Mech mod disfigures a e-cig user, sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
It's not a bad device considering it's copper on the inside regardless of what finish you get. It has the screw adjustments for the 510 and battery rattle as opposed to a floating pin. Insulated negative switch too.

What Boden pointed out is important, it's vent holes are near the bottom, which makes this case kind of odd considering his face was hurt and not his hand.

The article pointed fault toward the battery, but since sigelei was mentioned I wonder if that will cause any issues for them.
Its not odd, batteries swell before they vent from the top making bottom venting useless.

By my math pressure built up inside the mod until the top cap threading failed and blew off with about 800 to 1000 pounds of force. Thus busted face.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    That is true but that gap between the pressfit top and the casing is the fail point.

That's true, however .... as it fails, it mushrooms causing it to seal .... then the casing ruptures.
    After the mushroom seals .... the top vent might no longer be part of the equation.
    We went through this extensively here on ecf a couple of years ago. The only "safe" vent goes the full length of the tube.
    EMSS - ECF Metal tubemods Safety Specification

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    It's just this kind of $#!+ that's going to have us all using Vuse, Blu or nothing.
    They will stop selling cars and motorcycles we all will have to take public transports and trains with helmets and knee pads on. There are 1000+ vehicle accidents per day with 3,287 deaths a day.. Perhaps one e cigarette accident per 4 months 0 deaths..

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    so ...what has changed so drastically in the last year in the vaping world that this is starting to become a common place occurrence? I mean people were using mech mods back in 2011 when I first started vaping and in 2012 mech mods were really starting to become popular, yet, this was almost unheard of. The big deal back then was mostly ego type batteries catching fire/exploding while being charged.

The "YouTube educated" crowd discovered vaping.

2 min video = expert training.
    :facepalm:

It's just nature taking it's course, trying to cull the dumb, for the sake of our species.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    There are too many stories out there for anyone to feign ignorance of the dangers involved with vaping. Most people would ask questions about the dangers before they bought a piece of gear. There is a segment of the population though that has a flippant attitude towards life in general.

Yes but you are also inside the community "bubble". I think vape community onliners often forget that the general population as a whole has very little/limited to no knowledge about vaping, gear, eliquid in general. In the entire two years I was "offline" I had zero idea what was happening in regards to anything vaping period and if the newbie forum/questions asked here is anything to go by I was not alone in that experience.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    not sure what this has to do with mech mods exploding?

Well call me stupid, ( and I think I am most of the time ) but My point was that so many things that we cant live without, can and have exploded or caused harm from use, but NO one seems to be banning cellphones, flashlights etc. ITs all because of the money that is being lost by cigarette companies and the states taxes that are not being reaped by this "vaping" thing that is endangering Americans.....

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Seriously, what is the advantage to a mech mod! please don't say simplicity, my Sigeli 30w is as simple as it gets Please tell me why it's better! If it's gonna give me a better vape than my IPV4s please tell me & I'll get dressed (I'm in my comfys) & I'll go buy one right now!

IMO mech mods are not better, they are just different with their own pluses and minuses compared to regulated mods.

I appreciate and use both.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    I have seen a lot of comments in this thread that breaks it down to, IMO, mechs are not the friendliest of New User devices. Yes there are new users that can jump right in with a mech and sub-ohm atty on top, "IF" that user does their research properly, and "IF" the peers he hangs out with "KNOW" just what they heck they are doing also. A one hour crash course discussion at a B&M just does not cut it, if that B&M were so inclined to do so. Honestly I imagine as most, the battery at issue in the OP was a re-wrap from one of the many offenders on the market, Efest, IMRen, MXJO, AWT, take your pick.

When I was working at a vape shop and had a new or newish vaper wanting to dive in head first, this was the list (updated now with newer things on the market) I told them they needed to research before I would take liability selling the devices to them...

1) Ohm's Law - read about it, get a good understanding about it, and how it works (there would be a quiz)
    2) Battery Safety and Battery Chemistry - this included what types of batteries, proper charging and discharging, proper handling and care (there would be a quiz)
    3) Mod Designs - does the mech have venting, if so, where is it, what are the warning signs the battery isn't venting properly (mod is hot, hissing, foul smell, etc) (there was a quiz)
    4) Coil building - I guided mentorship process, I would not sell them any wire or tools until I felt they were competent enough to this on their own (this excluded ohm readers, on a mech you need an ohm reader), this mentorship I'd build the first few coils with them watching me, next couple work together, then the next couple just observing them doing it and give pointers and such. They were welcome to come in any time and ask questions and advice any time they wanted, especially during slow hours if they could, I was happy to sit and discuss things, if I got busy I'd pause the discussion, especially if a new vaper walked in
    5) Choose your equipment wisely, this includes batteries, chargers, battery cases, mods, atomizers, etc. Personally IMO, if you are running a mech, especially below 1Ohm, the minimum battery you need is a Sony VTC4, best batteries are Sony VTC3 (if you can find them) and now added to the list is the LG HB6, all of them true 30amp or capable of handling 30amp loads. So with 30amp limits, lowest you will ever want to build on a mech with these batteries is a 15amp to 20amp load, giving you 15 to 10amps spare "UH OH" room in case of a mishap. Chargers, buy the best charger you can afford, light user near or above 1ohm regularly used, a 2 bay and 4 batteries, Nitecore i2 or D2, Efest LUC2, or an Xtar VC/VP/WP2 minimum, 0.6ish and below, 4bay charger and at least 8 batteries, Nitecore i4/D4, Efest LUC4, Xtar VC/VP/WP4 minimum. Have enough 2bay or 4bay battery cases to carry your batteries safely, and never in your regular pants pocket or purse pocket where keys and loose change and such can cause an issue, if need be, a cheap fanny pack is a great investment, even an old ego carrying case works real well.

I always forced the shop owners to always have Sony VTC 3 and 4's on hand in good quantity, with for mods like a SVD or such, there I would sell an MNKE or other 20amp battery for use with those, made them angry at my sales tactics for a while, but they soon learned the value of it, when one of them on my day off sold a mech, patriot clone, 4 of the first versions of the Purple Efests, 2bay trustfire charger, spool of 26awg wire, and such to a kid, and let him out the store. 2days later kid came in with an attorney, kid's hand wrapped up in a cast, mod and atty in pieces and scraps of one of the Efests, "Make it right or we are suing..." I spent six hours explaining things to everyone, replaced the mod, atty, 4 new Sony VTC4's, and an XTar WP4 all for free, just to make it right and keep the glaring attorney happy. Shop owners really wisened up after that incident.

Unless the "attorney" was a family member or friend I don't believe this happened.
    An attorney comming physically into a store with a client and threatening a store owner is not only extremy unethical,and liable, it makes zero sense financially for the attorney, who would get a percentage of the personal injury claim.
    It's also extortion.
    The attorney basically cuts his own throat.
    Maybe it was a friend or family member, but a random attorney would never ever do that.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    East Midlands, United Kingdom
    Wouldn't it be nice to get back to the time when adults doing stupid things took responsibility for being a stupid adult rather then blaming the object of their stupidity it's something that bugs the hell out of me about society today always looking for a way not to call an idiot an idiot. Yes this guy got hurt but he got hurt because he didn't bother to do even basic looking up about what he'd purchased or how to use it and the press blames the ecig, yeah because that mod knew it was going to bought by an idiot paired with a stupid tank for a mech mod and just happily laid in the box till Einstein got it home and the inevitable happened. This guy would have had an accident with anything sooner or later just our luck it was now and an ecig.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Proving my point, assuming that these types of things can only happen with new vapers. Again many people vaping for a time still may not rebuild or use anything other than an ego, then decide to go further without researching first. It doesn't matter how long someone has vaped to be able to rank their knowledge or skill level.
    I have been dripping on an Ego Twist with 510 atomizers for well over 4 years now.

A few months back I won a Subtank Nano that I haven't even opened yet.
    And I also just won a eVic VTC Mini thingamabob.

My knowlege/skill level is at about 20% I guess.
    But thanks to being on this forum, I know that I have something I need to know.

The key here is the part about "being on this forum" and nothing more.
    :)

It's just like people wanting to go after gun man. companies, a good example is the .223 and 5.56 ammo. They look the same and are technically the same caliber but the 5.56 has more psi. Is it the makers place or the users place to know the difference? People need to just stop doing and start thinking first.
    MOST people know a gun can hurt you.
    And can't really use one without learning about using one.

That's not at all the case for vaping devices.

It's not common sense, unless understanding that batteries are dangerous is common sense.
    And it's not, no matter what anyone wants to think.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
    Dec 7, 2014
    Vienna, Austria
    Its not odd, batteries swell before they vent from the top making bottom venting useless.

By my math pressure built up inside the mod until the top cap threading failed and blew off with about 800 to 1000 pounds of force. Thus busted face.

I have been arguing in another thread that conventional bottom venting is generally poor design. It appears like a case where one person came up with venting at the bottom, then other manufacturers copied it by making holes in the bottom, without ever putting a second thought into it.

We wouldn't want gasses venting in our faces, but at the same time, battery swelling does happen (even if others posted youtube links where a guy vented 4 batteries without consequences and it was thus 'fine'). Even if the battery does not swell, the shrink wrap will contract further and likely tear, with a fair chance at blocking off the small tolerances between tube and battery at least partially.
    On the inside of any rigid tube, or dual boxmods that use tube style receivers, there should be channels on the inside of the tube to allow for gas travel from the top of the battery to the venting holes.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    "We're all just guinea pigs. Until we speak up and try to share with other people that these are dangerous and they can happen to you, then people aren't going to know," Cindy said.

:-x
    We are all just guinea pigs in the vaping game. And it does take more knowledge to vape safely than to smoke unless you use disposable cigalikes. Yech.
    We do not yet know what long term impacts vaping may have on us if any. Overly dangerous for those of us who educate ourselves on vaping reasonably? Nope
    I still feel it is much safer than smoking.
    Typed as I sit here vaping on a mech mod using AP infested juice at a blazing 19 watts ;)

Personally I do not think it wise to start vaping with a mech mod and a TFV4....

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    What safety features does a regulated mod have that would prevent something like this happening? All these stories seem to be mech-mods, surely if they have the potential to be very dangerous in the wrong hands, they should not be so readily available and marketed in the same way as regulated mods o_O. Excuse the noob question
    Most regulated mods are not so tightly sealed up around the battery and will just vent out the battery door vs exploding. Many/most also have a high temp shutdown feature.

This has got me to thinking that I might drill 3 vent holes around the top of my Mechs....

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY
    Most regulated mods are not so tightly sealed up around the battery and will just vent out the battery door vs exploding. Many/most also have a high temp shutdown feature.

This has got me to thinking that I might drill 3 vent holes around the top of my Mechs....
    :D
    image.jpg

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 14, 2014
    I'm waiting for someone to do a news report on how I vape a mech safely everyday.
    "We're all just guinea pigs. Until we speak up and try to share with other people that these are dangerous and they can happen to you, then people aren't going to know," Cindy said.

:-x

I would love to tell Cindy when I wanted a mech I did plenty of research on them to be safe, and I haven't had not one hiccup. I'm sorry you married a ....., hope you haven't had any little ...... yet. :)

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    Mainly, from what I understand, it's the ohms. You can vape with a 1.5 - 3.0 ohm cartomizer more safely than a 0.2 - 0.5 ohm coil. The lower your ohms go, the battery needs to be that much better. You have to understand the limitations of the batteries and how your builds are affecting them. Plus, certain mods should not be used with certain tanks/atomizers. (ie: tanks with a non adjustable center pin should not be used on a hybrid mod because the positive battery post may come into contact with the negative sides of the tank and cause a short. Learned this from the forum AFTER I did it. Fortunately, it did not result in me blowing my face off.) With the variety of options in mods, tanks, atomizers and coil builds, there is a lot more to learn than in 2011 when we just slapped on a cartomizer or a clearomizer and vaped.

You mean "resistance".

And the problem is education, not resistance.

Using the wrong atty on a mech will cause a short at any resistance.

Know.
    Your.
    Gear.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread