Manufacturers/Suppliers: What's in my atomizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Lol, no it's not a new camera but I've only just been bothered to crawl under my desk to plug it into the back of my computer. There were a couple of hundred pictures in it's memory and all but twenty were of my cats :rolleyes:

Sad ....... I am. Here's Minx wanting her stomach rubbed:

Picture150.jpg

I know you're not interested in my cats but being subjected to them is your punishment for being a grumpy old git ;)

Hope you're having happy holidays.

riddle80

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2008
Nashville, TN
it reminds me of parts of a dead chicken kate..

(GAG!) it does me too :?:. That's sick looking. So, how much of this are we inhaling? Every now and then I'm getting the most disgusting taste out of mine. I thought it was doing the "self cleaning" but now I'm wondering if it's all that gunk burning off. Makes me want to use a new atomizer every day..lol.

btw, you're cat is too cute Kate!!

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
I have been following this topic with great interest :)

So far, from this and other threads, I think the wick is fiberglass. I believe that mostly because works, it's cheap, and easy to source (which fits in the general manufacturing philosophy for e-cigs), And it's been mentioned to hit 1000 deg without disintegrating (and kevlar would have been damaged at that temp) And from the pictures it appears to be white, where Kevlar is a creamy beige color.
I don't think it's a health issue, since it lives in a crusty gob of e-liquid residue, and I doubt a lot of particles would be coming out of it ;-)

The element is a little coil of nichrome wire, .2mm ? and it draws about an amp.

What I have * no * idea of , is what this stuff is:
AtomizerMesh1.jpg

It's not like any "steel wool" I've ever seen, and it's not sintered.

Anybody have any idea?

Bellinghamster

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Bellingham, WA USA
I know you're not interested in my cats but being subjected to them is your punishment for being a grumpy old git ;)

Hope you're having happy holidays.

Like so many else on this forum, I tune in for 51% hoping for new e-cig info and 49% wishing to witness more Kate/Trog taunting and harassment...

You two aren't married in real life by any chance?

/activate shields

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
well that "dead bird" looking stuff isnt in all atomizers.. some just seem to have the heater wire wrapped around a small piece of wick.. the ceramic (i assume) pot and the wire wool around it.. some have the extra dead bird stuff mixed in somewhere..

me and kate have entered into a new era of detente with the popes blessing and future world peace has been enhanced.. formal none agression pacts are in the process of being signed..

a happy new year to u kate.. and yer cats.. from a grumpy old git.. and the pope..

trog

ladybug51

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2008
Southern CA, USA
well that "dead bird" looking stuff isnt in all atomizers.. some just seem to have the heater wire wrapped around a small piece of wick.. the ceramic (i assume) pot and the wire wool around it.. some have the extra dead bird stuff mixed in somewhere..

Curious guys. We inhalin this too? Cough cough. Wonderin too if this is caused by puttin the liquid on the atomizer. And, when you inhale it, are ya using a cartridge? Or just suckin smoke.

Trog, don't you and Kate smoke the cigars?

BTW: I know of a clergyman who can marry you two on the internet. Ifin ya want. You can find them under netweds.com.:rolleyes:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Here are some more pictures to add a bit of perspective.

Pic001a.jpg

Pic003a.jpg

Pic006a.jpg

Pic007a.jpg

Pic012a.jpg

Pic015a.jpg

I took an RN4072 classic atomiser apart a while ago and it wasn't as well made as the Janty one above. It's lifespan was shorter and it didn't have the same amount of fibre in it. There was hard, black stuff in the heating wire coil but no other obvious wick. The little pot does appear to be ceramic Trog.

Thanks Riddle and Kimmie, she is very cute, a wee darlin'. :D

So does our union have the pope's blessing then Trog? Don't forget that we may have a peace agreement/honeymoon period now but after the holidays it's back to business as usual ;) Remember the WW2 football match at christmas, one day of friendship and then back to killing each other. There wouldn't be any fun around here if we were nice to each other all the time.

128705502430115157.jpg

Happy new year to you and yours :D

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
i dont have any pics but the loong totem (throw away) atomizer idea has done away with the wire wool part and the ceramic pot.. and the separate wool cart in essence..

its just a wool cart the heater coil sits in the middle vertically.. each side of the heater coil is a small tube the ends of the heater coil wires are in this tube and it also lets air be drawn thru the cart wool and past the heater coil in the middle..

the wool and atomizer sit inside a similar stainless steel tube with brass threads just like the older design.. the whole thing is covered in plastic or paper to look and act like a mouthpiece..

the heater coil does seem to be in direct contact with the cart wool.. no wire wool or pot to separate the two.. vapes well when wet but tastes like sh-t as the wool dries out.. win some lose some..

trog

Last edited:

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
We yanked apart a couple of those longTotem style e-cig.com disposable atomizers at work, in various stages full-medium-dry. The stuff around the coil, and the filler material, appears to be "baby wipes" material. And it starts burning away pretty much right off the bat. By the time you get close to the end (cart still damp), a significant amount of the smaller bit is already completely gone, burned away. The coil is 1.6ohms on those, in case you're curious.

K0rvet

Dec 24, 2008
The black "case" almost looks like that cheap carbon fiber packing stuff like they use in electrical switches. I see a lot of it inside electric guitar control rheostats. The grease looks a lot like electrolytic compound put inside spark plug wires at contact points to help prevent moisture from interfering with the electrical connections. The only difference is, most electrolytic "grease" is white... It's basically silica gel so shouldn't pose a health risk - at least, I hope not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread