Looking for m401 cart mod recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Hello
So I'm a diehard KR808d-1 user because A...I hate having to fiddle around with something....I just want to pick it up and use it. B..it just happens to be the first e-cig I found when I originally started looking at them on the Net. So now I would like to try something different because the big drawback of KRs is the cost of the cartomizers. So if you want to get into DIY with juices it can get really expensive and massively time consuming real fast. I had heard the the 401 is a really good/fun model because it has the exposed atty so you can do the "dipping" thing. I already tried the 801 and the 901 and seem to be a total spaz when it come to using them. I burned out the 901s within days and I still cannot get a decent hit that doesn't taste like burning metal out of the 801s. Getting to the point here....:)

Does "dipping" present the same problems of juice in the batteries as dripping seems to? And if it does then does it even matter rather I get auto or manual since I will be taking the same risk with both of them?

Thanks for any advice. I am looking at an authentic Smoores starter kit for $40 and the Smart PCC is 17.50 at the same site. OR I can get a Pass Through for $15. This is a USA seller so no big shipping charges and no weeks long wait. That seems like a pretty good deal to me. So given that I will not be using this as my primary vaping device does anyone have an opinion on rather to get a battery kit or the PT? Also I am comparing it to the Totem 302 at http://www.vsvapor.net/starter-kit-VS-Totem-302-(Pen-style)-57 That seems like a good value too but the 401 seems like it's more widely used and easier to get parts for. So any opinions on that are welcomed also.

Thank You!!!:D

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
I also have a KR808 and love it for going out. I still use my 401 at home where I do dip w/ it.

So far I haven't ruined any batts dipping. I've had good luck w/ both auto and manual but some have not. The autos are noted for a stiffer draw.

You still can flood the atty although it's not as common since the wick absorbs what it needs. If you do end up w/ one, be sure to drain (upside down on a paper towel) the atty when you first get it, then prime it a couple times by dipping. This gets rid of the nasty primer fluid. Contact lens cases work great for dipping.

I've also been seeing some 510 users getting the 306 exposed atty. It has the same threads as the 510. Yet another option to consider...

I don't have any experience w/ the totem so I'll leave that for another poster.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
I also have a KR808 and love it for going out. I still use my 401 at home where I do dip w/ it.

While I'm still wrestling with a way to make effective, no fuss, use of the m40x carts and don't plan on giving up so easily... I am thinking about picking up a KR808 for the convenience factor too, the larger carts look appetizing to me.

Lorikay, do you refill your cartomizers? I've seen some video clips demonstrating how to do that with claims that they can be refilled 6 or 7 or 8 times over. If you do end up getting an m40x, I'd very much recommend "blowing out" the new atty prior repriming with the juice of your choice and using it. They come with an unpleasant tasting liquid primer in them that you want to get rid of. You can get most of it out by blowing thru the battery end, out the other side holding a tissue on the bridge side to wick up the goo that comes out. (put the batt end in your mouth and blow as if thru a straw).

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Thank you both for your helpful replies.

Yes! Absolutely they can be refilled. My personal method of choice is an combination of all of them depending on the situation. If I am just sitting at the PC I leave the end caps off on put some type of mouthpiece on it. A 901 empty cartridge with the little rectangular plug taken out of the "whistle" is just perfect. You do have to cut some of the other end off because you don't want it touching the atomizer coil. Or if you know someone that uses 801's ask them to keep the dummy mouthpiece that comes with a new atty. It is a perfect fit over the cartimizer. If all else fails there is always just cutting a hole into the little rubber cover that comes with a cartimizer (refered to as "condoms"). Then I can just add a couple drops when ever I want without having to mess around with prying off the caps.
OR....you can just put a couple drops in the battery end and let it sit for a few minutes. All kind of ways.......but the bottom line is I love the KR...yes,there is a learning curve. You can burn up the little coil in there and then you have to throw that carto away. Once it starts to burn there is no getting rid of the taste. But if your orginized enough...which I am not :) you don't even have to wash them. Just keep them labeled and refill them with the same juice. Otherwise you can just wash them out with hot water. Never anything else. Blow them out and let them dry overnight. You can use them right away if you have too, it wont' hurt anything other than the flavor and vapor will be diminished a little.

So it sounds like you are not perfectly happy with your m401. Is there a particular reason ?

Thanks!
LK

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Here's pictures of the 901 mouthpiece with a standard 280-300mah battery. They also make a 380 mah battery that will rivele most mods as far as how much time you get out of one charge. I personally think it is best to have at least two with you and rotate them if your a "mad vaper" so they don't overheat. (they do NOT ever get that hot as far as burning you...I think it just extends their life a little thats all)

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Okay....I think I have decided what I'm gonna do. Any comments are appreciated.
I am going to get a 510 Pass Through, an adapter and M401 addys. Reason being the 510 PT is the only one I know of that has the inline battery. IF I understand all this corrextly, and I may not, with the inline battery this is not a true high voltage device. Which for me is a good thing. Then I can get a pair of adapters...one for the 401 and one for the KR808D-1 and I should be all set. Now if I could just find a place that sells all of this. Would you believe it....Health Cabin has one adapter but not the other and it's vice-versus at Heaven Gifts!!!

Guineahill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
King George Virginia USA
Initially I had just rinsed it in cool tap water. Then prior to really putting them to use for a day, I let the foam sit in cool tap water overnight. Is there a better way to wash this stuff?

I just wash with hot water. I let it soak for a few minutes and rinse. No soap or anything that might leave a residue. If I change flavors I will blot on a tissue or rinse with warm water depending on where I am. I also rinse if I start to notice a residue.

;)

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Thanks for the outline of how you deal with KR8 carts.

So it sounds like you are not perfectly happy with your m401. Is there a particular reason ?

Overall, I think the m401 works great. Its the only model I've tried, and mostly I'm curious if other models would work better for me (not saying they would or wouldn't). I guess the only thing I'd really like to improve upon is cartridge size and eliquid delivery from a cart after its been partially depleted. My m40x hits great when its topped off, but tapers off after that, and then they're just not that large in total (8/9 drops total capacity).

I just received some new goodies in the mail yesterday. "XL" carts, a pair new new attys, and some 24 mg Rath Juice, Lemonade and Ebacco.

* The "XL" carts are definitely an improvement capacity wise, but they don't fit properly in the PCC, the lid won't close since they're a little longer. The "XL" cart on the short m403 battery does fit in the case in the slot for the fully assembled cig. On the m402, its too tall. And the "XL" carts are just a little too tall for the cart slots too.

* The Rath Juice in a new atty makes really satisfying clouds of vapor!

* Ebacco is a curious flavor. Difficult to describe. Has a strong peppery/musty taste to it. Not sure if i like it yet, but it did hit the spot this morning.

* Whoa... 24mg may be toooo much nicotine for me. I should probaby stick with the 16/18 mg level for the most part. Maybe a couple of hits off of 24mg first thing in the morning to ramp up to cruising altitude.

Added up, hi nic level + a strong unsweet flavor + big plumes of vapor, I found this to be a pretty satisfying combination. I still have some analogs in reserve, but this combo put the thought of sparking up one of those things far out of mind.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
I just wash with hot water. I let it soak for a few minutes and rinse. No soap or anything that might leave a residue. If I change flavors I will blot on a tissue or rinse with warm water depending on where I am. I also rinse if I start to notice a residue.;)

So, I was finally able to get the unpleasant taste out of the blue foam.

* [Total Failure] First I tried washing in warm water with some dish soap. That was a big mistake, traded subtle blue foam scents and tastes for overwhelming perfumed soap stench that refused to come out no matter how much I rinsed. That sleeve of rite-size U got pitched in the trash.

* [Getting Warmer] I rinsed repeatedly in very hot filtered water, but still could smell it even after several rinsing's.

* [Finally] I boiled the previously repeatedly rinsed foam in a pot of filtered water for a few minutes. That worked.

The foam works pretty good, but I don't know if i'd say its a dramatic improvement over the polyfill. Defintely better than the prefilled carts (with too much prefilled polyfill in them), but compared to a cart with an appropiately trimmed down amount of polyfill, its a closer contest.

I've been using both the foam and polyfill for the last couple of days.

pm2006

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I'm not sure what all the fiddling about with straws and springs and such is all about. A while ago someone posted an aquaclear mod. Aquaclear can be found in the aquarium section. (it's for a filter). It looks like mesh. Not dense at all. I fill my cart 1 or 2 drops from the top and twist a very small piece of Aquaclear into the cart. Add another drop or 2 for wicking purposes and off you go. Reusable over and over.

Simple is sometimes better.

P.S. The 401 xl carts are not much bigger.

Guineahill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
King George Virginia USA
I'm not sure what all the fiddling about with straws and springs and such is all about. A while ago someone posted an aquaclear mod. Aquaclear can be found in the aquarium section. (it's for a filter). It looks like mesh. Not dense at all. I fill my cart 1 or 2 drops from the top and twist a very small piece of Aquaclear into the cart. Add another drop or 2 for wicking purposes and off you go. Reusable over and over.

Simple is sometimes better.

P.S. The 401 xl carts are not much bigger.

Everyone vapes differently. Some chain vape, some just take a hit here and there, some draw very deep, and others take shallow hits. All the different cart modifications have different properties. What works for ME won't necessarily work for YOU. And what works for YOU won't necessarily work for ME.

The Blue Foam Dart works best for me. Thank goodness there are so many mods for people to try so that they can find what works best for them! ;)

The inner cart of a regular size cartridge holds 0.3 ml. The inner cart of the xl cartridge holds 0.4 ml. That is 33% more. These measurements were taken without filler.

Last edited:

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
The inner cart of a regular size cartridge holds 0.3 ml. The inner cart of the xl cartridge holds 0.5 ml. That is 67% more. These measurements were taken without filler.

I like the extra capacity, but I don't like that they don't fit well in the PCC. In particular the lid doesn't close with an XL cart on the 402 batt in the fully assembled slot. Although I do use them around the house.

Do you know how the EVO carts compare on capacity and dimensions? I haven't seen them yet.

Here's a pic of XL vs the standard 401 cart.

Attachments

• xlcart.jpg
    xlcart.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 77

myrindyl

Feb 10, 2010
Austin TX
The inner cart of a regular size cartridge holds 0.3 ml. The inner cart of the xl cartridge holds 0.5 ml. That is 67% more. These measurements were taken without filler.

Have you got any measurements for how much a regular inner cart will take with the factory-supplied filler in place? Sorry to ask such a nit-picky question but I lack the precision measuring equipment needed to get the figures myself :(

Guineahill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
King George Virginia USA
I have some EVO carts and I will measure them when I get a chance. I have gotten more than one style of theirs. The ones I have currently have the little base on the inner cart. Kind of reminds me of a footed vase.

I don't have the equipment to accurately measure the volume taken up by the filler. Perhaps someone else might have access to a lab.

:)

pm2006

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Everyone vapes differently. Some chain vape, some just take a hit here and there, some draw very deep, and others take shallow hits. All the different cart modifications have different properties. What works for ME won't necessarily work for YOU. And what works for YOU won't necessarily work for ME.

The Blue Foam Dart works best for me. Thank goodness there are so many mods for people to try so that they can find what works best for them! ;)

I vape ALL those different ways and it works for ME. Where did you get your XL carts? My standard holds 7 drops (from my dropper) and the XL holds 8. Right to the top with no filler. The standard is 5/8 of an inch tall. The XL is ALMOST 6/8 (3/4"). That's about 15% bigger. If there are bigger ones, I would love to get some. I'm thinking about moving to something with a carto. From what I hear, they hold much more.

Last edited:

Guineahill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
King George Virginia USA
I vape ALL those different ways and it works for ME. Where did you get your XL carts? My standard holds 7 drops (from my dropper) and the XL holds 8. Right to the top with no filler. The standard is 5/8 of an inch tall. The XL is ALMOST 6/8 (3/4"). That's about 15% bigger. If there are bigger ones, I would love to get some. I'm thinking about moving to something with a carto. From what I hear, they hold much more.

When I went to measure the EVO cart this evening I thought about the xl cart and realized that it couldn't be that much bigger. So I measured it again and paid attention this time. LOL

So... in summary... and with correct numbers.... and using a small syringe to measure...

My regular cart holds 0.3 ml
My XL cart holds 0.4 ml (33% larger capacity)
My bigger EVO cart holds about one drop shy of 0.4 ml
My smaller EVO cart holds 0.3 ml

I have never managed to measure accurately with drops. My regular carts hold ten drops and my XL ones hold 14. That might lead one to believe the XL ones are 40% larger. I consider the syringe measurements to be more accurate.

I got my XL carts from LiteCigUSA.

I have gotten both sizes of EVO cart from the same supplier (even in the same order) and since the outer cart is the same size there is no way to tell the difference until you open them up and examine the inner cart.

The regular carts and both sizes of EVO cart fit in the PCC.

Kr8 cartomizers hold 1 ml in comparison.

And no... I haven't found the darn clips yet!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread