Mod Recommendations Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I looked online for batteries and there seems to be different kinds of 18650? I guess some are flat? Do different mods use different ones?

Quite correct. 18650s aren't like AAs where all batteries are essentially the same.

There are flat top and button top batteries. The vast majority of current mods use flat top batteries, largely because the majority of batteries are flat tops.

Then there's the battery rating. The most important value is the CDR (continuous discharge rating). It tells you how much current (amps) you can draw from a battery relatively safely. Your CDR requirements depend on the wattage you vape at. For example, to vape at 60 w on one battery you need a 20 amp CDR, but that's just the minimum and it wouldn't necessarily work as well as it might. You'd usually be better off with a 25 amp CDR. On the other hand, if you're vaping at 60 w on a two-battery mod, a pair of 15 - 20 amp CDR batteries will suit you nicely.

Warning - a lot of the batteries you'll see online and in vape shops lie about their CDRs. Some also list a "Pulse rating", which is utterly useless. It's best to stick with batteries from the main manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Sony/Murata, Sanyo/Panasonic and also Molicel now). Mooch, our local battery guru, also tests cells to verify that they perform well at their CDR. I'll link to his recommendations below.

The next number that matters is the capacity, usually given in mAh. If you've picked a battery with a suitable CDR, the mAh will give you a rough indication of how long it will last between charges.

Mooch's latest recommendations for vaping batteries can be found here. Assuming you get a two-battery mod, you'll want 18650s with a CDR of 15 or higher. You'll notice that the list of high capacity batteries includes some with a CDR of 10 - those are great for people like me who vape at 10 watts or so, but won't do for you.

The blue row in the chart lists battery vendors that have good reputations and have been found reliable. I strongly recommend sticking to them because they really reduce your risk of winding up with a counterfeit battery.

Now, how about some specific recommendations (assuming again that you're using a two battery mod and vaping at around 60 w)? For batteries, take a look at:
  • Samsung 30Q
  • LG HG2
  • Sony VTC 6
These batteries have 15 - 20 amp CDRs and a capacity of 3000 mAh, which is as high as you can get with a suitable CDR.

Good places to find them, depending on where you are, include:

• 18650.uk
  • 18650batterystore.com
  • akkuteile.de
  • batterybro.com
  • ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk
  • fogstar.co.uk
  • illumn.com
  • imrbatteries.com
  • liionwholesale.com
  • orbtronic.com
  • rtdvapor.com

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    So, I need to
    pick a mod.
    pick a tank that works best for dl and works for the mod
    get extra batteries that work for that mod.
    get an external battery charger that works for those batteries.

Sheesh, this is a lot. Haha!
    Im likely to get great parts, none of which work together..

0.2 ohm at 60w

=======================

I know how confusing it can be when you leave the vape world for a year or 2 - it gets overwhelming.

I want to try to simplify this for you or at least make it more organized.

Mod - you need a mod that fires down to 0.2 ohms and up to 60W. So overshoot those #s when looking for a mod.

Forget squonker mods - Why? While they can be used as a regular mod, I have squonkers I bought to use as regular mods just because I got them at clearance prices. BUT my tanks won't fire on them because the 510 pin on the mod sits a little lower than on a regular mod. This is no big deal for me as I have parts I need to make them work, but that gets more complicated for you than it needs to be. Just forget the squonkers if you are not a sqonker/dripper. (If you are using tanks, then you're not a squonker). Even if the description of a mod doesn't say "squonk"m you know a mod is a squonker if it has a hole in the body with a little bottle on the other side of that hole. Like this...

WieNQUy.png

Tank - if the tank(s) you use now are working for you, there is no need to buy a tank!!! :)

Your current tank(s) are 510 threaded so they will fit/work on any mod you buy as they are all going to be 510 threaded, too.

If the mod you buy is a kit with a tank, well whatever, you don't have to use that tank. Sometimes you get better deals on kits and sometimes you can't find the mod you want as just a mod. Doesn't matter.

If you have tanks you like, just use those.

Batteries - (assuming you go with an 18650 mod) I'm not going to give you recommendations on specific batteries to buy, that will be for someone else to help you with. I'm a low wattage vaper so I can't recommend batteries to a 60W vaper.

However, if you look at the following page, you will get an idea of what batteries are probably best for you. They are filtered out to only show batteries that have a 30 Amp rating or higher...

30+ Amp Flat-top 18650 Batteries

I hope someone here can chime in on what batteries on that page may be a good choice for you to help keep it simple for you. However, I think, from what I have read, the Molicell may be a good choice and highly recommended.

You don't have to buy them there, I'm just posting that link to help you get a feel for what you may be buying and to keep it simple.​

Chargers - well, any charger that charges 18650s will do, really. I mean, not some $5 no-name charger!

Pretty much anything on the following link will be fine as a start at the very least...

18650 Chargers sorted from low price to high price.

Again, You don't have to buy them there, I'm just posting that link to help you get a feel for what you may be buying and to keep it simple.

Don't buy a single battery charger. Go with at least a 2 battery charger. However if you're gonna buy a mod that takes 2 batteries, then a 4 battery charger (or more) may be best, but not necessary.​

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    IDK the fa
    Sheesh, this is a lot. Haha!
    Im likely to get great parts, none of which work together...

It will be fine just go slow. Buy from a reputable vendor and visit Mooch's or Baditude's blog for help (you don't have tor read all of it, just enough to find the batteries you need) (18) Baditude's Blogs | E-Cigarette Forum

The parts will fit together everything is pretty much standardized to a 510 connection these days..

Anan

StephLK

ECF Veteran
    Jun 11, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Quite correct. 18650s aren't like AAs where all batteries are essentially the same.

There are flat top and button top batteries. The vast majority of current mods use flat top batteries, largely because the majority of batteries are flat tops.

Then there's the battery rating. The most important value is the CDR (continuous discharge rating). It tells you how much current (amps) you can draw from a battery relatively safely. Your CDR requirements depend on the wattage you vape at. For example, to vape at 60 w on one battery you need a 20 amp CDR, but that's just the minimum and it wouldn't necessarily work as well as it might. You'd usually be better off with a 25 amp CDR. On the other hand, if you're vaping at 60 w on a two-battery mod, a pair of 15 - 20 amp CDR batteries will suit you nicely.

Warning - a lot of the batteries you'll see online and in vape shops lie about their CDRs. Some also list a "Pulse rating", which is utterly useless. It's best to stick with batteries from the main manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Sony/Murata, Sanyo/Panasonic and also Molicel now). Mooch, our local battery guru, also tests cells to verify that they perform well at their CDR. I'll link to his recommendations below.

The next number that matters is the capacity, usually given in mAh. If you've picked a battery with a suitable CDR, the mAh will give you a rough indication of how long it will last between charges.

Mooch's latest recommendations for vaping batteries can be found here. Assuming you get a two-battery mod, you'll want 18650s with a CDR of 15 or higher. You'll notice that the list of high capacity batteries includes some with a CDR of 10 - those are great for people like me who vape at 10 watts or so, but won't do for you.

The blue row in the chart lists battery vendors that have good reputations and have been found reliable. I strongly recommend sticking to them because they really reduce your risk of winding up with a counterfeit battery.

Now, how about some specific recommendations (assuming again that you're using a two battery mod and vaping at around 60 w)? For batteries, take a look at:
    • Samsung 30Q
    • LG HG2
    • Sony VTC 6
    These batteries have 15 - 20 amp CDRs and a capacity of 3000 mAh, which is as high as you can get with a suitable CDR.

Good places to find them, depending on where you are, include:

• 18650.uk
    • 18650batterystore.com
    • akkuteile.de
    • batterybro.com
    • ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk
    • fogstar.co.uk
    • illumn.com
    • imrbatteries.com
    • liionwholesale.com
    • orbtronic.com
    • rtdvapor.com
    Thank you! Great info

Reactions: stols001

StephLK

ECF Veteran
    Jun 11, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    =======================

I know how confusing it can be when you leave the vape world for a year or 2 - it gets overwhelming.

I want to try to simplify this for you or at least make it more organized.

Mod - you need a mod that fires down to 0.2 ohms and up to 60W. So overshoot those #s when looking for a mod.

Forget squonker mods - Why? While they can be used as a regular mod, I have squonkers I bought to use as regular mods just because I got them at clearance prices. BUT my tanks won't fire on them because the 510 pin on the mod sits a little lower than on a regular mod. This is no big deal for me as I have parts I need to make them work, but that gets more complicated for you than it needs to be. Just forget the squonkers if you are not a sqonker/dripper. (If you are using tanks, then you're not a squonker). Even if the description of a mod doesn't say "squonk"m you know a mod is a squonker if it has a hole in the body with a little bottle on the other side of that hole. Like this...

WieNQUy.png

Tank - if the tank(s) you use now are working for you, there is no need to buy a tank!!! :)

Your current tank(s) are 510 threaded so they will fit/work on any mod you buy as they are all going to be 510 threaded, too.

If the mod you buy is a kit with a tank, well whatever, you don't have to use that tank. Sometimes you get better deals on kits and sometimes you can't find the mod you want as just a mod. Doesn't matter.

If you have tanks you like, just use those.

Batteries - (assuming you go with an 18650 mod) I'm not going to give you recommendations on specific batteries to buy, that will be for someone else to help you with. I'm a low wattage vaper so I can't recommend batteries to a 60W vaper.

However, if you look at the following page, you will get an idea of what batteries are probably best for you. They are filtered out to only show batteries that have a 30 Amp rating or higher...

30+ Amp Flat-top 18650 Batteries

I hope someone here can chime in on what batteries on that page may be a good choice for you to help keep it simple for you. However, I think, from what I have read, the Molicell may be a good choice and highly recommended.

You don't have to buy them there, I'm just posting that link to help you get a feel for what you may be buying and to keep it simple.​

Chargers - well, any charger that charges 18650s will do, really. I mean, not some $5 no-name charger!

Pretty much anything on the following link will be fine as a start at the very least...

18650 Chargers sorted from low price to high price.

Again, You don't have to buy them there, I'm just posting that link to help you get a feel for what you may be buying and to keep it simple.

Don't buy a single battery charger. Go with at least a 2 battery charger. However if you're gonna buy a mod that takes 2 batteries, then a 4 battery charger (or more) may be best, but not necessary.​
    Thank you! That does simplify things.
    I just need to pick a 2 battery mod, buy batteries and a charger from the same place (with listed specifications) and use a tank I already have.
    This is getting easier to wrap my head around.

Last edited:

CaveFurby

ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    StephLK, do you watch YouTube much? That's a great place to watch tutorial videos on vaping and gear. Especially if you don't know any other vapers. Every type of mod or atomizer usually has several review videos already up, good place to get a rough idea about a piece of gear. But you came to the right place, ECF is one of the best resources and you can always search for topics here. So, how did you get into vaping? Tell us a little about your vape experience.

• Agree

StephLK

ECF Veteran
    Jun 11, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    StephLK, do you watch YouTube much? That's a great place to watch tutorial videos on vaping and gear. Especially if you don't know any other vapers. Every type of mod or atomizer usually has several review videos already up, good place to get a rough idea about a piece of gear. But you came to the right place, ECF is one of the best resources and you can always search for topics here. So, how did you get into vaping? Tell us a little about your vape experience.
    I don't do much on YouTube, but I'll check out some reviews.

Back in 2008 I went to buy a carton of my Marlboro Milds. Found out the price had tipped to over $50.

So I started looking for other options. Took chantex for several months, but had a very negative reaction, so had to stop. And I started smoking again.

Few months later found awesome vapor online. Did the cigarette like vaporizer for a few years, then egos for several more with much higher nic juice than I use now.

Awesome Vapor was great about answering questions and helping out. Not sure what happened to them.

I used to have a Madvapes near me and they suggested the wisemec/ JayBo about 5 or so years ago when I was ready to upgrade from rotating through a bunch of egos every day.

That stopped holding a charge well about a year ago. It's a good one though. Still my back up when the new thing I have fails or breaks.

I'm really liking the idea of upgrading to a mod for 2 external batteries. The vaping industry has grown and there's so many more choices to make now!

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I'm really liking the idea of upgrading to a mod for 2 external batteries. The vaping industry has grown and there's so many more choices to make now!

Of all the options you've listed, I'd pick the Geekvape Aegis X 200w. It's a nice, sturdy, 2-battery mod. Despite your unfortunate experience with the mini, Geekvape has a better reputation for reliability than most of the other manufacturers that have come up in this thread (Asmodus was mentioned somewhere and it's the exception).

SMOK is not the best choice. It's heavily promoted but its quality control is poor to non-existent.

As others have said, squonking is a different thing and doesn't seem to be what you're looking for at the moment, so you can cross out any squonk mods for now.

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
    Feb 27, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    For a good mod I suggest a GeekVape Aegis Legend 200W Mod. I vape at 25 to 45 watts so really do not need a dual 18650 mod but want longer battery life. They a bigger than what you are used to but they really, at least for me, comfortable in my hand. I like that they are IP6 water proof etc. In power mode it performs great. Remember to update firmware as there were issues with earlier versions. At your current watt settings the dual batteries should last you over a day easily and if you decide you want to try sub-ohm, those needing to go much higher than where you are at now you have a mod that can do it. What you like today can change and not be available after May. Any warranty offered by a seller/site will be worthless if they go out of business after May which is likely so you will have to deal with the manufacturer directly. Our only possible option after May is buying directly from China and customs could take them. I am not taking that chance. I stocked up on 4 of these mods.

GeekVape Aegis Legend 200W Mod

$39.95

The smallest dual 18650 mod I have is the V-Jet mod. It is light and works well but not as durable as the Legend. I got it as a kit for $9.99 on clearance at KangerwholesaleUSA.com. I could not say no to the price, especially since tank was included. Whatever you decide to buy think about what your future needs may be.

I would also look into buying a RTA - Tank where you make your own coils along with extra glass and o-rings. Yes this is more work and will take time to learn but you will never have to buy any drop-in coils that likely won't be available after May in the US anyway. You also get the benefit of being able to change your wick when taste is not as good. What I am currently using and loving is a dual coil RTA Digiflavor Fuji with velocity deck which makes mounting coils easy and allows for larger wire but have a learning curve on wicking setup and can not get extra glass and o-rings since they came out in 2016. I am sure others here can suggest newer options that have glass and o-rings available. IF you can find a Kangertech sub tank mini, you want the subtank, not the toptank as Kanger changed the build deck, the build deck it is easy to work with and I am very well stocked with tanks, glass and o-rings all bought on clearance.

Last edited:

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    The Vaporesso GEN mod (just the mod alone, not the "Kit" that comes with a tank) is a very worthwile alternative choice to the Aegis Legend because, although not waterproof, the GEN is still also highly durable, it also works great in power mode, and it is much more lightweight in comparison, and more comfortable to hold due to meterials choice also. I don't vape on a regulated mod anymore, but for me the Aegis Legend looks too boisterous, or "overdone", and in fact it looks almost like a toy.

• Agree

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    buy batteries and a charger from the same place

Nope, you don't have to buy your batteries and your charger at the same place.

I'm really liking the idea of upgrading to a mod for 2 external batteries.

Hate to add more info in the mix, but this may be important. Maybe someone can chime in here to confirm if it is still true for today's mods (but I'm pretty sure it is)...

When you use a dual battery mod, you have to "marry" your batteries. This means 2 things (at minimum)...

1. You need to put the same 2 batteries in your mod every time. So this means you have to label your batteries in such a way so you always know which 2 batteries need to be used together.

2. Every time you put those batteries in a your mod, they should be rotated. This may not be 100% necessary but it's good to make an effort to try to do this for the most part.

Example:
    • You have 2 "married" batteries, one labeled A1 the other labeled A2.
    • You put A1 batt on the left side of the mod and A2 batt on the right.
    • You vape with those batts then you eventually have to take them out to charge them (obviously)
    • Then next time you use those 2 batteries in your mod, A2 should go on the left side this time and A1 goes on the right side.
    • and so on
    I hope someone can chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't do much on YouTube, but I'll check out some reviews.

For sure. Youtube is a great site to use to get an up-close look of any vape gear you're thinking about purchasing. These vape reviewers usually give you a full run-down of a mod and how to use it.

They will also point out flaws (well, sometimes). However, this isn't always useful since that flaw may not exist in the production models. Sometimes these reviewers will get "pre-production" models where kinks haven't been ironed out yet. But you can research other reviews and the forums to see if in fact those flaws are actually a problem people actual users experiencing.

Last bit of shopping advice

Fasttech is a great place to use as a reference site to get info on vape products. They give more information in their specs than just about any other vape retailer and they usually have many pics at many different angles.

In your case, since you want a smaller mod, Fasttech always has size/dimension specifications so you can know just how big (or how small) a mod is. This isn't always clear just by looking at pictures.

Example (note how you can switch between US and Metric):

1aek15S.png

Fasttech is a Chinese retailer and I don't recommend buying from Chinese retailers right now due to the problems China's having at the moment. But it's a great site for shopping and reference.

Reactions: Hawise

StephLK

ECF Veteran
    Jun 11, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    For batteries, take a look at:
    • Samsung 30Q
    • LG HG2
    • Sony VTC 6

I'm in North Carolina and found that the best prices for my location were at the battery store. I've decided to get a pair of each of the batteries you recommended, that way I have pairs in 3 different colors and it'll be easier to keep them together.

Is this a good charger choice?
    Efest LUSH Q4 4 Bay Battery Charger - 18650 Battery Store

Thank you!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread