Not open for further replies.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
...hook up this gizmo?

Hi Nerf,

First off thanks for the info on the Texas instruments PTNO4050CAS gizmo that should boost my Nico-Stick from 3.7v to 5v. BAM just like that--fantastic.

-Gizmosideone-reszed.jpg

gizmosidetwo_cr-reszed.jpg

Now all that's left is for me not to ruin it, blow it up, short it out, smooch this pooch---etc.

So, could you (or anyone) tell me which wire goes where?

I'm truly thankful for the help and a bit embarrassed not to be able to figure it out for myself...

Thanks man
Best Regards
fo

firhill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Port Huron MI./Ontario, CA.
A regulator drops the output voltage, these will increase the output voltage.

These will increase your input voltage of anywhere beween 3V and 5.5V to an output voltage of anywhere from 5V to 15V.

Allows you to vape at 4.5V/5V/6V etc...by using a 3V or 3.6V/3.7V single battery as your supply.

TI will send you (4)of the PTN04050Cxx as (free) samples. Using the capacitors shown (on both input and output sides) is a must, as is the setV resistor.

Last edited:

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
A regulator drops the output voltage, these will increase the output voltage.

These will increase your input voltage of anywhere beween 3V and 5.5V to an output voltage of anywhere from 5V to 15V.

Allows you to vape at 4.5V/5V/6V etc...by using a 3V or 3.6V/3.7V single battery as your supply.

TI will send you (4)of the PTN04050Cxx as (free) samples. Using the capacitors shown (on both input and output sides) is a must, as is the setV resistor.

Will these capacitors work

100µF 50V 20% Radial-lead Electrolytic Capacitor - RadioShack.com

Also, the only way I could get 4 was to get one of each type available.

Reading the spec sheet, if you don't use a resistor it defaults to 5v.

Dave Rickey

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Austin TX
Will these capacitors work

100µF 50V 20% Radial-lead Electrolytic Capacitor - RadioShack.com

Also, the only way I could get 4 was to get one of each type available.

Reading the spec sheet, if you don't use a resistor it defaults to 5v.
They're all electronically the same thing with slightly different mounting options. Getting one of each is how you get 4.

--Dave

EDIT: Also, since Vin minimum is 2.9V (and they will cut off if it falls under that) it effectively gives you another level of undervoltage protection.

--Dave

Last edited:

Lucacri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2009
Manhattan, New York
Thank you for the answers.
I am planning to use two flat cell batteries (3.7v each @1400mah with 10C discharge) in serial and a TI voltage regulator to drop the voltage at 5v. I am already doing it with two 14500 while I wait for the batteries to arrive.

If I change the schema by using the two batteries in serial to power this "voltage booster", will I gain something?
Basically the question is: with two batteries, which layout is more efficient to achieve a 5v output?

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
Ground (negative battery) to the 1, positive to the one directly below it. Voltage out (5v positive wire) is the one adjacent to the 1, top right corner. You can leave the #3 pin alone, and I'd be very careful boosting above 5 volts. The unit is only designed to handle 12 watts, and 6v on a 510 would exceed that. 6v on a 901 or 801 *should* be OK, but it's still getting close, anything over 6v is a no-go for any atomizers period with this unit.

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
I am planning to use two flat cell batteries (3.7v each @1400mah with 10C discharge) in serial and a TI voltage regulator to drop the voltage at 5v. I am already doing it with two 14500 while I wait for the batteries to arrive.

If I change the schema by using the two batteries in serial to power this "voltage booster", will I gain something?
Basically the question is: with two batteries, which layout is more efficient to achieve a 5v output?

Using 2 3.7v batteries in series will destroy this unit, as its max Vin is only 5.5v.

Cisco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
NY, State of denial
www.avidvaper.com

The Vin range for a PTNO4050C is (2.95 V to 5.5 V), 2 3.7v li-ion cells in series will have a full charge voltage of 8.4, way beyond the max limit, I would consider 2 cells in parallel.

Cisco...

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Ground (negative battery) to the 1, positive to the one directly below it. Voltage out (5v positive wire) is the one adjacent to the 1, top right corner. You can leave the #3 pin alone, and I'd be very careful boosting above 5 volts. The unit is only designed to handle 12 watts, and 6v on a 510 would exceed that. 6v on a 901 or 801 *should* be OK, but it's still getting close, anything over 6v is a no-go for any atomizers period with this unit.

Thanks Nerf,

I think I've got it---

I need the two capacitors, one to bridge the + and - before the gizmo and one to bridge the positive and negative leads post gizmo...

This all seems very strange to me, but then again I know nothing about these circuits.

Can I get a go man go?

And thanks again...
fo

Dave Rickey

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Austin TX
Just FYI, the capacitors are used to ground out high-frequency noise, if these are the only IC's in the whole device you can potentially eliminate them (your heating coil isn't going to care if there's HF wobble or spikes in the output, and LED's probably won't care either). There's a reason they didn't mount those caps in the first place.

--Dave

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Ok,

Sounds good, screw the capacitors, and the resistor---full speed ahead, I'm off to Rat Shack for the DC type N connector that's a perfect match for KR808D-1, and that wimpy little black moment switch, a bat box and what else?

That's it !!!

One 5v.--- 3.7v. 14500 battery powered Nico stick is about two hours or so away...got a do the Ham and eggs thing first.

Thanks All
fo

Last edited:

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Few things...the 14500 won't be able to drive this reliably and you absolutely NEED the low ESR caps. I've spent a ton of times playing with this chip and without the caps your voltage will be extremely erratic and the protection on the bat will be kickin in like mad.

The 18500 is borderline and the 18650 works sweet.

If you want it to be very consistent also add the 22uF ceramic caps to the input and output. It makes a very noticeable difference.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Nuck, since you have spent some time with this chip, could you post some pictures of it and the capacitors soldered up the proper way? I'm an SQL/DB programmer and this electricity stuff is a little too confusing.

I have a full walkthrough of a mod that uses this chip with a 18650 and a fistpack that shows step by step but its on another forum that I can't link to on this one. If you know the banned forum I'm speaking of you can check it out. If not, let me know and I can post a really simple test circuit Ive been using to test bat performance and base voltage adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread