Status
Not open for further replies.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Easy, killer...Rob isn't playing the part of a PC natzi. While I can't speak for everyone else, I know for sure that Rob is protecting himself and his customer base. The point being that the Reo and associated 'nauts don't end up on the 6 o'clock news. If the intention was to squash experimentation or R&D, these threads would have been deleted a long time ago. You are correct, everyone learns a ton from these posts. No one here is naive enough to think we can stop people from modifying their devices...but he would be remiss if he didn't at least post a cautionary warning, especially for those who don't completely understand what they are doing.

That being said, I expect this to remain civil...on all sides.

You can speak for me....its safer that way. :laugh:

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
Seriously can't stand the do-good puritan politically correct safety watchdog krapp, Besides, voltage drop blows chunks in any case, why waist battery life with UN-necassary heat on contacts? why add .5 ohm resistance to your setup with no benefits from it? Yes the Reo out of the box is by far way ahead of the game with competitors but never close the house of patent when it comes to making it better, NEVER. If I blow myself up that's my business and not the underwriters laboratory fault. Now that is my dark and dangerous side, For the Light side?
Ya , I get it, I cringe at the thought of the dude sitting next to me at 40,000 feet on a plane holding a GG clone in his hand with an unprotected battery from an old laptop power-pack [witch I use sometimes] and no fuse on a .5 ohm dual coil rebuildable atty that he through together under the influence of Mental Meds.
Sneaking puffs when the stewardess is not around. YOU BET I DISAGREE WITH THAT BEHAVIOR. But every-time a great thread gets going on research and development some PC natzi has got to chime in and warn of the sky falling in. I say let it, as long as you are not risking anyone else's health. Some people are risk takers and I am one of them. The only reason I don't sub-ohm vape is I don't like the hot taste of too much vape and heat going in from a dual coil .5 ohm double barrel shotgun they call a Vape machine. That doesn't mean those that do should be bashed and Nannied to the point of logging off and blowing clouds wile watching TV and forgoing their contribution to the thread because he or she is tiered of being lectured by a wanna-be preacher with PMS that has watched too many episodes of Leave It To Beaver and Ozzy and Harriot. Most of them post as though the "Big Brother" Is spying on them ,, are you kidding, spy on, put me on that dissident list NOW!!! I like dangerous people and risk takers I have learned a lot from them. After all, I have crashed 3 home-made Ultra-light Airplanes, two tractor trailer trucks, one motorcycle and my last skydive? well ?,, It was my last. I would do it all again if I could.

Chime on dangerous men and women out there, BLOW UP your Reogrand's and post those priceless lessons to us so we can sidestep those mistakes and learn from yours, We love dangerous people, they teach us wusses sooooo much by watching them. GO IT!!! Vape on.:vapor:

Oh Ya, try not to end up on the 6 O'clock news, that's not a good thing for any of us.

I have people trying to blow half my face off regularly... But I shield myself with paragraph spacing!

P.s.. Love the rant man! I am seriously using some of that in my next reo youtube video! (coming sometime next weekend!)

Last edited by a moderator:

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
Seriously can't stand the do-good puritan politically correct safety watchdog krapp, Besides, voltage drop blows chunks in any case, why waist battery life with UN-necassary heat on contacts? why add .5 ohm resistance to your setup with no benefits from it? Yes the Reo out of the box is by far way ahead of the game with competitors but never close the house of patent when it comes to making it better, NEVER. If I blow myself up that's my business and not the underwriters laboratory fault. Now that is my dark and dangerous side, For the Light side?
Ya , I get it, I cringe at the thought of the dude sitting next to me at 40,000 feet on a plane holding a GG clone in his hand with an unprotected battery from an old laptop power-pack [witch I use sometimes] and no fuse on a .5 ohm dual coil rebuildable atty that he through together under the influence of Mental Meds.
Sneaking puffs when the stewardess is not around. YOU BET I DISAGREE WITH THAT BEHAVIOR. But every-time a great thread gets going on research and development some PC natzi has got to chime in and warn of the sky falling in. I say let it, as long as you are not risking anyone else's health. Some people are risk takers and I am one of them. The only reason I don't sub-ohm vape is I don't like the hot taste of too much vape and heat going in from a dual coil .5 ohm double barrel shotgun they call a Vape machine. That doesn't mean those that do should be bashed and Nannied to the point of logging off and blowing clouds wile watching TV and forgoing their contribution to the thread because he or she is tiered of being lectured by a wanna-be preacher with PMS that has watched too many episodes of Leave It To Beaver and Ozzy and Harriot. Most of them post as though the "Big Brother" Is spying on them ,, are you kidding, spy on, put me on that dissident list NOW!!! I like dangerous people and risk takers I have learned a lot from them. After all, I have crashed 3 home-made Ultra-light Airplanes, two tractor trailer trucks, one motorcycle and my last skydive? well ?,, It was my last. I would do it all again if I could.

Chime on dangerous men and women out there, BLOW UP your Reogrand's and post those priceless lessons to us so we can sidestep those mistakes and learn from yours, We love dangerous people, they teach us wusses sooooo much by watching them. GO IT!!! Vape on.:vapor:

Oh Ya, try not to end up on the 6 O'clock news, that's not a good thing for any of us.

i understand your point, although i might have phrased it differently. hopefully you understand why some may take your tone as a bit edgy...

my major comment is that clearly you never picked up on the dark side of "Leave it to Beaver" and "Ozzie and Harriet" :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
I...I just...I mean...

HIGH FIVE BROTHER :lol: :lol:
Just a FIY for those that didn't get it, that was sarcastic (I was cracking up at job after reading it tbh, I thought this guy was flat out crazy :lol:). Safety should be exercised at all times, and people shouldn't risk their faces or any part of their body knowingly. That's why it's good that every time we post anything regarding modding we always say in bold caps that this is risky and if mishandled it can be dangerous.

Also, +1 to what SXD said. Where do you ever see a modmaker worrying about its customers like this? Rock on Rob, you yourself are part of the reason why the REOs is where it's at.

SeaNap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Atlanta
Thank you Rob for starting this thread to clarify.

I have been apart of a couple mod threads, and we have always done our best to give a proper warning that people should'nt be just disassembling their REO and bypassing the safety, with out a CLEAR understanding of the risks and the benefits. I have always maintained that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a stock REO (unless you like < .4ohm coils), and I know that everybody that was a part of the mod threads agrees. I'm an Elec. Engineer and am very well versed in home electronics repair, and I could sit and design circuit boards and solder leads all night and love every second of it. Basically, I know what I'm doing, and I do it for fun.

The problem comes in when somebody jumps on the thread and doesn't read the first pages, doesnt heed the warnings, doesnt understand what the goals are and how we were trying to accomplish them. Just because we have laid out what we did in a safe and technically detailed manner, doesn't stop someone from experimenting even further when they lack the fundamental knowledge of why we did what we did (eg. creating larger surface area, reduces resistance, reduces v-drop...), and why rob did what he did. (eg. using a spring with high resistance, spring would fail a a particular point that would save the battery). Its the kind of thing where people start saying "Well if the resistance in the spring is the problem, I'm going to get a better spring" and are completely oblivious to the fact that they took away the only safety of the battery. <- That is what scares me. That is why I always tried to be a thoreau as possible, and included all of the necessary calculations and data sheets.

It has been a blast coming up with ideas and figuring out what will and won't work with all of these guys. But sadly, now with and official mod from the modmaster I will no longer need to do custom home mods. Cheers Rob :toast:

Vapeaddikt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Southern Cloud Cartel Arlington, TX

You really need to get out more dude.

The thread starter is the owns the company. REO is him. Seriously.....go take a valium.

I mod and tinker with my REO but not for anyone else, I choose to under my own accord understanding the risks involved prior to doing them.

The owners looking out for the safety of his customers. This is HIS sub-forum for HIS MOD. Your opinion is your opinion but then again most of know how opinions and another part of everyones body go.

Take care.

Last edited:

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
What I got from this thread Rob started simply was modding a REO may not be the best idea or safe especially if your not familiar/experienced in doing so and if attempted it is at your own risk. Cowboy gave his opinion and hasn't further fueled anymore drama so I think its best forgotten.

This kinda reminds me of a incident many years ago taking my son and nephews to a Oakland San Francisco football game at Oakland. We all dressed in our Niner gear walking thru the tailgating parking lot to get into the stadium. My son decides to yell "Raiders SUCK"!!:facepalm: If you ever been to a Raider game in Oakland saying that is risky indoors and in the parking lot even worse. :laugh:

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
What I got from this thread Rob started simply was modding a REO may not be the best idea or safe especially if your not familiar/experienced in doing so and if attempted it is at your own risk. Cowboy gave his opinion and hasn't further fueled anymore drama so I think its best forgotten.

This kinda reminds me of a incident many years ago taking my son and nephews to a Oakland San Francisco football game at Oakland. We all dressed in our Niner gear walking thru the tailgating parking lot to get into the stadium. My son decides to yell "Raiders SUCK"!!:facepalm: If you ever been to a Raider game in Oakland saying that is risky indoors and in the parking lot even worse. :laugh:

You are lucky you made it out alive :lol:

I can only imagine the grumbling roar that must have ensued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread