• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

music

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have a somewhat mistrustful view of Christian contemporary ever since high school. I went to a Lutheran high school in North Dakota back in the 80s. Christian contemporary was touted by the school as being free of nefarious influences. This struck me as reasonable at the time. The problem was the biggest star of the genre at the time (some woman who’s name I forget) was interviewed on television where she basically echoed these beliefs and said that it was not critical that she write devotional music, but merely that her music was clean, and that she would be fine writing a song about her dog or something.
This threwthe Christian community into a furor and she was promptlyblack listed.
What this said to me was that the claim of musical wholesomeness was and had always been a lie. What was important was that it was devotional music that pushed their brand and that’s all they really cared about.

To this day while I still appreciate devotional music I no longer pretend that there is anything but what it is. Devotional music is fine. But IMHO listening to nothing else is likely at least as unhealthy to the soul as not listening to it at all

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    That may have been Amy Grant and I believe there was more to the story, always is, right?
    I grew up a rock n roller so I do listen to other types of music also. I think that it's mostly a nostalgia thing now, my heart is not in it like it once was. Wouldn't doubt that most of my fellow church goers do also.
    Tx for popping by, it's been a bit lonely in here of late.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    That may have been Amy Grant and I believe there was more to the story, always is, right?
    I grew up a rock n roller so I do listen to other types of music also. I think that it's mostly a nostalgia thing now, my heart is not in it like it once was. Wouldn't doubt that most of my fellow church goers do also.
    Tx for popping by, it's been a bit lonely in here of late.
    Might have been Amy grant. I’m not familiar with this more you speak of but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. I think a google is in order for me. It sort of annoys me that devotional music is such a segregated genre. If you do devotional music you can’t do anything else and visa versa. This didn’t used to be the case. Most of the great classical masters did devotional along with other stuff and it wasn’t thought I’ll of. Some of what are considered to be the greatest classical pieces of history are devotional.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread