hate going with the cheapest one but the TR-001 and the AG-126 are both under 10 dollars and thats as high as I can go for my first setup, considering everything else I plan to get.

Mikenet

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
North Carolina
For that it does not provide nic I got hit pretty hard as I started with 36mg/ml and the 24mg/ml.
So much so that I had to go to 18 and could only keep that up for a week or two.
Now I am settled at 12mg/ml for cravings and 6mg/ml for heavy vaping.
You will find the right nic level and equipment that I am sure of.
Equipment and Liquid advice I will leave to the more experienced since I am a noob myself.
Just read allot around and ask questions as you already did and you will be a happy Vapor in no time.

I never really said that they don't provide nicotine, I said that I'm not convinced that they do provide it. Well, the E-Juice and prefilled cartridges certainly contain various levels of nicotine. However the effectiveness of it's delivery is whats being disputed, by some.

My position at this point on this, is that I have no position. I won't know for sure until I try, which I plan to do soon. :) The testimonies by the members here are encouraging, but Ive usually been a "seeing is believing" kind of guy.

Last edited:

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I'm 50 years old, smoked for over 30. I still smoke a little - around 10 cigs a day. 2 months ago, before I bought an eGo, I was smoking over 3 packs a day. I haven't completely quit yet, but I'm convinced that I will. I'm very impressed with how well this has worked. I mostly get cravings after eating. I'm using 24 mg fluid. (That's the nicotine level.) I'm not pushing hard to quit, just taking it easy.

I recommend getting two eGo 1000 mah batteries, a charger, and a wall plug. Add a few EMDCC's, and juice, and you'll be good to go.

The EMDCC's are good - but one thing they aren't good for is testing out a new flavor. They are designed to hold a lot of juice, and with a new flavor, you don't want to fill one of those and find out that you hate it. So you might want to get an atomizer and drip tip for testing flavors.

In just under 2 months, I've spent almost exactly $300 on various "stuff". But a lot of that is from experimenting with different things, buying extras for backups, trying different juices. I could certainly have spent less money - but I'd have spent more on cigs if I was smoking as much as I was before. And right now, I have a lot of stuff, so if I made that choice, I could stop buying all vaping related stuff for a couple of months, and just use what I have. What I actually expect to do is to buy a higher end mod. Probably a Buzz Pro. Something that will give let me vape at a higher voltage (more vapor, faster), and ideally, with variable voltage so I can find my sweet spot.

The money is worth it to me. I'd spend more on cigarettes, and this is actually working. I never thought I'd quit cigs. I was very, very addicted. I thought I'd still be smoking when I died. But within a few days of getting my eGo, I was smoking between 1 and 1.5 packs a day, down from 3+ packs a day. After a few weeks, I was averaging about a pack a day, and I wasn't even trying. I started noticing that often, I would light a cig out of habit - just grab it and light it up. And that I would take the first hit and then think "Darn, I didn't need this, I'd have been just as happy vaping". So I started setting the cigs far enough away that I couldn't grab them out of habit. Now I can still get to them easily, but I have to think about it, not just grab them. That keeps me around 10 a day.

I could probably quit them right now. But I'm not pushing. Some people get a lot of withdrawal problems when they quit, and I smoked so much for so long, I'm going slow in hopes of avoiding that. I plan to try and set a 5 cig a day limit soon, do that for 2 or 3 weeks, and then make the jump to "none at all".

Almost everyone here on ECF vapes, and managed to get off the cigs by using a PV. It works. And if you were smoking much at all, the cost is easily justified off of what you save from not buying cigs. So it makes sense financially. It's healthier. It doesn't smell like cigs do. You can do it in more places. (Not everywhere, but a lot more places than you can smoke.)

And the forums here are a great support group. Have a question? Just ask, you you'll get some help right away. So many of us quit a habit that had dogged us for many years, it's sort of like getting religion. You want to spread the word, you want to help save the next guy. :)

Good luck.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I never really said that they don't provide nicotine, I said that I'm not convinced that they do provide it. Well, the E-Juice and prefilled cartridges certainly contain various levels of nicotine. However the effectiveness of it's delivery is whats being disputed, by some.

My position at this point on this, is that I have no position. I won't know for sure until I try, which I plan to do soon. :) The testimonies by the members here are encouraging, but Ive usually been a "seeing is believing" kind of guy.

I'm 100% convinced that nicotine is delivered. If it wasn't, then I'd be going nuts all the time for lack of it. I've tried quitting many times before, with no luck. I'd get antsy, then angry, I'd get jittery, I hated everything around me, and everyone around me hated me.

Now I'm barely smoking, and I'm not going through *any* of that. Because the juice is giving me nicotine.

I don't blame you for having doubts. I didn't really expect this to work when I started, either.

But it's working.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
The Trustfire TR-001 is out of stock unfortunately,:( But I think this cheaper one will work, it's the same model that comes with the kit, it think.....

AG-126 Lithium Ion Battery Charger

I hate going with the cheapest one but the TR-001 and the AG-126 are both under 10 dollars and thats as high as I can go for my first setup, considering everything else I plan to get.

I used one of those for a while for 14500s. It worked fine. I like the TR-001 a little better but, that one wasn't bad. Once you settle down to the batteries you want, I suggest you order some spares from dealextreme. The batteries are about half the price there. They have that charger too. You can buy it with the money you save. Make sure you get protected batteries. I prefer Trustfire flames. Just allow a month for delivery.

pebo88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
Canada
  • Deleted by UntamedRose
  • Reason: No spamming for post count. Try again
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread