Looks like the ProVari may have a rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craktskull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2012
Cebu, Philippines
This e-cig looks similar to the Vario..

Vmax Variable Volt V4 - Stainless

I got 5 of the "Vmax" in last week and actually got to play with one for about 48 hours before the owner showed up to claim it. The mfg calls them a Umax - probably cuz they can't do a V with an LED display and erroneous call them U. Anyway, I was impressed enough for the price that I placed another order yesterday and bought myself one. If it dies out on me....ok. For me, with shipping, it's about $70 to the Philippines, even less when I order in quantity. If I can generate enough interest over here for 5 more - while showing mine around, I can buy 5 more and the cost is just under $60 apiece spread around 5 units....purely cost of course, no profit. I don't run a business....I'm kinda the island co-op manager for Chinese purchases. In hand it looks nothing like the pics of the Vario (nor Zmax) and indeed looks like a combination of a Lavatube look and feel and the electronics of the Provari. Definitely still VV and NOT VW. Still kewl enough for me to buy one for myself though at this price.....

Bahiaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
London/Alicante
Bahiaboy,

That wouldn't be a V1 Vmax you're talking about would it?
I remember you posting on the Vmax thread and then you disappeared.

I really loved my Vmax's but I ended up having major issues with a few that I owned - bought a ProVari and haven't looked back since...

lols good memory yes the Vmax V1, had 2 fail big time with the Button Failing ....... The second broke whilst on a tour of the Scottish Highlands (Middle of nowhere) !!! I bit the bullet and bought the Provari and now make sure I have a mechanical mod as backup !!!

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
  • Deleted by Dusty_D
  • Reason: unregistered supplier associate

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Pete Busardo had a great idea when he said they should change the volt meters to "power" meters instead.
Voltage readouts on these newer mods don't count for anything because they're not truthful.

I've never heard of Cigstar as a manufacturer and I can practically guarantee the early versions will be fraught with issues.
I could take the electronics out of a Howitzer VV and put them inside of a ProVari - it would look like a nice device but it wouldn't make the Howitzer any better as a device.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Pete Busardo had a great idea when he said they should change the volt meters to "power" meters instead.
Voltage readouts on these newer mods don't count for anything because they're not truthful.

I've never heard of Cigstar as a manufacturer and I can practically guarantee the early versions will be fraught with issues.
I could take the electronics out of a Howitzer VV and put them inside of a ProVari - it would look like a nice device but it wouldn't make the Howitzer any better as a device.

I'd never heard of them either prior to them contacting me.

But Phil's point about the power meter is kinda moot if they just made what they had *accurate*.

Then again.. most consumers will not be able to tell the difference or care- it's technical minutia.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
I'd never heard of them either prior to them contacting me.

But Phil's point about the power meter is kinda moot if they just made what they had *accurate*.

Then again.. most consumers will not be able to tell the difference or care- it's technical minutia.

I always assumed accurate and stable voltage is not something easily achieved when manufacturing these devices - is this true?

I still can't see the point in voltage displays when they give false readings.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I always assumed accurate and stable voltage is not something easily achieved when manufacturing these devices - is this true?

No.

Accurate voltage regulation (boost/buck/linear) is pretty old school electronics. It's been done accurately on the consumer level since the 1940s with vacuum tubes, and later with transistors- and then integrated circuits.

American regulated mods like the Provari (PWM behind a filter) and Darwin achieve accurate output. Lavatube is less accurate- but acceptable below 5 volts (my conclusion- Uses a Texas Instruments regulator apparently running over-specification by .5 volts).

There's no reason *any* mod with *any* type of regulation can't be accurate to it's display. Even with using an unfiltered PWM/duty cycle scheme produced from some of these newer mods (Just takes some mathematics).

(repeat of earlier comments incoming)

But if 3.0 volts on the display, vapes like 4.0 volts (because that's the real energy of the pulse), that's a *positive* perception with customers who vape higher wattage. For us lowly (but more numerous) low watt vapers- it becomes a deal breaker.

Sorry. I ranted. Eek.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
cozzicon,

Why don't the Chinese manufacturers implement it properly?
It's the selling point for the ProVari and the reason I own one.

I don't like the trend in "over pulsed" mods!

I have no idea. My contact with Chinese manufacturers is limited to Skype conversations and occasionally being asked to look at something new.

"proper" is a relative term. To many of the vmax's fans, it's just fine.

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
  • Deleted by Dusty_D
  • Reason: unregistered supplier associate

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Good point cozzicon, It would be nice if the manufactures took note from the feedback given. I wonder if they will implement updates of the VARIO / Veaporbeast version of the Imottion based on your feedback? Did they seem receptive to your input after having you use the unit?

To answer your question, I think they are receptive. So my comments may have some effect. We'll see. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only "Techie-vaper" who has an engineering sample and we probably have similar feedback to give.

I've seen pics of a revised unit which has most if not all of the changes that users would want and Vapor Beast is local to me so I may be able to see or handle the final product. But it's not a planned purchase so sadly, I'll probably not be able to review the final unit.

If Cigstar sends out final revision units for review- I would imagine they will go to the usual reviewers.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Well from all the posts I have read in the forum about pulse width modulation, I'll pass.

Actually most E-cigs are using PWM, some claim the Provari too. But it all depends on the filter. Seems that with the proper filter that you won't even know it's using it.

The way to tell is to buy a standard smoktek Digital Voltage Tester and test the unit. If it reads it than the filter is doing it's job and the voltage is coming out very stable. If it can't read it than no.

By the way, this is my impression from what I've gleaned on the forum. If I'm wrong I welcome some true experts to correct me.

Craktskull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2012
Cebu, Philippines
Actually most E-cigs are using PWM, some claim the Provari too. But it all depends on the filter. Seems that with the proper filter that you won't even know it's using it.

The way to tell is to buy a standard smoktek Digital Voltage Tester and test the unit. If it reads it than the filter is doing it's job and the voltage is coming out very stable. If it can't read it than no.

By the way, this is my impression from what I've gleaned on the forum. If I'm wrong I welcome some true experts to correct me.

I'm just curious what is meant by a "filter". I've heard that alot lately. A PWM voltage is a voltage that is instantly on for a period of time, then instantly off for another period of time (duty cycle). Let's say you have a 9v signal for 333ms "on" and 667ms "off", you'd have a 33.3% duty cycle with an average voltage of around 3v, although the peak to peak voltage of the initial pulse is 9v. Where does this "filter" come in and how can it affect the PWM? I would say it doesn't because the nature of the signal is such that the modulation from 0-9v and back to zero is already filtered.......else how did it get from 0-9v and back again. Provari lovers like to say that their device's PWM is "filtered" and hence make them MUCH better....

Just a BTW...."most E-cigs are using PWM".....is absolutely incorrect. Most E-cigs are using direct current derived by a Lithium-ion battery directly coupled to a coil via a switch. A small percentage, i.e. Provari, Lavatubes, etc use PWM to make their products more attractive and prolong battery life. ANY device that is employing PWM is, by definition, already filtered.......

Just watch this and pay attention to the technical stuff from around 12 min till about 26 min. You may not understand it, but it explains it. A PBusardo Review - The V-Max by SmokTech - All About Vapor - YouTube

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread