Mod Recommendations Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm in North Carolina and found that the best prices for my location were at the battery store. I've decided to get a pair of each of the batteries you recommended, that way I have pairs in 3 different colors and it'll be easier to keep them together.

Is this a good charger choice?
Efest LUSH Q4 4 Bay Battery Charger - 18650 Battery Store

Thank you!

Personally, I like a charger that can charge 4 cells at 1A simultaneously. The Lush Q4 specs state that it can only charge 4 cells at .5 amp. The Lush can only charge one 18650 at 2A. If you think you'd want faster charging when all four bays are full, you might want to take a look at the Efest LUC 4 charger. LUC 4 charges all 4 bays at 1A. It's a charger with long background and might be a better choice.

Product Highlights: (Lush 4)
  • 4 Bay Compact Charger
  • Multiple charging speeds - .5A x 4, 1A x 2, or 2A x 1
  • LED charging indicators
  • Automatically turns off when charging is complete
  • Reverse polarity protection protects if cell is entered in the wrong way
Before you buy, take a look at the specs on this one. It's $10 more, but will save you lots of time when charging.
Efest LUC V4 4 Bay LCD Battery Charger - 18650 Battery Store

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Personally, I like a charger that can charge 4 cells at 1A simultaneously. The Lush Q4 specs state that it can only charge 4 cells at .5 amp. The Lush can only charge one 18650 at 2A. If you think you'd want faster charging when all four bays are full, you might want to take a look at the Efest LUC 4 charger. LUC 4 charges all 4 bays at 2A. It's a charger with long background and might be a better choice.

Product Highlights: (Lush 4)
  • 4 Bay Compact Charger
Before you buy, take a look at the specs on this one. It's $10 more, but will save you lots of time when charging.
THE LUC V4 is a decent charger as long as you don't need to charge 2x700 batteries. It will charge 4 batteries at 1amp BUT it only charges 2 batteries at 2amps.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Been using the LUC 4 for about 6 years now. The only problem I have had with it is that sometimes the LED screen gets a bit messed up on the 3rd slot, but 6 years is kinda old and should probably be replaced anyhow. This started happening at about the 4 year mark. It doesn't seem to affect the charging, it's more of an annoyance.

I can't complain about the LUC 4 much other than that (but I'm not a battery or charger expert by any means).

I also have a LUC 2. No problems with it. But I don't use it that much.

If your primary goal is to save money and you don't care about not being able to charge 21700 or 20700 batts right now or charging 4x @1A, then the Lush charger should be OK (but I have no real idea since I never owned one).

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    A lot of vapers these days seem to like the XTAR chargers. I don't know if that's merely due to hype or what. But I do know a lot of vapers flock to the XTAR VC4 (probably partly due to it's price point and partly for the flashy tachometer style display lol).

Same price as the Lush but still only charges 2 batts at 1A.

However The XTAR VC4 does take 21700 and 20700 batts.

So for the money, the LUC 4 wins in terms of being able to charge 4x @ 1A for only $25.

But if 4x @1A charging doesn't matter to you, I think I would go for the XTAR VC4 over the Efest LUSH. Mostly because...
    • It seems to be more widely used by vapers and therefore you can probably get more help with it.
    • It takes 2X700 batts. Never know, you might buy a 2X700 mod soon, even if not right now.
    Since the XTAR VC4 is the same price as the Efest Lush, to me, it's a no-brainer...go for the VC4. But if you want 4x @1A charging, then go for the Efest LUC 4.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Um yes it is nice, as long as it doesn't FAIL. Then, things can get a bit un nice.

I try really hard NOT to leave my batteries on the charger overnight especially since there is no way in hell a fire alarm is going to wake me up.

But it is sort of generally standard practice to NOT to that, honestly.

You should be able to get your batteries charged between home and bedtime, seriously.

Anna

StephLK

ECF Veteran
    Jun 11, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Um yes it is nice, as long as it doesn't FAIL. Then, things can get a bit un nice.

I try really hard NOT to leave my batteries on the charger overnight especially since there is no way in hell a fire alarm is going to wake me up.

But it is sort of generally standard practice to NOT to that, honestly.

You should be able to get your batteries charged between home and bedtime, seriously.

Anna
    I appreciate the advice - and will follow it!
    I feel like external batteries leave more room for user error, so I want to do things as correctly as I can!

Reactions: stols001

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I feel like external batteries leave more room for user error, so I want to do things as correctly as I can!

Yup, there are risks. But IMHO, it's well worth it over integrated battery mods, especially given the current climate around vape in the USA.

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Thank you! I'm not really worried about the charging speed, since I'm getting 6 batteries and will only use two at a time. I'll most likely leave the ones I'm not currently using on the charger over night. All of them seem to have the shut off feature to not overcharge, which is nice.
    Even with auto shutoff you should remove batteries from the charger as soon as they are charged. Never leave batteries on the charger unattended. Accidents are rare but they do happen.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    But also, don't be like TERRIFIED I am going to bet every one of us (well, I have anyway) has made a mistake or two with batteries,.

LOL my son was so horrified with one of my early ones (I had an IPV 5 and they CHEWE through battery wraps) I got my own personalized warp tutorial, right then and there.

Anna

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada

LOL my son was so horrified with one of my early ones (I had an IPV 5 and they CHEWE through battery wraps) I got my own personalized warp tutorial, right then and there.

Anna's post suggests to me another piece of advice for doing it right. When you get your batteries, pick up a some battery wraps as well. They should cost a few cents each. Whenever you take out your batteries, give the plastic wrap a quick once-over. Never use a battery with a damaged wrap.

The good news is that it takes one ten-cent wrap, 3 minutes and a hair dryer to replace a damaged wrap. There are a bunch of rewrapping videos on Youtube, and if they leave you with any questions we're always ready to answer them.

StephLK

ECF Veteran
    Jun 11, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Anna's post suggests to me another piece of advice for doing it right. When you get your batteries, pick up a some battery wraps as well. They should cost a few cents each. Whenever you take out your batteries, give the plastic wrap a quick once-over. Never use a battery with a damaged wrap.

The good news is that it takes one ten-cent wrap, 3 minutes and a hair dryer to replace a damaged wrap. There are a bunch of rewrapping videos on Youtube, and if they leave you with any questions we're always ready to answer them.
    Thanks! I've already ordered the batteries, but I'll be on the look out for wraps. That is cheaper than replacing the battery!

Reactions: stols001

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    Personally, I like a charger that can charge 4 cells at 1A simultaneously. The Lush Q4 specs state that it can only charge 4 cells at .5 amp. The Lush can only charge one 18650 at 2A. If you think you'd want faster charging when all four bays are full, you might want to take a look at the Efest LUC 4 charger. LUC 4 charges all 4 bays at 2A. It's a charger with long background and might be a better choice.

Product Highlights: (Lush 4)I
    • 4 Bay Compact Charger
    I much prefer my Nitecore UMS4.
    Nitecore UMS4 4 Bay Superb LCD Battery Charger - 18650 Battery Store
    It's $5 more, but will charge 20700 and 21700 cells with enough room to get them in and out of the charger effortlessly, and will let you manually adjust the charging speed, in small intervals and individually for each channel so it gives the benefit of putting you in control of what's the best tradeoff between accelerated battery aging and faster charging for you. Further, it's micro USB (compatible with QuickCharge, ver. 2.0 or higher) so it runs very noticeably cooler when compared to older chargers from Nitecore (I have both the 2016 Nitecore D4 and the NEW i4 to compare), and, because you can pair it with any reliable brand of USB wall adapter unit (I highly recommend the Anker brand for this purpose), it gives additional benefits, like, for some people it can also help to eliminate the burden of looking for a good replacement for the walwart in the possible event that the walwart breaks, as these days USB ports are pretty much everywhere.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I have several 4 bay chargers. Backups are a must.
    THE LUC V4 is a decent charger as long as you don't need to charge 2x700 batteries. It will charge 4 batteries at 1amp BUT it only charges 2 batteries at 2amps.

Thanks, I mis-posted the charge rate.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread