ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Cell Phone related :
Explosions? Electrocution? Fatal phone accidents are rarer than you think

Alcohol Related:
Alcohol Facts and Statistics | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

Bad choices:
Darwin Awards. Chlorinating The Gene Pool.

Fire stats:
fire%20stats-001_zpsctoyia3d.jpg

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
What's your point?
My wife rocks a mechanical with a derringer at .4 ohms. She's an adult. She knows what she is doing, and is very educated when it comes to mechanicals and battery chemistry.
It's not rocket science.

Don't bring a child into the analogy.
We are referring to grown adults.

You Also missed my point. Some like mechanicals because they are simple primitive electronics.
They also never die.
My point and question still is; would it really adversely effect the performance of the device to add some safety features so people are less likely to get hurt?

EVERYBODY! Would any safety features effect the performance of a mech mod?

The whole point about the 55 Chevy is that I hope you would add seatbelts to a car that didn't come with them to protect yourself & your family!
And as far as bringing a child into the analogy; is your child or children ever in the room or near you when your vaping?

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Expecting a vape store employee to educate you about vaping is like expecting a McDonald's employee to educate you about nutrition.

Educate yourself.

RIGHT ON....

Its a vape shop. They are supposed to sell to adults, so they kinda assume as "adults" that we might have done some research.

Now, should they warn you? Yes... Do they have to? NO. Its sales techniques,if they start to warn someone too much then it causes the customer to have doubts and that means they might not make the sale or they will buy it somewhere else after the salesperson has made the effort to educate. Wasted time, wasted money.

Vaping products WILL most likely not be totally banned ( money to be made) but it will eventually all have warning labels, and big fines if they dont and sell them. Just like cigarettes and alcohol , large fines if sold to the under-aged.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
so ...what has changed so drastically in the last year in the vaping world that this is starting to become a common place occurrence? I mean people were using mech mods back in 2011 when I first started vaping and in 2012 mech mods were really starting to become popular, yet, this was almost unheard of. The big deal back then was mostly ego type batteries catching fire/exploding while being charged.

What has changed: NUMBERS.

The more people that vape the more people walking around with lithium batteries in mech mods, and as vaping goes more mainstream, the more mainstream users.

that guy was using a tfv4 on a mech mod; who knows maybe he decided to try out one of those 0.12 ohm Ni coils without knowing what they were for and the person he bought it from was just selling stuff and maybe didn't even know or care to ask.

HighPlainsPuffer

Jul 9, 2015
in flux
My point and question still is; would it really adversely effect the performance of the device to add some safety features so people are less likely to get hurt?

The whole point about the 55 Chevy is that I hope you would add seatbelts to a car that didn't come with them to protect yourself & your family!
And as far as bringing a child into the analogy; is your child or children ever in the room or near you when your vaping?

There are plenty of mods with safety features. Again, adults choose what vehicles they want to use. Mechs are the motorcycles of the mod world. Guessing you're pro-helmet laws? Why can't people choose on their own what they want to utilize? I use mechs, though less than regulated overall. They're very convenient due to simplicity, I like the size, and they're artsy. I am a hobbyist, and build everything to work on both mechs and regulated mods so I can toss anything on anything given any safety precautions. There are unregulated tubes that are pretty darn close to mechs, so the options are out there.

The person in the article threw safety in the wind just like someone on a brand new motorcycle seeing how fast it goes. I've been there, and learned a valuable lesson in self control.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
OFF TOPIC WARNING: yes you have been warned! :)

greatest thing since sliced bread :w00t: if mine ever exploded I hope it takes me with it! LOL

sorry ok.... back to the topic at hand :)

Off topic warning as well.

OMG girl, I have a joke going that I tell people if my house caught on fire the Zojirushi would be one of the things I grabbed as I headed out the door. I like it THAT MUCH. Japanese technology is great, and I use mine for all kinds of rice, quinoa, steel cut oats, etc. Love love love it and now everyone in my family has one due to me buying as gifts over the years

Speaking of which, any japanese PVs out there? I would probably purchase.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
for every one of these incidents where somebody gets seriously hurt, there's probably 10 more incidents where there wasn't such serious injury to make the news;

like incidents where somebody sets down their mod to go to the bathroom and forgets to lock it properly first

Reactions: YoursTruli

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
What has changed: NUMBERS.

The more people that vape the more people walking around with lithium batteries in mech mods, and as vaping goes more mainstream, the more mainstream users.

that guy was using a tfv4 on a mech mod; who knows maybe he decided to try out one of those 0.12 ohm Ni coils without knowing what they were for and the person he bought it from was just selling stuff and maybe didn't even know or care to ask.

Not really buying in on the whole numbers thing. I am more of the belief it would not matter how many people were using them as long as the battery limits were respected and not being pushed to and beyond their limit. When users were not vaping at super sub-ohm levels or using pseudo-hybrid mechs (I can only speak to 2011-12 some of 13) mech mods were not exploding (like they are now).

...another thing I have been wondering does no one use a kick or safety fuses anymore?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

Well, let me use an example. One that I know well.

In a REO, the safety feature would be called "the spring".

It works perfectly. I shorted one on purpose to see in action. Spring dropped, battery dropped and ceased contact with firing pin. Other than a rattle (from battery now flopping around inside the reo and no more vapor) you wouldn't have even known anything happened. :) EAsy peasy

However, with hybrid mods and shorting out at the atty pin, that's a little different

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
1066607-3.jpg

ICR battery , retail; no hazard warning at all.

I have an ordinary Duracell AA battery with the caution label as follows:
CAUTION DO NOT CONNECT IMPROPERLY
CHARGE OR DISPOSE OF IN FIRE. BATTERY MAY
EXPLODE OR LEAK

And it's got it in French too.

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
for every one of these incidents where somebody gets seriously hurt, there's probably 10 more incidents where there wasn't such serious injury to make the news;
Yes, +90% of which also probably involved mech mods.

like incidents where somebody sets down their mod to go to the bathroom and forgets to lock it properly first
Only a mech mod.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Yes, +90% of which also probably involved mech mods too.

Only a mech mod.

Not to be arguementive, but a regulated device with a side button can fire if it is placed on its side or thrown in a pocket or left charging. Yes, I know there are safety features that dont let it fire longer than so many seconds, but it might fire over and over and over....till one more press of the button stresses the battery and....

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
not sure what this has to do with mech mods exploding?

Well call me stupid, ( and I think I am most of the time ) but My point was that so many things that we cant live without, can and have exploded or caused harm from use, but NO one seems to be banning cellphones, flashlights etc. ITs all because of the money that is being lost by cigarette companies and the states taxes that are not being reaped by this "vaping" thing that is endangering Americans.....

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
Well, let me use an example. One that I know well.

In a REO, the safety feature would be called "the spring".

It works perfectly. I shorted one on purpose to see in action. Spring dropped, battery dropped and ceased contact with firing pin. Other than a rattle (from battery now flopping around inside the reo and no more vapor) you wouldn't have even known anything happened. :) EAsy peasy

However, with hybrid mods and shorting out at the atty pin, that's a little different
Thank you!
What's the advantage of a hybrid mech over say a mech with a spring loaded 510?

Reactions: anavidfan

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Not to be arguementive, but a regulated device with a side button can fire if it is placed on its side or thrown in a pocket or left charging. Yes, I know there are safety features that dont let it fire longer than so many seconds, but it might fire over and over and over....till one more press of the button stresses the battery and....
Hi fan. Yes, but regulated mod fire buttons typically aren't on the base like mech's are, and so normally not resting the mod on the fire button. Mech's are by design resting on the firing button. So here again mech's a far more dangerous device to use than regulated mods.

Reactions: anavidfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread