Looking for HONEST answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Hi, Provariphiles! So I kicked a very nasty cigarette habit only to pick up a pretty troubling pv monkey:blush:. I'd really love to hear only from folks who've tried BOTH the Vamo and the Provari, here. I've got a Vamo, but I'm trying hard to convert a very stubborn friend of the family. I let her borrow my Vamo and a few vivi novae for 3 weeks, but it has not done the trick; and she still can't imagine giving up the Marlboros. Is the vape really much different/better with the Provari? I know it's way better to buy American, and I really do always try to, but the cash is a major issue for her. Any honest feedback is MUCH appreciated!

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks, guys. She's using 24mg juice only and claims that she really wants to quit. I have a VV Grand on the way (for me!), and I'll let her borrow it to see if that makes any difference. She'd known one person who told her she had to get the Provari, so she's interested. But I just can't figure how it would be that different from the Vamo. I've only converted one person in nearly 3 years of this, which I take as something of a personal failure:p!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Is she truly comfortable with the size and weight of a mod? It might be a size thing that she has issues with. She might do better with a slimmer and lighter eGo?

I happen to believe that finding a couple of flavors of juice that you don't mind using all day to be equally, if not more important, than the battery device. Has she tried a variety of different flavors? Is she hell-bent on finding a flavor that is going to taste like a cigarette? You know the drill for that.

What juice carrying device is she using? She may need to try a variety of types to find the right vape experience for her. If I had started out using clearomizers or a clearotank (Vivi Nova), I'm not sure if I would have been as successful quitting, I just prefer cartos and cartotanks.

Is she resisting vaping with typical coughing issues? Many smokers resist vaping by exagerated coughing and saying, "That's way to harsh for me!" If she is sincerely having issues with newbie coughing, advise that it is common among new vapors and will soon pass. It takes time for the body to adjust to vapor, just as it took it time to adjust to cigarette smoke.

It's also not necessary to inhale the vapor to absorb the nicotine; just suck on the device like one would suck on a milkshake, hold it in her mouth, and exhale through the nose and mouth. Also important to know that the nose assists the tongue to "taste" flavors in the vapor.

It's not necessary to quit cold turkey with vaping. I advise people to vape as much and as frequently as they wish, and when a cigarette craving comes along, vape even more frequently to overcome the craving. If that doesn't help, she may smoke half of a cigarette and save the rest for later. After a couple of days of steady vaping and occassional smoking with those partially smoked cigs, the cigs will start tasting pretty nasty. Remember, it's not just the cigs you smoke...it's the ones that you don't.
_______

Edit: I forgot to add...As much as I love my Provari and believe it is the best vaping device for ME, I don't believe it is a difference maker for the situation you have described. Proper vaping technique, the juice, and the right juice carrying device is more important in my opinion.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I'd suggest asking your friend for some honest answers about what she doesnt like about it and go from there

It could be that she isnt ready to quit yet. I have a little brother who wont even try mine cause he says he's worried about it making his heart flutter.Total B.S...he just doesnt want to quit. When I pressed him on it he said he would just quit cold turkey. I'll believe it when I see it :) I love him to death but he's gotta be ready before it happens.

It's easy to do, especially when weve found something thats damn near a miracle but we have to be careful that we dont come across like those people who knock on your door on Saturday mornings at 7am.

Have aheart to heart with her and honestly listen to what she's saying. Just because she isnt ready now doesnt mean she wont be 3 months or even 5 years from now.

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Okay, I'm gonna seem like a stalker if I start a Baditude appreciation thread, but someone really should! By the way, I just got my second IBtank, a Rio Carnival one, because I've finally gotten the hang of the first -- all thanks to you. No, she's actually complaining the opposite of the "too harsh" chorus. Even with the Vamo cranked up, she says it does not pack the requisite punch of a Marlboro Red. That's why I came to this sub-forum to see if the Provari could punch her more soundly. Should I buy something higher than 24mg for her (I'm happy down to 12mg)? I really am frustrated that I've only turned one smoker (my aunt) in 3 whole years:-x!

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
you could try 36mg juice and more pg in your blends. Get her some Atomic Cinnacide too. If that doesnt knock her on her .... nothing will :)

*edit If you do try the cinnamon juices just be aware they are a known lung irritant. Some people vape them all the time but others might need another type of juice to fall back on in case its too much.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Okay, I'm gonna seem like a stalker if I start a Baditude appreciation thread, but someone really should! By the way, I just got my second IBtank, a Rio Carnival one, because I've finally gotten the hang of the first -- all thanks to you. No, she's actually complaining the opposite of the "too harsh" chorus. Even with the Vamo cranked up, she says it does not pack the requisite punch of a Marlboro Red. That's why I came to this sub-forum to see if the Provari could punch her more soundly. Should I buy something higher than 24mg for her (I'm happy down to 12mg)? I really am frustrated that I've only turned one smoker (my aunt) in 3 whole years:-x!

I vaped for nine months before I was able to convert any of my friends or relatives. Now, here in the last couple of months 4 or 5 friends/relatives have started vaping. So morale of the story is: once people are genuinely ready to quit, they will be open minded to give the proper dedication and willpower necessary to vape to quit. Cigarettes are SO much easier than vaping. Vaping is work.

Has your friend tried some of the stronger flavors like cinnamon, the mints, or menthol. Some of those on high voltage should provide quite a hit I would think.

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Zapped, you're another fave of mine, and I think you keep some of the same weirdo vampire hours I do :thumbs:(or late-nights for me are your super-early hours). I'm already ahead of you guys with the cinnamon and menthol juices for her. But she's pretty much only used the vivi novae. Maybe I'll take the plunge with 36mg (she's so caffeinated that I was hesitant), and maybe give her my first IBtank when my second arrives. I'm really thinking the vivi might be to blame, as she does seem legit about wanting to switch. She does keep mentioning spending her last dime on the Provari. Can I assure her that won't make the difference?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Zapped, you're another fave of mine, and I think you keep some of the same weirdo vampire hours I do :thumbs:(or late-nights for me are your super-early hours). I'm already ahead of you guys with the cinnamon and menthol juices for her. But she's pretty much only used the vivi novae. Maybe I'll take the plunge with 36mg (she's so caffeinated that I was hesitant), and maybe give her my first IBtank when my second arrives. I'm really thinking the vivi might be to blame, as she does seem legit about wanting to switch. She does keep mentioning spending her last dime on the Provari. Can I assure her that won't make the difference?

Seems like a sound plan to me. I would of course advise her again that the juice and delivery device has more to do with what she seems to be seeking, but perhaps the financial commitment to having a Provari will be enough to push her over the edge towards success.

Provari's do have a sort of illusion ability to convince some owners that it actually makes their juices taste better. Most of us know that belief is in their own minds, but it might just work in her case.

If she decides the Provari isn't all that, they certainly aren't that difficult to get most of your money back in the classifieds.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Id try the carto tank before getting a Provari....Not everyone but a pretty decent amount of people have noticed that throat hit and flavor are muted in a Nova....might be the case with her.

Id try the less expensive options before going with the Provari but like Baditude said it may be the impetus that helps her quit. I know for me, I HAD to quit for 2 months to make sure I got my money out of it.

thecatanddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Earth
if this helps:
I had a vamo for less than 24 hours and sold it (really nothing special IMO), ordered a Provari, and am going to be ordering a second. I WILL NEVER buy another chinese MOD again, from here on out it's only Provaris, and I mean that. I didn't want to have to worry about not if, but WHEN the Vamo was going to take a crap on me. It's hastily made in mass quantities in China...enough said.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
Just a thought. I found the Vivi nova to be too tight of a draw for me. I felt like I had to drag slow on it or the muscle under my tongue would get sore. This left me feeling like I couldn't get a good hit from it. I wonder if she should try a carto if you have some laying around. Maybe a more airy draw would suit her.

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
What he said. I have & use both daily.

I had to start @ 36mg and still smoked a bit for about a week. Finding the right flavor is important too. If she's really looking for a tobacco taste, MyVapeJuice.com has some wonderful tobacco flavors.

the provari love is really for users already into it, it is just a more better device so we can have the form and reliability it affords us.
but for someone switching - if a vamo isnt doing it for them then a provari wont either.

Beretta

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
Mars
I am severely biased right towards a Provari and nothing else, and quickly becoming a fanboy. With my experience limited to an eGo-C starting kit, and a Provari mini, I cannot give an honest answer.

Given that said, I doubt anyone would be disappointed with a Provari mini, regardless if they are being honest with themselves about quitting smoking. A good APV goes a long way in giving a better experience, and the Provari does not fail.

PROVARI!!!! :evil:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009

Awww, thats so sweet :) Its the vampire thing.I take online classes and do them at night since its the only time I have to myself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread