My bf finds my vaping irritating, but is fine with smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Is he afraid of disco fog as well?

There is a very tiny microscopic chance that he really has a physical problem with the clouds, but that's like 1:100 000. If that's the case then there's not much you can do apart from not vaping in his face.
If he's ok with disco fog then this is just an act to get you to stop vaping in his presence and I wouldn't recommend giving in to that, it's not a good thing to have in a relationship.

It's in his own responsibility to fight his irrational fears, in the end nobody can take that from him but himself.
He has to go and look at research regarding vapor and the ingredients for himself.
E-cigarette Research

Some smokers tend to be particularly unwilling to admit vaping is safe because it shines a bad light on their habit or they think it screams "you have to quit" in their faces.
Tell him you don't mind if he doesn't vape but he should be able to tolerate you vaping and not act like a little bish when he sees a toot of vapor. Vapor hasn't killed or hospitalized anyone and there is no indication it ever will.
You can meet half way and not use flavors he finds particularly annoying but starting to smoke isn't an option.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    All of us men try to get away with what we can. Often it's unconscious. We often will respond well to a slap upside the head to reset our parameters. Slap upside's the head come in many forms. Most of us are simple enough to figure that out easily.

Last edited:

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
    U.K.
    He says disco fog didn't irritate his throat but he still didn't like it. I'm using an arc mini but he was equally bothered by my little cigalikes and they didn't produce much vapour at all.

I'm going to ask him to come with me to the vape shop tomorrow. They say it's 'try before you buy' on as many flavours as you want to sample. Maybe there will be one that doesn't annoy him, and he might be happier if he gets to choose. If not, I'll try unflavoured. If that still bothers him, I'll get an air purifier. I do think some of his complaints are just because it's new (to him) and over time, he'll accept it more. Hopefully!

Dumping him isn't an option. I know it's wrong to say this but I'd rather take the health risks of smoking than lose him.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Dumping him isn't an option. I know it's wrong to say this but I'd rather take the health risks of smoking than lose him.
    My ex got remarried and was having major issues with her new husband. My teenage daughter said why don't you leave him? She replied, "Your not a real woman unless you have a man."

:blink::shock: When my daughter told me this, I had to stop the car and have a talk with my daughter. "You don't believe that, do you?" My daughter said no, her mother was nuts.

jdy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I feel like your guy only cares for himself, or at least has some serious issues expressing his caring. You can go unflavored, if he still doesn't seem to get satisfied, dump him. (I wouldn't give up on flavor just because he can't stand anyways, there is no possible way he likes the smell of cigs more than your juice's)
    Though,
    View attachment 722209

I agree I wouldn't give up flavor for someone else, but she says she only see's him on the weekend and could have two set ups. One with the flavor of her choice and one set up unflavored for while he is around. Just a thought!!;)

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Agreed on the possible PG sensitivity. Since you are only with him on weekends, then you could use unflavored VG with nicotine and see if he does better.

I really feel for you. Even though my husband is dual using, he doesn't like the smell of my vape. IDK if it's just the flavorings (he uses tobacco, I use anything BUT tobacco). But, I think that the best outcome might be for you BOTH to agree to smoke/vape outside although I understand it's an annoyance.

Me and the husband have found ways to make it work. I don't love how he smells after smoking, but I don't get on his case about it, and he usually doesn't get on mine. We both agreed that we weren't going to try and force each other to do anything, really. In my eyes, that isn't how a relationship works. An air purifier is also cheaper than continuing to damage your health with cigarettes. But maybe you need to "zone" places, and that zoning then needs to apply to BOTH of you.

Best o f luck,

Anna

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    I agree with @Opinionated.

Both go outside to vape and/or smoke.
    Issue is done.

Either he’ll change his tune and now ‘vaping isn’t that bad’ or he’ll be happy to make the change.

Also, you can start sneaking into the toilet to vape in your own house.
    Vape on :vapor:

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    @Ripply

Does your boyfriend behave the same way around other vapers?
    Would he wave his hands and hold his nose if you had a guest who wanted to vape.

If they ask to vape in your house would he say ‘no, I’d like you to go outside?’

What about when you get those guys vaping in the pub. Is he still the same?

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    PG sensitivity can't be the issue when he's complaining about 100% VG vapor (look at the 1st post).
    From the looks of it it sure seems more like a psychological phenomenon to me (all the anxiousness about vaping) than a physical one.

Air "cleaners" don't do jack unless you get a real one (like a range hood or an industrial one and that's quite expensive and loud) they're just built to make you waste your money.

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
    U.K.
    He goes to the pub but he says he's never noticed anything there. His friends smoke and none of them vape but I know he wouldn't ask guests to go outside. It's different with me since I'm with him more often. I would never ask him to go outside to smoke and I think if I start going outside to vape, it'll become yet another problem with it.

It isn't a PG allergy. I've already tried pure VG and he still found it irritating.

• Optimistic

jdy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    He goes to the pub but he says he's never noticed anything there. His friends smoke and none of them vape but I know he wouldn't ask guests to go outside. It's different with me since I'm with him more often. I would never ask him to go outside to smoke and I think if I start going outside to vape, it'll become yet another problem with it.

It isn't a PG allergy. I've already tried pure VG and he still found it irritating.

MAYBE the smell is all a cover and the real issue is deeper like he and his friends have had conversations about someone who "Vapes" and it is laughed at between them so he doesn't want to cave in and suffer their retribution. JUST an off the wall example but it could be a deeper issue.......

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
    U.K.
    I wonder if perhaps your BF feels threatened by your vaping. He smokes, and may prefer that you do too so he doesn't have to look at his own habit and how it may be harming his health?

He knows I would never bother him about smoking or start suggesting he should quit. It's hard to find out what he really feels about vaping because he doesn't seem to like discussing it and gets a bit grumpy. He just says it's irritating his throat.

• Informative

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    I don’t know about this one. Difficult.
    If it’s only slightly irritating him, perhaps you should just carry on and he should just take it on the chin?

Im not a doctor and only you can read enough to find out.
    We’re both in U.K.
    Didn’t phe release another update talking about how safe vaping is?
    I haven’t looked into it so perhaps you should.

Decide whether he is just being over the top, has an actual physical reason, is just being annoying (like many) or just doesn’t understand.

If public health england are correct, then is his company actually worth more than your health?

Only you can read enough, decide and answer that one.

Best of luck

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    He just says it's irritating his throat.
    Is it really? I mean does he cough, harrumph, drink water or show any other symptoms?
    VG isn't an irritant and he should be used to nicotine.
    he doesn't seem to like discussing it and gets a bit grumpy
    Yeah, it's hard to find the right tone or situation to make it less serious.
    Maybe, I don't know, vape in your underwear and see if he complains? :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread