Lost Vape Drone Squonk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
We don't know, also we don't know how the 510 is sealed as well?

I think that @Black wings idea of using a small o ring that'll fit around the centre pin of the 510 is a great idea though.
It helps improve firm contact a lot.
Also sometimes we use a long pin rda for ages and then some era's Don't make contact due to 510 being compressed. These are an essential part of your vape kit for under a pound.

Reactions: Mordacai

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Black wings, it seems like the squonk 510 centre pin just isn't making a good seal at all. I know not very much seeps out the top under an rda, but it certainly seems to be coming out underneath though.

So I've ordered some 2mm ID × 4.5mm OD silicone washers and some 2.5mm ID × 1.5mm thick silicone and fkm o rings to have a look at, I'll have to let you know how I go on with them. As they've all got different shore hardness ratings.

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
@Black wings, it seems like the squonk 510 centre pin just isn't making a good seal at all. I know not very much seeps out the top under an RDA, but it certainly seems to be coming out underneath though.

So I've ordered some 2mm ID × 4.5mm OD silicone washers and some 2.5mm ID × 1.5mm thick silicone and fkm o rings to have a look at, I'll have to let you know how I go on with them. As they've all got different shore hardness ratings.
Experiment by backing the 510 out (just to see if this helps, obviously don't use it that way as your pos post will be flapping in the wind, lol).

Reactions: BillW50

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Black wings, this very rough drawing may give you an idea of what I'm thinking.
_190423_180402_684._1.jpg

510 isn't sealed properly and then the leak occurs because of this, an inherent fault that has not been addressed by the manufacturer and is longstanding.

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
@Black wings, this very rough drawing may give you an idea of what I'm thinking. View attachment 811027

510 isn't sealed properly and then the leak occurs because of this, an inherent fault that has not been addressed by the manufacturer and is longstanding.
Perhaps a plumbers putty may be a bodge.
Evostick make a waterproof putty that's soft enough to place in a feeding syringe and could be ramped down around the edges of the 510 to make a flexible seal (it is of course non flavoured, non toxic and reasonably heat resistant or a food grade silicone in a fine syringe may be better.
I've coated the underside joins of a 510 before with nyloc. A liquid nylon that sets into a firm but flexible nylon plastic (usually used to prevent bolts from loosening in moving machinery, often food based machinery).

• Informative
Reactions: BillW50

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
Really, I think that the squonk 510 needs scrapping and replaced with a totally new design. Without any soft tubing whatsoever, such as that off angle elbow idea.

As a solid engineered solution would be a minimal investment, especially if you think of a modular system.
The honest truth is the best and most responsive systems I've used where on the bargain basement pico squeeze which was borrowed from the kanger drip boxes. Never failed, leakproof sealed units and easy to keep clean when filling. Perfect.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Update, just received some o rings (EPDM, Silicone and Nitrile).

2.5mm × 1.5mm seems a good fit, but I need further time and use to evaluate them. As initially they have a good interference fit with the centre squonk pin.

Starting with EPDM with a shore hardness of 70.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Update for you good folks, the FKM o ring with a shore hardness of 75 has performed wonderfully, so is well recommended.

So if you're UK based you can get them directly from Polymax.
FKM (Viton) O ring 2.5mm ID x 1.5mm CS FKM (Viton) 75 ShA

They do ones with a shore hardness of 90, but will only sell a minimum of 209 at £71.06. Typical, we only need a few.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Update for you good folks, the FKM o ring with a shore hardness of 75 has performed wonderfully, so is well recommended.

So if you're UK based you can get them directly from Polymax.
FKM (Viton) O ring 2.5mm ID x 1.5mm CS FKM (Viton) 75 ShA

They do ones with a shore hardness of 90, but will only sell a minimum of 209 at £71.06. Typical, we only need a few.
So you're fitting this o-ring inside the 510 on the mod, therefore providing a better seal inside the 510 to prevent leaking into the device?

Any good source for o-rings like this in the US that folks have used?

My Drone is still in the box, have kind of been waiting to see if there was a solution for this before I started pumping my Drone internals full of juice. o_O

Thanks in advance.

• Agree

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Thanks you guys. Going to be out of town for a bit, but will order up some o-rings once I get back and finally give my Drone a try. :)

Definitely trying to avoid the internal leaking issues. Just kind of stinks that it's got this as a potential issue. Thankfully, I've never had internal leaking, even with my less expensive squonks. Don't want to toast this one if I can avoid it.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I think this is the equivalent from the one vendor @puffon mentioned:

1.5mm X 2.5mm V75 FKM (Viton, Fluorocarbon) 75 Duro O-Rings (JIS S3-V75) [V1.50X002.5] : The O-Ring Store, We make getting O-Rings easy!

Kind of stinks to have to pay all that shipping for a few silly o-rings, but will be worth it if they work.

Might as well order a handful of them since the shipping won't change. Hopefully what I linked above is correct, I'll go ahead and order. Maybe they'll be here by the time I get back from my work travels.

Reactions: DeloresRose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread