Mech mod disfigures a e-cig user, sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
It's just this kind of $#!+ that's going to have us all using Vuse, Blu or nothing.
They will stop selling cars and motorcycles we all will have to take public transports and trains with helmets and knee pads on. There are 1000+ vehicle accidents per day with 3,287 deaths a day.. Perhaps one e cigarette accident per 4 months 0 deaths..

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    what's the lowest safe resistance to use for a mech mod? say im using a 25r or hg2.
    if i am splitting up my flow of electricity to three or four coils, i would assume the resistance can get very low.

I try to never exceed 50% of a batteries CDR, which would be 10 amps for those two batteries. With an unregulated mod that would mean that 0.4 ohms is the lowest I would ever want to use.

WattWick

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    That's just sad. Sounds like a new vaper was sold the wrong starter gear and never got told what batteries to use.

Regardless of venting - our batteries of choice do not blow up instantly like this one apparently did. Regardless of that - that is not a setup for someone just wanting to kick the cigs.

There are no vent holes that will make the wrong kind of battery vent less violently. How well a battery handles a thermal runaway is not a function of the mod - regardless of protective features like short circuit protection or even temperature shutdowns. What does it matter if the tiny little screen reads "temp hi" for a fraction of a second (or not) before the battery (not the mod) goes boom.

Don't let safety features be a replacement for knowing how to safely operate a battery powered Anything, folks. Scares me when people who apparently know next to nothing about batteries think their mods will magically keep them safe regardless of what they throw at it or stick in it.

Visus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    what's the lowest safe resistance to use for a mech mod? say im using a 25r or hg2.
    if i am splitting up my flow of electricity to three or four coils, i would assume the resistance can get very low.

Ohms Law Calculator
    .21ohms is at the maximum draw for both cells if you want to use their pulse rating its ~.10
    if you use two in parallel its .10 max three its .10 lol

The problem is the batteries also have an internal resistance and your bordering on turning the battery into the coil and they go boom at that point...

Reactions: Devn

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    East Midlands, United Kingdom
    Mech mods may well be the sacrifice the community has to make, don't get me wrong I love my Dimitri and it gives me a better vape then some of my regulated but too many new people are buying mechs and just haven't got a clue what they are doing. On the face of it for non vapers ecigs must look dangerous as more and more stories like the one in the op are happening and while we know they can be safe non vapers just are not going to delve too deep to find the facts. B&m's need to take their share of the blame as most don't care as long as they get the cash and I've had to help out friends who went into a b&m admitting they were totally new to vaping and walked out with mechs, sub ohm tanks and crap batteries usually with a massive markup. The "victim" of this story is likely a victim of a sloppy b&m and his own laziness in not bothering to research his new setup just putting the battery in slapping that tfv4 on and boom.

Visus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    It doesn't help when the local B&M employee is vaping his tube mech at 0.09 ohms with a 20A battery, and telling everyone its perfectly safe.
    Yep and he has access to new batteries anytime he wants to swap out his cells and give them to a customer and now that customer has an abused cell thinking its new and no way to tell its abused.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 31, 2010
    SoCal
    They will stop selling cars and motorcycles we all will have to take public transports and trains with helmets and knee pads on. There are 1000+ vehicle accidents per day with 3,287 deaths a day.. Perhaps one e cigarette accident per 4 months 0 deaths..
    You're preaching to the choir here.

They'll also stop selling cell phones and laptop computers, which also have a nasty habit of blowing up.

No they won't.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    And by the way, I have a fair collection of mechs. Nearly 20. But, I'm educated in Ohm's Law and DC electronics. I put safety first. I have not had any issues, and hope I never do. If regulations are as dismal as they are looking, in a few years all or most of my mods may be unregulated.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    PhiLLy
    Re-wrapped battery+mech mod+sub-ohm tank+ignorance=this. I call BS on the whole "I saw flames shooting out of the garage" bit. It's ironic that a guy in Arkansas got hurt by an ecig though. They have some of the toughest laws in the US. Goes to show that legislation is ineffective. If he had been able to walk into a vape shop and get the knowledge he needed to vape safely, this might not have happened.
    With all due respect I highly disagree. As an experienced vaper, I've been inside more vape shops than I can count & it's a rarity to see a new vaper being taught anything or given any type of knowledge. I usually end up being the one walking up to the counter while the transaction is under way & become the one sharing the knowledge.

Recently I met a guy in the ER. We stepped outside together; I was vaping- he was smoking & he said he really wants to quit. I told him of the nearest vape shop in my area & even went out on a limb & gave this stranger my phone #. 3 days later he phoned me happier than a kid with a new toy. He bought his first mod- an eGo One. The only thing he learned from this vape shop was to use the 0.50 coil to make big clouds!

Devn

Nov 12, 2015
    I try to never exceed 50% of a batteries CDR, which would be 10 amps for those two batteries. With an unregulated mod that would mean that 0.4 ohms is the lowest I would ever want to use.

Ohms Law Calculator
    .21ohms is at the maximum draw for both cells if you want to use their pulse rating its ~.10
    if you use two in parallel its .10 max three its .10 lol

The problem is the batteries also have an internal resistance and your bordering on turning the battery into the coil and they go boom at that point...
    Thanks for the insight, guys. It looks like this guy has been shorting his battery this whole time. The smok coils are 0.2 or 0.15 ohms. this makes a lot more sense as to why it would blow up.

ruet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    GR, MI

Poor analogy. You have to be trained, pass a test and possess a licence for any of those items.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    It doesn't help when the local B&M employee is vaping his tube mech at 0.09 ohms with a 20A battery, and telling everyone its perfectly safe.
    I wonder how long before one of the super low ohm vape reviewers gets sued?
    It WILL happen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread