Massachusetts banned e-cigs entirely... smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
I am in Mass. Its all over the news stations. All the shops are closing. Many will file for bankruptcy. They cant float it for 4 months. The local news said that you cannot ship anything in from outside states, TY Gov Baker, you douch! I am going to try to put in a big order from my fav shop out of state and see if it goes through. :(

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Once they discover the joys of on-line shopping, do you think they'll be back to the B&Ms they previously used?

If these customers are smart, they'll go on-line to shop for DIY supplies and stock up on nic base. 5/11/2020 is coming no matter what happens in any particular state.
I agree with you about online. I gave up on buying liquid from vape shops within weeks of starting to vape. It took some months to start mixing. I wanted my stash to be ready before any painc buying, which can start at any moment. So far I'm not seeing evidence of supply shortages except with myfreedomsmokes, who raised their prices. Others seem to be holding their prices.

Smoking is reinforced by ritual behavior. Vaping is the same. If buying liquid in a walkin retail helps keep vaping that's what a lot of people will do even if it costs them a fortune. Mixing and rebuilding should be the norm for life long vapers but apparently it's not that way yet.

MsBree

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2010
New Jersey
www.precious-pets.org
No way this will pertain to PG and VG and flavors - and probably not nic, as I understand it. But all vape products (including MJ) are banned for 4 months.

I hope you're right, but I wouldn't "bank" on it! These people are as evil as they come, the most selfish, money-hungry greedy *astards on this planet. A LOT of lives will be hampered, sadly, in more ways than one! :(:grr:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
They've already got that product and it's already from my understanding FDA approved it's called the iqos and their motto is heat not burn or something like that. It is a ridiculous product is basically called a heat stick but it's by all appearances a little tiny cigarette and you put it in a device that heats it and the flavor and smell that you get is the same as when you were smoking and you put a cigarette out halfway through smoking it and then re lit it.. something between hell's sulfur and burning tires. I don't believe it'll catch on even if they managed to ban and kill the black market and everything else regarding e-cigarettes. I would rather smoke tobacco I got from an ashtray rolled up in newspaper then I would that iqos thing
Have you actually tried IQOS, or are you just repeating something you heard somewhere?

First hand from someone who has tried 'em: They taste like cigarettes, but the smell is relatively minimal.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
Once they discover the joys of on-line shopping, do you think they'll be back to the B&Ms they previously used?

If these customers are smart, they'll go on-line to shop for DIY supplies and stock up on nic base. 5/11/2020 is coming no matter what happens in any particular state.
I don't think it will be as prevalent as one might believe.

What comes to mind is the typical Juul consumer. They're mostly going to just go back to tobacco or some other nic replacement. They just won't bother. The underage users will just go back to eating tide pods and snorting condoms.

There's also something to be said for the personal relationship at a B&M store, as well as handholding and recommendations to an otherwise ignorant consumer.

I haven't considered myself to be in that novice category since at least 2013. Nonetheless, until two years ago I was loyal to a local B&M because they sold my all day vape and I liked the people there on the rare occasion I didn't mail order from them. I can afford the ready made liquids, and really was too lazy to dig into DIY.

Then 2 yrs ago they quit making my ADV in the high nic that I always ordered. With the first round of regulations, they opted to go after the low-nic cloud chasers and stopped selling anything more than 12mg content. So I went to another supplier and got a substitute product that was never as good, but got the job done.

Until now. I got off my .... and ordered the stuff for DIY. Not only that, but took a swag at a recipe to clone my former ADV and 95% nailed it on my first try of mixing my own.

So I guess my point is, they'll certainly lose some business. However, the larger cross section of customers will probably return.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I hope you're right, but I wouldn't "bank" on it! These people are as evil as they come, the most selfish, money-hungry greedy *astards on this planet. A LOT of lives will be hampered, sadly, in more ways than one! :(:grr:
...can't argue with that :(

iu

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The scariest thing about this to me, is that they apparently did send police to close vape shops. Legitimate businesses, with licenses. This is going really bad, really fast. :(
If the governor wants to spread the word as fast as possible he has guys on the road at every moment called the State Police. If a trooper comes to your location and says the governor has ordered something so do it your more likely to comply than just hearing it on the news.

But all that begs the question about vapers who may be as dependent on their vape as they were on cigarettes and we all know about that. Cigarette sales are closely tracked. Hopefully we'll find out the size of the cigarette sales up tick. I wonder how many vapers took a day off work to drive out of state to some place where they can buy supplies and how many just bought a pack of smokes. I wonder if DIYer's known to their vaping friends will cave in and share their liquid, free or otherwise. What about shutins and seniors who can't just jump in the care and drive? We are going to hear some heartbreaking stories.

MsBree

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2010
New Jersey
www.precious-pets.org
So far I'm not seeing evidence of supply shortages except with myfreedomsmokes, who raised their prices. Others seem to be holding their prices.

YUP, was just going to order from myfreedomsmokes when I notice their nic price went up! NOT a nice thing to do to loyal customers, especially during vape bans.

Who else is holding their prices for unflavored nic? I used to buy at OneStopDIY until they stopped selling nic, and I've been a loyal customer of myfreedomsmokes for a couple of years now....but not if they're gonna be jacking their prices up.

icepickmaker84

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2019
Indiana
I don't think it will be as prevalent as one might believe.

What comes to mind is the typical Juul consumer. They're mostly going to just go back to tobacco or some other nic replacement. They just won't bother. The underage users will just go back to eating tide pods and snorting condoms.

There's also something to be said for the personal relationship at a B&M store, as well as handholding and recommendations to an otherwise ignorant consumer.

I haven't considered myself to be in that novice category since at least 2013. Nonetheless, until two years ago I was loyal to a local B&M because they sold my all day vape and I liked the people there on the rare occasion I didn't mail order from them. I can afford the ready made liquids, and really was too lazy to dig into DIY.

Then 2 yrs ago they quit making my ADV in the high nic that I always ordered. With the first round of regulations, they opted to go after the low-nic cloud chasers and stopped selling anything more than 12mg content. So I went to another supplier and got a substitute product that was never as good, but got the job done.

Until now. I got off my .... and ordered the stuff for DIY. Not only that, but took a swag at a recipe to clone my former ADV and 95% nailed it on my first try of mixing my own.

So I guess my point is, they'll certainly lose some business. However, the larger cross section of customers will probably return.
Snorting condoms? Apparently my condom priorities as a teen differed from those now.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
YUP, was just going to order from myfreedomsmokes when I notice their nic price went up! NOT a nice thing to do to loyal customers, especially during vape bans.

Who else is holding their prices for unflavored nic? I used to buy at OneStopDIY until they stopped selling nic, and I've been a loyal customer of myfreedomsmokes for a couple of years now....but not if they're gonna be jacking their prices up.
It could be that MFS got caught short of inventory and prices will settle down when their next shipment arrives. There is still nic available for the typical pricing. I'm noticing this situation is causing me a bit of anxiety, I'm taking more puffs. So may be the stash isn't big enough because my consumption is increasing. (Sigh...)

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
Something I find interesting is the varying panic levels. The only thing I need to do is go get stocked up on nic concentrate. I see many others on here spending on mods, coils, etc as well. That has to make it even worse. I usually have the ready cash for crap like this, but this go-round I'm having to wait about a week to stock up and nervous about supply pricing along with everyone else.

I count myself fortunate being an early adopter and already having a low maintenance mod/atomizer solution that will keep going for decades on cheap, readily available consumables that will never be banned (Kanthal wire, cotton, and 18650 batteries). So at least I just need the one not in such high demand product and not a collection of stuff everyone is scrambling to buy all of a sudden.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I can't find any actual info on the 5 / 0 coming out and shutting down shops .. anyone have a link .. ??

Those that mentioned here that Vape Shops could weather the storm, well, maybe a few could, but a minimum 4 month shutdown (unless it's extended) is really the Kiss of Death .. how many people, small business owners or otherwise, could go 4 months without a cash flow .. ?? Weathering the storm takes advance planning, unless you've got a nice Line of Credit and your Banker lets you use it .. how many Banks are going to float a Vape Shop under this scenario .. ??

As far as the question of "How does this effect Mail Order .. ??" .. Buy your stuff from a place that does not use any wording in it's name related to vaping .. if, on the slim chance shippers are asked to attempt to screen incoming packages, (which is unlikely, but still) .. any vape related name of the Company would be a tip off ..

MsBree

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2010
New Jersey
www.precious-pets.org
I'm noticing this situation is causing me a bit of anxiety, I'm taking more puffs. So may be the stash isn't big enough because my consumption is increasing. (Sigh...)

Same here, and I'm feeling a sense of urgency to stock up on nic! NJ created a Task Force 2 weeks ago, with a 2-week deadline (tomorrow), on the vaping "crisis". I can't help but feel this assbackwards State is going to follow MA, as Sweeney already wants to make vaping illegal.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I am in Mass. Its all over the news stations. All the shops are closing. Many will file for bankruptcy. They cant float it for 4 months. The local news said that you cannot ship anything in from outside states, TY Gov Baker, you douch! I am going to try to put in a big order from my fav shop out of state and see if it goes through. :(
And to note how non-partisan this is, Baker is a GOP guy. Some/many of the other governors are Dems.
It's all over the spectrum.

Further, online sales will be targeted next, by congress (D.C.). Watch.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
And to note how non-partisan this is, Baker is a GOP guy. Some/many of the other governors are Dems.
It's all over the spectrum.

Further, online sales will be targeted next, by congress (D.C.). Watch.

Yeah, when it comes to the "Save Us From Ourselves" issues, it's not going to necessarily be a straight Red or Blue line .. bring in the Libertarians, IMO ..

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Yeah, when it comes to the "Save Us From Ourselves" issues, it's not going to necessarily be a straight Red or Blue line .. bring in the Libertarians, IMO ..
They won't help either, IMO. The reason is that without regulation, BT will still own the market and drive the others out. IMO, there's no such thing as an actual "free market". It's regulation that keeps it a FAIR market, if you can uncorrupt it. We went though that already with lumber/steel/whatever barons and big-money monopolies.

This is an Oligarchy vs democracy war. Oligarchy is winning, not "we the people". We need to take it back and fix it, not destroy it. That's our whole problem here...king-corporations, and the politicians they own.

:2c:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I thought the US federal govt vaping news was crazy and MI and NY State even nuttier. This immediate ban is unreal. Wow.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Canada follows suit in some way later this year.

I just checked my freezer nic stash and have enough for my wife and I for almost 30 years. Maybe a couple hundred $$$ invested. I strongly suggest every vaper that wants to continue to vape does the same ASAP.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I can't find any actual info on the 5 / 0 coming out and shutting down shops .. anyone have a link .. ??

Those that mentioned here that Vape Shops could weather the storm, well, maybe a few could, but a minimum 4 month shutdown (unless it's extended) is really the Kiss of Death .. how many people, small business owners or otherwise, could go 4 months without a cash flow .. ?? Weathering the storm takes advance planning, unless you've got a nice Line of Credit and your Banker lets you use it .. how many Banks are going to float a Vape Shop under this scenario .. ??

As far as the question of "How does this effect Mail Order .. ??" .. Buy your stuff from a place that does not use any wording in it's name related to vaping .. if, on the slim chance shippers are asked to attempt to screen incoming packages, (which is unlikely, but still) .. any vape related name of the Company would be a tip off ..
I think most of the news is on local sites. A few links I found just now mentioned that it would be enforced by police. That in addition to first hand reports here.

I quoted you because I don't think most of the general public have much of a clue how small business works or survives. Unless you come up with a truly innovative, market-maker product or service, and even that is short term until someone copies you, competition is vicious and profit margins very tight. I don't think it's a stretch to say that most small businesses are always less than a month from bankruptcy, no matter how successful they appear. It's true about my own business anyway. Cash flow is life support. A few folks who will preach about responsible businesses having reserves and weathering storms, are usually people who have never risked a dollar on a small business in their lifetime. Or they did and failed, yet will never admit it.

I watched my own vape supplier weather a storm. An actual storm, that is. Hurricane Matthew last year hit southwest Georgia hard as a category 3. Biggest impact was on pecan and other crop related damage. My vape supplier is based in Albany GA and has a couple retail stores in the area. They were on the ropes for a few weeks. Not just damage to their facilities, but power and transportation outages.

Now project that kind of impact across an entire state. Or national. Or global. Lots of businesses, even entire supply chains with suddenly curtailed cash flow. It's a really big deal, not just for the consumers.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
I think most of the news is on local sites. A few links I found just now mentioned that it would be enforced by police. That in addition to first hand reports here.

I quoted you because I don't think most of the general public have much of a clue how small business works or survives. Unless you come up with a truly innovative, market-maker product or service, and even that is short term until someone copies you, competition is vicious and profit margins very tight. I don't think it's a stretch to say that most small businesses are always less than a month from bankruptcy, no matter how successful they appear. It's true about my own business anyway. Cash flow is life support. A few folks who will preach about responsible businesses having reserves and weathering storms, are usually people who have never risked a dollar on a small business in their lifetime. Or they did and failed, yet will never admit it.

I watched my own vape supplier weather a storm. An actual storm, that is. Hurricane Matthew last year hit southwest Georgia hard as a category 3. Biggest impact was on pecan and other crop related damage. My vape supplier is based in Albany GA and has a couple retail stores in the area. They were on the ropes for a few weeks. Not just damage to their facilities, but power and transportation outages.

Now project that kind of impact across an entire state. Or national. Or global. Lots of businesses, even entire supply chains with suddenly curtailed cash flow. It's a really big deal, not just for the consumers.

Preach it, Brother .. I've been self employed for 45 years .. it's no cakewalk ..

I'll add :: If I want a Vacation for a week, I have to plan in advance for at least a year .. because, even losing a weeks cash flow hurts ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread