Not open for further replies.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
REO's Mods | Home of the REO PV

A serving of crow with a side of tasty vape cooked up personally by Redeyedancer.

It's an easy trap to fall into if you've been around the block a few times, thinking that you know it all. I've heard the term sophomore (a student in their second year of studies in a four year program) described as meaning a 'wise fool'.

I'm feeling a bit sophomoric in writing this review now. I have flatly stated before that the 18650 is the only 3.7v battery worth using, that I'm not a fan of the 510 on 3rd gen mods, and that I vastly prefer gravity or air pressure juice feeding to bottle fed delivery systems. Period. Finito. End o' story.

My prejudices and presumptions got knocked on their :censored: the other day when I visited my friend Sterno, and looked over his silver (polished aluminum) Mini Reo. Gorgeous, well made aluminum box mod using a 14500 battery and a LR510 atty hooked up to a 2 or 3 ml bottle. Imagine my surprise that his pretty little box was also a great vape, especially after removing the bridge and wick from his atty. I would have sworn I was vaping at high voltage with great taste and throat hit to boot. I was further shocked to learn that a single 14500 would last him the entire day, and that the mod needed next to no bottle squeezing when using PG, 'twas almost self juicing. Sterno grinned (Is 'smugged' a word?) every time I put down my AVS and picked up his Mini, which was a lot.

I had to struggle with mental confusion and cognitive dissonance to realize the fact that I mod whose components I almost despised individually created such a superior vape. My only explanation is that Redeyedancer, in making all of his wooden Reos, must have chopped down the Keebler Elf Tree and forced its inhabitants to use their powers to make mods instead of buttery cookies and crackers against their will. (Scoff if you will, but it also explains why you haven't seen them lately on television.)

By the way, there's no potential conflict of interest in this review: after trying Sterno's Mini I contacted Redeyedancer and paid the full asking price for the model the Reonauts call the 'yellowjacket' (golden body with a black door and button). THAT'S how impressed I was.

The Mini has a aluminum body measuring by by and a sliding aluminum door held in place by a magnet granting access to the battery and bottle. It can be finely polished as was Sterno's, or anodized in a variety of colors. The reo comes with the mod itself, a LR510 atomizer, black drip tip, 510 to 901/KR 808D-1 adapter, bottle and a PG reducer tube, , recommended by Redeyedancer for people getting flooding with thin juices for roughly $131.00 including shipping. 14500 batteries and charger, and juice must be purchased separately. The atty and tip sticks out of the top of the mod about an inch and a half.

Again, I struggle to adequately explain how sterling this mod looks and works. This mod looks professionally designed and made, unlike plastic or wooden boxes or machined tubes. This should be literally sold at a jewelry counter.

Other nifty features of the device include:

A locking vape button. Turn the button clockwise ¼ turn to turn it off so as to prevent accidental firings. Not sure if it is needed to be honest, but it’s a nice touch.

You can drop juice in the recessed atomizer housing to quickly vape a second flavor. Inhaling sucks the juice out of the housing into the atty. Pressing the bottle for two hard or too long will also cause the excess to collect there until the atty is ready to use it. Besides containing leaks, this feature should make the mod harder to flood than other bottle fed 3rd gen vapes. Another nice thing about this combo is that it has a high juice efficiency rating the tiny 3ml bottle seems to last my chain vaping :censored: all day.

It appears to be almost maintenance free, and consists solely of cleaning and noaloxing tip of switch/positive battery connection and polishing ‘bare’ metal versions. There doesn’t really appear to be anything else to go wrong with it.

Finally, the mini has the ability to use a 901/kr808d1 with included adapter.

This is an initial review, and I’m just :censored: impressed. Really. Small, attractive package, dependability with a minimum of fuss, and a great frakkin’ vape to boot. Redeyedancer may have just proved me wrong on my long held vaping assumptions, and royally screwed over all the other modders in the process by raising the bar so high.

The only niggles I have about the mod, minor at that, are a) it could probably use another magnet to more securely hold the door in place, and b) I do have to carry at least one spare 14500 battery.

These are my initial impressions of the device, and I’ll come back in a month or so and let everyone know how it handled some extended (ab)use. Photo on 2010-10-16 at 14.30 #2.jpg Photo on 2010-10-16 at 14.30 #3.jpg Photo on 2010-10-16 at 14.30 #4.jpg Photo on 2010-10-16 at 14.30.jpg

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
One thing I didn't mention is that a complete vaping novice ordered the Mini as her first e-cig and is loving the experience. For those who have read my reviews/blogs before, she has been mentioned as the older lady who gives me the ":censored: off Mama in church look" when I vape loud mods around her in public.

I'm astounded that someone brand new to vaping can handle this little gem so well.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
It's the ultimate on the go juicebox.

My only issue (after getting used to the button) is the magnet securing the door is not strong enough. Door tends to slide off when I pull it out of my pocket.

and don't knock wooden juicers until you see the Feedimus.

Been out of the game for a bit, what's the Feedimus? Agree with the need for a second or stronger magnet, though that's somewhere between a quibble and a niggle. What's the issue with the button?

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
I use them in my eGos and PT mostly for dripping new flavors. For me, they don't seem to work that well on the bottom feeders as it seems you have to refresh more often. YMMV

From not having the wick there to trap juice, I guess. Besides the original and three new backups surgically debridged by sterno, I've got five others coming in this morning. Sale by vaporkings on 'em. Also have a gold drip tip due to arrive for added bling.

Bridgeless proponents swear they get better vape and longer life from not having the wick around to carbonize and gum up, and having better access to the coils for cleaning. (Sterno swears he gets at least a month out of every atty that has survived the procedure.)

May have to see how much life and ease of vape I get out of the original, then compare and contrast with a unaltered one. I suspect the prudent course of action would be to get as much use out of the original configuration as I can, and then remove the bridge and wick and attempt to revive them.

Redeyedancer strongly suggests the ultrafire protected 3.6v 14500's. (OTOH, it looks like ECF is going Tehran all over suppliers who suggest vaping with unprotected; I suspect a public online stoning of the first modder they catch.) He prefers this even to the imr high drain 14500's which are also supposed to be reasonably safe. Has anyone tried anything different?

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Sorry to be so full of questions and all, but please bear with me; I'm a fairly new mininaut.

I seem to be noticing fairly more self juicing action when the bottom is full to half full, and more of the bottle squeezing hit and miss when it goes below that point. Realizing that the viscosity of the juice may have something to do with this, has anyone else noticed it?

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Reducer tube activated.

Switched to a new bottle of vapor renu flue cured custom mix (55% PG / 35% VG / 10% Flavor Enhancer). Lot of trouble getting consistent hit, and I was wondering if my sternoized atty was malfunctioning. Remembered a trick I learned from the carlos juice box, which was to loosen the bottle, insert the feed tube to the mouth of the bottle, and blow. A fair amount of liquid came out, and the mini vaped great on the bottleless inhale. (In other words, the juice was causing the atty to flood.) Debating on whether or not to go home or go to the nearest drug store for some VG, I decided to try the reducing tube supplied by redeyedancer for thinner juices, and that seems to have mostly alleviated the problem. Incredibly simple and intuitive solution to this potentially vexing problem. I'm not sure if I'll doctor my mix up with a little VG when I go home, it's vaping pretty effing great in this configuration. But a good idea would be to stow the reducing tube inside the mod itself behind the battery in case it's needed.

Sterno also discovered that a great parts case for the mini is a cheap plastic containter desisgned to carry 4 AA batteries: three spare 14500's and an extra bottle of juice can be stowed easily. Don't leave home without it!

Lazerrred

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2010
Flo SC, USA
Yes it does look spiffy sportin the gold DT. lol, I have the exact opposite, sportin the same. :)

IMG_0503.jpg

Oh, and about the door sliding off, in a post above I mentioned I massaged the side of the door in two places to "dimple" the aluminum. It create more friction in the machined groove and holds the door pretty firmly. Only possible down side I see is it will wear on the anodizing. And that is a none issue unless you leave it in a salt water environment and never open the door.(not likely) It would corrode shut.:facepalm:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Yes it does look spiffy sportin the gold DT. lol, I have the exact opposite, sportin the same. :)

IMG_0503.jpg

Oh, and about the door sliding off, in a post above I mentioned I massaged the side of the door in two places to "dimple" the aluminum. It create more friction in the machined groove and holds the door pretty firmly. Only possible down side I see is it will wear on the anodizing. And that is a none issue unless you leave it in a salt water environment and never open the door.(not likely) It would corrode shut.:facepalm:

Wow it's my mod from the mirror universe! It's even wearing a goatee!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread