Love my Stardust but....cracks-

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueL

Dec 13, 2011
Connecticut
I am fairly new (almost 3 months) to vaping after 37 years as a smoker and this is my first post to ECF besides the new members forum.

I started with a cig look alike, moved to an Ego-T, got sick of fiddling with the leaking tank and wick, tried cartomizers, fluxos, vision extreme, vision stone II tank. It was getting better with some, but all had some drawback for me.

I then ordered 5 Stardusts from the second batch when they became available. I was in love. Other than a slightly cool hit that I hope will be approved with the LR when they come in, it was close to perfect for me.

After using for two days, I came here to read others experiences and to try get some tips about cleaning. I noticed that some said they were noticing cracks. Uh oh.....I checked and sure enough the two I was using had the spider cracks starting. My husband had one with him and I was getting ready to set up another one for him to put in his rotation. It was still in the wrapper and when I opened it I checked and it was already showing cracks. This definitely wasn't caused by the juice, as some suggested in other posts.

I don't know it I just got a bad batch from a bad batch or the USPS used my package for soccer practice.:blink:

I just want to let you know that I am writing this to give you info because I am hoping these things can get improved. I am still using them exclusively as I watch the cracks multiply and grow daily.

I never experienced the cracking problems with past CE's because I am so new to vaping and I don't know what to expect. Will they just start to leak or will they shatter at some point? I must say that I feel that I am very gentle on them and it doesn't seem to help.

There was discussion about this problem in other threads but I was hoping the info could be singled out here so I don't have to go through large page threads to find any new info.

Thanks, Sue

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
All of mine are showing cracks too, but not a hint of leaking so far (even on one that I took apart for a dry burn). I've only read one report of leaking, but that was only after more extreme cracks were induced by reassembly.

I'm confident that this will be resolved, but it could take a few production runs to get it resolved completely. They are so close to perfection already, it isn't going to take much! :)

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
I am not taking mine apart - I have some from the second batch. I noticed that when I tried to take mine apart, they started cracking. My guess is that this second batch is glued like the Visions are (I cannot confirm this, however) - or the silicone ring on the bottom fits tighter than the first batch - making the disassembly a whole lot more difficult.

I'm sticking with rinsing and dry burning mine for now - at least until the guys get more of what I like back in stock that I can risk breaking one while disassembling.

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
Will a dab of superglue over the crack stop leaks or would it degrade the plastic?

Not sure about these. Used to use it regularly on the old crackomizers and it didn't. Wish the eco mod glue was available to try. I'm thinking maybe gorilla glue painted all around the bottom would do well. Theoretically if applied before leaks actually start to occur it would stop them from continuing and wouldn't contact the juice.

krazynavybiker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Not sure about these. Used to use it regularly on the old crackomizers and it didn't. Wish the eco mod glue was available to try. I'm thinking maybe gorilla glue painted all around the bottom would do well. Theoretically if applied before leaks actually start to occur it would stop them from continuing and wouldn't contact the juice.

Good idea gonna give that a try.

lizblue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2011
New York, NY
A while back I thought my Stardust was leaking whenever it would tip on its side but then I noticed a crack, which was why it was leaking. I can lay my new stardusts on the side without incident. I'd had the first one for a month before the leaking/crack issue so I hope my new stardusts hold up the same. There were no cracks right out of the box. For the first one that did crack, I never took it apart. It just seemed to happen.

Last edited:

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
I think the manufacturers need to stop using this clear plastic and switch to the newer flex type plastic like on the vision extreme. It seems almost every tank they come out with using the clear ends up with some type of cracking.

I wonder if you could even do this shape with the flex plastic?

SueL

Dec 13, 2011
Connecticut
I wonder if you could even do this shape with the flex plastic?

I was thinking the same thing. How about a threaded bottom like on the Vision Stone II? I think the cracks are causes from the stress of being pressed on. Too loose....leaking. Too tight....weakened plastic and stress fractures.

Also, just think how easy it would be to clean with the threaded bottom. I would pay extra for that.

Are the first batch of these cracking too???

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
I was thinking the same thing. How about a threaded bottom like on the Vision Stone II? I think the cracks are causes from the stress of being pressed on. Too loose....leaking. Too tight....weakened plastic and stress fractures.

Also, just think how easy it would be to clean with the threaded bottom. I would pay extra for that.

Are the first batch of these cracking too???

Mine aren't...

Bocephus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kansas
People might wanna list juices being used as it could play a major or the reason for the cracks. I had a buddy break 2 by using high citrus juices and a cola. I have 3 of the new ones for a couple weeks and have had no issues. Two of them I have taken apart for cleaning as well and no cracks. Will let ya know if theres any change.

chinsk

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
A week in on mine and my cracks are getting more severe. One has not developed that you can feel on the outside and it looks like it goes all the way through. The hairline fractures are multiplying as well. I have just drained it and I think I am taking it out of commission at this point. This is very very disappointing as this carto was not abused at all.

timothy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2010
texas
Bocephus
11 mg all PG cola looks like its eating the plastic as its not clear any more. But not making the crack worse
IMG_20120227_182125-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread