Looking for new ecig, need suggestions

logos

Dec 11, 2011
USA
Hello!

It's been a long time since I've used this forum, but I'm yet again looking for a new ecig, I've been using 2 nord 50Ws back and forth for quite a long while. After using an elfbar, I really realized how harsh these are and flavorless. That could be down to the liquid and atomizers, but it's been hard to find the atomizers locally.

Primarily, I'm looking for a device that has the following attributes:
- Large tank, because I vape a lot and I am refilling these things every other day or two.
- smooth vapor, not spattering of liquid, happens with the 50W, even turned downburns my throat
- I do like a good throat hit, just not a throat burn.
- I prefer a tight draw, I guess because I was a smoker for a long time.
- I can't even get nicotine liquid anymore, it's all nic salts locally. I've been using 50-55mg nic salts.
- internal or external batteries are fine.
- Obviously, it would be nice to have top fill, top air, so no leaking and filling is easy
- I vape a LOT, so looking for a device that's not a lot of fuss. I don't mind getting atomizers, but atomizers and pods and liquid and batteries, not good. Looking for something a little more simple.
- It has to be somewhat popular or have a reliable supplier, I hate getting an ecig and then struggling to find atomizers or pods, etc.

Secondarily, suggestions for good liquid providers would be helpful!

If anyone has an suggestions or thoughts on what I could get and fulfill some of these requirements, that would be great!

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Falconeer

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I can't help you with a device, because my vaping style, thus my equipment, is totally different. I do have an observation concerning your nicotine. I'd recommend that you stay with nic salts if you are actually vaping 50mg/ml. At higher concentration, nic base can be a lot harsher than salts. Most, if not all, disposables are 50mg/ml nic salts, including elfbar. Where are you currently getting your juice?

As for reliability in getting coils, etc., nothing is guaranteed to be available forever, although there are some that are more popular than others. Once you find something that you like and don't want to risk unavailability, I'd suggest stocking up. Each time you order coils, buy a few extra boxes and stash them away.

logos

Dec 11, 2011
    USA
    Thanks, oh yea, I used to use freebase for years, but it's harder and harder to get. 24mg is a pretty sweet spot on that, but I've done 28mg/ml, even 32mg/ml, but nic salts I look for 55mg/ml. I have been vaping since, I dunno, 2008? A long time, I just feel out of touch with all the new gear and what's good and what's not. I guess I need to find a good vape shop where I can trial some things.

Thanks!

Reactions: Falconeer

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks, oh yea, I used to use freebase for years, but it's harder and harder to get. 24mg is a pretty sweet spot on that, but I've done 28mg/ml, even 32mg/ml, but nic salts I look for 55mg/ml. I have been vaping since, I dunno, 2008? A long time, I just feel out of touch with all the new gear and what's good and what's not. I guess I need to find a good vape shop where I can trial some things.

Thanks!

I've been around since 2009, so I too have seen all the changes. Have you considered rebuilables? I know it seems scary if you haven't done it before, but it's easy once you learn. Rebuilbales, RDAs and RTAs, are essentially immune to obsolescence. You can always get wire and cotton. It's much cheaper than drop in coils, too. Most vape shops will not carry this type of equipment as they cater to the masses and thus will only have pods and disposables.

As far as atties are concerned, I've always been partial to Hellvape's Dead Rabbits. One you might be interested in is the Dead Rabbit Solo, which is a single coil. I've never used this particular atty, as I use dual coils, but it's a good place to start. You might watch some how-to YouTube videos on building an RTA, to get a feel of if it's something you want to try. You can also post questions here on ECF. Others might chime in with other suggestions of equipment to consider.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    - Large tank, because I vape a lot and I am refilling these things every other day or two.

You vape a lot and refilling every day or two? I refill 3-4 times a day and I vape 10-15ml a day using tanks that are 1-4ml capacity. You're not going to find a tank that will allow you to go days without refilling if you vape a lot. There have been a couple tanks I have seen over the years that were very large capacity, but they are not for MTL vaping, just cloudz bro vaping, because it's usually the cloudz bros that need such capacities. Everyone else can get by with 2-4ml capacities. For heavy vapers, pefilling more than once a day is not optional, really, unless you are willing to vape less.

but atomizers and pods and liquid and batteries, not good. Looking for something a little more simple.
    - It has to be somewhat popular or have a reliable supplier, I hate getting an ecig and then struggling to find atomizers or pods, etc.

If you want simple then pod system is your best bet. Look into vaporesso XROS line or vaporesso Luxe line, which has higher capacity pods than the XROS line, like the Lux XR Max (no autodraw) and Lux X Pro (has autodraw) with the highest ohm coils they offer.

You'll have to settle for close rather than perfect. You'll never find a perfect vape setup when you have a lot of requirements.

Last edited:

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    My understanding is some “salts” degrade steel. I’ve never liked the whole salt thing for multiple reasons but “salts” is a misnomer. Salts are by definition a compound, and only one of them (nicotine) gets mentioned. They’re all different chemicals though. You can buy the old stuff online from several places. It’s common for salts to be more commonly offered because their shelf life is generally much longer. They’re cheaper to store. I personally still do rebuildables with origional nic because I don’t like being beholden to a company if I can avoid it. And I can. So I do. My move would be to buy a steamcrave aromamizer, and learn it’s rather non-traditional method of wicking that keeps it from leaking, or go squonk.

logos

Dec 11, 2011
    USA
    You vape a lot and refilling every day or two? I refill 3-4 times a day and I vape 10-15ml a day using tanks that are 1-4ml capacity. You're not going to find a tank that will allow you to go days without refilling if you vape a lot. There have been a couple tanks I have seen over the years that were very large capacity, but they are not for MTL vaping
    Well, I'm refilling 2x4.5ml Nord 50W pods every day or maybe just over a day, so 9ml or so. A little less frequently on the charging. And that's with using zyn or snus in addition, because the throat can only take so much. I dunno how you define MTL, I do DTL (i.e. just like inhaling through a straw).

logos

Dec 11, 2011
    USA
    I personally still do rebuildables with origional nic because I don’t like being beholden to a company if I can avoid it
    I hear you, I've not gotten into rebuildables, but maybe that's the most flexible option? Have a good source? All I know is you have to put the wick in the coil, but don't you still need to put it back into a tank of some sort?

I'd like a top-fill, top airflow tank that can hold like 5-10ml. If it was top-fill it wouldn't be a big deal. Right now I have to pull the pod out and pull out the rubber stopper and fill.

logos

Dec 11, 2011
    USA
    You might watch some how-to YouTube videos on building an RTA, to get a feel of if it's something you want to try. You can also post questions here on ECF. Others might chime in with other suggestions of equipment to consider.
    I will do that. What tank do you use them in or are there RDA specific tanks? They have 510s so you can use them on any base?

If you want simple then pod system is your best bet. Look into vaporesso XROS line or vaporesso Luxe line, which has higher capacity pods than the XROS line, like the Lux XR Max (no autodraw) and Lux X Pro (has autodraw) with the highest ohm coils they offer.

You'll have to settle for close rather than perfect. You'll never find a perfect vape setup when you have a lot of requirements.
    I have pods now, it's just another thing you have to buy. Years ago I had a top fill glass tank, which was cool, except the base was unstable with it and it tipped over one day and shattered. :)
    I'd say the biggest requirement is trying to get a smooth vape, Nord 50W coils are pretty harsh. Then not leaking, easy refill, easy to get parts.

The requirements are more of an idealized list. Whatever is closest is fine, but hard to tell without buying it and using it for a while, hence the forum. I'll look up the XROS line though. vaporesso is supposed to be a good brand, iirc.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I dunno how you define MTL, I do DTL (i.e. just like inhaling through a straw).

The quote below led me to believe you are MTL. "Tight draw" is a feature MTLers are looking for.

- I prefer a tight draw, I guess because I was a smoker for a long time.

easy to get parts.

Vaporesso seems to be the most ubiquitous in the market pretty much worldwide so replacement pods/coils are most easy to find in most places. But this depends on if you buy online or locally. If locally only you can figure out what is easy to find by visiting local stores. If you buy online then it doesn't matter for the most part. Vaporesso, especially XROS, has been around a while and every version uses the same pods, which is nice, but it sounds like XROS is not for you. Sounds like the Luxe line would be more fitting.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I will do that. What tank do you use them in or are there RDA specific tanks? They have 510s so you can use them on any base?

The RTAs are specific tanks, like the Dead Rabbits that I mentioned. They include a tank and have a base that you build on, rather than a base that accepts drop in coils. A few tanks do have a separate rebuildable coil that can turn a regular tank into a RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer), but most don't. The RTAs are 510 threaded so that they can be used on any mod. They cannot be used with a pod, unless that pod system provides an adapter. Most don't, like your Nord 50w. Smok does have a series of tanks,like the Prince TVF-12, and although they are designed to accept coils, they do have an RBA coil. However this tank is designed for sub ohm vaping and doesn't give a tight draw. If you decide to try building, I'd recommend a single coil RTA with a higher resistance coil build, like the Dead Rabbit Solo I mentioned. There are lots of others too.

Reactions: Izan

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Smok Nord = poopoo. Smok anything =poopoo.
    They did better tanks than anything else, and the Nord was actually pretty close to OK as pods go iirc. I know SMOK WAS awful. I heard at one point that their acquisition of WOTOFO helped them with their execrable build quality so they’ve reached the point for me of “I don’t know”. They certainly used to suck all kinds of though

Reactions: DavidOck

logos

Dec 11, 2011
    USA
    Went with 2 separate e-cigs:
    - the Vaporesso XROS Pro - the option to fire the atomizer on inhale or with a button is nice. I like the separate lock slide too. The airflow slide is nice, so far. The pods are small, but that's why I got another one. They are simple enough to refill.
    - GeekVape aegis with an 18650 - (I have easily a dozen old 18650s that seem to still work.) I've had one like this before and it lasted quite a while, the atomizers are chunky, seem to work well. Hits pretty hard, maybe more a cloud bro vape, but I'll use it at home.

Still planning on to look into rebuildables, I'll probably poison myself doing it wrong, lol, so need to research more, but looks pretty cool.

Draining the nord 50Ws and keeping them as backups, I have a few atomizers left for them. Nothing leaks so far, seems like decent stuff. Not exactly all the features I wanted, but the aegis has a big tank, top fill, hasn't leaked even when sitting while I use the other ones.

Thought I would follow up at least. :) Thanks for the help!

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Still planning on to look into rebuildables, I'll probably poison myself doing it wrong, lol, so need to research more, but looks pretty cool.

Naw, you won't poison yourself. And as long as you use a regulated mod, you won't blow yourself up. The worse that could happen is you short out your mod, and that's not likely. Regulated mods have a lot of built-in safety features. It'll tell you if you built a coil with too low of resistance or have a short circuit. I did fry the screen of the mod during my early attempts, but the mod was a Smok, and it gave out due to another, unrelated, issue shortly thereafter.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Went with 2 separate e-cigs:
    - the Vaporesso XROS Pro - the option to fire the atomizer on inhale or with a button is nice. I like the separate lock slide too. The airflow slide is nice, so far. The pods are small, but that's why I got another one. They are simple enough to refill.
    - GeekVape aegis with an 18650 - (I have easily a dozen old 18650s that seem to still work.) I've had one like this before and it lasted quite a while, the atomizers are chunky, seem to work well. Hits pretty hard, maybe more a cloud bro vape, but I'll use it at home.

Draining the nord 50Ws and keeping them as backups, I have a few atomizers left for them. Nothing leaks so far, seems like decent stuff. Not exactly all the features I wanted, but the aegis has a big tank, top fill, hasn't leaked even when sitting while I use the other ones.

Thought I would follow up at least. :) Thanks for the help!
    Auto or manual switches. Button is manual. The auto works with a little diaphragm. The vacuum of the inhale closes the switch. They tend to be cantankerous. One sees them on disposables because they all eventually die and someone with a disposable might just think “oh, it’s empty” rather than it being busted which is actually what happened.

They get spit or juice in them or a dust particle (yes, they’re that touchy) and they don’t make contact anymore. Sometimes if it’s liquid the liquid dries out and they work again a few days later.

I’m interested to see how the ageis holds up. I heard GeekVape fell on hard times and their build quality isn’t as good anymore, but just talking. I don’t have any actual data.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    I hear you, I've not gotten into rebuildables, but maybe that's the most flexible option? Have a good source? All I know is you have to put the wick in the coil, but don't you still need to put it back into a tank of some sort?

I'd like a top-fill, top airflow tank that can hold like 5-10ml. If it was top-fill it wouldn't be a big deal. Right now I have to pull the pod out and pull out the rubber stopper and fill.
    They only seem to be available online now. They’re very available though. My favorite was the steamcrave aromamizer plus myself, it a lot of people don’t like them because they thought they leaked. They do if you don’t wick them right, and that 10ml tank means when they leak they leak a LOT) They don’t IF you wick it right. You need to twist BOTH ends of the cotton, feed them through the kidney shaped holes, then cut them on the other side. You got to fill that kidney hole with fiber. If you don’t the vacuum breaks and they leak everywhere. Too much fiber though and they don’t wick at all. This means you need to remove the build deck (which pops out) you can even buy multiple build decks, wick them and store them in little jars to work like replaceable cartridge coils. I got 3. (So a coil cartridge that NEVER goes out of production) The thing is huge though. You can set it up like a dripper and squonk it too. I’ve never bothered. I have dripped the tanks though. They’re DL and act a lot like an RTA even with the tank on. AFAIK they’re only available directly from steamcrave, and they’re not real cheap.

Last edited:
    Reactions: logos

logos

Dec 11, 2011
    USA
    Auto or manual switches. Button is manual. The auto works with a little diaphragm. The vacuum of the inhale closes the switch. They tend to be cantankerous. One sees them on disposables because they all eventually die
    Yep, I had one before, used to get stuck on. I'm interested to see how it holds up too. Interesting to have the option, as long as it doesn't fail on.

Users who are viewing this thread