Mod Recommendations Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephLK

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Recommendations Please!

I loved this mod, but after 4 years needed to retire it due to shortened battery life.
Wismec/jaybo RX mini
Reuleaux RXmini Kit

Bought this one next from vape Wild and really enjoyed it, but after 3 months it completely stopped charging and wouldn't turn on. Never got wet and never dropped. Just very poorly made. That was money thrown away.
Geek Vape Aegis Mini
Geekvape Aegis Mini 80W Starter Kit

Got this one next, and it's been great, but the charging port has broken. Vapor DNA was great and they're sending a full refund.
VAPORESSO LUXE NANO 80W TC
Vaporesso LUXE NANO 80W TC Starter Kit – VaporDNA

So, now I need something new and am looking for advice for what to get. I really like the "mini" mods, but a long lasting battery and durability is very important too.

I would really appreciate suggestions.

Thank you!

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
If it were me, I would be buying a mod that has a replaceable battery so that when the battery goes bad, you don't lose the entire mod. My immediate thought goes to the Aegis Solo, but since you had a bad experience with the Aegis Mini, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to go that route. The Solo is virtually the same size as the Mini, just a tad longer. Maybe an iStick Pico might work for you, I've had good luck with those, and they're nice and compact as well.

That being said, I own three Aegis Minis, and have for the last year and a half or so. They are my daily carriers, go everywhere with me topped with Berserkers. I've had no issues with them whatsoever, and they have been dropped in water among other things. I really like them because they are waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof, and they are the reason I stocked up on Aegis Solos for the upcoming Vapocalypse.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
OK they are now seen as Old Hat, and they don't have a lot of style nor bragging rights but if you like internal batteries and don't need power over 30 watts then the iStick 30w is still worth consideration.

They happily run Nauti Minis, Zeniths/Zlides and Drippers and my oldest one ( the black one ) is well dinged, the chrome is yellowing and the black's fading to dark grey but it's four and a half years old, has travelled with me all over Europe, has been charged in houses, the car and in many continental bars via its cord and it still delivers day after day.

I've always been careful with the charging ports though.

Paraphrasing the old Timex advert - "They've took a licking but are still ticking!"

1.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I agree with Falconeer. You can't beat an iStick 30W, 40W, or 75W. Sometimes, you can find them for as low as $19.99 and for a MTL vaper they are a great deal. I like the 75w model because the battery is user replaceable, but all are good for pocket carry.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
When you get something with a replaceable battery, which you should, get an external charger. They charge better than a typical mod’s charging circuit, especially if it’s a multi-battery mod, but also prevent wear and tear on the usb plug on the mod. Those are notoriously known to fail with regular use. Obviously with a built in battery you have no choice, but with a replaceable that’s another point of failure you can avoid.

StephLK

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Thank you all so much for the advice!
I really want to buy from VaporDNA. They had awesome service last time I purchased from them and they offer an extended warranty for a low price. Being able to depend on that warranty is great security!

I like the idea of going with external batteries. I'll have to read through everything to figure out which ones to get and what charger to get, but it sounds like a step up from what I'm doing now. I doubt the charging port of my current Vapresso would have broken without me vaping while it was plugged in.

Unfortunately, many of the suggestions are out of stock.
They do have these two from GeekVape (which I am willing to try again since there is the warranty):
GeekVape Aegis X 200W Starter Kit and Box Mod | Mesh Sub-Ohm Tank – VaporDNA
GeekVape Aegis Squonk 100W Starter Kit | RDA Kit, Modular Device – VaporDNA

They also have these in stock. Anyone have any experience with them?
SMOK G PRIV 3 230W TC and TFV16 Lite Tank Kit | Vape Starter Kit – VaporDNA
VooPoo DRAG 2 177W | Vaping Devices – VaporDNA
Rincoe Mechman 228W Starter Kit and Mod | Mesh Starter Kit – VaporDNA
Wismec Luxotic Surface BF Kit and Mod | Squonk Mod – VaporDNA
VooPoo Alpha ZIP 180W TC Starter Kit | Vape Kits – VaporDNA

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
They also have these in stock.
These are all fine mods provided they fit your atomizer and personal requirements.
Could ask about VooPoo in:
Voopoo
For general questions regarding other mod manufacturers, might want to try the search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Google and You Tube can be also great informational sources. Could type in "Smok G priv 3 problems".

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thank you all so much for the advice!
I really want to buy from VaporDNA. They had awesome service last time I purchased from them and they offer an extended warranty for a low price. Being able to depend on that warranty is great security!

I like the idea of going with external batteries. I'll have to read through everything to figure out which ones to get and what charger to get, but it sounds like a step up from what I'm doing now. I doubt the charging port of my current Vapresso would have broken without me vaping while it was plugged in.

Unfortunately, many of the suggestions are out of stock.
They do have these two from GeekVape (which I am willing to try again since there is the warranty):
GeekVape Aegis Squonk 100W Starter Kit | RDA Kit, Modular Device – VaporDNA

They also have these in stock. Anyone have any experience with them?
SMOK G PRIV 3 230W TC and TFV16 Lite Tank Kit | Vape Starter Kit – VaporDNA
Wismec Luxotic Surface BF Kit and Mod | Squonk Mod – VaporDNA

I would strike anything Smok off your list. Really, if you’re concerned about failure rates that stuff sets the standard for how quickly can a mod break.

You’re also mixing regular mod and tank systems with squonk systems. I love squonks, but you should read up on them in the Liquid APV section here so you have a better idea what you’re getting into.

StephLK

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the information. I honestly don't know what sqonk is...I just thought or was a product name. Haha

I've never had external batteries before, so I think is rather go with a familiar tank. Try one new thing at a time. I did egos for over 5 years and pens before that. I don't change often.

I wish Vapor DNA had more in stock or I knew of another company that offered the $14 two year warranty.

I'm worried I'll pick something, and get the wrong battery/ charger to go with it.

So, based on your advice, I'll looking at these, right?

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Thanks for the information. I honestly don't know what sqonk is...I just thought or was a product name. Haha

I've never had external batteries before, so I think is rather go with a familiar tank. Try one new thing at a time. I did egos for over 5 years and pens before that. I don't change often.

I wish Vapor DNA had more in stock or I knew of another company that offered the $14 two year warranty.

I'm worried I'll pick something, and get the wrong battery/ charger to go with it.

So, based on your advice, I'll looking at these, right?

It's very probable the 2 year warranty will be useless after may 2020 anyway.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Don't do a kit,. Are you a MTL vaper? Then much of what you have listed may be useless to you.

I would get an Ages solo if you don't want a ton of power. Durable and light.

As far as tanks, if you want a MTL drop in tank I would probably get a Zenith to go on top.

But kits are often not going to give you what you want. You will like the mod, hate the tank or vice versa etc.

Anna

StephLK

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Anna. I've always gotten kits so I don't have to think of everything I need to buy, but what you say makes sense, as long as everything I choose works together.

I've been vaping over a decade (quit smoking in 09), but never have learned much about it. What is MTL?

I've been good with the power of my previous minis, and I don't know that I'd mind more power. Definitely wouldn't want to go with less.

Unfortunately Vapor DNA is out of stock for solos and I'd really like to take advantage of their warranty, especially if trying another geek vape product, since the first geek vape product I tried died in 3 months.

I do need to make a decision soon and don't have time to wait to see if it comes back in stock. Im using my very old jaybo now. It doesn't hold a charge much anymore, but it was good while it lasted!

• Optimistic

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
I do need to make a decision soon and don't have time to wait to see if it comes back in stock. Im using my very old jaybo now. It doesn't hold a charge much anymore, but it was good while it lasted!

What wattage do you vape at and on what resistance coils?

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
I’m gonna have to assume that at .2 and 80w, you’re vaping DL (direct lung) so I’ll let someone else help you with a tank recommendation. I’m exclusively MTL (mouth to lung), so I’m pretty much doing the opposite of you in that regard. I feel that my mod recommendations hold true though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread