My first bad vaping experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
Well for anyone interested in this, I wrote an article on my blog about if E cigs are safe. The bottom line is we dont know for sure. I personally think that they have to be better than smoking and through a non-technical article I try to imply that. Heres the link: Are E-Cigs bad for you? | eCigology

Personally, I try to vape in public places where smoking is acceptable as much as possible. I find a lot of people asking me questions and its generally a great experience. When I do it in places where you cant smoke the effect is almost always bad. We should not do it around non-smokers in places where smoking is banned for a couple reasons... the first is that we really dont know if its harmful. Secondly these people are going to think you are doing drugs or smoking, so their reactions will be bad, no matter what guaranteed.

Redneck500

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Yep, my thoughts are the guy is probably just an A$$_ole ;)

So less than an hour ago I was at a sheetz (chain gas station/convenience store around here that makes made-to-order food) waiting for my sub to be finished, and it was taking an unusually long time. Well, let's just say I got bored and decided to stealth vape, more than 10 feet from other customers, discreetly palming my volcano while I waited. Well, I ran into an old friend from high school and started talking to her and forgot to maintain stealth mode for less than 30 seconds (two drags I'd guess). I let out a glorious cloud of vapor and a guy walking by said "Are you really doing that in the store?"
My reply was simply (and i was quite polite) "It's electronic, sir. There's no smoke, or smell, what you saw was vapor." He shrugged it off, shook his head and looked irritated.

Now, being that I am starting my own business to retail these products, I am very very interested in public opinion. I was walking past him while he was waiting as I left and I said "Sir, if you don't mind I'm curious as to why you still found it offensive once you knew it wasn't harming or bothering anybody." He said that it didn't matter, and once I very briefly explained that I wished to not offend anyone else with it, he did this cute little waving motion with his hand to shoo me away. He then said something like "We're done talking." I kept my cool but I still said pretty loudly "You really should not be so close-minded about technology that saves peoples' lives." Most of the other customers were really intrigued and their reactions told me they were "on my side."

My roommate thinks he was having a bad day and once he couldn't put his finger in some one's nose he just got defensive. My roommate also can't find any reason what I was doing would be offensive unless he was just so stuck on the fact that it was a cigarette.

Thoughts? I love to hear feedback. I dread another run-in like that. I've explained to 200+ people in Winchester how e-cigs work and have had nothing but praise for quitting smoking and comments about how e-cigs are genius. This was the first (and I pray LAST) bad experience.

Jessara

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
SW Oklahoma
Your not Smoking, your "Vaping", take it from a pack and a half man, just waiting to start "Vaping". as for Public Opinion, it will only continue to worsen against smokers.

I personally, once "Vaping" will not do so indoors until some major research is done that lets us know whats in the vapor. is there a such thing as 2nd hand nicotine vapor??? Would be nice to Vape in a bar though <sigh>...

I wasn't going to hit reply until I read through every page here, but I became impatient when I saw this post. Please educate yourselves, folks! There HAVE been studies on the effects of PG vapor being inhaled.

One such study was conducted by a Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson back in the early 1940's (pretty sure the study began in 1942). The study was actually to see if PG (propylene glycerol) vapors introduced into the air in closed places (such as theaters) would prevent the spread of Pneumonia and Influenza. Whether or not they proved it to work against these illnesses is not really *our* concern (tho it is interesting). We are more concerned with the results of this study relating to "does inhalation of PG vapor cause any harm to the human body". The results of this study were posted (I believe) in 1947 and it was concluded that even when LARGE doses of PG vapor was introduced and continuously fed into the air supply of their test subjects for over a year, they found absolutely *no* ill effects.

There have also been other studies done on the inhalation of PG vapors by humans, which have all concluded the same thing. It was studied because firefighters use it to simulate smoke during their exercises, and it is also used during rock concerts and the like in their "foggers".

As for your concern about second-hand "nicotine vapor" - please consider this: The small amount of nicotine that we actually inhale per "puff" is quickly absorbed into our mouths all the way down to our lungs. Although I have personally seen no specific study done concerning this, I can only make a somewhat educated-guess that because most (if not all) of the nicotine is absorbed when we inhale it, I seriously doubt any (or a very tiny amount at most) is expelled when we exhale our vapor.

Another food for thought here: Remember, it was not the nicotine that was killing us as smokers. It was the tar and countless other chemicals in tobacco that was. Is nicotine *completely* safe - I seriously doubt it, but hell, even milk isn't 100% safe for our bodies either.

Jessara

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
SW Oklahoma
Okay, now that I *have* read through all the posts in this thread, here is my 2 cents:

First to the OP: You later posted in this thread that in retrospect, you realized what you did was probably not the best course of action. Good 'nuff for me, nothing more needs to be said there.

On to my NSHO... I personally feel that until it's made into law that I can't vape wherever I choose to, I still hold the right to do so. But having the right to do so and actually doing so "just because I can" are two different matters. As someone else here said I have no reason to hit my pv inside the grocery store. I smokde for almost 27 years and actually remember a time when you *could* smoke in grocery stores (and everywhere else for that matter), but as more laws were put into place since those days, I've come to accept it's not the place for it and somehow that has wrapped itself around my brain and I have absolutely no desire to smoke in places like that. Again, just because I *can* (at least for now), doesn't mean I *need* to.

However, I won't go as far as to say I'll never vape inside a business establishment. I have nothing against that. I just choose not to because I'm pretty sure I can go 30 min or even an hour without vaping. It's not out of "consideration of others" (although I am generally a considerate person), it's just that do I REALLLLLY need to vape inside that store?? Now if I am doing some serious shopping and suddenly have a full-fledged nic-fit, then yeah, I'll pull out my 510 and openly take a drag (non-stealth), get a little shot of nic, and tuck it back away where I got it from. I'm not going to puff out great big plumes of vapor as I walk down each aisle perusing the shelves. Why not? Just seems silly to me and it would seem to send the message - hey look at me! Aren't I cool "smoking" in public, hahahahahaha!

Of all the posters in this thread, I think it's (uh oh, forgot the exact name) shortstuff? I like your attitude and I like how ya express it. I also like the way you *ask* those businesses you frequent if they have a problem with it - and most of all you respect their right to say "yes" or "no".

I'm not going to sit here on a pedestal and tell others what they (or "we") should or shouldn't do. Make up your own minds, be mature in your decisions, and deal with the consequences either good or bad.

So in short summary: I'll probably not vape much inside businesses, but if I need to get that quick fix, I will go for it and deal with the consequences of my action. I'm just not going to run out everywhere I go and start vaping away in all the places I could never smoke just because there's no law saying I can't (yet).

Here's kind of a funny thought I just had.... All of this reminds me of basic animal behavior.

Have you ever seen an animal that has been caged for years (if not it's whole life), suddenly released into the wild, or a very wide-open space? They generally react in three different ways:

1) They cower in the corner of the cage, terrified to leave it's security
- This would be the "omg I'd never vape anywhere you can't smoke" people.

2) They hover around the cage opening for awhile, then ever-so-slowly step out and stand there, dazed for awhile before venturing forward
- This is the "I'll stealth-vape in public places" people.

3) They shoot like a rocket out the gate and never look back
- This the "I'll vape wherever I want, whenever I want because there is *nothing* holding me back now!" people.

zapper

Dec 12, 2010
UK
Ok, my two cents. Don't vape where smoking is prohibited, uness you can totally steath vape with the utmost of discretion, then use the higher mg so you can be satisfied quickly and not offend. We do want to represent in the utmost of politeness. One of the 14 patents that Hon Lik of Hong Kong holds names the device as the atomising emulsion sucker (or very similar to that, I did not confirm that exact name for this posting). If we we want to promote and secure the future of the atomiser, let us not be cantankerous. I wonder if the e-cigarette is just slang for the device. I read somewhere and I agree: let's get away from drung terms like"cutting" the liquid. Diluting or mixing are more socially acceptable words. Maybe we can dress in suits or fancier clothes when we make our videos.
Also, water vapor comes from water. We are expelling nicotine into the air. Although it is not carcinogenic nor smelly, it is addictive nicotine. If I were to be a non-smoker, I would not want to be exposed to addictive nicotine second handedly. I am happy enough that my family accepts my indoor vaping. At work, I go to the restroom, or go outside, but mosty I do stealth vape at work and I steath vape on public transportation. When in public outdoors, I vape proudly. Again, if I must stealth vape, I use the higher mg so as to satisfy myself more quickly. In my car I proudly vape to my hearts content. Also, I have not been approached at all, conversely, I approach others who are smoking analogs and show them what I am doing with great excitement. Their response has been one of intrigue and hope. Tread lightly my fellow vapors.

What you've said seems a bit contradictory. First of all you're not sure what's in the 'vapour' then you will stealth vape at work and on public transport. You then mention that you use the higher mg of nicotine to satisfy - but surely if there's any danger with this vapour the higher concentration is more dangerous?

CBiz

Nov 26, 2010
Seattle
I've read every post, so I'll take a turn now.

To each their own. If you want to vape in a store or theatre then I'm pretty sure you're also prepared to answer questions from inquisitive minds. On the flip side you're opening yourself up to some hostility as well. If you're willing for both reactions then vape on.

To those who don't vape in public or stealth vape, I completely understand. Whether it's common courtesy or the desire to not draw attention to yourself, I can't blame you.

There isn't really a correct answer to it all. No right or wrong. I hope those who vape openly in public are acting as advocates rather than reacting defensivily when confronted. Vaping in public won't give PV's a bad name but it's the people using them that could.

BenP

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2010
London UK
www;uk-eliquid.co.uk
Another food for thought here: Remember, it was not the nicotine that was killing us as smokers. It was the tar and countless other chemicals in tobacco that was. Is nicotine *completely* safe - I seriously doubt it, but hell, even milk isn't 100% safe for our bodies either.

Lets not forget the amount of crap that society as a whole breath in every day from car exhausts. And there worried about a couple of MG of nicotine at most, if any!

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
During my first month or two of vaping, I couldn't go longer than 10 minutes without a vape. I was scared that my body would go into nicotine withdrawls if I didn't get my hourly's fix. I went shopping (stores bring on the worst stress!) and discovered I could comfortably stealth vape and actually stay to shop instead of my usual grab one thing and run outside for my much needed cig. Being comfortable, I shopped for over an hour in this Dollar Store and well, I guess I got a little less stealthy with each comfortable vape because I heard loud footsteps stomping towards me. His eyes were glaring evil daggers right at me, his face was squenched with hatred and anger, his chest was puffed out with arrogance and his fists were clenched as tight as his teeth. I thought sure I was a gonner and proceeded to chew nervously on the end of my eGo. The guy stopped not 3' away from me, stared at my pen chewing, dropped his jaw, relaxed his shoulders, teeth and fists ... shook his head in self dismay for seeing things, and turned quietly back to his post. To this day I bet that guy still swears he saw me smoking, not chewing an ink pen! Gawd I love my eGo!!

Last edited:

Linda Marie

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2010
Albuquerque
exactly -- no correct answer.
common courtesy is right for now
the gov will try to tax nic liquid, i refuse to name - write - call it juice - sounds too druggie - liquid not juice.
i vape in only open spaces when outside of my house. we need to be careful not to annoy the PC police until more people are educated about nic -liquid.

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
If you use an e-cig that isn't white and doesn't have a glowing red LED on the end and you don't have visible body jewelry or tattoos and you're over fifty and accustomed to manipulating people, you can get away with it pretty much anywhere.

If you're young, look edgy and are visibly afraid of strangers, you can get arrested for eating a chicken sandwich.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
If you use an e-cig that isn't white and doesn't have a glowing red LED on the end and you don't have visible body jewelry or tattoos and you're over fifty and accustomed to manipulating people, you can get away with it pretty much anywhere.

If you're young, look edgy and are visibly afraid of strangers, you can get arrested for eating a chicken sandwich.

LOL ! Sad but true in some jurisdictions.

sweetblackkitten

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2011
indiana
i think we may have a hard time with former smokers who have quit and are jealous that we found something better without having to give up nicotine.

whenever i would make it a while without an analog, anybody smoking an analog would piss me off. now if i had quit and always still wanted to smoke, and i saw a vaper and learned of it, i would be really furious!! it would be like, "i quit and now they have this?"

i quit drinking almost 4 years ago. and the fact that ppl are about to be able to buy booze on sundays here irritates me, so does the fact that they can buy booze in the gas station now.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Public conditioning and education is key to acceptance. There are people who hate anything that resembles a cigarette because a family member succumbed to cancer or emphysema from smoking. Anytime they see smoke or vapor they are reminded of their loved one.

No one would care if you were chewing Nicorette gum or chewing tobacco (as long as you didn't spit on the floor). Ironically, the reason the E-cig works is because it satisfies the look and feel of smoking. I think if we included a comment that Ecigs have an 87% quit rate compared to nicotine gum's 7% quit rate and say, "This electronic nicotine delivery device is helping me to quit smoking tobacco. There's no smoke, only vapor and tests have shown that there's no nicotine or harmful byproducts in the vapor".

If everyone cheerfully professed the benefits of vaping, we would eventually penetrate the minds of those who look at Ecigs as just another kind of cigarette and we would eventually change the view on Ecigs.

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
i think we may have a hard time with former smokers who have quit and are jealous that we found something better without having to give up nicotine.

whenever i would make it a while without an analog, anybody smoking an analog would piss me off. now if i had quit and always still wanted to smoke, and i saw a vaper and learned of it, i would be really furious!! it would be like, "i quit and now they have this?"

i quit drinking almost 4 years ago. and the fact that ppl are about to be able to buy booze on sundays here irritates me, so does the fact that they can buy booze in the gas station now.

What's so irritating about buying booze on Sunday? How is it any different from buying it on Saturday and getting hammered on Sunday?

Maybe this whole thing has more to do with the term "quit" in the sense that it somehow implies that the activity is missed. I lived overseas and it was not uncommon to go out drinking at age 15. Actually, we made sure we did it almost every weekend. About 2 years ago, I decided alcohol was not longer for me. I choose to no longer participate and have never, ever missed or nostalgically looked back. The buzz and lack of clarity it creates is no longer desired.

This probably has more to do with a healthy mental transition. Drinking, vaping or otherwise.

MrByte

Moved On
Jan 24, 2011
Earth
I don't remember now, after reading the entire thread, who called it their "Cancer meds" but I'm probably going to adopt that approach for the anti's.

"This is my anti-cancer inhaler. This is not smoke, and I'm not a smoker."

Because 1. Close-minded people will not be swayed by anything I say and 2. I'm sick of feeling shamed by same.

If I get a little payback because I will be shaming them for daring to interrupt my "medication" so be it.

If they ask politely what it is, I will tell them it's an e-cig or a PV, but the snarled "You're SMOKING" queries will get the anti-cancer response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread