Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Wasn't the government actually involved in encouraging consumers to switch to lower tar cigarettes way back in the 70s and 80s? It seems like I've read that before, but she I go looking all I find is how the cigarette companies were deceptive. Iirc, there were Studies by the American cancer society that 'showed' lower tar cigarettes to be safer and this information was used to encourage consumers to switch. Am I just dreaming that I read this, or did I read some sort of lie, because this information is not popping up in searches now.

If this is true, the deception or mistake of thinking low tar cigarettes were less unhealthy should not just be pinned on BT. If the government was on board with the search for a safer cigarette then it can't all be attributed to BT lies.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California

If this is true, the deception or mistake of thinking low tar cigarettes were less unhealthy should not just be pinned on BT. If the government was on board with the search for a safer cigarette then it can't all be attributed to BT lies

that's all I'm saying, they're all liars by nature. its what they do. you can't blame a dog for being a dog.

politics and big business (what's the difference) selects for depravity

n=1 subjective experiences can't assure anyone of anything, sorry to break the news

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
For those who believe there's nothing more than a shredded tobacco leaf in cigarettes ...
Sweet Dreams
:closedeyes:
Sure, but even if you used so-called "organic" tobacco cigarettes, you are still inhaling smoke and still addicted to nicotine.

Hi Kristin

I don't know anything about "organic" tobacco ... Never smoked it.
(grew up in the 60's and tried everything else) But now that you
brought it up ... I did a quick web search and found that its supposed
to be free of "additives". So, for example, a Marlboro is not free of
additives. Of course, BT is not going to give us their "mother liquor"
additive formula.

Some additives are included to smooth the harshness of smoking
tobacco.

Lets just say, I believe some additives included in cigarettes are
there to "enhance" nicotine absorption. I'm not complaining nor
am I demonizing BT any more than I would demonize "Power Bull"
for what they do to "enhance" their product.

IF this website's list of ingredients in cigarettes is even close to
accurate ... It validates there's much more in cigarettes than
a shredded tobacco leaf.
Cigarette Ingredients - Chemicals in Cigarettes

4,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke (less in organic tobacco smoke?)
No one can convince me that some of these chemicals or combination
chemicals ... when smoked are not also additive, possibly very addictive.
Nicotine gets all the press for good reasons. However, (in my opinion)
there is much much more to the addiction that just nicotine.

DARN IT ... just reached for a sip of coffee ... EMPTY!
Back in a minute. OK so I'm addicted to caffeine also.

Aahhh ... nothing like a fresh cup of coffee
:)

I smoked 2-3 PAD for over 40 years
I'm qualified to be a tour director in Hell ... (quoting Sam Kinison)
Its understood why so many don't trust BT and even hate BT.
I Don't ... I chose to smoke and I was warned it was addictive.
Doesn't make any difference to me if they bumped it up a notch
or not ... bumping it up a notch didn't take if from slightly addictive
to very addictive. Many are obviously addicted to "organic" tobacco.

Kristin ...
I know where your coming from and your point is not to
demonize BT when BP should be the focus. I totally get it
and even agree with you. However, there is much more in
cigarettes than a dried shredded tobacco leaf.

Last edited:

Docliv

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2010
North Las Vegas
Hi All,

I for one am greatly relived to see Lorillard's CEO Murray Kessler views on the e-cig industry and the Blu Cigs Purchase (Video). IMO Lorillard's involvement in the industry will be greatly positive. I was unaware of his decade long background in harm-reduction methodology.

I think we (at last!) have a champion to rally behind to improve overall acceptance to the e-cig technology by the general public. I know that their efforts to reduce unwarranted state bans and modify the FDA's stance on e-cigs will be oriented towards Blu products, but it will vastly improve the overall industry as well.

Although I am a terminal optimist, I think this acquisition will prove a major benefit to the e-cig industry.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
They do what all business people do, make money at all costs.

Unless you make and test your own e-liquid, how are many of the e-cigarette business people most of us buy e-liquid from much different? None of them want to make money? They are ALL somehow incorruptible and completely ethical?

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
So the ammonia that is in regular cigs to create the freebase effect, and all the other additives in reg cigs, that are not in RYO bacco, have no effect on the addictiveness. Sorry I dont buy it. Again we have a case of opinion being passed off as fact. I was attacked for doing the same thing. Where's the proof?

Exactly, kwalka. Where is the proof of any of this? Yet we take what they say about cigarettes at face value.

But, actually, the ANTZ themselves claim that "organic" or "additive-free" tobacco isn't any safer: Additive-Free Cigarettes May Pack A More Toxic Tobacco Punch

So, how can they have it both ways? How can they claim BT made their cigarettes more addictive and more dangerous with their additives and then claim cigarettes free of those additives are no safer and no less addictive than BT cigarettes?

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Kristin ...
I know where your coming from and your point is not to
demonize BT when BP should be the focus. I totally get it
and even agree with you. However, there is much more in
cigarettes than a dried shredded tobacco leaf.

Close, but not quite. My point is that we cannot keep believing and spouting the half-truths, fact-twisting and outright lies we have been told all of our lives. We need to rethink everything we've been told.

Who benefits the most that we distrust and "hate" Big Tobacco? Us? No. The ANTZ. Because if we take everything we have been told by them, we fear Big Tobacco and think they are "inherently evil" and nothing good can come from them, we refuse to use any of their products, even though most of the smoke-free products have been shown to be safer and more effective than NRT and we are forced to stay on the "Quit or die" path. That means we spend all of our money on ANTZ-approved NRT, which gets them funding. It also means we distrust,hate and fear Big Tobacco so much that when it gets into the e-cig market we turn against it and effective shoot ourselves in the foot by refusing a HUGE potential ally.

Did anyone ever hear the saying that if you spend so much energy on hate and anger, the only person you hurt is yourself and not the object of your hate or anger? That is exactly what is happening here.

My whole point of highlighting the Big Pharma lies and their link to everything we've ever been taught as "fact" is not to defend Big Tobacco or switch the hate and anger to Big Pharma, but to get people to step back and question what they believe and where it came from, so they realize that the hate, anger and distrust based on what we have been told by the ANTZ is only hurting ourselves.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
In case anyone missed the link posted earlier in the thread, please watch this: Lorillard Tobacco CEO on Blu Cigs Purchase, Plans for the future (Video) | Vaping News, Tech and Opinion

"During the 97th annual meeting of the Tobacco Merchants Association, Ecig Advanced had a chance to sit down with Lorillard CEO Murray Kessler to discuss their purchase of Blu Cigs and their plans to market and sell the brand in the rapidly growing and changing future of electronic cigarettes."

CASAA was also at this TMA meeting, by the way.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Exactly, kwalka. Where is the proof of any of this? Yet we take what they say about cigarettes at face value.

But, actually, the ANTZ themselves claim that "organic" or "additive-free" tobacco isn't any safer: Additive-Free Cigarettes May Pack A More Toxic Tobacco Punch

So, how can they have it both ways? How can they claim BT made their cigarettes more addictive and more dangerous with their additives and then claim cigarettes free of those additives are no safer and no less addictive than BT cigarettes?

The beauty of propaganda is the fact that it doesn't need to be consistent; only that it is repeated enough times that it becomes a "scientific fact". Questions such as yours are addressed be claiming that you are paid by the enemy, in this case BT, to confuse that "science".

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Unless you make and test your own e-liquid, how are many of the e-cigarette business people most of us buy e-liquid from much different? None of them want to make money? They are ALL somehow incorruptible and completely ethical?

They're just as bad potentially, just smaller.

As they get larger, they corrupt in pace with their coveted destination.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
They're just as bad potentially, just smaller.

As they get larger, they corrupt in pace with their coveted destination.

Exactly, so what difference does it make WHO is making the e-cigarettes? You really cannot fully trust any one of them. Whether it's Big Tobacco, Big Pharma or the future "Big E-cig" - they'd all have to be monitored and regulated to protect the public from unethical behavior. So doesn't it seem silly of us to continue to single out Big Tobacco like it's somehow special?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
He said everything right, and he clearly has a finger on the pulse of the electronic cigarette community.
Unfortunately, he was not asked the only questions I think needed to be asked: Flavors? Refilling?
My slant ...
If discussed ... it would have opened the door to discussion on nicotine.
Also, Blu's marketing plan doesn't include lots of flavors and bottled juices
which is more of an interest to the hobbyist. Blu's ultimate plan is to market
their e-cigs in stores (like cigarettes) ... Some choices ... but not many.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
who cares if the added substances made anything more addictive in fact?

the point is there are added substances that were not disclosed. Big brother and big tobacco fail.

I don't hate big tobacco. They do what all business people do, make money at all costs. They're no more slimy than the FDA and all bureaucracies IMO.

In consequence I don't won't any of these clowns playing with e juice. In my naive fantasy we should remain free to keep this thing as grass roots as possible and self regulate with our dollars and voices. They can and will hurt us more than we can hurt ourselves, I truly believe that. That's what organized crime wearing the facade of regulation does. At least the mafia is honest about what they do.

now that's not gonna happen, but I can still hold the ideal as the ideal, because that's what the ideal is for.

"life is suffering"

cyrus out

So if the antis come up with claims that the flavoring makes juice ________ (fill in the blank) you will believe them because there are added substances that are not disclosed. Extremely few places give out more information than "flavorings". Those that do have a long list of chemical names that few can understand.

It's not so far fetched since one of the claims about menthol is that it makes nicotine more addictive. I don't see why that would apply any less to juice.

Of all the people I can imagine making my juice ingredients and mixing them BT is the one I would trust at that job the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread