Metal and Silicate Particles Including Nanoparticles Are Present in Electronic Cigarette Cartomizer Fluid and Aerosol

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsonlysmellz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
La Jolla, CA
So here's some pics of a 3 month old carto that I used daily. This was one of my first, so naturally i didn't always keep it moist. here's the tear down:

broke off the 510 thread to access the solder points:
image-12.jpeg

taken apart:
image-13.jpeg

solder joint:
image-14.jpeg

unraveled:
image-15.jpeg

image-16.jpeg

I don't know what they did to get that kind of a burn in that study, but clearly these cartos are meant to be disposable. I stopped using this one because I realized it wasn't wicking well anymore, and the vapor coming out was not as smooth. ejuice used was PG Hype (I can smell it, so I know).

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I prefer to measure cartos' lifespan in mls of juice, it's much more accurate, as our vaping habits vary, especially when one has several cartos in rotation.

I vape very thin, clear and clean juices, and I always feel that the carto's performance begins to seriuosly diminish after 8-10 ml. Tanks extend cartos' lifespan by 50-100%, generally. But that's just me, of course. YMMV!

itsonlysmellz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
La Jolla, CA
I prefer to measure cartos' lifespan in mls of juice, it's much more accurate, as our vaping habits vary, especially when one has several cartos in rotation.

I vape very thin, clear and clean juices, and I always feel that the carto's performance begins to seriuosly diminish after 8-10 ml. Tanks extend cartos' lifespan by 50-100%, generally. But that's just me, of course. YMMV!
Good idea! i'll keep this in mind

itsonlysmellz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
La Jolla, CA
So, can you estimate how many mils went through that Boge? Or is it impossible at this time?

I'm seriously impressed by your achievement! :toast:

No clue Katty cakes, at least 15 ml because all that went in was PG Hype, and I had a 30 ml of that and I remember it being half gone before I stopped using that carto

Paulette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Florida

I so agree with you Katya! I have friends who vape like 8-9ml a day; which I only do about 3-4ml; so measuring an atty for how much juice is a much better gauge!

Rapture

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Bay Area California
i think your fine as along as your not vaping a burning cartomizer all day long every day. I Think the very small trace amounts of metals found are just simple fromm the presence of these metals in a cartomizer, not the burning. The heating coil is made form chromium, nickel, and i think aluminum. The same coils are used in heaters, hair dryers, and toasters ect. the solders and other wires are probably made form the rest of the metals found in trace amounts. I wouldnt be concerned since we use metals in everything in life. fireplaces, ovens, stoves, we cook with metal on a daily basis, we eat with metal utencils. braces for your teeth are made from metal probably containing chromium because of its corrosion resistance. The presence of these metals are not unusual in everyday life. Some are essential for your body in small amounts.

The only concern I have from metals is chromium 6. They did not specify what type of chromium. But i can imagine chromium 6 would not be produced from heating up a kanthal wire coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread