My thoughts about sub-ohm and latest VV/VW devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
USA
Very, very good explanation of how it all works rusirius and IMO completely correct :thumb:

Bookmarked for anyone I come across in future who wants to get a handle on it. I suggest this get stickied in the appropriate sub-forum.

I think it should be stickied in the new user forum. Too many new vapers are drinking the KoolAid without a clue.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I think it should be stickied in the new user forum. Too many new vapers are drinking the KoolAid without a clue.

IMO it may be a bit too much detail for our typical new vapers to absorb. But hey, I've been wrong before ;).

Hopefully more people will give their opinion about this.

ETA: The APV Discussion sub-forum has a sticky thread; So what IS high voltage vaping all about?

My first thought was 'Ya right, who ever read that', but it has had 71,562 views. That's not too shabby and that could be a good spot for this thread too.

Last edited:

wonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
USA
IMO it may be a bit too much detail for our typical new vapers to absorb....

I am constantly surprised at the number of posts in that forum about sub-ohming and mech mods.

For that matter, look around anywhere here at ECF and as soon as someone talks about taking their vaping to the next level, the mech boys and sub-ohmers are ready to offer their expertise. :)

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Lol seems like basic thermodynamics and ohms law should be mandatory for vapers of any kind. A basic understanding of superheat would make it so noone ever asks a question about "why is my tank flooded?" again.

So, you're telling me this guy would make one cloud-chaser extraordinaire?

use_frink_john.jpg

In all seriousness, it is a great post. I'm glad you took the time to write it. I think a lot of newer folks (or veterans, clearly!) asking "How do I get more vapor??" will seriously benefit from thinking about this sort of thing.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hehehehehe.

I've been doing what you described at the beginning for a year, only I call it my "Redheaded Step-Bas**** Child", SVD Set to 15 watts with a Samsung Pink Evic 2600mah ICR and a Modded Smoktech Octupus setup as a 1.4ohm 1/16th ID 32awg dual coil. The Octupus came off the SVD and onto my IPV V2 recently. The hardcore, young sub-ohm culture just can't wrap their heads around the physics going on inside everything. Took a page out of Mother Nature's play book, hot humid air meets cold humid air in a confined space, then vortex the mixture together, OMG we got the perfect storm going on here without the lightning strikes, or flying firetrucks, lol.

Wish these regulated VV/VW devices were out last year or sooner, but anyway, viva le resistance my man, preach on, preach on =D

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
This thread surprised me. No arguments with the OP, I just assumed everyone knew this already. Those damned assumptions will get you every time. So there are "special" people out there doing sub-ohm builds on a daily basis who think lower resistance and thicker wire are some kind of vape magic... I find this amusing and depressing in equal measure.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
P=IE should be taught in school.

As often as I E PIE, I completely agree.

Funny I've never seen this mentioned but cloupor highly resembles a horrible Chinese translation of the words cloud and poor. As 150 watts would certainly "poor clouds" I highly suspect that's what cloupor is supposed to be referencing.

What i read of the OP was spot on.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
at least until I make my final decision on which 100W-150W device to buy. So you are going to put 100 watts on a 2 ohm coil?

No... You don't understand... You don't NEED a .2 ohm build to push high wattage... That's the whole point... The thing can output up to 9.3 volts.... At 9.3 volts that thing can push 75 watts into a 1.1 ohm coil and only push 8 1/2 amps...Safe vaping chart says max voltage on a 1.1 ohm coil is around 7.25 Volts. That's 47.8 watts max into the coil. Are you rewriting all the safe vaping charts? You are recommending putting almost double the recommended power into a 1.1 ohm coil.

I continued to throw "clouds" that dwarfed his... Despite the fact I was running a 1.4 ohm build at 50 watts...Safe vaping chart says max voltage into a 1.4 ohm coil should be, let's call it 8 Volts generating 45 watts. I guess 5 watts outside the lines is okay and you do chuck those clouds bro:)

But suppose you took that same 2 ohm build and ran 9 volts into it? All of a sudden you're kicking out 40 watts of power. And spreading that 40 watts out over a large surface area...Safe Vaping chart recommends 8 volts into a 2 ohm coil

But let's say instead we build for a regulated mod. Like the T5 for instance. Now in this case let's say we build a 1.8 ohm build with dual 29awg coils... That's a whooping 19 wraps on each coil at 2mm inner diameter... Now we can run this setup at 8.9 volts to get the same 44 watts we were kicking on a fully charged battery with our mech's .4 build. But what's the difference? Who is going to do a 19 wrap coil....seriously bro...and a 1.8 ohm coil should be maxed out at 7.61 volts not 8.9 volts as you suggest here.

Just trying to keep things safe on both sides of the equation...Will you have to do 150 wraps to put 100-150 watts into your next coil...LOL

I prefer lower ohm builds. It's a better vape for me. Flavor, vapor and overall mouth feel and lung hit is unequaled by a highger ohm vape. One vapor's opinion.

The kids buy mechs because they are CHEAP and for no other reason. Yes, vaping has a herd mentality no doubt. I like VV/VWs for the consistency of power as you have discussed. You should take your stuff to a cloud competition and show them. You will be the guy at the longest drive contest with the shortest driver. I know where my money is going..

Vape on!

Last edited:

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Ummmmmm, the "science"...LOL
You didn't bother linking this so called safe vaping chart, so I'm just going off others I've seen, but they were all about not burning juice or popping factory coils, not actual safety, and not relevant to this discussion. Nothing the OP said is really up for debate, it's all easily observable as the way the world actually works(ie science).

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I prefer lower ohm builds. It's a better vape for me. Flavor, vapor and overall mouth feel and lung hit is unequaled by a highger ohm vape. One vapor's opinion.
Vape on!
Hey Wharf! long time... i always agreed with that side of the equation, but that was before the these newer high powered chips (see my signature) came along, AND it was about the debate when people were ragging on sub ohms with mechs vs. a Provari or such regulated mods.
Actually it was for the dual 18650's too (in my Raptors) that I went with them for sub ohms vaping.

And my jaw did drop with thinking about a 40wrap dual coil... I was wondering what size atomizer.

But actually the OP has converted me into a believer (without even going to that many wraps...yet).
Turns out my favorite builds are single coil RTA or RDA, and I'm preferring 1 ohms with about 30w after all.

I have a question which may be ....... but OP says LR higher resistance dual coils with lots of wraps and high voltage increases flavor as well as vapor.
I've found myself that single coil RTA beats most dual coil RDA's with all the air for flavor; in fact that's the consensus.
I may have to look into that myself with the Raptors and all. Just saying. And wondering if that applies to single coils as well.

That said I really do like the Origen2 with duals at .25 ohms and 4.+v... its way cooler vape than I have thought, and good flavor at that. I actually thought that was the exception in my experience.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
As with most things, individual experiences and tastes will vary widely. Some find larger wire easier to work with, some find smaller wire easier to work with. It all depends on technique and patience I guess. The same is true of low resistance producing better flavor and vapor. Personally, I've found that low resistance, high wattage, produces more harsh flavor while higher resistances at the same power levels produce much smoother flavor. Each of us can experiment and decide what they like best, but the basic facts of resistance and power will remain unchanged. Just do what works for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread