My vaping has become tasteless

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummyblood

Verified Member
Nov 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Over the past 4 months since I've picked up vaping again, I've gone through like 10 bottles of juice that I would open, try a little, and then lose interest in immediately. This was mostly because I just couldn't taste much, or the label of the flavor was far off from what it tasted like. I would almost always be disappointed.
Now I just bought two more new flavors that arrived today, and they both smell AMAZING. like literally I could almost eat them. but when I put them in my tank, no flavor whatsoever. not even a hint. just that wonderful smell of the vapor that makes me want to cry for not being able to taste it.
am I doing something wrong? I'm using a brand new atomizer and kanger mini protank with ego c battery. I feel like ever since I switched to tanks I havent been tasting very much flavor...I used to taste way more vaping on a crumby Joye 510 filter system.
I just don't get it! is it the juice, or the equipment, or have I simply just lost my sense of taste? I try and buy juices from various sources, and all that have amazing reviews. so I doubt it could be the juice. I think its just me *sigh*
an analog never sounded so good...

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
SOunds like classic vapors tongue. Don't worry we all go through it eventually.

1st of major league up your water intake. Vaping dehydrates and your sense of taste goes with it.

2nd. CHanging up flavors often seems to help prevent vapors tongue.

3rd brush your teeth and tongue more often and maybe use something like biotine.

4th Shock your taste buds. Eat something super spicy or salty. I use very salty green olives myself. Others use Spicy peppers or lemons.

5th sometimes vaping a strong mint, menthol or cinnamon (warning tank cracker) will at least let you taste that for awhile until you can go back to your normal juices.

6th it will pass in time if none of the above works. Use this time to use up those juices you really didn't like. :)

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
i seemed to have the same problem. If it is not the coil, meaning the coil is new or unused, it's probably your tastebuds. I have been making my own juice and I mix it very strong. When other people try my juice they are overcome by the strong flavor but for me it's just right. I make juicy fruit flavoring (TPA) at 30-40% and RY4 double (TPA) at 30% and they taste just right. You may want to try mixing your own so you can control how much flavor is in the juice for your case of vaper tongue. It's easy and all the information you need to get started is located on this website. Good luck and stay strong AVOID THE ANALOG, or not who am I to tell you what to do.:vapor:

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
Go smell some strong smelling coffee grounds. Do it again. Drink a sugary coke (thank you Ocelot). Drink STRONG coffee. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Drink Powerade. Eat pickles. Brush your tongue every time you brush your teeth. Biotene could help. STAY HYDRATED. Do it anyway, lol.

Anyway, those are some of the things I've tried. Sometimes Time is the only thing that helps. I know if I leave my vape alone for a couple hours and drink lots of water or powerade, it's a little better.

It also makes me pee a lot. :unsure:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Lots of people really love the mini-protanks; I find they mute the flavor somewhat. Are you using a stainless drip-tip? Try swapping with a plastic one; that helped me a lot.

You can still use cartos, and perhaps move up to a carto tank? (Read up on them though; they require a little technique). Try different heads, there really is a lot of difference between them. What some people love, others hate. I don't know why.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Over the past 4 months since I've picked up vaping again, I've gone through like 10 bottles of juice that I would open, try a little, and then lose interest in immediately. This was mostly because I just couldn't taste much, or the label of the flavor was far off from what it tasted like. I would almost always be disappointed.
Now I just bought two more new flavors that arrived today, and they both smell AMAZING. like literally I could almost eat them. but when I put them in my tank, no flavor whatsoever. not even a hint. just that wonderful smell of the vapor that makes me want to cry for not being able to taste it.
am I doing something wrong? I'm using a brand new atomizer and kanger mini protank with ego c battery. I feel like ever since I switched to tanks I havent been tasting very much flavor...I used to taste way more vaping on a crumby Joye 510 filter system.
I just don't get it! is it the juice, or the equipment, or have I simply just lost my sense of taste? I try and buy juices from various sources, and all that have amazing reviews. so I doubt it could be the juice. I think its just me *sigh*

Yes! It's all of that! Or any of that! Or... Let's begin:

Don't you be hatin' on that "crumby" old 510 and cartridge setup. That's what I started with and all I used for my first nine months of vaping. Despite the modern miracles of tanks, an atty and cartridge setup still works. You have probably heard about atty dripping? Some people do it as their primary vaping method, some people do it just to try new flavors without needing to fill a clearo. An atty with a cartridge is like dripping, but with a small feeding system provided by the cartridge. You may want to revisit those attys to see how you experience flavor with them.

BCC's like a Kanger PT are reported to give less flavor than other setups - like attys or cartos. I find that's true with some liquids - but not necessarily all of them. You may have run across a batch of liquids though that are like that. You could try dripping in one of those attys if you still have them, or even pick up one or two inexpensive cartos to see if that improves the experience compared to the PT.

One problem you have with your eGo C battery is it's fixed voltage - you have no way of adjusting it to suit your liquids or the resistance of the coil in the PT. It would be nice if you could slap any resistance PT coil on, fill it with any liquid, and it would all perform the same at the same voltage - it doesn't work that way. A small change in voltage affects how hot the coil gets and how quickly, which can change the entire experience. If you got a variable voltage eGo Twist or Vision Spinner battery you can adjust the voltage to suit. Either the Twist or Spinner can be charged using same eGo C charger you already have.

Or it could be vapers tongue as suggested. If that's the case you have to move out of your flavor comfort zone to see if you can taste anything. That may be trying menthol, cinnamon red hots, clove, peppermint - the really strong flavors. For almost all people a bout of vapers tongue doesn't last long.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
It does not necessarily go away. I have been vaping over 5 years. I've tasted almost nothing for 2 years from my juices. I am going the rebuild able route. It is supposed to greatly enhance flavor. If that doesn't work, I can see going back to analogs because vaping just isn't satisfying anymore, and hasn't been for quite sometime.

show

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Kansas

Two words: Kringles Curse from Halo Cigs ... woo-saaa lol. Okay, thats like seven.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
:( that truly sucks. I hope the rebuildable works for you.

No worries. We are all going to die of something. I'd rather I not die from analogs, but I refuse to continue to participate in an activity that give me so little satisfaction. Living longer, but unhappily isn't really living.......

kslice917

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2013
North Canton, OH, USA
BCC's like a Kanger PT are reported to give less flavor than other setups - like attys or cartos. I find that's true with some liquids - but not necessarily all of them. You may have run across a batch of liquids though that are like that. You could try dripping in one of those attys if you still have them, or even pick up one or two inexpensive cartos to see if that improves the experience compared to the PT.

Or it could be vapers tongue as suggested. If that's the case you have to move out of your flavor comfort zone to see if you can taste anything. That may be trying menthol, cinnamon red hots, clove, peppermint - the really strong flavors. For almost all people a bout of vapers tongue doesn't last long.

Some fantastic advice to follow. I've never tried the Kanger PT - in fact, the only Kanger I've tried is the AeroTank which I now use on a daily basis. I've heard that the PTs do have problems. Though I will tell you this:

I used to use Vivi Nova tanks and they worked great, aside from mid-par vapor production/taste and the occasional gurgling. Then I decided to try an aClear Vivi Nova Clone - boy, what a mistake. Yes, they cleared up the spaces that on the Vivi Nova would allow the gurgling. I started vaping with this tank, and loved it. But after about 2-3 weeks, all flavor stopped. Every single drag on this thing would taste like a burnt wick. That's when I switched to the AeroTank...

Now I have yet to try dripping or even cartomizers (other than when I first started with Blu eCigs) so I can't compare the flavor of the different methods. Though after trying this AeroTank, I don't think I'll ever switch from a bottom-coil tank. In fact, I've read several times here on ECF that the Kanger AeroTank becomes even better once you rebuild the coils/wicks yourself and I can't wait to try it!

As for vaper's tongue, I've experienced it quite a bit. Here's what I find that helps:

• Vape a cinnamon-based flavor in a GLASS tank for 3-4 days. After this period, it may take a day or two of vaping other flavors before the cinnamon goes away.
  • Drink plenty of liquids. If you like citrus drinks, try those. The citric acid will actually help clear any built-up gunk on your taste buds.
  • Have plenty of different toppers. Know which ones work for you. If you can't taste a flavor, switch your topper to make sure it's not the wick/coil/juice. Like I said with that aClear tank - it can taste great for a few weeks and then get absolutely horrible.
  • Consider getting a tongue brush, such as the OraBrush. I've used this brand for the past couple years and ANY flavor that's stuck on my tongue is gone afterwards. Same goes for a lack of taste - but this could be different for different people.

All in all, if it's vaper's tongue it will go away soon enough. If it's your Kanger PT, the only way to know is to try a different topper to see if you can still taste that vapor. Though Rickajho suggested it might be your battery (and I agree that a VV/VW would help), the bottom line in my opinion is this: If it produces vapor, you should be able to taste it. There are even plenty of juices that don't product vapor but still taste fantastic.

Good luck!

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
Maybe it's not vaper's tongue. It could be that your resistance is too high for your battery. I'm assuming your eGo is not a twist style, variable voltage battery. A 2.5ohm coil won't give you much flavor on a standard 3.7v eGo. If you're not already, try a lower resistance coil, like a 1.5 or 1.8 and see if that helps.

Moedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
I know its already been mentioned, but try changing your coil out more often, even when the coil otherwise seems completely functional, and don't forget to clean your tank as well--both seem to make a big difference in taste. @Elendil, sorry you are having a problem. I assume you've already tried increasing your nic. Could it be you are subconsciously trying to find a reason to go back on analogs? Maybe you should try an analog or two and compare it to your present vape. I know when I smoke one, VERY occasionally, I don't find it unpleasant, but it doesn't stack up at all with my vape.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
An Itazte VV or even a Vision Spinner or Ego Twist as has been suggested. Go to a 1.8 ohm coil in your tank if that is not viable. Maybe buy concentrates of your juices and add a drop or two to increase the flavor. Lemon juice can also make fruits pop a bit. Buy a cheap 510 bridgeless atomizer and see if you like drippin. The flavor hit will be much better with a VV/ VW battery. Take a trip to your local B&M and see if they can help, but don't go back to a-cigs :)

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Seattle
Two words: Kringles Curse from Halo Cigs ... woo-saaa lol. Okay, thats like seven.

More words, blood orange from mt baker vapor (I have kringles curse too, though I use it as a mixer).

Your mini pro tank will jump out at you (65/35, 6mg, sent as sample, so no extra flavor shots, but that orange will wake the taste buds right up, and you will doubt the muting flavor of protanks with used wicks - I clean them - ever again).

PS, I do seem to have not the knack for cleaning aspire bdc coils, though I can handle top coils and bottom coils from everyone else.

gummyblood

Verified Member
Nov 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
thanks for all the replies and advice to everyone. hearing from you guys really gives me hope that I can somehow get this problem solved.

ok, so a couple bits of information I need to add:

even though my battery isn't a twist, it DOES have two different voltage modes. 3.3V constant or 4.2V full power. so far I have only used 2.5/2.7 resistance coils with these tanks. and I have tried both the modes with each flavor i've tried. the result: vapor production is wonderful, but taste is still nonexistent. I have wondered if I could benefit from trying to buy different resistance coils, so I may well indeed give it a shot. also, regarding the rebuildables: I am a bit confused as to how this would make a difference in flavor, however, I have also been planning on trying. so far I have saved every single part from every used coil I own, so I just need to get a couple basic tools in order to attempt rebuilding them.

second thing I forget to mention - juice consistency. this current batch of mine is 20PG/80VG. past juices have been 50/50. I've also tried 80/20's. I know people say PG gives more flavor, but to me all it did was enhance the throat hit. and it was mostly too strong for me, so I decided to go to the highest VG level. not sure if this is contributing to the problem, or if maybe tanks are designed to work predominately for high PG flavors? perhaps my VG ones need to be vaped in a different setup, as was suggested.

lastly, regarding vapor's tongue... it doesn't make sense how I would have it, considering I have only started vaping again for 4 months. also, I never really chain-vape. so I would suspect that happens to those who have been at it non stop for years, no? but I guess its a possibility.

once again I really appreciate all the help!

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
I just went through the same thing. I started vaping on 11/6/2013.

Everything was fine until the first week of February. I initially noticed that my favorite B&M juice (Juicy Fruit flavor) started tasting exactly like pink bubble gum. Not a hint of Juicy fruit. Other flavors started getting "weaker" as well. Food and drink still tasted normal. It stayed like that until last Friday (3/14). This week, eveything is back to tasting normal.

So, I had this for a full month. I believe that it went away on its own, but I did make a very strong batch of menthol & koolada juice a week ago, and vaping it a couple of times a day seems to have helped a bit. It may have been just a coincidence.

Hang in there. Use up any juices that you didn't like while you can't taste them. It will clear up. Eventually.

cbrite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Kringle's Curse, as show said, is very pepperminty but in a good way, and you should be able to taste it even if it is vaper's tongue (at least I could). In addition to some of the other "cures" for vaper's tongue, I have found eating a few Dorito's help, and I also have gone the green olive route with success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread