My Personal Vaping Evolution, in case it helps anyone . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been an on again off again smoker for the last 10 years. Prior to that, just a smoker for 10 years. By the time I decided to try vaping, I was just chewing gum, and smoking occasionally with friends while drinking. I always seemed to want the sensation of the inhale.

My first purchase:
So, searching on the web, I was overwhelmed with all of the terminology and equipment, so I bought something simple, the V2 battery and the disposable carts. Surprisingly good, I thought. Quickly, these became unsatisfactory due to the easy way they burned and ruined the flavor. Also, they just seemed too expensive for the little bit you got out of them.

My second purchase:
So, I started reading the forums and looking at YouTube videos. It seemed to me that most people were pretty satisfied with some sort of "mod" or other. They take a variety of delivery devices, some have variable voltage, so I thought this would be a pretty good idea in that it would allow me the flexibility to try different methods and find something I can live with. So, I bought the LavaTube from Volcano, a nice shiny silvery chrome edition. I bought it with an atomizer and a tank system with a cartomizer inside.

This seemed pretty good, I liked it a lot more than the V2s, but it was at this point I started to understand some of the downsides of this setup. My list would be: burnt wick, leaking, plastic flavor, voltage tapering off slowly before the battery died, etc. I tried a variety of deliver devices such as the Vivi Nova (and the mini), Atom Bomb, Eternity Vision Rebuildable, and a couple others not worth mentioning. The Vivi Novas are easy, pretty clean flavor, but they can burn, and not as clean as the steel mesh wick styles. Atom Bomb is pretty clean, but it gets gummed up pretty easily, and has to be rebuilt more often than others I've tried. The Eternity Vision is just weird. It only holds maybe 1ml, it isn't see through, so I'm constantly overfilling it, so my vape sounds like I've got snot it my nose. But it tastes good and it's pretty low maintenance.

Every iteration has it's own special sort of leak problems.

My third purchase:
I looked around some more, and found an interesting clearomizer/cartomizer type device from smokeless image that fits the V2. I used those, and thought they were great. A little tough to fill, didn't hold a lot of fluid, but tasted great. Nicely, they don't leak at all.

My fourth purchase:
I bought the Provari Provape 2 to eliminate the voltage taper issue with the LavaTube. Basically, like most people, I prefer the Provari.

I've struggled with a variety of delivery systems (atomizers, cartomizers, rebuildables, etc). Still searching for the easy maintenance, all day vape that doesn't leak.

Eventually, I did buy the ZAP made for the Provari. It has very clean flavor, doesn't seem to get gummed up as much, only leaks if you tip it for too long and it's very well made. It's my favorite these days, but not as convenient as say the V2s with the CE3's, I think that's what they are called. The CE3's taste almost as good even. But I like the hit you can get from the ZAP.

Last Purchases:
In search of better flavor, I've started mixing my own juices. I've had good luck with a few flavors, but it really is a trial and error sort of thing. Once you find the ones you like, you can even mix the final products together and get something like strawberry Belgian Waffle. Mostly, I vape to get the best flavor I can, and mixing my own has helped with that.

So that's where I am now. I hope that helps anyone out there shopping around for things to try. Ultimately, a quality variable voltage device is nice, because it can be used with almost any kind of delivery device. It's great for trying different things.

If anyone has any advice about other things to try, I'm open to trying some new things, and I'd appreciate the input.

tmhawk

Dec 30, 2012
Southaven
You know, it always seems like we just keep buying more stuff! I've kinda been through the same experience as you: started with the Blu, had to buy a mod after seeing the reviews, then went to a 901 for a lighter ecig, and now I'm back to the 808. The mod is great, but being as woman, it really bothered me to 'smoke' something like a cigar or not to be able to hold it between my fingers. Even at home! I think that's part of the pleasure of it for me. The 901's were great, but not quite the kick of the 280's. Settled with the KR808D-1's- really like them for the moment and hope that lasts awhile. I don't need to spend anymore $s! I did get some nanos to pair them with- easy fill and last a lot longer than the carts.

Itsatushie

Dec 31, 2012
A, A
wonderful info. I have the eGo T. It is my first.

I was thinking of getting a bigger variable unit at some point for at home. I do kinda miss the smallness of a cigarette. I am a chick as well. But I want to be able to refill I want parts to last as long as possible.

The ego does get a tiny bit leaky at times but I found that cleaning tanks and using a clean one every 3-4 fills helps alot.

tmhawk

Dec 30, 2012
Southaven
I just got a couple of nanos with my last order at Volt; I really like them. No muss, no fuss, fill in a flash. Plus, they still look good on the 'cigarette'. I have heard a couple of complaints, however, and there's something called a 'tiny' that sounds similar, although that too has given a couple of people problems. I don't know, I like them.
wonderful info. I have the eGo T. It is my first.

I was thinking of getting a bigger variable unit at some point for at home. I do kinda miss the smallness of a cigarette. I am a chick as well. But I want to be able to refill I want parts to last as long as possible.

The ego does get a tiny bit leaky at times but I found that cleaning tanks and using a clean one every 3-4 fills helps alot.

Doglips

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2012
Cocoa Fl
I feel I need to frame this post...I was a very heavy smoker...I say 3 my wife things closer to 4 packs a day...chain smoker...and vape the same way....

I started off with the who knows what brand of automatic e-smokes the batteries lasted an hour or so and the taste was barely tolerable at best. I had so many problems with them dropping dead, no power, no taste, just frustrating POS.

When I came back I found a in hind site way over priced supplier... tried the ego....cartridges ..then the little ego not really a true tank..held 1 or 2ml was getting a little frustrated with quality of the batteries and the cost....I got in to the DIY juice and then stumbled around to find cheaper nicotine and flavors. In the process found a few sites with “mods”....

I'm cheap, and in vapeing this can be a bad thing.

I picked up some el-cheap oh mods...some $10 box mods.....and since I'm always dropping stuff...they lasted a few days...maybe a week...I upped my spending..and some times picked up a pack of smokes to hold me over till I got home to my back up back up PV. I finally was about to give up...this was getting way to freaking expensive buy cheap mods every week..and different batteries, and carts and what ever shinny seemed to be the cool thing..

I finally got a expensive (initial cost) PV...that did not break in a few days...and by now sorted out what batteries I like, what Ohm carts work for me with a 3.7V or bad word here..stacked battery set up.

I think the biggest lesson I’ve learned from this adventure...buy a good PV, pay a little more up front..and save a lot of $$ and hassles. Find what you like...and yes try new things, but keep the stand by stuff at hand incase.

Flavors for me I spent a few months looking for tobacco flavors....I smoked filtered cigars...so kept looking for strong tobacco taste...but would try different flavors. I now prefer the peppermint, cinnamon and citrus flavors...I would have laughed if someone offered me a peppermint analog......but just turned out to be what I like.

I cant for now figure out what why people are going wild over RBA’s....seems like a lot of work ... like were making it more complicated than it needs to be...but who knows next month I might be ordering 300ft of wire and all natural hemp SS mesh that was made by elves.

Some times I think we make this whole new way of getting our nicotine, a lot more complicated than it needs to be, and for us beginners, that can lead to frustration, and frustration lead back to the burning smokes.

Last edited:

Thomasis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
Somewhere on top of the world
I think the e cig trend is still in it's infancy and this is why alot of us spend as much as we do. I look at it as a positive though because there are a ton of reviews on just about everything coming to market right here in one place, ECF. It's very exciting just to think about what 2013 will bring us, new pv's, tanks, rba, juices.....What I would suggest to you is to make a log throughout the day and record your highs and lows you experience and then take your notes and do specific searches here. This is what I did, I logged EVERYTHING down for about 3 days and took all the things I didn't like and all the things I did like and tackled the "what to try and what not to try" based on my search results. I purchased items that worked well for the general population on ECF and passed up things that were spotty. I'm still in the testing phase of things but I do have pv's, juice strengths, and tanks/cartos/rbas that take care of my cravings at any given moment of the day. As an example, I know I need higher nic in the morning and quite a bit of it for the drive to work so I have a Vivi Nova that won't leak while I'm driving loaded with 24mg juice. I know I'm starting to ramble on now, but the more detailed you get with your individual problems you incur throught the day, the smarter you purchasing decisions will get and the more successful you will become.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck!!

tmhawk

Dec 30, 2012
Southaven
I agree. It can all be way too much hassle.
I feel I need to frame this post...I was a very heavy smoker...I say 3 my wife things closer to 4 packs a day...chain smoker...and vape the same way....

I started off with the who knows what brand of automatic e-smokes the batteries lasted an hour or so and the taste was barely tolerable at best. I had so many problems with them dropping dead, no power, no taste, just frustrating POS.

When I came back I found a in hind site way over priced supplier... tried the ego....cartridges ..then the little ego not really a true tank..held 1 or 2ml was getting a little frustrated with quality of the batteries and the cost....I got in to the DIY juice and then stumbled around to find cheaper nicotine and flavors. In the process found a few sites with “mods”....

I'm cheap, and in vapeing this can be a bad thing.

I picked up some el-cheap oh mods...some $10 box mods.....and since I'm always dropping stuff...they lasted a few days...maybe a week...I upped my spending..and some times picked up a pack of smokes to hold me over till I got home to my back up back up PV. I finally was about to give up...this was getting way to freaking expensive buy cheap mods every week..and different batteries, and carts and what ever shinny seemed to be the cool thing..

I finally got a expensive (initial cost) PV...that did not break in a few days...and by now sorted out what batteries I like, what Ohm carts work for me with a 3.7V or bad word here..stacked battery set up.

I think the biggest lesson I’ve learned from this adventure...buy a good PV, pay a little more up front..and save a lot of $$ and hassles. Find what you like...and yes try new things, but keep the stand by stuff at hand incase.

Flavors for me I spent a few months looking for tobacco flavors....I smoked filtered cigars...so kept looking for strong tobacco taste...but would try different flavors. I now prefer the peppermint, cinnamon and citrus flavors...I would have laughed if someone offered me a peppermint analog......but just turned out to be what I like.

I cant for now figure out what why people are going wild over RBA’s....seems like a lot of work ... like were making it more complicated than it needs to be...but who knows next month I might be ordering 300ft of wire and all natural hemp SS mesh that was made by elves.

Some times I think we make this whole new way of getting our nicotine, a lot more complicated than it needs to be, and for us beginners, that can lead to frustration, and frustration lead back to the burning smokes.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I think alot of us here have been through the same scenario. I know for me, I went from Green Smoke (I did actually like for a while) to V2. Next I purchaced several Ego Batts. Finally, I am on my third Provari(total love affair). Same was the case with carto's juice companys etc...
After spending more on vaping than I did on smoking, I am looking forward to maybe saving a little bit of money now. I have Definately found my "perfect setup". If I could do it all over, I would have liked to buy a good P.V. from the begining. The rest couldnt really be changed. Live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread