Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
I don't want to sound like the bad guy here, and admittedly I haven't read the entire thread, but I think putting ourselves in confrontational situations by stealth vaping indoors etc. is not helping our cause at all.

We need to realize that non-smokers obviously think differently about these devices than we do. I've had so many non-smokers say things like "why don't you just quit?" - they do not realize the challenge of addiction as well as we do. Also, I don't think it really matters if it looks like a cigarette at all - it is emitting vapor which we are slightly educated on, but vapor that many others have no clue about in terms of content etc. I respect this and don't want to put anyone in a position to be uncomfortable, when I can just as easily step out the door and vape away.

With the way things are going, we need as many people on our side as possible. This will not be achieved by pushing the boundaries with our vaping. We have to accept that others, whether through ignorance or just plain lack of knowledge, may not accept these devices immediately.

I think the best thing to do, and I hate to be saying this, is to treat vaping like smoking. Stick to areas where it is allowed (not saying you need to vape right next to smokers), and allow inquiring minds to ask questions and answer as best you can. This will portray a vaping community that is respectful of all others, which is what we need. Let the non-smokers notice as they walk past that you are not emitting smoke, perhaps their curiosity will strike a conversation and support for the "ecig". If not, we have not blown it in their face so to speak.

I think if we can vape in an unobtrusive manner, we will earn the respect of the majority and it will bode well for the future of vaping in general. We need to take one for the team, to protect vaping for ourselves and the many others that can use this to quit smoking analogs in the future.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

I want to say that I totally respect your opinion, but I also disagree with you at the same time. I was always a courteous smoker and thus I am a courteous vaper. I use common sense and only vape where and when I know I am not going to cause a disruption but at the same time I'm not going to hide in a corner with smokers when I don't have to (and I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke anymore). Everywhere that I do vape I have spoken with and demonstrated for each manager/owner who has no objection to me using my PV in their establishment.

I will also say that there are many times when I have and will stealth vape, half-hoping that someone will question what I am doing so I can explain and demonstrate for them as well. We are all like pioneers with our PV's and it is up to us to raise public awareness of them but in the right way at the right time and places.

Again, I fully respect your opinion, but I feel we need to vape more openly and with a certain level of assertion in the right way.

:thumb:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
a cigarette will not cause an explosion of gasoline. don't believe what you see in the movies. I know that if you throw a cigarette in a puddle of gas in a relatively open area the gas will put the lit cig out (and yes i have tried it). the concentration of gas required to set off an explosion in PPM is quite large. an actual burning flame (like a match) can do it because it is already burning. i am not saying gasoline is safe, just that a burning cigarette is safer than you might think around gas vapor. unless your VP shoots sparks(which will cause gas to ignite) i doubt the e-cig/VP would be ANY problem.

My dad thought the same thing and nearly killed himself when he was eighteen, He threw a lit cigarette into a bucket of gas to prove his point and it blew up in his face.Luckily he only got second degree burns, with no permanent scars.Hard lesson to learn though and I can tell you for a fact that the above post isnt true.

crashinbrn

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
south-east Texas
CRASHINBRN.NET
My dad thought the same thing and nearly killed himself when he was eighteen, He threw a lit cigarette into a bucket of gas to prove his point and it blew up in his face.Luckily he only got second degree burns, with no permanent scars.Hard lesson to learn though and I can tell you for a fact that the above post isnt true.
so sorry he injured himself. and i mean no disrespect when i say this, a lit cigarette needs help to ignite gas vapor. the coal on the end is not hot enough by itself to set it off. for example you said he threw it in a bucket. i have to ask did it hit the side of the bucket before it hit the liquid gas? IF it hits the side of the bucket and threw sparks then yea.....boom. gasoline can be dangerous. it must be treated with respect and common sense. i have worked in the automotive field for more than 30 years as a technician. ASE master certified for 20 of those. i stand by my original statement.

apologies for going so far OT.

oldschool1968

Mar 12, 2010
ohio
So im in the local post office ,.. " ya can see it coming right"

long line for some reason and need a smoke so out comes the red dragon .
i get a few really daggers in eyes looks and the person at the counter gets a wtf from an old lady about me.
i smile and say it's ok ,..its NOT a cigarette , its a stop smoking aid this is just water vapor, not smoke.
the counter lady breaks a smile and wants to see it , i show it to her and she says thats its fine to use it in there,.. however the old lady who complained goes ballistic and says she will sue the post office for endangering her life !
she just cant get her head around the fact thats it is not a regular cigarette,..
outcome:
call me a jerk but i refused to put it away based on somebody's ignorance.
the loud lady was asked to leave and come back later , when it was my turn at the counter the clerk asked me where she could get e-cigs

" you can take my transfats , and ruin mcdonalds french fries , but ya can't touch my red dragon "

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
so sorry he injured himself. and i mean no disrespect when i say this, a lit cigarette needs help to ignite gas vapor. the coal on the end is not hot enough by itself to set it off. for example you said he threw it in a bucket. i have to ask did it hit the side of the bucket before it hit the liquid gas? IF it hits the side of the bucket and threw sparks then yea.....boom. gasoline can be dangerous. it must be treated with respect and common sense. i have worked in the automotive field for more than 30 years as a technician. ASE master certified for 20 of those. i stand by my original statement.

apologies for going so far OT.
Ok, just what I learned as a medic, etc. I'm sure as a tech you know this but a lot of people don't and I think this may be what happened, (which is sad no matter what method it was). What ignites is the vapor of the gas, yes a lit cig can do it. It actually depends on the concentration of the gas vapor that the cig is falling through. Yes, it it makes it to a puddle, without igniting it should go out. Because this happens so quickly, it is very easy to assume that the gas ignites, not the vapor

kurtomiser

Unregistered Supplier
Mar 9, 2010
Chicago
www.vapormountain.com
So im in the local post office ,.. " ya can see it coming right"

long line for some reason and need a smoke so out comes the red dragon .
i get a few really daggers in eyes looks and the person at the counter gets a wtf from an old lady about me.
i smile and say it's ok ,..its NOT a cigarette , its a stop smoking aid this is just water vapor, not smoke.
the counter lady breaks a smile and wants to see it , i show it to her and she says thats its fine to use it in there,.. however the old lady who complained goes ballistic and says she will sue the post office for endangering her life !
she just cant get her head around the fact thats it is not a regular cigarette,..
outcome:
call me a jerk but i refused to put it away based on somebody's ignorance.
the loud lady was asked to leave and come back later , when it was my turn at the counter the clerk asked me where she could get e-cigs

" you can take my transfats , and ruin mcdonalds french fries , but ya can't touch my red dragon "

That lawsuit should bring everything to a head, don't ya think?

KuiHiggins

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Honolulu, HI
I totally disagree with this type of thinking. If we don't do it in public, how in the wrold is the public going to know what it is?:confused:
I totally agree. QFT catwoman, I vape where I want when I want knowing full well that I'll have to do some explaining from time to time.

:evil:Can't wait to try the movie theater.:evil:

KuiHiggins

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Honolulu, HI
In fact, I find that vaping openly is a good way to advertise e-cigs. There are many people out there that really want to quit but can't do it on there own, or some who would like to save a little money while continuing to satisfy their addictions. On top of that, many people out there that don't smoke probably know a friend or relative that does and wants to quit, so after explaining the benefits of the device you pique the interests of people that's passed on by word of mouth. I've only had my e-cigs for 3 weeks now, and already one of my friends has an identical kit, a few co-workers are getting theirs and my grandparents kits are in the mail as we speak. I feel like I positively impact the lives of people whose eyes I open to the world of vaping.

:)

kurtomiser

Unregistered Supplier
Mar 9, 2010
Chicago
www.vapormountain.com
I totally agree. QFT catwoman, I vape where I want when I want knowing full well that I'll have to do some explaining from time to time.

:evil:Can't wait to try the movie theater.:evil:

The problem with vaping at the movie theater is the vapor itself distracting people. Perhaps if you sit in the very last row and there is no one say 5 rows in front of you, than I'de definately try it!

Well i havent bought my own PV yet, but i would assume this will be a really common response. My parents gave me the same response when i asked for one for xmas. Initial reaction was "NO" straight up. I kept sending little covert messages to them which didnt really work. So one day i decided to print out a HUGE stack of papers to my mums printer. Eventually they gave in. Still against the idea (smoking) which is a very close-minded approach, but i did prove my facts using toxology reports and reviews and studies etc. My guess is it'll just take time to grow on the world. The importance is that us smokers/ex-smokers understand these benefeits, a few scowls and the such shan't deterr us from our quest for healthier lives. =) i also would love to be kept updated on your store if you plan to do online sales.

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
So less than an hour ago I was at a sheetz (chain gas station/convenience store around here that makes made-to-order food) waiting for my sub to be finished, and it was taking an unusually long time. Well, let's just say I got bored and decided to stealth vape, more than 10 feet from other customers, discreetly palming my volcano while I waited. Well, I ran into an old friend from high school and started talking to her and forgot to maintain stealth mode for less than 30 seconds (two drags I'd guess). I let out a glorious cloud of vapor and a guy walking by said "Are you really doing that in the store?"
My reply was simply (and i was quite polite) "It's electronic, sir. There's no smoke, or smell, what you saw was vapor." He shrugged it off, shook his head and looked irritated.

Now, being that I am starting my own business to retail these products, I am very very interested in public opinion. I was walking past him while he was waiting as I left and I said "Sir, if you don't mind I'm curious as to why you still found it offensive once you knew it wasn't harming or bothering anybody." He said that it didn't matter, and once I very briefly explained that I wished to not offend anyone else with it, he did this cute little waving motion with his hand to shoo me away. He then said something like "We're done talking." I kept my cool but I still said pretty loudly "You really should not be so close-minded about technology that saves peoples' lives." Most of the other customers were really intrigued and their reactions told me they were "on my side."

My roommate thinks he was having a bad day and once he couldn't put his finger in some one's nose he just got defensive. My roommate also can't find any reason what I was doing would be offensive unless he was just so stuck on the fact that it was a cigarette.

Thoughts? I love to hear feedback. I dread another run-in like that. I've explained to 200+ people in Winchester how e-cigs work and have had nothing but praise for quitting smoking and comments about how e-cigs are genius. This was the first (and I pray LAST) bad experience.

You know, sometimes the less sophisticated types are more open to new ideas than the high and mighty ones from those fancy learnin' places. I love Winchester and that isn't intended to insult the folks there. But it is mostly a rural community except for some of the snotty northern VA transplants who choose to move there but still think they're better than those people. Of course, the locals probably don't do as much pearl clutching when it comes to real cigarettes, either. Those elitist knuckleheads think they know it all and no one is going to tell them anything.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Some of the reaction is going to depend on what flavor e-liquid you are vaping. If the vapor you exhale smells like tobacco, it's going to be hard to convince people it isn't. If it smells like peppermint, objecting is a little like objecting to someone sucking on an Altoid.

I understand people being concerned indoors. I rarely vape inside (other than in my home, of course) unless it's in a separate room or if no one is around. Also, if I see someone looking suspicious, I carefully hold my PV between my thumb and forefinger so people can see it. My Chuck has a surrealist painting on it and doesn't exactly look like a cigarette. If given the chance, I explain that the ingredients are propylene glycol — what they make artificial fog out of; glycerine — an ingredient in cosmetics and laxatives; flavoring and optional nicotine. And, because there is no fire and no combustion, there is no smoke. The vapor does not cling and linger the way smoke does and, basically, what they can smell is Apricot Raspberry Cheesecake fog. (At least that's what I'm vaping right now.)

Linda Marie

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2010
Albuquerque
As far as vapinig in public places, I would strongly advise against it.

It's probably ok to, but it' s alarming in the public eye and it will just raise more controversy towards ecigs in general. Now is not the best time to do that since everyone is questioning the safety of ecigs.

I understand you want to smoke in public places, but please don't.

you meant to write vape - not smoke - didn't you? Vape.

So far I've had no problems in Krogers or Meijers, but I vape mostly chocolate based flavors. Movie theater is next on our list... : ) I see no problem with this, as long as your not obnoxious about it. IMO we need more people to raise awareness for those still smoking, & others in general. Because until the government decides to stop taking money from the tobacco lobbyist and start looking into just some of the health benefits, admit they're wrong, & start taxing the hell out of it... I'll take my chances. Just my thoughts : )

Aaeli

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
Kansas, U.S.
I guess I don't understand why it can't wait until you leave the subway line, post office line, grocery store. I understand needing to vape while working an 8 hour day, but I don't understand the need to push the issue on a short trip to the store? No one likes a blitz attack, and that's what it will feel like when you just whip out a "cigarette looking device" that emits "smoke" around unsuspecting people. You can explain to them all you want, but most people aren't going to take medical advice from some dude at Subway, the post office, etc. Not to mention, they're already peeved by that point.

If you want to do it in public, why not ask before you do it? People are going to be much more receptive and willing to listen if we show some courtesy first. I'd rather other people see vapers as considerate, informative, and easy going, not abrasive and demanding. I think that would work better at getting the message out there.

Grifter

Moved On
Dec 11, 2010
Lund, .se
I'm sure you told him that the tiny bit of "antifreeze" stuff found in the one e-cig cartridge came from the nictoine taken out of real tobacco and that his analog has even more antifreeze in it than any PV? :rolleyes:

Well technically, over here at least antifreeze (for use in cars) used polyethylene-glycol, but gas stations have now begun stocking propylene-glycol as their antifreeze because it's safer and more bio-friendly. However they put in additives to prevent metal corrosion and other lovelies so you can't use it to vape with (or really shouldn't at least :p). So technically it is an antifreeze now, or is about to become one. But only because it's the safer kind :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread