Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Have you read Judge Leon's Opinion in the Smoking Everywhere & Sottera (dba njoy) versus FDA case?

Judge Leon essentially described two classes of electronic cigarettes. Any company that made a health claim (e.g., you can use these to stop smoking) would be regulated as a medical product under the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act. Big Pharma's product would not allowed to be sold until after the company went through the entire New Drug Approval process that all drugs have gone through.

The other class is recreational. If the manufacturers and/or sellers make no health claims, the FDA could regulate their product(s) under the tobacco Act.

So if Big Pharma produces a prescription type of e-cigarette that drug approval does NOT force all other e-cigarettes off the market auto-magically.

Funny how a company can say QUIT SMOKING using LAser or Herbal stuff but an Ecig cannot ??? they are NOT FDA approved or a drug !

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
You're making my point for me, Kristin. Yes, they would prove to everybody that their e-cigarettes are safe... and only their e-cigarettes.
The growth of the industry over the last couple of years has largely hinged on the FDA being held at bay. If Big Pharma comes to play, the FDA will necessarily come in tow with them.

People like me, who mix their own juice, will be viewed as though they were running an illicit drug lab.

In some respects that may become a true statement.
Juice products sold under the banner of BT will undoubtedly be created in regulated and inspected laboratory grade facilities and not at somebody’s kitchen sink after picking up dog poo in the back yard and selling it anonymously on-line. :)

NC_Fog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2011
Central N.C.
You know we wouldn't even be commenting here if our government wasn't so corrupt. Here's the FDA ridiculing the e-cig yet I can go down to the local GNC and buy vitamins and other "dietary supplements"(untested by the FDA)with God only knows what in them. Then at the bottom of the description is this little note...

* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Seems to work for the Vitamin industry...why not the e-cig. industry? Just a thought.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I just read this entire thread. I wanted to reply back in the beginning where there was all the speculation as to why the purchase occurred. I was convinced someone would of said this so I held off. They just bought a product that is everywhere. Many of us agree and have said here that most blu users got into them w/o knowing it was an inferior product. Then they toss it and move on to a real e cig. Here is my point, is this not the perfect opportunity to take advantage of that exposure and manipulate the product just like analogs to have an iron grip. Instead of trashing the blu, it will have just what the human brain needs for the first time user to say "wow, thats great Ill take more of that, and it must be safe because all these people cant be wrong". At the same time everything you all just said about them crushing the competition will force even more customers their way. Corporations like this are looking at least 5 yrs down the road. We have all seen the numbers regarding the projected amount of ecig users in the next few years, those numbers translate into billions of dollars.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Here is my point, is this not the perfect opportunity to take advantage of that exposure and manipulate the product just like analogs to have an iron grip. Instead of trashing the blu, it will have just what the human brain needs for the first time user to say "wow, thats great Ill take more of that, and it must be safe because all these people cant be wrong". At the same time everything you all just said about them crushing the competition will force even more customers their way. Corporations like this are looking at least 5 yrs down the road. We have all seen the numbers regarding the projected amount of ecig users in the next few years, those numbers translate into billions of dollars.
So you're saying they might mess with the juice and make it something far more addictive?

They are the only ones now who have their foot in the door to the future.
Why risk blowing the whole thing?

There are so few ingredients in electronic cigarettes that it would be easy for anyone to test what's in them.
And they would risk everything they just bought to mess with that.

They are licensed to the Hon Lik patent now, and to me it looks like they believe that is the winning move here.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
So you're saying they might mess with the juice and make it something far more addictive?

They are the only ones now who have their foot in the door to the future.
Why risk blowing the whole thing?

There are so few ingredients in electronic cigarettes that it would be easy for anyone to test what's in them.
And they would risk everything they just bought to mess with that.

They are licensed to the Hon Lik patent now, and to me it looks like they believe that is the winning move here.

Short answer, Yes. I agree w your point tho. Its just that looking at this from the outside, and reading everyone's opinions, there seem to be several unknowns. This came to me about 7 or 8 pages in last night in last night, and I was surprised noone said it.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
The majority of vapers on this planet aren't using Darwins and Provaris, or fiddling with CE2s. The majority of vapers are buying and using cig lookalikes and prefilled cartridges; and Blu is the largest company in the world for this market. While this is a very large forum, and we tend do "poo poo" the stick users, the reality is that the majority of vapers use them, and will never find or join this forum. That's Blu/Lorillard's target market. I don't believe the intention is to drive everybody else out, any more than it would be White Owl cigar's intention to eliminate Cohiba, or Petersen Pipes. It's a different market.

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Why are people insisting on starting unfounded rumors?
Everyone involved has said NOTHING is changing. This is no different than Phillip Morris owning Kraft foods. Do you avoid Kraft because it's "big tobacco"?

I'm really curious if so many are willing to believe what the antis have told you about big tobacco why aren't you believing what they've told you about e-cigs?

Amen myk
Blu will remain a separate company & keep current management. (This per LO press release. )
Now my take on this is that the magnificent marketing man Jason Healy (best since Bill Gates?) approached lorillard with a deal: help me out with this patent lawsuit & I will sell my company to you. So he gets $135 million & keeps his job. Good deal. Wish I'd been that smart.

mirinuh

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Amen myk
Blu will remain a separate company & keep current management. (This per LO press release. )
Now my take on this is that the magnificent marketing man Jason Healy (best since Bill Gates?) approached lorillard with a deal: help me out with this patent lawsuit & I will sell my company to you. So he gets $135 million & keeps his job. Good deal. Wish I'd been that smart.

What a great point. Despite all protestations to the contrary- the IP and Patent issues are very real and kept BT from jumping into the business. Blu and LO should be commended for looking at the bug picture and taking a step that could revolutionize this industry/

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
I wonder how their new "Premium 100" products compare to minis like Volt, Bloog, and Halo.

The starter kit is a little pricey but not that bad (far better than my first "kit"). Prices for batteries and carts are competitive also. I really like the PCC (though the "social" feature is a bit silly... but some might think it cool).

I don't think they're much of a threat to the higher end products we all use. But, I hope they utterly destroy the other highly-marketed rip-off brands that are out there.

Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Why are people insisting on starting unfounded rumors?
Everyone involved has said NOTHING is changing. This is no different than Phillip Morris owning Kraft foods. Do you avoid Kraft because it's "big tobacco"?

This is exactly whats wrong w this country. People dont avoid companies in this fashion. We all sit back and suck up all the BS that BT & BP feed us, weather its direct or indirect.
Unfounded rumors? What part of BT & BP would you consider truth? For that matter what part of the gov protection agencies set up to look out for us, namely the FDA would you believe? The part where whoever has the most $ to buy legislation wins?
IMO its all rumors. If you believe anything a press release says from a large corporation, you need to remove the blinders. I'm not trying to start a war here, but, IMO it is all BS. Unless your sitting in that boardroom, its all rumors.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
What a great point. Despite all protestations to the contrary- the IP and Patent issues are very real and kept BT from jumping into the business. Blu and LO should be commended for looking at the bug picture and taking a step that could revolutionize this industry/

On the same note from my last post, if this in fact turns out to be true than great, but there is no way to know until time tells. One could say the above quote is rumor as well.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Just before the press release announcing the purchase ...
Blue was shopping other "e-cig" vendors to buy e-juice
but was only interested in buying e-juice made in the USA.

I understand their focus on juice made in the USA
However, my question is why would Blu be shopping
other "e-cig" vendors for juice if they were not anticipating
a large increase in demand?

My first impression was Lorillard has a huge sales promotional
plan in mind and they know their present e-juice supplier will not
be able to keep up with the anticipated demand.

Your thoughts ??
:confused:

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I wonder how their new "Premium 100" products compare to minis like Volt, Bloog, and Halo.
If Blu/Lorillard sells a product like the Volt / Bloog MaxxFusion / Halo G6 then I would be 100% behind them.
As it is right now I am only about 70% behind them.
:)

By the way, I was reading somewhere that Leaford was a big part of the development of the Bloog MaxxFusion.
Does anyone happen to know if that's true?

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
On the same note from my last post, if this in fact turns out to be true than great, but there is no way to know until time tells. One could say the above quote is rumor as well.
His point about patent issues keeping Big Tobacco from jumping into electronic cigarettes is certainly just a "rumor" at this point.
But the fact that Phillip Morris was in discussions to purchase Ruyan a few years ago speaks volumes.

Of course, it is hard to say what volumes it speaks.
:)

It may be that Ruyan was asking too much, and Phillip Morris wasn't ready to commit to electronic cigarettes yet.
Or it may be that Phillip Morris eventually determined that the patent was not strong enough to keep them out of the game.

Although it seems to me they wouldn't even have been talking to Ruyan if they weren't worried about the patent.

We are certainly going to be finding out more about that patent in the very near future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread