Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
I'm too lazy to tinker with things. I buy a product so the hard work is already done for me. As much as I enjoy seeing guys mod there mods, probably not the best idea to post it, as someone with less experience is going to try it and blow half their face off.

i don't have a problem with the mad scientists posting stuff. every single innovation in the history of mankind has been the result of that sort of "posting", whether on ECF, Gutenberg's press, stone tablets, or cave drawings.

collectively, the bleeding edge guys have done a pretty damn nice job of posting warnings, caveats and disclaimers (especially after a few nudges from the Master)

that said, ya can't help stupid. (and, yes, as one of the resident Village Idiots i resemble that remark)

i enjoy reading all of the mad scientists' posts. clearly, they have spurred innovation, just like the cave drawings did

Rob is, of course, going to take it to the next level. That is what he does and has been doing since the first Reo rolled off his workbench.

i have no problem at all with how this all has worked out, and continues to progress further. perhaps that is because this particular Village Idiot has managed to retain enough functional brain cells to realize it's not (yet) for me.

YMMV :)

My hat is off to these guys (and not my face)... :)

Last edited:

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
don't worry about it Monkey.

i'd be willing to bet that Rob realizes (like the rest of us) that you, pdib, dhomes and a few of the others are just freakin flat-out nuts...

... and it's really the rest of us putzes that he worries about, because you dudes are way past hope, redemption or salvation...

I stopped posting about the modding im doing over here some days ago, as soon as rob let us know that a stock solution was coming there was no further need to call attention to it. And it was indeed the best outcome to all this, even if you dont sub-ohm, arent you glad that the rei is going to see an improvement from the maker itself?

Not that i dont keep doing it, i ilke to tinker, i just keep it shhhhhhhhhhhh

umm, that's my way of agreeing with your post :)[/QUOTE]

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Thanks Rob, I must be old or odd but I like my ohms around 1.4 because I take insanely long huge hits .....
I hit it for as long as it takes to fill my ginormas lungs through whatever size air hole the attached device has ....
I've never drilled out an air hole in anything and actually find the RM2 a little big after using the Chalice(s) for so long.

Right now every REO I own is treating me just fine, but glad your working on pleasing everyone.

I don't need more power but better battery life is always nice, I've just sold my last VV REO and I don't stack batts in anything anymore .... Just simple single AW batts and vape until I'm no longer satisfied, usually 3.7ish....

I love modding things but I need a reason to do so .... usually to go faster :D I just don't need more power .... heck if a coil comes out at 1.1 I can't wait for the batter to drain off a little so I can hit it for 20 seconds :D

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Why mess with perfection?
Perfection is something we should never achieve in anything. Perfection means there's no room for improvement, creativity, experimentation and tinkering. What a boring world it'd be if things were just perfect.

Wait was that me? That sounded way too deep, that cannot be me! :lol:

I'll go back to my secret lab to work on my nano-robotic REO. It has a GPS, music player, USB port, power generator, AI comparable to human intelligence, IR tracking, speech recognition and circuitry protection. Batteries? HA! With a solar powered battery and a panel on the side, it automatically goes outside to take a "sun bathe" and comes back to me ready to give me regulated power up to 100 watts using its highly agile hybrid wheels with inbuilt terrain detector to adjust height. Also you can switch from manual squonking to auto squonking, and it has an adjustable handle for you to choose how you want to grab it.

Dammit I wasn't supposed to share that, it's confidential info don't tell anybody I'll get in deep trouble.

:lol: :vapor:

Last edited:

louis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Mt Vernon,Texas
So the new craze is to mod your reo to address voltage drop. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference. The thing is, most people shouldn't be altering their devices. If you have a background in electronics and you're aware of the risks, that’s another story. Removing the spring and replacing it with a loose fuse is a bad idea. There is room for something to go wrong and it will for someone. Someone is going to have a melt down doing this, I know it for a fact. Without the spring the battery can't drop and break the connection if there is a short. My first priority is safety.

I am working on a kit for sub ohm vapers that will reduce the voltage drop safely. I will push this as hard as I can to get it done quickly.

Please note that modifying your Reo nullifies the warranty. That doesn't mean I won't make repairs in the event of a problem, it just means you will be charged for the repairs.

The Reo series are safe & simple. for those who modify it just be careful. I have tested for voltage drop & found it to be small if not nil. Keep it as it is 7 you will be happier.

louis :vapor:

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
The Reo series are safe & simple. for those who modify it just be careful. I have tested for voltage drop & found it to be small if not nil. Keep it as it is 7 you will be happier.

louis :vapor:
Depends on the coil and what wattage you vape at. vDrop increases as you go lower. So to me it's the other way around, mod it and I'll be happier :p.

Rob comes with his own sub-ohm kit, I'll experience a feeling that is beyond happiness :lol:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Slap a Mikuni SBN48 on there w/throttle by wire for juice feed and adjustable breather as you ramp the power!!! This mod really needs a carburetor!! JK, I love my REOS, upgrades sound awesome!!

Carb? The REO is already injected.
MUFFLER, now we talkin....
JIG_8569-300x300.jpg

Have fun
I

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
+1^^^ Exactly. Never have/never will modify any of mine.....probably won't be buying a kit.....appreciate the fact that you're addressing the situation. [Karen: Have done my share of cringing right along with ya.... :)]

As have I! ( cringing)^^ But leave it to our estimable modmaster to address this!KUDOS!

Tho I do understand the need to tinker with things.....:)

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I too, understand the desire to improve things yourself. And for those of you who want to do that, IF you're technically and common sense saavy enough to do so safely, more power to you (how was THAT for a pun :) ). But having said that, if and when Robert comes out with such a mod that actually makes a noticable difference in vape time, I'm in. Otherwise, the small percentage increases I'm seeing posted here are beyond my ability to perceive them in the real world.

Great fun watching though.

cowboy6591

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Liberty, TN
Seriously can't stand the do-good puritan politically correct safety watchdog krapp, Besides, voltage drop blows chunks in any case, why waist battery life with UN-necassary heat on contacts? why add .5 ohm resistance to your setup with no benefits from it? Yes the Reo out of the box is by far way ahead of the game with competitors but never close the house of patent when it comes to making it better, NEVER. If I blow myself up that's my business and not the underwriters laboratory fault. Now that is my dark and dangerous side, For the Light side?
Ya , I get it, I cringe at the thought of the dude sitting next to me at 40,000 feet on a plane holding a GG clone in his hand with an unprotected battery from an old laptop power-pack [witch I use sometimes] and no fuse on a .5 ohm dual coil rebuildable atty that he through together under the influence of Mental Meds.
Sneaking puffs when the stewardess is not around. YOU BET I DISAGREE WITH THAT BEHAVIOR. But every-time a great thread gets going on research and development some PC natzi has got to chime in and warn of the sky falling in. I say let it, as long as you are not risking anyone else's health. Some people are risk takers and I am one of them. The only reason I don't sub-ohm vape is I don't like the hot taste of too much vape and heat going in from a dual coil .5 ohm double barrel shotgun they call a Vape machine. That doesn't mean those that do should be bashed and Nannied to the point of logging off and blowing clouds wile watching TV and forgoing their contribution to the thread because he or she is tiered of being lectured by a wanna-be preacher with PMS that has watched too many episodes of Leave It To Beaver and Ozzy and Harriot. Most of them post as though the "Big Brother" Is spying on them ,, are you kidding, spy on, put me on that dissident list NOW!!! I like dangerous people and risk takers I have learned a lot from them. After all, I have crashed 3 home-made Ultra-light Airplanes, two tractor trailer trucks, one motorcycle and my last skydive? well ?,, It was my last. I would do it all again if I could.

Chime on dangerous men and women out there, BLOW UP your Reogrand's and post those priceless lessons to us so we can sidestep those mistakes and learn from yours, We love dangerous people, they teach us wusses sooooo much by watching them. GO IT!!! Vape on.:vapor:

Oh Ya, try not to end up on the 6 O'clock news, that's not a good thing for any of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
I too, understand the desire to improve things yourself. And for those of you who want to do that, IF you're technically and common sense saavy enough to do so safely, more power to you (how was THAT for a pun :) ). But having said that, if and when Robert comes out with such a mod that actually makes a noticable difference in vape time, I'm in. Otherwise, the small percentage increases I'm seeing posted here are beyond my ability to perceive them in the real world.

