Looking for Nerf...or how might one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeblond

Aug 3, 2009
I had one nicostick running at 5v ( 2x 14500 + 1 voltage regulator )
Today i received my PTN04050 and my max1811 i started to change the nicostick.
I put the batteries in parallel mode, the wires through PTN4050 and tested it... It's amazing... 5.00v stable even when i fire the atty. Baterries should last me longer because before when i hit 7v ( 3.5 at each 14500 ) the regulator would cut off the power. Now the battery can go down to 2.5v

Tomorrow i will put the usb charger ( max1811 ) and the slide switch for selecting vaping voltage and maybe some pics :)

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
Tomorrow i will put the usb charger ( max1811 ) and the slide switch for selecting vaping voltage and maybe some pics :)

Please, post this with some pictures when done. Also, a wiring diagram would be good.

I have the 5v with the 04050 working and it is great! I would really love to be able to charge this without removing the batteries.

supertrkre2812

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2009
Palatka, Fl
www.xtremevaping.com
I have built 2 of the TI 5V booster mods WITH the cap.
The vapor is outstanding.
The throat hit is outstanding.
The battery life with 2 14500 in parallel for me is 24 hours.
BUT, this thing is tempremental as all get out.
I have 4 sets of battery's, 3 sets protected, 1 set not protected.
Sometimes when I put protected batts in, they trip as soon as the button is pressed.
I check everything out with a meter, good to go. Put in the unprotected, it works like a charm. Put the protected batts back in, they trip. Other times they work fine.
Unit will work fine for a few days, then blow 2 atty's in 5 minutes, 3rd atty will work fine for a few days, then blow 2 attys again.
I have gone through 4 atty's in 3 days.
I guess I will either have to buy more atty's, or go back to 3.7 Volts.
Does anyone make heavy duty atty's that won't blow at 5 volts?

Levy

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
Regards,
I've built more than a few of these TI 5v. box mods.

Mine use single 14500 AW brand 3.7 volt bats and can "at times" be temperamental...

No telling what exactly happens? but there are steps you can take, such as disconnecting that bat to reset the the protection circuit---also the boards themselves are thermally protected so heat can set off the protection too...

I use cartomizers and have never burned their attys out.

excess juice can cause a fault too...

bottom line: It's a great way to get to 5v. and excessive protection is not really a bad thing in the long run.

Just my two cents
Regards
fo

supertrkre2812

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2009
Palatka, Fl
www.xtremevaping.com
I understand that protection is a good thing, but the way it acts is funny.
Sometimes, as soon as i push the button, it trips. All i do is turn the on-off switch off then back on and it works.
Other times i push the button, take a 1 1/2 second drag and when i release the button, it trips, then i have to cycle the on-off switch again.
It seems like if there was a short, as soon as i pressed the button it would trip, not after it has been on for a sec or two.
I have gotten where i am using the unprotected batts more and more. With the unprotected batts it works like a champ.
Is there a way to check the caps and make sure they are ok?
I have no idea how to check a capacitor, especially one that is piggybacked on to another one.
Levy

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
How old are the protected batteries you're using? Over time, li-ions won't hold as much of a charge, so when you place it under load - especially the even heavier load from the regulator, the voltage will drop below the safe level. The new-ish 14500's I got from DX are working great on the 5v mod I just built, I call it the lil' walkie talkie.

supertrkre2812

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2009
Palatka, Fl
www.xtremevaping.com
The batteries that I am using that trips after i take a drag are new ones from DX, they are red and black trustfires, the others are probably a month old. Blue trustfires. The silver trustfires say there is a cut off voltage, but it doesnt say it is protected, and they work every time, all the time, and they are a little shorter than the others, so i just assume it is not a protected battery.
Thanks for the help.
Levy

Guitarslinger

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Central Illinois
I've got a bunch of the boosters just waiting to go in some mods, but had a question as to the capacitors. Is it really necessary to use both types (the 100 uF and 22 uF)? Also was wondering how they need to be wired-can they be attached directly to the posts on the booster-or do they need to be wired separately?? Any suggestions would be appreciated-thanks.

supertrkre2812

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2009
Palatka, Fl
www.xtremevaping.com
Yes, I used the capacitors.
This is how it is assembled.
I did touch the top of the black wire with the soldering gun, but i dod not melt through the insulation, and it is a ground wire.
IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

I'm not sure what is wrong, but today, it has worked flawlessly, through 2 sets of protected batts.
Now if I could just get my atty's to last longer i would be happy as can be.:rolleyes:

richardf

Jan 20, 2010
indiana
Don't forget about the little on / off switches. Some of them are not rated to handle the load that goes through them. If they are getting dirty, or have arc marks, they could possibly draw extra current and cause a protection trip. The wire ga on some of these switches are too small as well. It may not be your problem, but it is easy to check with your ohm meter. Fiddle with the switch as you meter it, and see if it occasionally gives you higher resistance readings.
Richard

richardf

Jan 20, 2010
indiana
I have been using a linear LM340AT-5 regulator. Its drop out voltage is a little higher than I like, and it can only handle current over 1 amp with a sink. You may be able to see the sink in my pic ( I trimmed it down a little to fit ). I have ordered the TI booster chips, and look forward to playing with them. The next mod I make with the TI chip will have a spare open AA slot to store the atty during transport.

Attachments

• DSC00971.jpg
    DSC00971.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread