Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I vape the 1.6 at 6.5 W .. which seems artificially low compared to the chart .. Frannie, what was it about the 1.2 that you did not like .. ??

z-coils-2-3.jpg

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I vape the 1.6 at 6.5 W .. which seems artificially low compared to the chart .. Frannie, what was it about the 1.2 that you did not like .. ??

z-coils-2-3.jpg
    It’s been a long time since I tried the 1.2 and I’ll have to fall back on the obvious answer. I didn’t like it. IMO the .8 and the 1.6 preform much better.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire

z-coils-2-3.jpg
    BTW, I use the 1.6 coil at 10w.

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    Might be a good place to find info, or maybe start with a search along the lines of "book rebinding service near me".

Thanks, I did look up bindery and found a place that's 1/2 hour from here. Now I just have to get there. I want to wait until our kids get to see it first though.

Hola .. :)

I think I remember my Aegis Solo, when installing a new coil, indicate that a new coil had been installed on the readout .. I could be wrong, it does not seem to do that now .. unless I'm right and something is messed up ..

Also, what's the right setting for a 1.2 Z-Coil .. ?? At 6.5, which is generally what I use for a 1.6 coil, it seems much to weak .. at 8.5, it's better but makes little vapor .. at 9.5, it also seems to make little vapor, yet tastes harsh to me .. o_O

Seems to me when I change a coil I get that readout. I just touch the bottom button and it goes away and resets the puff counter. Try taking it out and reseating it. It might just not have clicked into place properly.

We use the 1.6 coil and 8.7 is just right for me. Not sure what Mike sets his at, 10 I think.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Thanks, I did look up bindery and found a place that's 1/2 hour from here. Now I just have to get there. I want to wait until our kids get to see it first though.

:thumb:

Might be a bit spendy, but for an heirloom book, well worth it!

Willie, my Solo does pop up the "new coil" anytime whenever I put a tank on it, even if just backing off the one that's on it and screwing it back down. (Which does not reset the puff counter, that just rolls at 999.) Maybe remove any topper and press the fire button? You should see "no coil detected", then put it back and see what happens? Since you're getting weak vapor at most settings, maybe the coil has gone south?

2122512.gif

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2011

Willie, my Solo does pop up the "new coil" anytime whenever I put a tank on it, even if just backing off the one that's on it and screwing it back down. (Which does not reset the puff counter, that just rolls at 999.) Maybe remove any topper and press the fire button? You should see "no coil detected", then put it back and see what happens? Since you're getting weak vapor at most settings, maybe the coil has gone south?

2122512.gif

Voila .. removed the tank, pressed the fire button, replaced the tank and bingo, new coil detected .. it also indicated some changes from the 1.6 I was using previously to the 1.2 I have in there now .. the 1.2 is new .. will now experiment as I think the Solo still thought it had a 1.6 in there ..

Thanks, man .. :)

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2011
    When I visited my sister she gave me our grandmother's cookbook, published 83 years ago. It's called The American Woman's Cook Book. It's pretty interesting to read some of the recipes, like when preparing to make a roast chicken dinner. "Cut off the head and remove the pin-feathers. Singe by holding the bird over a flame, turning on all sides until all down and hair have been burnt off." My problem is that the cover is coming off and is split at the spine. Where would I go to find someone who could re-bind the book? A library?

Janet, to my way of thinking, I would not have the book restored .. I would find an archival storage box, wrap it in archival paper, and gather up the thoughts and memories of your sister and yourself as to the history of the book within the family, placing those records in the archival box along with the book .. and preserve it, as is .. your Grandma used that book, and also perhaps your Mother and they helped make it what it is today .. their character and spirit are contained within those pages .. it is a Family heirloom ..

Then, if you want to actually use one of these books, various printings over the years don't seem to be all that pricey, so just buy one to use .. :2c:

I think, traditionally, we consider things like a watch, a necklace, a decorative piece, etc as Heirlooms .. but, I believe even simple things contain a little piece of the spirit of the previous owner .. especially something that is well used ..

I have an old shotgun owned by my Granddad .. it's not much to look at, but it helped put food on the table back in his day and I fondly remember hunting trips with him and that old double barrel slung over his shoulder .. .. I would never consider any restoration work on that ..

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    Janet, to my way of thinking, I would not have the book restored .. I would find an archival storage box, wrap it in archival paper, and gather up the thoughts and memories of your sister and yourself as to the history of the book within the family, placing those records in the archival box along with the book .. and preserve it, as is .. your Grandma used that book, and also perhaps your Mother and they helped make it what it is today .. their character and spirit are contained within those pages .. it is a Family heirloom ..

Then, if you want to actually use one of these books, various printings over the years don't seem to be all that pricey, so just buy one to use .. :2c:

I think, traditionally, we consider things like a watch, a necklace, a decorative piece, etc as Heirlooms .. but, I believe even simat is well used ..

I have an old shotgun owned by my Granddad .. it's not much to look at, but it helped put food on the table back in his day and I fondly remember hunting trips with him and that old double barrel slung over his shoulder .. .. I would never consider any restoration work on that ..

Thanks Willie. You've certainly given me something to think about. You're right of course about character and spirit being contained in these pages. The wear and tear on this book shows how much it was used. I checked online and I can get a duplicate copy of the book for $50 and I'm sure rebinding this book would cost at least that much so it might be worth leaving it alone. The stitching is still intact so it can still be easily referenced. It's just the cover that has come undone.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2011
    Thanks Willie. You've certainly given me something to think about. You're right of course about character and spirit being contained in these pages. The wear and tear on this book shows how much it was used. I checked online and I can get a duplicate copy of the book for $50 and I'm sure rebinding this book would cost at least that much so it might be worth leaving it alone. The stitching is still intact so it can still be easily referenced. It's just the cover that has come undone.

Yes, well, it's just my humble opinion .. check these ::

The American Woman's Cook Book by Berolzheimer, Ruth (Ed.): Very Good Hardcover; Later Printing (1942) | Hyde Brothers, Booksellers (abebooks.com)

Signed, First Edition & Collectible copies of The American Woman's Cook Book, thumb Indexed, Edited and Revised Edition | ThriftBooks

I've always had good luck with both companies ..

I like wear .. it shows character .. it shows history .. whether it's a guitar or even an old PV .. the first Solo I bought last year, which I am using right now, begins to look broken in .. the fire button has the black wearing off, and there are now other cosmetic flaws .. hell, some of my really old PV's looked like they had been run thru a grinder .. took a lickin' and kept on tickin' ..

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA

Voila .. removed the tank, pressed the fire button, replaced the tank and bingo, new coil detected .. it also indicated some changes from the 1.6 I was using previously to the 1.2 I have in there now .. the 1.2 is new .. will now experiment as I think the Solo still thought it had a 1.6 in there ..

Thanks, man .. :)

Glad it worked! And it might be that you pushed down for "old coil" instead of up for "new coil", easy to do with that little rocker :)

I think, traditionally, we consider things like a watch, a necklace, a decorative piece, etc as Heirlooms .. but, I believe even simple things contain a little piece of the spirit of the previous owner .. especially something that is well used ..

Yes, I agree, sometimes those simple little things hold more memories, and are worth much more, to us, than other things that have higher monetary value. (As if we were going to sell off the memories, nah, not gonna happen! Then again, any THING I own is for sale, for the right price! And memories ain't cheap. You want the combat knife my Dad used in WW2? $1 mil, cash would work. Maybe :) )

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    Good morning - I think it's still morning. Gorgeous day here. 72 now going to 81. The sun is shining brightly. I think I need to go get some more flowers for the deck. Definitely need more flowers.

Yes, well, it's just my humble opinion .. check these ::

The American Woman's Cook Book by Berolzheimer, Ruth (Ed.): Very Good Hardcover; Later Printing (1942) | Hyde Brothers, Booksellers (abebooks.com)

Signed, First Edition & Collectible copies of The American Woman's Cook Book, thumb Indexed, Edited and Revised Edition | ThriftBooks

I've always had good luck with both companies ..

I like wear .. it shows character .. it shows history .. whether it's a guitar or even an old PV .. the first Solo I bought last year, which I am using right now, begins to look broken in .. the fire button has the black wearing off, and there are now other cosmetic flaws .. hell, some of my really old PV's looked like they had been run thru a grinder .. took a lickin' and kept on tickin' ..

Thanks for those links! I just may order one so I can use it without worrying about being so careful with it. 80+ years ago women had to know how to do everything from scratch. There's even a section on pasteurizing your own milk... Can't wait til our daughter comes tomorrow so she can see it for herself. She's rather excited about it which is nice because she's going to inherit it!

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA

2122512.gif

Yep, you're right. I just changed the coil and the puff counter doesn't change. I just don't pay any attention to it and assumed it reset probably because I must have caught it once when it happened to roll over. Just so the unit works I don't much care what the count is.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Happy Saturday, all.

Heat wave continues, maybe some "relief" Wednesday, when they claim it will "only" be in the low 80s... which is still about 10 over normal...

Yep, you're right. I just changed the coil and the puff counter doesn't change. I just don't pay any attention to it and assumed it reset probably because I must have caught it once when it happened to roll over. Just so the unit works I don't much care what the count is.

Yeah, puff count is pretty meaningless to me as well. Other than as, say, an indication of how long the mod has lasted, which the Solo won't do since it rolls at a mere 1000.

Hola .. :(

That condo collapse in Florida was just plain shocking .. looked like a scene out of a Middle East war .. you just never know ..

I'm guessing sink hole. Yes, grim, and the way it "pancaked" down, doesn't look real good.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 5, 2009
    Lower Mich.
    Good morning. The kids are coming for a swim day today now that the pool is open. They'll spend the night and leave tomorrow in time for Hux's football practice. He's not quite 5 years old so the sports practices are pretty hilarious.

My goodness Janet...I read your posts and then I have to go take a nap! :D

Users who are viewing this thread