Great fun watching though.
Should it perform the same as at least it does with the fuse, I'm totally in. It actually isn't a small percentage unless you vape at over 1.2 ohms. A 0.4V increase regarding vDrop on a 0.5 ohm means that instead of vaping at 23 watts you are now at nearly 29 watts. In the range of 1.0 ohm the wattage isn't that drastic, probably improvements of 2-3 watts. The real advantage (at least the one I perceive) to those that don't care for high wattage, let's say you have a micro coil at 1.2 ohms. With the improvement from the sub-ohm kit, the voltage will drop less, giving you more power, however you don't want more power your sweet spot is at the wattage you were before. Solution? You can know make a higher ohm longer micro coil that will give you the same wattage and more surface to cover, effectively making a 1.4 ohm coil but with 2-3 extra wraps that will improve flavor, TH and vapor production.

PS: I'm at work right now, my head doing spins as I hover over all the bills from the previous month, so if that didn't make sense let me know :p. Numbers are just random examples.

Seriously can't stand the do-good puritan politically correct safety watchdog krapp, Besides, voltage drop blows chunks in any case, why waist battery life with UN-necassary heat on contacts? why add .5 ohm resistance to your setup with no benefits from it? Yes the Reo out of the box is by far way ahead of the game with competitors but never close the house of patent when it comes to making it better, NEVER. If I blow myself up that's my business and not the underwriters laboratory fault. Now that is my dark and dangerous side, For the Light side?
Ya , I get it, I cringe at the thought of the dude sitting next to me at 40,000 feet on a plane holding a GG clone in his hand with an unprotected battery from an old laptop power-pack [witch I use sometimes] and no fuse on a .5 ohm dual coil rebuildable atty that he through together under the influence of Mental Meds.
Sneaking puffs when the stewardess is not around. YOU BET I DISAGREE WITH THAT BEHAVIOR. But every-time a great thread gets going on research and development some PC natzi has got to chime in and warn of the sky falling in. I say let it, as long as you are not risking anyone else's health. Some people are risk takers and I am one of them. The only reason I don't sub-ohm vape is I don't like the hot taste of too much vape and heat going in from a dual coil .5 ohm double barrel shotgun they call a Vape machine. That doesn't mean those that do should be bashed and Nannied to the point of logging off and blowing clouds wile watching TV and forgoing their contribution to the thread because he or she is tiered of being lectured by a wanna-be preacher with PMS that has watched too many episodes of Leave It To Beaver and Ozzy and Harriot. Most of them post as though the "Big Brother" Is spying on them ,, are you kidding, spy on, put me on that dissident list NOW!!! I like dangerous people and risk takers I have learned a lot from them. After all, I have crashed 3 home-made Ultra-light Airplanes, two tractor trailer trucks, one motorcycle and my last skydive? well ?,, It was my last. I would do it all again if I could.

Chime on dangerous men and women out there, BLOW UP your Reogrand's and post those priceless lessons to us so we can sidestep those mistakes and learn from yours, We love dangerous people, they teach us wusses sooooo much by watching them. GO IT!!! Vape on.:vapor:
I...I just...I mean...

HIGH FIVE BROTHER :lol: :lol:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Yeah right, Russ. My woman caught me online looking at prices for golf carts the other day 'cause of you!

RHP

Dude, golf carts, in a big enough, golf car friendly neighborhood are awesome :)
Just upgraded my sound system.

Car battery + inverter + Bluetooth adapter + a set of bad AYuss THX certified PC speakers + iPhone is ya need for some serious block rocking :)
u8y7y2yd.jpg

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com

Oh Ya, try not to end up on the 6 O'clock news, that's not a good thing for any of us.

Well, the only thing your post did for me was make me aware of how you feel.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com

Easy, killer...Rob isn't playing the part of a PC natzi. While I can't speak for everyone else, I know for sure that Rob is protecting himself and his customer base. The point being that the Reo and associated 'nauts don't end up on the 6 o'clock news. If the intention was to squash experimentation or R&D, these threads would have been deleted a long time ago. You are correct, everyone learns a ton from these posts. No one here is naive enough to think we can stop people from modifying their devices...but he would be remiss if he didn't at least post a cautionary warning, especially for those who don't completely understand what they are doing.

That being said, I expect this to remain civil...on all sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread