More addicted???

Status
Not open for further replies.

iremeath

Unregistered Supplier
Feb 28, 2013
United States
www.steelmods.com
the great thing about vaping is you can control your nicotine levels,i started at 24mg as well,now i DIY my own juices at 10mg,just lower your levels slowly,your body will barely notice the change,then you can either decide to lower to zero,or quit if you feel its to much of an addiction to continue,clearly vaping isnt a stop smoking tool but it can be used to lower your nicotine addiction to a level that makes quitting a viable option :)

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
I think these are Good Points.

Especially your mention of a PV doesn't go Out. So there is no Limiting factor which says you have had you Allocated Dose and it is time to Stop.

There is also something else about Cigarette Addiction. And that is the Addiction to the Chemical Compounds that are Added to tobacco under the premise that they do Something Else like make the tobacco burn slower.

I firmly believe that I was More Addicted to the Added Chemicals that were/are being placed in Cigarette Tobacco than I was to just Nicotine.

Many people still crave those Chemicals without even knowing it. And no matter how much you hit on your PV, you Aren't getting them. Which is a Good thing. But may lead to Chasing something that Isn't there.

zoiD,
I think, after reading your posts in here, that you have some tremendous insights into the chemical and psychological addiction to ciggies.

After vaping for 2 months now, I am CONVINCED that there is addiction to other chemicals in analogs. Why? For me at least, because the craving for vapor is just not as severe as the craving for cigarettes. The craving for cigarettes was like a gorilla.
The craving for vapor is MUCH less, more like a chipmunk, maybe. (Doesn't sound right.....gotta get that chipmunk off my back....lol).

Another thing that caused me a few rough spots is that there is no 'finished' feeling or sense to vaping. (Maybe becuase I tend to vape a lower nic concentration, or because nicotine is absorbed more quickly smoking it.) Smoking ciggies, you get a craving, you light up, you smoke it til the end, and you usually have some sense that you are 'finished', or satisfied. Unless you are a chain smoker, most put out the .... and move on from there. Most do not light up another immediately. I never get that sense of, "OK, I'm done for now, time to focus on whatever else I need to do." (Not sure if I am expressing this accurately....)

Also, I am addicted to the FLAVORS....there are some I simply can't put down, like this Pear juice I am vaping right now......WOW!!

Last edited:

travisb

Moved On
May 27, 2013
Owensboro, KY
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Vendor

ennagizer

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
South Florida, USA
After vaping for 2 months now, I am CONVINCED that there is addiction to other chemicals in analogs. Why? For me at least, because the craving for vapor is just not as severe as the craving for cigarettes. The craving for cigarettes was like a gorilla.
The craving for vapor is MUCH less, more like a chipmunk, maybe. (Doesn't sound right.....gotta get that chipmunk off my back....lol).

Another thing that caused me a few rough spots is that there is no 'finished' feeling or sense to vaping. (Maybe becuase I tend to vape a lower nic concentration, or because nicotine is absorbed more quickly smoking it.) Smoking ciggies, you get a craving, you light up, you smoke it til the end, and you usually have some sense that you are 'finished', or satisfied. Unless you are a chain smoker, most put out the .... and move on from there. Most do not light up another immediately. I never get that sense of, "OK, I'm done for now, time to focus on whatever else I need to do." (Not sure if I am expressing this accurately....)

Also, I am addicted to the FLAVORS....there are some I simply can't put down, like this Pear juice I am vaping right now......WOW!!

TyPie, you have expressed the same feelings I have. zoiDman, you too when you wrote "I firmly believe that I was More Addicted to the Added Chemicals that were/are being placed in Cigarette Tobacco than I was to just Nicotine."

After 6 weeks vaping I still have cravings to light up. However, those cravings have gotten less and less. I also don't get the same 'finished, or satisfied" feeling as I did with analogs, it's more of a feeling of being content, and really, that's all I need. In any case, last analog was 5 weeks ago and I have no intent of purchasing another pack of analogs.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

After 6 weeks vaping I still have cravings to light up. However, those cravings have gotten less and less. I also don't get the same 'finished, or satisfied" feeling as I did with analogs, it's more of a feeling of being content, and really, that's all I need. In any case, last analog was 5 weeks ago and I have no intent of purchasing another pack of analogs.

It can take awhile. But know that the Cravings Do Go Away.

Drink a lot of water. That helps with Everything.

Know when I switched from Marlboro Lights to Natural American Spirits, could tell that there was some missing and not satisfying. Lasted about 2-3 weeks.

I hear you. I smoked B&H for Years. The last two Years I smoked, I switched to American Spirits. After about a month of using American Spirits I bought a Pack of B&H and just about fell over from the Head Rush I got. Thru them away and went back to American Spirits.

Not sure what they put in B&H's. But I am sure glad I'm not Smoking them, Or Anything, Anymore.

NotoriousJDP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Springfield, IL, USA
zoiD,

I think this is EXACTLY what my issue is

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Cigarette Ingredients - Chemicals in Cigarettes
Here are the 599 chemicals added to cigarettes that when burned create over 4000 chemical compounds. That's right, 4000 chemicals your not putting in your body every half hour or so.

Not defending Analogs or BT.

But it should be mentioned that Every Cigarette does Not Contain Every Chemical on that list.

The list was from Multiple Cigarette Manufactures for Multiple Cigarette Brands. Menthol Cigarettes have the Most Chemicals added.

Darlene

Jul 20, 2010
Kentucky
I feel more addicted to vaping than I ever did with smoking. I smoked about a pack a day of Marlboro Reds (for a LONG time) I started vaping at 24 then went to 18 then 12 and finally 6. With the lower mg I found that the pv was attached to my mouth constantly. I am now back at 11-15 mg and I'm still using it constantly.
I don't understand this. I have been vaping for about 2 years now and I get cravings for it just like I did with the cigarettes so I keep it with me at all times. I use it all day, every day. I also don't feel better. When I first quit smoking I felt so much better but now, using the pv sometimes makes me feel like I can't get enough air into my lungs and it will feel that way until I hold off for about an hour or so. I still have no energy and I thought for sure that would have come back by now. I also still get out of breath, just like I did when I was smoking. That part got better when I first started vaping, but now my lungs feel just like they did when I was still smoking.
Physically, there is nothing wrong with me. I've been to the doctor and had all sorts of tests. Everything comes back normal. My doctor seems to think that even though the ecig was great for getting me off of the cigarettes, that it's time to quit it as well. I don't know how I'm going to do it being that the lower mg don't really satisfy any of my cravings but I am just so sick of being addicted to this and I use it just as much when I'm using a higher mg so it doesn't make any sense.

SnowDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Springfield, IL
Darlene,

Your post is interesting yet troubling at the same time. Especially the parts about not feeling any better. I feel just as addicted to vaping as I did to smoking. Your comments don't really surprise me as I have already started to wonder if/how I will ever give up vaping. I'm pretty sure it's going to be just as hard to do as giving up cigarettes. Even harder actually since I won't have a similar habit to take its place.

Easy for me to say but it sounds like you need to muster up the strength to quit vaping. I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do and thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Darlene

Jul 20, 2010
Kentucky
Darlene,

Your post is interesting yet troubling at the same time. Especially the parts about not feeling any better. I feel just as addicted to vaping as I did to smoking. Your comments don't really surprise me as I have already started to wonder if/how I will ever give up vaping. I'm pretty sure it's going to be just as hard to do as giving up cigarettes. Even harder actually since I won't have a similar habit to take its place.

Easy for me to say but it sounds like you need to muster up the strength to quit vaping. I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do and thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Thank you. I do think that it's going to be just as hard as trying to quit smoking. I tried that many times and failed until I got my ecig. I would never even think about needing to quit it as well, if I weren't feeling the way that I am now (I have been feeling this way for quite a while now) It's scary to get that feeling in my lungs and though I do have anxiety issues, its a completely different feeling, one just like I got when I was smoking. I don't know how I'm going to do this, but I'm going to try my best. I had such high hopes when I first started vaping because I did feel better in the beginning, so that is why this is so confusing to me. I wish everyone the best of luck as well whether they decide to stick with vaping or to try quitting. Rolygate, I might check into the snus to see if that helps anything.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I think I have become MORE addicted to nicotine now that I vape instead of smoke. I smoked a pack of Newport 100's a day. Sometimes I could go 3 hours or so without having a craving. Ever since I started vaping I just can't seem to put my PV down. I vape 24/mg juice. I seem to constantly be sucking on my PV. I don't really have what I'd call cravings or nicotine fits, but feel like I might be more addicted to my PV than I ever was to analogs. Is this just me or does anyone else feel like this. Any suggestions on how to cut down the vaping? (Not that its such a bad thing)

Everybody does this at the start. And I doubt it's "more addicted". I'm not even sure what that would mean. Addiction has to do with not being able to quit. What's the difference between not being able to quit smoking and not being able to quit vaping?

Anyway.

Fact is, the absorption of nicotine in vaping is different from that in smoking. Inhaling smoke into your lungs yields more nicotine absorption and much faster. Along with a few thousand other chemicals, many of which cause cancer.

In vaping, you absorb the nicotine through the mouth and nasal passages. It's slower and you may absorb less "per puff". Absorption through the lungs is just really, really fast and efficient. You ever try to quit using the gum? Bet you blew through the stuff like a maniac. I know I did. :)

Same issue. Getting the nic through the mouth is a slower process and less "efficient".

I firmly believe--based on reading the experiences of others and my own experience--that what is going on is smokers had some level of nicotine in their system that was their personal "normal". However we get the nicotine--by smoking, vaping, gum, patches, whatever--we seek that level. When you switch to vaping, your "intake" of nic drops so you increase your "puffs" trying to compensate.

Same thing happens when people try to "cut back" by switching to "ultra-light" cigs. They end up smoking more cigs. They get less nic per cig so they use more cigs.

There is, also, apparently, a phenomena where someone who is new to vaping has to adjust their inhalation habits. You were used to inhaling smoke into your lungs then, suddenly, it's vapor into your mouth and out your nose (the latter being optional but increases the nic uptake). Remember, you have (not fully conscious) habits built up from your time smoking. You didn't have to think about your "inhale technique" when you smoked. You had "practiced" it tons and tons of times. You were probably barely aware of the motions. A lot like driving. You don't concentrate on every single motion every single time. You think in terms of "turn right" and you do.

You'll have to play around with vaping to hit your personal "equilibrium". Your sig says about two months. That's still not very long really. Compare that to however long you smoked. Which for many of us is measured in years and decades (and I hate that I can measure anything in my life in "decades" :) ).

Also, since you've changed a habit, you may just be more aware of the vaping. Habitual behavior like smoking can "fly beneath the radar" a lot. We don't watch every single cig we smoke. We just do it. Sometimes barely paying attention. Then this new thing comes along and you notice it a lot more. So there would be a tendency to think of it as "doing it more" even if you're not. Or not much. Hard to say. But you're going to notice a new habit more than an old one.

Finally, does it matter?

No, seriously. Face it, we're nicotine addicts. If we weren't, we would have just walked away from smoking and never looked back. But getting your nicotine by way of smoke is seriously, seriously bad for your health. And modern tobacco products contain a stunning array of chemicals. The count is at least 4,000. Some 50+ that are known to cause cancer.

If you want to deal with the nicotine addiction later, fine. Many here do by stepping down their nic level over time, looking toward the day when they go to 0 nicotine liquids. But that's a separate issue. If you could just walk away from nicotine, you wouldn't need to be here at all. You'd just quit. The whole point of vaping is to get the nicotine in a vastly safer way (perfectly safe... nobody knows... but far, far, far safer than inhaling 4,000 chemicals eh?).

That is, you quit 3,999 other chemicals that were tearing up your health. That's pretty good in my book. If you want to set a goal of quitting the last one, great. If you can't, well, you quit the other 3,999!

And, by the way, nicotine may be addictive but it's not a terribly dangerous chemical. It's not a carcinogen for one. I mean, we know that. It's not the nicotine in cigs that causes the lung (and other) cancers. While it's not ideal to have a nicotine addiction in the first place, for those of us who started smoking, it's a little late. We can't time travel back to when we picked up that first cigarette and smack ourselves (I'd love to, soon as somebody whips up a time machine!).

So... what's the worst case? You're "more addicted" to a substance that isn't going to give you cancer but you've stopped inhaling 50+ substances we know do cause cancer.

Is that really so bad?

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I feel more addicted to vaping than I ever did with smoking. I smoked about a pack a day of Marlboro Reds (for a LONG time) I started vaping at 24 then went to 18 then 12 and finally 6. With the lower mg I found that the pv was attached to my mouth constantly. I am now back at 11-15 mg and I'm still using it constantly.
I don't understand this. I have been vaping for about 2 years now and I get cravings for it just like I did with the cigarettes so I keep it with me at all times. I use it all day, every day. I also don't feel better. When I first quit smoking I felt so much better but now, using the pv sometimes makes me feel like I can't get enough air into my lungs and it will feel that way until I hold off for about an hour or so. I still have no energy and I thought for sure that would have come back by now. I also still get out of breath, just like I did when I was smoking. That part got better when I first started vaping, but now my lungs feel just like they did when I was still smoking.
Physically, there is nothing wrong with me. I've been to the doctor and had all sorts of tests. Everything comes back normal. My doctor seems to think that even though the ecig was great for getting me off of the cigarettes, that it's time to quit it as well. I don't know how I'm going to do it being that the lower mg don't really satisfy any of my cravings but I am just so sick of being addicted to this and I use it just as much when I'm using a higher mg so it doesn't make any sense.

1. What ratio of PG/VG are you using? I've read some people saying that VG gives them a heaviness in their chest, like their drowning. If you're using higher VG levels and if you're not allergic to PG, you could always try upping your PG levels.

2. At the same time, you could raise your nic level either by vaping higher levels or by adding SNUS, the patch, or whatever.

3. Have you tried different juice vendors and different types of flavors? Are you using buttery type flavors or anything else that could potentially cause problems?

4. What juice delivery system(s) do you use? I know that I can't handle too much vapor. So, although I love dual-coils, I can only use them after I've been awake for hours and in relatively small doses. Especially the EMDCC, it just produces too much vapor for me sometimes.

If you can get reasonable doses of nic, maybe you can either quit or cut back enough that the lung issue subsides.

Good luck!

TinaBaleena

Jun 3, 2013
Humble, TX
Hey--- Noobie here. I too have only been vaping for 2 weeks and when I am home I will vape until I get a headache. So I have figured out some things to help me keep this a similar event to when I smoked analogs.

1) I have a stop watch app on my phone. Before I quit I literally timed how long it took me to smoke a cigarette. - 4min 47 sec. This was not near long enough to hit on the e cig so I upped it to 7 min. It is not the greatest but it is enough.

2) I disassemble my rig at the end of every puffing session. I take the carto or mini tank off the battery and put it away in the case I have

3) I only vape in places where smoking is allowed - like outside. The only exception to this is on Sunday evening when i sit down and watch a movie. I give myself a couple hours of chain vaping and that is it.

My reasoning is this, 1) the placebo effect is strong for me. If my habits are similar, then I will be able to wean myself off the Nic. 2) I am worried that with all of the legislation and drama with the FDA, these will not be a REAL long term solution and I would rather have a plan to stop my addiction my way before someone else does it for me.

So far so good! I just really focus on how good it feels to breathe out of my nose again - I stopped snoring (LOL) and I really think I have actually coughed 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I love how great everything smells and tastes. I feel good. These are the things I focus on to really keep me from going back to smoking - which would be really easy to do since there are 3 other smokers in my house.
;-)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

First Thing: DON"T GIVE UP.

I know your Frustrated Right Now. I get that way Myself at times.

I sometimes have to tell myself that no matter how I feel about e-Cigarettes, going back to Cigarettes is not an Option.

Have you tried Switching Flavors around. Or trying some Completely New and Wild Flavor? Anything to Break the Routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread