NarDA clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I've not seen noisy airflow mentioned, mine whistles a bit unless I pull fairly hard, even then its still a bit of a whistle. Mine not typical? Was going to break out the jewelers files, but just curious if anyone else has a noisy one.
Just received my SS316 clone from FT ($11.94 NarDA Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 316 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping)
Nice atomizer, well machined, but geez does it whistle... embarrassing.
Tried everything I could to silent it - different builds, enlarged the cap air holes, drilled the base vent holes - but to no avail.
The whistle seems to generate in the upper part of the chamber, if I blow into the cap dome while keeping its air holes plugged (blowing towards the drip tip hole) it sounds like a whistle, and a damn good one at that.
Even digged a bevel there with the Dremel and a conical burr, still no joy.
OK, it's for home use only [emoji16]

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just received my SS316 clone from FT ($11.94 NarDA Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 316 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping)
Tried everything I could to silent it - different builds, enlarged the cap air holes, drilled the base vent holes - but to no avail.
The whistle seems to generate in the upper part of the chamber, if I blow in the cap dome while keeping its air holes plugged (no drip tip) it sounds like a whistle, and a damn good one at that.
Even digged a bevel there with the Dremel, still no joy.

That's Strange. Because I have the Same one and yeah, I can hear the Air going thru it. But not much more than my Other rda's. And Definitely not a whistle.

Do you use the white Drip Tip that it comes with?

Reactions: xpen

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
That's Strange. Because I have the Same one and yeah, I can hear the Air going thru it. But not much more than my Other rda's. And Definitely not a whistle.

Do you use the white Drip Tip that it comes with?
Tried every drip tip I own, no way
Hell, it does that even without a drip tip (even though less whistling this way, I have to admit) [emoji2]
ETA: all my drip tips sport a quite wide bore, like the cherry vapes cloudchaser
ETA 2: I've immediately replaced the slotted screws with two hex screws, now I'm wondering if those (much higher head) may have something to do with the cavitation I'm experiencing...
Too lazy to rebuild it again now, tomorrow...

Last edited:

McAnythingReally

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2015
Albany, NY
On the topic of Drip Tips, anybody found a suitable replacement for the stock DT yet? I tried using a DotMod tip, some of my short Derringer Tips, and a stainless steel one, and none of them compared to the stock one. The DotMod was too wide bore, the Derringer tips were too short, and the Stainless Steel one muted flavor. I am looking at a Trinity Copa possibly for it, as I want something a bit taller, but I don't want to lose out on the flavor I am getting.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
The whistle seems to generate in the upper part of the chamber, if I blow into the cap dome while keeping its air holes plugged (blowing towards the drip tip hole) it sounds like a whistle, and a damn good one at that.
Even digged a bevel there with the Dremel and a conical burr, still no joy.
I believe you need to bevel the AFC on the outside of the cap to get rid of the whistle...

Reactions: xpen

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Tried every drip tip I own, no way
Hell, it does that even without a drip tip (even though less whistling this way, I have to admit) [emoji2]
ETA: all my drip tips sport a quite wide bore, like the cherry vapes cloudchaser
ETA 2: I've immediately replaced the slotted screws with two hex screws, now I'm wondering if those (much higher head) may have something to do with the cavitation I'm experiencing...
Too lazy to rebuild it again now, tomorrow...

Would it be Hysterical if the Slotted Screws did contribute to the Whistling?

Just One More Reason for me to Hate those Damn Slotted Screws.

LOL

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
On the topic of Drip Tips, anybody found a suitable replacement for the stock DT yet? I tried using a DotMod tip, some of my short Derringer Tips, and a stainless steel one, and none of them compared to the stock one. The DotMod was too wide bore, the Derringer tips were too short, and the Stainless Steel one muted flavor. I am looking at a Trinity Copa possibly for it, as I want something a bit taller, but I don't want to lose out on the flavor I am getting.

I Really Like these on my NarDa's...

2169805-2.jpg

$1.23 Acrylic 510 Drip Tip - 14mm / white + black at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Just know that they are like Blown Glass. Each one is Unique. Some have Lots of White Swirls. And some not so many.

McAnythingReally

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2015
Albany, NY
I Really Like these on my NarDa's...

2169805-2.jpg

$1.23 Acrylic 510 Drip Tip - 14mm / white + black at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Just know that they are like Blown Glass. Each one is Unique. Some have Lots of White Swirls. And some not so many.

Added to my cart! Definitely used to taking gambles on the swirls when it comes to these tips. My derringer ones ended up being pretty sad, I think the most I got out of one was 3 swirls lol. I like the looks of that tip though, slightly taller, slightly narrower bore. Definitely what I was looking for!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Added to my cart! Definitely used to taking gambles on the swirls when it comes to these tips. My derringer ones ended up being pretty sad, I think the most I got out of one was 3 swirls lol. I like the looks of that tip though, slightly taller, slightly narrower bore. Definitely what I was looking for!

I have gotten 6 or 7 of them. And all but one has had Multiple Swirls. And that One had a Single, Nike shaped, swoosh running thru it. It is actually one of my Favorites.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

BTW - I have some of these In Transit...

13mm Black Acrylic Wide Bore 510 Drip Tip for E-cig Atomizers

13mm Blackish Green Wide Bore Acrylic 510 Drip Tip for Atomizers

I hope the blue one is Close to what the picture looks like.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I believe you need to bevel the AFC on the outside of the cap to get rid of the whistle...
Tried that first, but it didn't work unfortunately
I'm learning the whistling has something to do with empty space locations in the well... straight builds (orthogonal to the air vents) with split wick tails - so that all the four wells are filled with some rayon - seems to be the most silent configuration.
Diagonal builds cause more or less whistling depending on where I put the wick tails. But some whistling is there anyway. Frustrating, to say the least.
Patience isn't a virtue for me, I'm seriously considering to put this clone in a drawer and be done with it.

Reactions: muzichead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread