Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Hi all,

First things first, let me say I hate you all.;)

I was a happy little sub ohm tank RBA regulated mod vaper. I was happy, I was content. Then I joined here....

Now I can see myself slipping into being a hobby vaper and I really really want to.

I'm still stuck on nicotine (3mg) but I can still use my current set up for that to get my dosage.

I bought a cheapish velocity deck RDA other day as a bit of a toy and just to see what the fuss was about, I love it! The flavour is just a completely different experience compared to tanks. I'm now looking for a decent RDA with a mech mod. Won't leave the house as use my tank out and about, just want the occasional flavour hit.

I'm aware of all the safety issues using a mech. Will be using a Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6 (Would prefer a single 18650) and never building lower than 0.3.

None of my local shops seem to stock mechs and I'm reluctant to buy something I've not seen without a strong recommendation from someone in the know (Hence this thread). Only thing I'd say is I'd like a side firing button.

I'm UK based.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Reactions: Kprthevapr

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
We hate you too :wub:

The problem is with recommendations is that what good for me is not necessarily good for you. Having said that I've been vaping for nearly seven years, and the Stingray X clone is the ONLY tube mech I use. Small, beautiful, ergonomic, well designed and most importantly electrically efficient.

$21.57 Stingray X Style Mechanical Mod - 18350/18500/18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

62C1R4B.jpg

Carbon fiber version
zXqNAx4.jpg

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Honestly I'd recommend going with a parallel instead of a tube, more wiggle room for amps. But with that said here's my Lecture I give to every Newb to Mech's.

1. Ohm's law, Steam Engine main page makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
2. Batteries, GOOD batteries, take good care of them and know them!!!!!!!!
a. Avoid crap batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with Authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not ebay or amazon) sources, great places I get authentic are from
http://liionwholesale.com/
Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse", pulse is BS
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog
d. In Mod's with multipule batteries, marry them.
e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you pit it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your Johnson off ya know ;)
6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.
a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Side firing buttons limit you considerably for single battery mods. Are you happy having a parallel mech box?

Ah that's a good point. As long as its not a monster (Smaller than my Alien at least!) Can't see an issue with going for a parallel.

We hate you too :wub:

The problem is with recommendations is that what good for me is not necessarily good for you. Having said that I've been vaping for nearly seven years, and the Stingray X clone is the ONLY tube mech I use. Small, beautiful, ergonomic, well designed and most importantly electrically efficient.

$21.57 Stingray X Style Mechanical Mod - 18350/18500/18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

62C1R4B.jpg

Carbon fiber version
zXqNAx4.jpg

Thanks for that, looks stunning!

I did have a little look through FastTech but alot of choice, and as I said, if I can't get it in my hands before buying, I would like an experienced opinion from people like yourself. Found a shop that had 1 Mech clone in but it just felt flimsy, the fire button rattled, painted copper and the paint had run down into the actual battery chamber. It wasn't even that cheap!

Honestly I'd recommend going with a parallel instead of a tube, more wiggle room for amps. But with that said here's my Lecture I give to every Newb to Mech's.

1. Ohm's law, Steam Engine main page makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
a. Avoid crap batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with Authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not ebay or amazon) sources, great places I get authentic are from
Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse", pulse is BS
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog
e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you pit it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your Johnson off ya know ;)
6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.

Thanks for the heads up. Always nice to be reminded.

I went on Moochs recommendation when picking batteries for my regulated so will certainly again this time, hence the Samsung 30Qs or VTC6s.

Luckily I have most of the kit already (Ohm Reader, Ultrasonic etc) made my own liquid for a while and the ultrasonic is essential to me for that.

Thank you again though for info.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
17 quid, and a gold endorsement..... but I appreciate that hands on is the ultimate decider.

I was going to order one, sadly everyone I liked the look of was either discontinued or out of stock, just my luck! Had a look at UK suppliers but they are either out of stock aswell or are £30+.

Must be popular! I'll keep my eyes on it and see if come back in on FastTech. If not any other suggestions appreciated.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

I agree with most of this except the Efest comment.
Efest doesnt rewrap "crap" cells.

The issue is with Efest mislabeling and inflating the specs, not the quality of the cells they use.
Mooch's bench tests confirm this.

I dont recommend Efest cells for beginners.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I agree with most of this except the Efest comment.
Efest doesnt rewrap "crap" cells.

The issue is with Efest mislabeling and inflating the specs, not the quality of the cells they use.
Mooch's bench tests confirm this.

I dont recommend Efest cells for beginners.
I don't recommend eFest for anyone. You never know what garbage battery they will re-wrap and change. Example is the eFest Purple 35a. Mooch initially tested it and it was a pathetic 15a battery, then another batch they dropped to a 10a.

eFest are garbage, you can't trust them

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
@CoreyDog Is a side firing button a game changer for you? If not, I can recommend a number of mods.

No, it would be preferable as could see a bottom firing button being a little awkward but I'm sure I'll adapt!

I don't recommend eFest for anyone. You never know what garbage battery they will re-wrap and change. Example is the eFest Purple 35a. Mooch initially tested it and it was a pathetic 15a battery, then another batch they dropped to a 10a.

eFest are garbage, you can't trust them

That's just scary! How can they get away advertising a battery at 35A when it comes out so low?

I'll always stick with "Big 3", for sake of a tiny amount of money (Less than a £1) why run the risk.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
That's just scary! How can they get away advertising a battery at 35A when it comes out so low?

I'll always stick with "Big 3", for sake of a tiny amount of money (Less than a £1) why run the risk.

Malicious companies like eFest need to be black listed IMO for what they do. It's also irresponsible for Vape Companies to even stock their garbage.

If you're a Vaper yes, stick only with the big 3, Sony, Samsung or LG.

Reactions: sonicbomb

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Malicious companies like eFest need to be black listed IMO for what they do. It's also irresponsible for Vape Companies to even stock their garbage.

If you're a Vaper yes, stick only with the big 3, Sony, Samsung or LG.

You are letting your emotions cloud your logic.

Efest uses decent cells. They are mislabled.
The company is fraudulent, shady, dangerous and misleading, however the cells are not garbage.
Thats a misleading untrue statement.

I dont recommend them either, but please stick to facts when trying to educate new vapers.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
You are letting your emotions cloud your logic.

Efest uses decent cells. They are mislabled.
The company is fraudulent, shady, dangerous and misleading, however the cells are not garbage.
Thats a misleading untrue statement.

I dont recommend them either, but please stick to facts when trying to educate new vapers.
Really?

So explain to me how taking 10 amp batteries and rating them at 35 amp thus putting your customers in danger is not Malicious and calling them out on that is a misleading and untrue Statement? How is stating a fact and warning others letting my emotions cloud my logic?

I'm all ears.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Really?

So explain to me how taking 10 amp batteries and rating them at 35 amp thus putting your customers in danger is not Malicious and calling them out on that is a misleading and untrue Statement? How is stating a fact and warning others letting my emotions cloud my logic?

I'm all ears.

I didnt say that.
I said calling the cells "crap" is untrue, because it is.
The cells aren't bad cells, they are mislabled.
Slow down, and read.
Im not defending the company, just stating facts.

(FYI: AW did the exact same thing. See Mooch's bench tests).

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I didnt say that.
I said calling the cells "crap" is untrue, because it is.
The cells aren't bad cells, they are mislabled.
Slow down, and read.
Im not defending the company, just stating facts.

(FYI: AW did the exact same thing. See Mooch's bench tests).
So an intentionally underrated battery isn't a "Crap" battery? OK :rolleyes:

Besides you have no idea where they get their batteries from to rewrap, which BTW changes from batch to batch. Basically where ever they can source their batteries from for the cheapest cost.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
So an intentionally underrated battery isn't a "Crap" battery? OK :rolleyes:

Besides you have no idea where they get their batteries from to rewrap, which BTW changes from batch to batch. Basically where ever they can source their batteries from for the cheapest cost.

:facepalm:
Again, according to Mooch's bench tests, the cells themselves are not "crap".
They are mislabled.
When you generalize with such passion you miss the point.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Again, according to Mooch's bench tests, the cells themselves are not "crap".
They are mislabled.
When you generalize with such passion you miss the point.
Potato, Potatoe.

A 10a battery rated at 35a and quoting Mooch
"I am frakkin' ...... off! Efest, this is truly despicable behavior. Giving a 20A cell a 35A rating is bad enough. Now you're doing it with a 10A cell? How the hell do you people live with yourselves?"

This to me is a crap battery, justify it as you will, this isn't being emotional either, it's just stating reality.

Like if someone was to market a semi truck as capable of 1800 lbs ft torque but only put a 500 lbs torque engine in, that would be a "Crap" semi truck.

No matter how you spin it, eFest are not only Crap Batteries but dangerous.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Potato, Potatoe.

A 10a battery rated at 35a and quoting Mooch
"I am frakkin' ...... off! Efest, this is truly despicable behavior. Giving a 20A cell a 35A rating is bad enough. Now you're doing it with a 10A cell? How the hell do you people live with yourselves?"

This to me is a crap battery, justify it as you will, this isn't being emotional either, it's just stating reality.

Like if someone was to market a semi truck as capable of 1800 lbs ft torque but only put a 500 lbs torque engine in, that would be a "Crap" semi truck.

No matter how you spin it, eFest are not only Crap Batteries but dangerous.

AW did it too.
So did Sony.
Are they all crap cells too?

Some of the older Efest were rewrapped VTC4s.
Are VTC4s crap cells too?

Your broad generalizations make it look like you dont know what you are talking about.

And there is no such thing as a "potatoe".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread