Madvapes 5v regulators rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I'm talking about the minimum input, not the max output. The spec sheet indicates a dropout voltage of 3.0v. I'm taking that to mean that anything over 5.5v gets regulated down to 5.5v, but anything from 3.0v to 5.5v goes through as is. Am I reading that wrong?

Scandalous find boondongle. I tried it on the 2xAA 5 volt mod and it works! Very nice..

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Been wanting to put together a 5volt 3x AAA box using a micro-switch, but didn't want the hassle of trying to stuff a mosfet, along with the 5v regulator into that tiny space. I've tried about 7 or 8 different styles of switches, but it's a royal pain in the .... trying to find a small switch that actually looks good when mounted, and can handle the current from a 5 volt setup...
But I finally got a few Madvapes 5v regulators with a control pin, and BAM. No more oversize switch problems. Put together a nice little 5v box using the tiny tactile switch he carries, and this thing is a joy to use. The schematic for the circuit is posted in the description of the regulator, and works perfectly. Can use any teeny tiny switch I want now, since I don't have to worry about current frying the switch. And I get about 5 hours, of 5 volt vaping using two 10440 batteries. :)
Hey Ez what ohms is the atty you are using? What kind of loaded voltage are you getting with MV's regulator? There's a big discussion going on about how MadVapes 5V regulator cuts off when using low ohm (Joye 510 I presume, the only ones I use) atties. I wanted to build one but now I'm wondering.
With most of my 510 attys (2 different sources) I only get about a 5 second draw, then the power cuts off to the atty. I have to turn the main switch off then back on and I get 5 more seconds of draw.
You should head over and share your expertise.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/68102-question-problem-5v-regulator.html

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Hey Ez what ohms is the atty you are using? What kind of loaded voltage are you getting with MV's regulator? There's a big discussion going on about how MadVapes 5V regulator cuts off when using low ohm (Joye 510 I presume, the only ones I use) atties. I wanted to build one but now I'm wondering.

I use a ModernVapor 902 atty which is about 3 ohms, (and a much better vape at 5v then a 510). But I've also used a Joy 510 atty, (2.4 ohms), with no problems. And that is using two protected 10440's to power the regulator. I will continue to use the regulators from Madvapes. They're made by Fairchild Semiconductor and are good quality with great specs. I doubt they're the problem. Most likely, the batteries are the cause. The problem is the exception, not the norm. So you can use those regulators, and not worry to much about it.

As for the output under load, all the boxes I've built using the Madvapes regulator, are a rock solid 4.98 -4.99 volts, with either the Modernvapor 902, or the 510 atty attached. (As a side note, they're the same voltage with no load).

ejoker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
question for all you electro-heads.
i've built a few 5v, but this is my first one where i'm wanting to use 2 leds.
so, using this diagram, where do leds/resistors get plopped in? i've blown 3 already in guessing :oops:

excuse my crudeness in the diagram ...

5v.jpg

Last edited:

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Based on EZ Duzit's diagram off of Madvapes site, will the messy solder hurt anything. Still trying to figure out where led and other resistor go.

Looks good so far deitra. And no, a little messy soldier won't hurt anything, as long as it doesn't short something out. So on the pcb you were holding in your picture, as long as the soldier in Row 1 isn't touching anything in row 2, and the soldier from row 2 isn't touching anything from the rows on either side of it, and so on....

As for the LED, I didn't use one in the box from the tutorial. But if you want to include one in yours, here's how it would look added to hoogie's original circuit.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
question for all you electro-heads.
i've built a few 5v, but this is my first one where i'm wanting to use 2 leds.
so, using this diagram, where do leds/resistors get plopped in? i've blown 3 already in guessing :oops:

excuse my crudeness in the diagram ...
The placement would also depend on what function you want each LED to signify.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
How do you determine which one to go with, 1.5A or 3A?

Also, when an LED is wired up, how much power does that take away from the 5V (if any)?

Most stock atty's will draw more than 1.5 amps @ 5v. So go with the 3 amp regulator.
And joker was right about the led's, they don't take much power at all.

Last edited:

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
If you have a multimeter read continuity through it and to the control pin. For soldering I like to make a J hook on the wire end (looks like a J) and just make contact at the bottom of the J to the pin. Solder enough to make a 50% fill on the sides of the J and it should work great. That way I dont have to try to wrap the pin or do anything funky and no mechanical stress on the solder joint. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread