Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
So I've successfully quit smoking!

I have a great 808 setup that I use when I'm out and about, and it works great! 5 weeks no smoking!

Now I'd like to reward myself with a new toy!

I'll help first by saying I don't want a bottom feeder. As much as I hear the reos and similar juice box mods are amazing, I already have a dependable setup for day to day vaping.

Pardon the poor analogy, but if my 808 pV was the equivalent of say a joint, I would like the PV equivalent to a .... lol.

I'm interested in dripping, and having something durable, but most importantly I'm looking for huge Th and clouds of vapor.

Here's my problem. Everyone seems to be directing me to the Darwin or the Provari so far. I've read up on both, and both seem quite impressive. My problem is I dont really know if I need all the VV stuff, as I'm not really needing the versatility of being able to run everything under the sun. I'm more then happy to try a proven performer setup and leave it alone, as long as it vapes like a champ. By that I mean, running standard and LR atties for dripping, and hopefully an adapter of some sort to run my 808 carto's while on the highway etc. Again all I'm after is a mind blowing hit and big vapor production!

So assuming I don't need the fancy VV stuff, here's what I've been drooling over.

I've recently fallen in love with the Super-T Precise P-18. It's gorgeous, lifetime warranty on stainless models, it should perform and do all I need it to well, plus as an added bonus, they're stocked at my favorite local vendor. I'm assuming it will run what Id like it to, and also allows me the 6V option if I ever get bored of good old 3.7?

Any advise would be helpful, if I'm way wrong, please correct me, and happy vaping everyone!

Thanks!

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Well, one of the positive fallouts of VV is that they at least should come with regulation, so you'll get consistent voltage until it stops -- on "fixed" voltage models you need to check each model to see how they play, if they keep it at 3.7 or 5 (or whatever), or if you will instead see voltage drop over time. Consistency is a really nice thing once you've experienced it.

As long as you get something with a 510 or 808 native connector, it' easy to get adapters to switch to something else.

For me, after some months vaping, 808 then Riva 510 with LR Boge cartos, I went to a Notcigs Infinity VV, happy as can be with it. Consistent power until the batteries truly die (need swapping with a new pair), decent run time between battery changeouts, durable, simple -- just a thumbwheel to adjust the voltage (I don't particularly care what the resistance/voltage/power is, don't need or want an LCD -- I turn the wheel slightly to get it to vape the way I want for that particular carto/liquid).

Good luck -- I know the P-18 and other mods have rock solid followings, undoubtedly excellent products.

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Hey mark thanks for the info!

So you're saying that something like the precise with an 18650 quality battery will read all over the place voltage wise throughout the duration of the charge? I was under the impression that these big battery tube mods were capable of true 3.7.

I'm not that picky, but yeah the consistancy does sound nice. Again though, I was under the impression that something like the P-18 would be equally consistant, just not as adaptable or versatile.

I just want something big dirty and hard hitting, the more durable and hassle free the better. The VV stuff is intriguing to me, but as a first mod I'm just not sure if it'll be too much?

Thank you all, I love ECF!

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
From: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/super-t-manufacturing/117485-questions-about-p18.html I see "They're great PV's I can tell ya first hand but the voltage is controlled by the quality of batteries you use. The Precise has no regulator or voltage device inside. " I have never owned a P18, it sounds like those who have enjoy them, but it doesn't sound like they are regulated. (They do look like nice PVs, absolutely, it's just a case of picking the characteristics you want.)

junquedujour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
southwest misery
i have 4 different mods - and the p18 is probably my favorite. i just recently got an altsmoke alpha which is about a 1/2 inch shorter and is made of aluminum (i think) so it is lighter and a different switch location. i'm very pleased with it also, but the p18 is still my favorite. i am staying away from the vv stuff for now as i am not convinced off the durability of them. i bought my p18 used and have never had to send it to david. if you take care of them (see david's maintenance video on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGJ00AVVDM) you will probably never have a need to send it in.

good luck on your decision!

Last edited:

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Hey! Yes I'm using the dual coil bloog cartos presently and they do produce well! I'm hoping to use these on whatever I purchase, and also have a solid dripping mahine for at home or flavor testing!

Mark again great info, but what I'm getting from this is that as long as I get quality batteries, they will produce a proper 3.7??

Junque thanks for the advice! I know a few people with the P-18 and they all love it too. I guess I'm just trying to make sure a tube mod like that will do all I need it to. I'm definitely not against a Darwin or provari, but just questioning the need for something like that in my first mod. If I will make my bloog carts shine, and be a dependable dripper, I may be Leaning this way. And as you say, having a lifetime warranty definitely takes the sting out of the high price, and I do break stuff lol..

dmatrix7

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Belleville Ontario
I just switched from a bloog/volt setup that I was using all day every day for weeks to a Reo. I also at first didn't want a bottom feeder and was pretty happy with my bloog/volt setup. After almost 2 weeks of using my Reo now, I have no ideas why I didn't get one of these before. I got tired of charging batteries and filling up cartos during the day at work. Now with my Reo I bring a spare battery a spare bottle and my Reo. It really is a no fuss, no hassle vape and the vapor that comes off it is insane. If you want something that hits like a ...., the Reo is it. I call mine my e-unit. Check into it if you do not want VV. The mini woodvil is coming out next week and I think some grands will also be available.

Xenetic

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
MS USA
www.tupelovaporshop.com
18650 batteries normally hang around 4V. I have tried every battery out there and the AW IMR (red) 18650's are perfect. By what you have posted, make sure you get the IMR batteries. They don't last quite as long as the black AW's per charge, but there is little to no drop off, meaning they are consistent, the output fully charged will be the same as the output at 20% charge.

I agree with you on the precise, I own one, the thing is beautiful and damn near indestructible. I also have an empire, and if dripping is what you are going for, the empire with a drip shield plus a 1.8ohm Cisco 901 atty is the way to go for vapor and flavor. The empire is made of high quality aluminum, but will still scratch easier than the precise. The precise wins in the looks department, but the empire has almost any option, more future proof. They both are fully mechanical so with a bit of upkeep, they will last forever.

-Xen

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
A positive for a variable voltage unit is that one does not truly need low resistance. You can bump it up to your perfect vape. I noticed that sweet liquids and tobaccos taste much better at a higher voltage...(Higher than 3.7.) If I vape a tobacco blend with fruit I like it set at 4.1-4.4. For tobacco vapes without the fluff-4.3-4.7 depending on what carto I am using. I am glad I bypassed the 3.7 mods and went for a VV Buzz. My first purchase of a VV unit was an unpleasant one...then I was able to get a Buzz unit. I am looking for my second purchase right now...

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Without a regulator, a separate item, the PV will have voltage dropoff over time, it's just how they work. Higher capacity batteries will tend to do better, if you recharge fairly often (don't run them into the ground).
A P18 is a solid product, excellent reviews. Another make with an avid following is the Silver Bullet, in the V1.1 you can use the single 18650 for "3.7V" or two 3V protected batteries.
It's all good, multiple choices.

Wolf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2009
Kingston, WA, U.S.A.
I love my Silver Bullet. It can be used at 6v with a change of batteries. Personally, I only use it at 3.7v. I've thought about buying a tank for it, just not sure yet. I also like my OMeGa and my BB. These three plus the Alpha are all available new from AltSmoke.

I also love my Phidias. I know you said no bottom feeders, but just listen for a moment. I know people who use only cartos on their Phid and seldom, if ever, use the feed. I also know that I sometimes just drip on mine. Fact: if you look at the "Show us your Phidias" thread you will see most of the Phids pictured have drip tips on them. A lot of people just like to drip. The Phidias is available new by emailing fonosmoak@embarqmail.com.

Many used items are available in the Classifieds. They are sometimes in very good condition and sometimes at a very good price.

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
More great info guys! I'm looking at the empire now. Would this be considered in the same sentence as the Darwin and provari?

I do feel like the VV aspect of vaping is still a bit out of my reach. That's why the Darwin seems like a viable option because it seems to do most of the guesswork for me. I still am confused though, will these 18650 do a proper "3.7"?

Another thing that's kind of lame (sorry), is that I'd love to get the stainless model engraved!

I'm not for or against anything right now. I want it to be a high quality build, stress and hassle free, huge vape quality, and durability. I'm also in Canada which makes shipping hard with some vendors.

I appreciate the help everyone, keep it coming!

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Voltage dropoff, in my experience, with fixed voltage mods is only noticeable towards the end of the charge life and I never thought it was a big problem......... until I started using a VV mod (Buzz) and started getting a solid consistent vape right up to shut off. Damn! It's nice. The other main advantage is getting the perfect level of power for the atty or carto and your juice of choice. I wouldn't have thought it but one thing I discovered when I started using my Buzz was that the taste of juices that I didn't really care for before was improved with a small tweak of the regulator.
I'm tellin' ya, these things are nice.

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I love my Silver Bullet. It can be used at 6v with a change of batteries. Personally, I only use it at 3.7v. I've thought about buying a tank for it, just not sure yet. I also like my OMeGa and my BB. These three plus the Alpha are all available new from AltSmoke.

I also love my Phidias. I know you said no bottom feeders, but just listen for a moment. I know people who use only cartos on their Phid and seldom, if ever, use the feed. I also know that I sometimes just drip on mine. Fact: if you look at the "Show us your Phidias" thread you will see most of the Phids pictured have drip tips on them. A lot of people just like to drip. The Phidias is available new by emailing fonosmoak@embarqmail.com.

Many used items are available in the Classifieds. They are sometimes in very good condition and sometimes at a very good price.

Thanks for the info!

I'm not against bottom feeders, but I'm goin to wait till I trash my current setup before spending more on a daily PV. I'm pretty sure at this point if I get sick of my 808's, something like a reo will surely be my replacement.

This is more of a treat! A present for quitting smoking, a birthday present for myself (end of month), and something hopefully beautifully made, with bonus points for something I can have laser engraved!

I want the best of the bet, just don't want more options then i need!

Wolf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2009
Kingston, WA, U.S.A.
My husband uses a Silver Bullet (tube mod). He has dropped it from chest pocket level on concrete, aspalt, driveway blackrock and the deck of a cruise ship. He has never had to contact Rob or Chad for repair. He's had it for 1 1/2 years. It is a solid build and comes in more than just the silver finish. It runs on the 18650 for 3.7v. I believe it is one of the true 3.7v mods. Made in the U.S. (Ohio I believe). They have a very good reputation for customer service.

The Phidias is an all natural wood mod (box style). It is hand crafted in Nevada. It uses the 18650 battery as well. Did I mention it holds a 3ml bottle inside for feeding. I don't think there's any rule that says it has to have the feed needle on it. You could always just cap it. The manufacturer guarantees his work. I had a crack come up in one of mine. I contacted him and sent it to him. He repaired it and sent it back to me. I only had to pay the postage. I know they have shipped to Canada in the past. It takes a little longer than U.S. shipping. I guess it has to clear Canadian customs.

Both places stand behind their product as do a lot of others on this forum. I would check out the Forum Suppliers at the bottom of the first page. Check out the various threads and you'll get a better idea. E-Cigarette Suppliers Forum, also on the first page, will show you some of the independent vendors.

pAth77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2010
Bay Area
... I still am confused though, will these 18650 do a proper "3.7"?

I think we're going in circles and this question of yours hasn't been answered yet. Majority of the non-proprietary batteries run at 3.7V. There are other batteries that are 3.0V and 3.2V but those are meant to be stacked for HV vaping. The most commonly used brands are AW, Ultrafire, and Trustfire (yes, I'm sure there are more but those are the most common ones you'll find). Although they are 3.7V batteries, they will generally run at around 4.0-4.2V when they are fresh off the charger. There was a thread on here before where someone tested all three brands, and the AW batts were closer to 4.2V and the xxxxFire batts were closer to 3.9-4.0V. Either way, you're getting more than 3.7V at the start.

As the battery discharges, there will be a drop in voltage, but pretty much all of these batteries will have a nominal voltage of 3.7V. The drop in voltage is not too noticeable until the battery is almost fully drained. This drop in voltage is less noticeable if you are using high drain (IMR) batteries.

As for the P18, I'm obviously a fan, and if you can get your hands on one without having to wait 6 weeks then I would go for it. Pairing it with a Boge LR carto gives great flavor, vapor, and TH. I haven't tried it with dual coils yet, but there are many that swear by it.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:

Xenetic

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
MS USA
www.tupelovaporshop.com
I would like to know if the people speaking of the voltage drop off are using AW IMR batteries. Non IMR's have a drop off but even after using my AW IMR 18650 for 2 days, it still meters out at 4.1V. You can tell by the vape if your voltage has dropped, that has never happened to me even with IMR 18350's. It could be though that most people don't purchase IMR's because the mAh is lower, bigger numbers look better. I'll take my 1600mAh 18650 over a 2600mAh 18650 any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread