More progress in Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
There were a lot of high emotions, gallows humor, uncertainty, and high stakes on the drive out to the Arizona state capitol. Members of NAVB came together on 2/19/2015 to make their presence felt and their voices heard regarding HB2648. Members of SFATA were also there in opposition of the bill. The bill was assigned to a special committee to be discussed last. After spending the day at the capitol waiting for the grand finale,good news arrived at nightfall. The bill was killed before it hit the floor to be discussed, partly due to Matt Morales being in the lobby at an opportune time. Morales was brought inside and given a limited time to present the issues that NAVB had with the bill.

This bill would have effectively given a vague legal framework to penalize local companies distributing e-liquid products that are deemed to be advertising to children. Most of the shop owners that I have met are former smokers who used these products to quit. They have seen these products help people quit tobacco products altogether and want to protect their right to provide this service. The teenagers who I have seen attempt to enter shops are generally disruptive and are detrimental to the positive environment that the employees are trying to maintain for their customers.

With the amount of shops in Phoenix and the surrounding suburbs, the competition is high. The bar of entry into the market as far as investment is creeping up. I have watched shops grow, wither, and change rapidly over the course of the past year and a half that I have been vaping. At the end of the day, most of us have the same goal:To stop smoking and to assist others who want to do the same.

As a group of vapers and business owners we were able to prevail with small numbers when it looked dark. We need them to see our presence grow as these issues come up in the future. If you live in AZ and aren't already involved in advocacy, now is a good time to join. We have won the battle, but not the war.This is not a happy ending, just progress. If you want to find out more about NAVB, visit www.nationalvape.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread