MTL RTA Coil Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
Is there an ideal wire gauge for MTL vaping (for flavor)? I see people saying 30-32gauge gives them a cooler vape with better flavor, and some saying they use 26 gauge and get great flavor.

I’m currently using 28 gauge SS316L - I am getting pretty good flavor, but I’d obviously love to get more. The BP Mods Pioneer has a shorter bell than my other RTA’s, and I’m using the 1mm airflow pin with the 6mtl holes selected.

I tried using 2mm ID coils, but I didn’t like how tight the draw was, so I’m looking to make 2.5ID coils that I can vape at low wattages.

They suggest >= .65 ohms and <= 20 watts. My current set up is 7-8 wraps which gives me .8ish ohms and I vape in wattage mode around 15-20 watts (I can’t get TC to work well for me, so I’ve dismissed it for now). I think I’d like to be able to get my watts lower, because my battery life isn’t the greatest on my Aegis Mini.

28 gauge is already pretty thin, and I just ordered some rayon to try instead of the cotton I’ve been using. I’m not sure if I should get the 30, or 32 (and maybe make a twisted coil since it would be so thin)?

I really don’t like a warm vape and I read that 26 gauge would get a lot hotter in a smaller bell, so I don’t think I will order that, but I would love some insight on what you guys think would give me max flavor with my current set up.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'd stick with 28ga as 30ga and higher is much harder to wick with. 26g is easy to wick with, but as you said, it's a warmer vape.

Another option is a MTL clapton coil. Vandy vape do a 30/38 clapton. This is just 30g wire, finely wrapped with 38g wire. It gives you a wire that is stronger than 30g so it's easy to coil. And the 38g wrap gives it a lot more surface area which equates to more flavour.

$4.25 Authentic Vandy Vape 316L Stainless Steel Superfine MTL Clapton Heating Wire - 30/38 AWG / 0.25mm/0.1mm dia. / 5.48ohm/ft / 10ft at FastTech - Free Shipping
    this is just to show you what it is, it's available in a lot more places than just FT

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
    I'd stick with 28ga as 30ga and higher is much harder to wick with. 26g is easy to wick with, but as you said, it's a warmer vape.

Another option is a MTL clapton coil. Vandy vape do a 30/38 clapton. This is just 30g wire, finely wrapped with 38g wire. It gives you a wire that is stronger than 30g so it's easy to coil. And the 38g wrap gives it a lot more surface area which equates to more flavour.

$4.25 Authentic Vandy Vape 316L Stainless Steel Superfine MTL Clapton Heating Wire - 30/38 AWG / 0.25mm/0.1mm dia. / 5.48ohm/ft / 10ft at FastTech - Free Shipping
    this is just to show you what it is, it's available in a lot more places than just FT

I would prefer to make my own coils, though. I do have a 10 pack of Vandy Vape superfine MTL claptons and they are great, I just vape really sweet juices. Even after rinsing them off, dry burning, and rinsing them off again, they start to develop the burned taste in about a ml of juice. They last me roughly 25ml of juice before they get gunked up, but I fear it will quickly add up. I vape 3-4 tanks of 3.7ml a day

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I would prefer to make my own coils, though. I do have a 10 pack of Vandy Vape superfine MTL claptons and they are great, I just vape really sweet juices. Even after rinsing them off, dry burning, and rinsing them off again, they start to develop the burned taste in about a ml of juice. They last me roughly 25ml of juice before they get gunked up, but I fear it will quickly add up. I vape 3-4 tanks of 3.7ml a day

I hear you, I like sweet juices too and don't like cleaning coils :D You can get the claptons on a wire reel as well though if you want to coil your own. Are you using a wire brush to clean off the coil after a dry burn? That may help if you aren't.

Another option is getting a spool of 30g or 32g wire and twisting two strands. That will give you more surface area, and twisted wire is A LOT easier to clean.

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
    I hear you, I like sweet juices too and don't like cleaning coils :D You can get the claptons on a wire reel as well though if you want to coil your own. Are you using a wire brush to clean off the coil after a dry burn? That may help if you aren't.

Another option is getting a spool of 30g or 32g wire and twisting two strands. That will give you more surface area, and twisted wire is A LOT easier to clean.

No I didn’t realize you were supposed to use a wire brush, I just thought you dry burned, rinsed, and repeated if you wanted. I was just doing that about 3-4 times lol. I think I will try twisted 32gauge

• Winner
    Reactions: AngeNZ

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @MichaellMcCoyy, here's some info for setting up TC mode.

SS316L TCR = 88

Temperature = 250°C maximum

Watts = set to the required Watts for atomiser resistance.

Hopefully this should help get you running TC to some extent, you'll just have to dial it in to your preference then. All you have to alter then is the Temperature and Watts, Temperature is the limit and Watts dictates how fast it'll reach limit.

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
    @MichaellMcCoyy, here's some info for setting up TC mode.

SS316L TCR = 88

Temperature = 250°C maximum

Watts = set to the required Watts for atomiser resistance.

Hopefully this should help get you running TC to some extent, you'll just have to dial it in to your preference then. All you have to alter then is the Temperature and Watts, Temperature is the limit and Watts dictates how fast it'll reach limit.

My problem is the Aegis has it set to 105 as the default for SS316L. I can vape at 15 watts in wattage mode and get good vapor/flavor. I set it to TC at the default 105 TCR, 30 watts, and 460F and get minimal flavor and vapor. I have to go into TCR mode (120) to get it to produce good flavor, and keeping everything else the same (which I need to do or I won’t get flavor), it will completely blacken the coil/cotton within 2ml of juice.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    How low can the TCR range on your Aegis go, because 104 will be too high.

Around 23 Watts is good for a 0.6 ohm coil, if you use Android you can download a free app called Wattage Calculator. It's pretty useful as it'll give you a range to work with an an optimal, I've used it myself with good results for some time now.

And set and leave temperature at 250°C, 18°C lower will have an impact.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Is there an ideal wire gauge for MTL vaping (for flavor)? I see people saying 30-32gauge gives them a cooler vape with better flavor, and some saying they use 26 gauge and get great flavor.

I’m currently using 28 gauge SS316L - I am getting pretty good flavor, but I’d obviously love to get more. The BP Mods Pioneer has a shorter bell than my other RTA’s, and I’m using the 1mm airflow pin with the 6mtl holes selected.

I tried using 2mm ID coils, but I didn’t like how tight the draw was, so I’m looking to make 2.5ID coils that I can vape at low wattages.

They suggest >= .65 ohms and <= 20 watts. My current set up is 7-8 wraps which gives me .8ish ohms and I vape in wattage mode around 15-20 watts (I can’t get TC to work well for me, so I’ve dismissed it for now). I think I’d like to be able to get my watts lower, because my battery life isn’t the greatest on my Aegis Mini.

28 gauge is already pretty thin, and I just ordered some rayon to try instead of the cotton I’ve been using. I’m not sure if I should get the 30, or 32 (and maybe make a twisted coil since it would be so thin)?

I really don’t like a warm vape and I read that 26 gauge would get a lot hotter in a smaller bell, so I don’t think I will order that, but I would love some insight on what you guys think would give me max flavor with my current set up.

Michaaaaaaelll!!!!!! How much flavour u want??? :p crazyyy flavour hunter!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously tho as i see people suggest all the possible solutions i guess .....clapton coils with a good wicking and a flavour pumped juice with more than 40 percent pg and i bet u gonna get diabetes from sweetness :p

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

I'd stay with 28ga or 26ga.

30ga wire is Kinda Flimsy. And 32ga is the Weaker Cousin of 30ga.

You should be able to Get a Non-Hot Hit from either either 28 or 26ga. Just need to do some Experimenting with Number of Loops and Coil Diameter.

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
    I like 28g (Kanthal or ss316L). For very small atties, I use 29g Kanthal. I prefer 2.5mm ID coils, ~1Ω or so, 9-12 watts.

That’s what I aim for, but I just can’t fit a 10 wrap spaced coil easily.

That low of watts? I use steam engine, but they suggest 120-350 mW/mm² heat flux, and I never thought to go lower for some reason.

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
    Michaaaaaaelll!!!!!! How much flavour u want??? :p crazyyy flavour hunter!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously tho as i see people suggest all the possible solutions i guess .....clapton coils with a good wicking and a flavour pumped juice with more than 40 percent pg and i bet u gonna get diabetes from sweetness :p

Lmao I know. I will say I feel a little ridiculous - I’m just used to the flavor in my pod systems. It’s such a cool, wet, sweet vape, and I really just can’t emulate it in an RTA.

The fused claptons are the best I’ve had to date, but I don’t want to buy premades when I purchased a coil jig.
    I ended up just buying a roll of the fused Clapton wire. I read some reviews about it being hard to coil, but I guess I’ll find out.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Aren’t those going to give me less flavor, though?

Eahh... It May. Or it May Not.

Only one Way to Know. And that's to Try It.

That's Kinda what Building your Own Coils is All About. Take what Other's say as Suggestions. And use Numbers as Guidelines. But do Actual Builds to Find Out what You like the Best.

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
    Mine are 6-7 wraps.

I like my heat flux below 200--I like to stay in the green. 350?

Yeah, okay. You’re using kanthal then, huh? I just input the 28ga kanthal into steam engine - I didn’t realize the recommended wattage was so much lower lol. Might have to just get me some. I tried 1 ohm 26ga kanthal (it came with one of my RTA’s) and I didn’t like it very much... had to bring it over 20 watts and it was getting really hot

• Agree
    Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I tried 1 ohm 26ga kanthal (it came with one of my RTA’s) and I didn’t like it very much... had to bring it over 20 watts and it was getting really hot

That's why I don't like 26g for MTL--28 and 29g heat up much faster.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread