Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
hi everyone! I’m 2 weeks into vaping after quitting smoking cigarettes for several years.
I’m confused with the MYL vs DTL inhalation methods. I currently am using a Joytech Exceed D15 with the 1.5 MTL atomizer. I like being able to “drag” or “pull” on the vape. I’ve tried the other .5 subohm atomizer which doesn’t have much draw.
As I’m looking at larger all in one mods it appears almost all are subohm.
After all that introductory stuff the bottom line is - is there a way to get that “drag” using a subohm vaporizer?

Thanks!

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Mouth to lung equals a tight draw, similar to a cigarette. Direct to lung equals an airy draw that you suck directly into your' lungs, similar to a hookah from what I hear. It's just personal preference, some people prefer dl others prefer mtl I myself prefer mtl. Sub ohm coils are not typically used for mtl.

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
for the "drag like a cig" feeling there are a large number of wonderful tanks out there, as mentioned above the nautilus is pretty good for a tight draw. others like the Zenith are another. with mouth-to-lung vaping you want higher resistance coils (.9-2 ohm) and generally higher nic juice (12-24mg). many of the all in one devices are mtl, the joytech aio devices do have mtl coils, but i personally dont like the draw on them for mtl, YMMV. one of my favorites is the Aspire Plato, its a VERY compact setup, uses nautilus coils, and even comes with a battery. it is also one of the best bang for buck kits for the price.

that was kinds rambly, but in short, getting a good tight draw on a sub-ohm tank setup is a losing battle, but there are very good setups for reasonable prices that do mtl like a boss.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's not practical to try and get that type of vape from a sub0hm tank, it's really not designed for that. You sound like you really like that draw and nothing you do to a sub0hm tank is really going to give you that in any kind of useful way. It is nice at times to have a larger capacity tank, but I think you may be better off staying with that smaller capacity (although there are some larger MTL tanks, but many of them are RTAs. But you should be going through less juice, and if concerned about capacity, sometimes a top fill tank can be nice and just bring a bottle of ejuice with you.

I use a Kabuki tank that is 3 ml fill. They're expensive but worth it, although I might recommend starting with a clone from Fasttech. They aren't as good but will give you a sense of what the original is like, and the clones aren't bad by any means either. They are bottom fill but it's an easy bottom fill.

Best of luck, I'm sure others may have recommendations for you. The aspire nautilus (original) has a larger capacity and takes 1.8, 1.6 and 0.7 coils but is bigger than the Nautilus 2. I did not care for the vape in mine, but I only used it a short time.

Anna

Reactions: Beamslider

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It's not practical to try and get that type of vape from a sub0hm tank, it's really not designed for that. You sound like you really like that draw and nothing you do to a sub0hm tank is really going to give you that in any kind of useful way.
I agree for the most part. However, I have found an exception.

My favorite tank is the Uwell Crown (original) Authentic Uwell Crown Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer . Technically, it is a sub-ohm tank, but you don't have to sub-ohm with it. It has 1.2 ohm coils available for it . It is an easy top fill (4ml capacity). It has a ratcheted air control ring which allows wide open direct lung draws down to a tight mouth-to-lung draw. It has a wide bore mouthpiece, but you can always replace it with any inexpensive small bore mouthpiece if you desire, which can also give a more restricted draw. Great flavor, a lot of vapor.

I use a Kabuki tank that is 3 ml fill. They're expensive but worth it, although I might recommend starting with a clone from Fasttech. They aren't as good but will give you a sense of what the original is like, and the clones aren't bad by any means either. They are bottom fill but it's an easy bottom fill.
I have purchased a Kabuki clone from Fast Tech. Although I don't use it a whole lot, I can attest to its overall quality. I'm more of a deep lung vaper, but occassionally I go through a phase where I mouth-to-lung. Nice thing about Kabuki's, Kabuki clones, and Aspire Nautilus tanks is they all use the same coils and generally it is easy to find the replacement coils. The tanks at Fast Tech seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I agree for the most part. However, I have found an exception.

My favorite tank is the Uwell Crown (original) Authentic Uwell Crown Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer . Technically, it is a sub-ohm tank, but you don't have to sub-ohm with it. It has 1.2 ohm coils available for it . It is an easy top fill (4ml capacity). It has a ratcheted air control ring which allows wide open direct lung draws down to a tight mouth-to-lung draw. It has a wide bore mouthpiece, but you can always replace it with any inexpensive small bore mouthpiece if you desire, which can also give a more restricted draw. Great flavor, a lot of vapor.

I have purchased a Kabuki clone from Fast Tech. Although I don't use it a whole lot, I can attest to its overall quality. I'm more of a deep lung vaper, but occassionally I go through a phase where I mouth-to-lung. Nice thing about Kabuki's, Kabuki clones, and Aspire Nautilus tanks is they all use the same coils and generally it is easy to find the replacement coils. The tanks at Fast Tech seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Yeah, we are talking clearomizers not RTA's so the coil itself dictates the draw not the tank. Depends what you mean by all in one many kits only come with sub ohm DTL but have MTL above ohm options available. If you know what kits your looking at we can tell you if it has MTL coils.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Subohm simply means lower than 1.0 ohm. There are MTL devices that use lower ohm coils. For instance the Joyetech Ego AIO comes with 0.6 ohm coils.The Kanger Toptank/Subtank devices have a variety of coils from .5 to 1.8 ohm.

What really matters is the airflow and the design more than the resistance of the coil. Some devices just cannot do MTL. Some just can't do DL. Some can do both.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
After all that introductory stuff the bottom line is - is there a way to get that “drag” using a subohm vaporizer?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Why repeat what has already been said. Here is a little more background.
Might like to read:
Tutorial: Guide to Different Types of Atomizers | MistHub
Above-Ohm Vaping vs Sub-Ohm Vaping
Most tank manufacturers will list the product as both good for sub ohm with the coil recommended and non sub with it's coil if applicable. Most single coil 2 post RDA's can be used a MTL's (esp if the drip tip supplied is a std. 510).

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Yeah, they usually go together in clearomizer tanks. The above ohm coils are usually built with 2mm vertical coils where the sub ohm coils are built with 2.5-3mm. The coil itself is literally the bore of your airflow. You can get a MTL with 2.5-3mm by cutting off air at the base but for a more true MTL the 2mm does a better job. I had the subtank mini C that you can't adjust airflow and the difference between the .5 SS and 1.8 ohm is huge. I need the 1.8 ohm for my very restricted DTL, the 0.5 is like sucking a paper towel tube.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Welcome and glad you joined.
Why repeat what has already been said. Here is a little more background.
Might like to read:
Tutorial: Guide to Different Types of Atomizers | MistHub
Above-Ohm Vaping vs Sub-Ohm Vaping
Most tank manufacturers will list the product as both good for sub ohm with the coil recommended and non sub with it's coil if applicable. Most single coil 2 post RDA's can be used a MTL's (esp if the drip tip supplied is a std. 510).
Have to check out the Dead Rabbit SE RDA when it comes out. Single coil and has 1mm or 2 1mm air flow options and a MTL drip tip included.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
There are few tanks that do both DL and MTL well. One of the best is the Kanger Sub/Toptank. Even so, it's a design compromise and when you compromise in a design, the outcome is a... compromise. I suggest you simply get a MTL tank and enjoy. As has been said, the Nautilus has an excellent reputation and many people like it. It's not expensive either. What mod you put it on doesn't matter, so long as it will fire in the 7-15 watt range.

Welcome to the board.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    If you just want to pull the same amount of air with more effort, you can tighten the air flow control if there is one. But you still need to move more air through a higher power device. I've come around to almost the opposite, lazy draw lowish power. Casual.

The Exceed coils almost surely tighten the air flow some with the 1.5 ohm. Higher resistance coils draw less power at a given voltage, so are usually made to suit lower power although the relation is not exact.

Some of the new MTL stuff is a bit more power and maybe a loose interpretation of the term, although that might be fine for you. Nautilus and even earlier tanks etc. mostly had a really tight draw. The old line is "like sucking a milkshake though a straw".

Last edited:

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    If you just want to pull the same amount of air with more effort, you can tighten the air flow control if there is one. But you still need to move more air through a higher power device. I've come around to almost the opposite, lazy draw lowish power. Casual.

The Exceed coils almost surely tighten the air flow some with the 1.5 ohm. Higher resistance coils draw less power at a given voltage, so are usually made to suit lower power although the relation is not exact.

Some of the new MTL stuff is a bit more power and maybe a loose interpretation of the term, although that might be fine for you. Nautilus and even earlier tanks etc. mostly had a really tight draw. The old line is "like sucking a milkshake though a straw".
    Thanks for the reply. Would a .15 have more resistance than say a .5 atomizer?

Again thank you.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. Would a .15 have more resistance than say a .5 atomizer?

Again thank you.
    No, .5 is higher, it's a bigger number. It might help to think of decimals like dollars and cents notation (2 digits to the right of the decimal point):
    0.15 = .15
    0.50 = .5
    1.00 = 1
    1.50 = 1.5
    etc.

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    I use the uwell crown with the .5 coils and vape mtl with it. I just close its airflow as far as it goes without being completely shut. As someone above said they also have a 1.2 coil if you want to go above ohm. I don’t have a problem mtl with an .5 coil I just take short drags like with a cigarette and it gives a nice warm vape. Plus I get a lot of vaper which was key for me as it replicated a cigarette as close as possible with nice throat feel and a kick of that sweet, sweet nicotine we all love and crave. Good luck to you in whatever you decide on.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread