Not open for further replies.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Well lets see ......................
8 watts and 42v would need a 220 ohm coil

What I don't like is that the FDA will demand that PV's will be so junked up with safety devices that they are to big to carry.
I would think a 22ohm coil at 80w would be more realistic, now to find a 10 coil series rda...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thought about this one some more. The issue UL has with replaceable battery mods is that the batteries aren’t super safe. They don’t have enough protective cladding on them. People like replaceable batteries. This is true for most devices. Charging cables kinda suck. What would be needed is a more robust lithium battery standard than what we have now.
So who should have that responsibility?

Lg, Samsung, and Sony/Murata want nothing to do with the vaping industry. At one time, Vapcell showed some interest in producing a battery specifically for vaping. However, in a poll that Mooch did a while back, users didn't vote for a "safer battery" as among the top choices. A small battery company isn't going to sink a lot of money in R & D to make a safer battery design if its not among the top choices for a new battery.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
As did Ryobi:

VNMDs01.jpg

I have a bunch of these. When one finally gives up the ghost, I will open it up to find out exactly what's in it.
Could be a LiPo bag. Use caution.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019

Lg, Samsung, and Sony/Murata want nothing to do with the vaping industry. At one time, Vapcell showed some interest in producing a battery specifically for vaping. However, in a poll that Mooch did users didn't vote for a "safer battery" as among the top choices.
Couldn't agree more. I'd hapilly take a VTC5A with a few more mm of steel and plastic, maybe a 35A fuse, put it straight into a 21700 mod, and be quite content.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Lg, Samsung, and Sony/Murata want nothing to do with the vaping industry. At one time, Vapcell showed some interest in producing a battery specifically for vaping. However, in a poll that Mooch did a while back, users didn't vote for a "safer battery" as among the top choices. A small battery company isn't going to sink a lot of money in R & D to make a safer battery design if its not among the top choices for a new battery.
The ISO I would think. It’s literally what they do. It’s been proven that proprietary systems usually don’t catch on in the long run. It’s happened, but it’s rare. Non proprietary systems generally absolutely kick their Fanny’s even if they’re not as good. 510 wasn’t the best standard, but it wasn’t proprietary. VHS wasn’t the best standard either. It WAS proprietary, but it was less proprietary than Sony’s. Plus it was cheaper. Sony chased that whale for decades and finally caught blu-Ray. I can’t even load blu-Ray. I got an optical drive that can read it which I payed no joke triple for, but the insane levels of DRM aresuch a PITA I gave up trying. And I LIKE to mess around with my computer for hours.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not to sound like a fan boi, but doesn't/didn't Molicel communicate with/has(have/does) endorse the vaping community? I thought I read somewhere they talked to mooch, and the feedback was, bluntly, to hell with safety, give us more power?
Maybe it was Molicel and not Vapcell, I don't remember. But yeah, I was pretty dissapointed with the poll results. Vapers can be their own worst enemy sometimes.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Not to sound like a fan boi, but doesn't/didn't Molicel communicate with/has(have/does) endorse the vaping community? I thought I read somewhere they talked to mooch, and the feedback was, bluntly, to hell with safety, give us more power?
That’s the community though. The FDA is the FDA.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
That’s the community though. The FDA is the FDA.
Not trying to debate that, my point is, they may be receptive to future designs.

I know I'd be happy with cells that didn't use the whole can as negative, better physical resilience, and maybe, just maybe, an over-current fuse.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The ISO I would think. It’s literally what they do. It’s been proven that proprietary systems usually don’t catch on in the long run. It’s happened, but it’s rare. Non proprietary systems generally absolutely kick their Fanny’s even if they’re not as good. 510 wasn’t the best standard, but it wasn’t proprietary. VHS wasn’t the best standard either. It WAS proprietary, but it was less proprietary than Sony’s. Plus it was cheaper. Sony chased that whale for decades and finally caught blu-Ray. I can’t even load blu-Ray. I got an optical drive that can read it which I payed no joke triple for, but the insane levels of DRM aresuch a PITA I gave up trying. And I LIKE to mess around with my computer for hours.
Look at cordless tools. All modern cordless tools use Li-ion battery packs. Almost all of them use an array of 18650 cells. Each major brand of tools has a proprietary battery pack format, but they're interchangeable between different tools of that brand.

I have several Bosch tools that use a "12V" pack. There's almost no doubt those packs use three 18650s in series.

I have some outdoor equipment (chain saw, hedge trimmer, pole saw) from Husqvarna. They tell you right in the product manual what cells their "36V" packs use:

DZ75zd9.png

Anyway, the proprietary nature of power tool battery packs doesn't seem to have put much of a damper on the popularity of such tools.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Look at cordless tools. All modern cordless tools use Li-ion battery packs. Almost all of them use an array of 18650 cells. Each major brand of tools has a proprietary battery pack format, but they're interchangeable between different tools of that brand.

I have several Bosch tools that use a "12V" pack. There's almost no doubt those packs use three 18650s in series.

I have some outdoor equipment (chain saw, hedge trimmer, pole saw) from Husqvarna. They tell you right in the product manual what cells their "36V" packs use:

DZ75zd9.png

Anyway, the proprietary nature of power tool battery packs doesn't seem to have put much of a damper on the popularity of such tools.
So, at best it'll be a PC/Macintosh scenario? Each brand with their own packs? Might as well just get a pod...

• Agree
Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So if anything vape-like remains after the approval process, the best to hope for would be a mod that uses a proprietary swappable battery pack. Sort of like what's used on camcorders (DSLRs as well, but those are tiny, well, so are most in the retail camcorder market compared to the larger HD cams used by news networks that are damn big and heavy). And those usually use proprietary chargers. No using your Canon battery pack on a Hitachi camcorder. Or like that for cordless power tools (which already use 18650s), but obviously not of that size, that also require their own chargers. It would certainly tie you into a brand, and if that brand is smart, the pack would be interchangeable with their different mods. I guess you can solve the battery charging issue by in mod charging only, hopefully with USB C as the new standard. But that would mean having more than one pack and tying up a mod just to charge a few batteries if you wanted to travel with backup. Maybe separate chargers would make sense, like we use now, but without the ability to charge any type of battery you're likely to select.

Yet RC and drone enthusiasts get to use Lipo's that are more dangerous, although I'm not sure they can be brought on planes. Maybe that was just the hoverboard craze when they were banned after igniting in overhead storage bins.

See? I typed all this, had to take a phone call, and all that typing was a waste. I don't care, I'm hitting post reply anyway.

Yeah, what @Rossum already said

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So if anything vape-like remains after the approval process, the best to hope for would be a mod that uses a proprietary swappable battery pack. Sort of like what's used on camcorders (DSLRs as well, but those are tiny, well, so are most in the retail camcorder market compared to the larger HD cams used by news networks that are damn big and heavy). And those usually use proprietary chargers. No using your Canon battery pack on a Hitachi camcorder. Or like that for cordless power tools (which already use 18650s), but obviously not of that size, that also require their own chargers. It would certainly tie you into a brand, and if that brand is smart, the pack would be interchangeable with their different mods. I guess you can solve the battery charging issue by in mod charging only, hopefully with USB C as the new standard. But that would mean having more than one pack and tying up a mod just to charge a few batteries if you wanted to travel with backup. Maybe separate chargers would make sense, like we use now, but without the ability to charge any type of battery you're likely to select.

Yet RC and drone enthusiasts get to use Lipo's that are more dangerous, although I'm not sure they can be brought on planes. Maybe that was just the hoverboard craze when they were banned after igniting in overhead storage bins.

See? I typed all this, had to take a phone call, and all that typing was a waste. I don't care, I'm hitting post reply anyway.

Yeah, what @Rossum already said
Or switch to an internal battery mod like UL suggested. Really sounds like the simplist and most logical scenario.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Or switch to an internal battery mod like UL suggested. Really sounds like the simplist and most logical scenario.

True, but if you run the battery down, it would be a great convenience to swap some sort of pack just as we now can swap batteries. That would be a far more palatable solution to being stuck with non-user accessible battery yet still allow for all day vaping with a new battery pack as needed. It would also negate the issue of an internal battery eventually being unable to hold a charge if replacements were available.

• Agree
Reactions: Rossum

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
True, but if you run the battery down, it would be a great convenience to swap some sort of pack just as we now can swap batteries. That would be a far more palatable solution to being stuck with non-user accessible battery yet still allow for all day vaping with a new battery pack as needed. It would also negate the issue of an internal battery eventually being unable to hold a charge if replacements were available.
I really doubt that all the mod manufacturers can get together to use the same standards. I'm not convinced China realizes they are about to lose a large part of their market to the USA's regulations.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread