Natural analogs less addictive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adik Ted

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Scotland
As someone pointed out earlier, the American Spirits last much longer (is it because they don't have saltpeter added to keep them burning when you're not puffing). Smoking 20 of them is like smoking 40 normal cigs and I certainly felt that way in the morning. If they were king sized you could probably nip them half way down and cut your costs in half but you'll still end up with COPD just as fast.

sporkboy

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Houston, TX
As someone pointed out earlier, the American Spirits last much longer (is it because they don't have saltpeter added to keep them burning when you're not puffing). Smoking 20 of them is like smoking 40 normal cigs and I certainly felt that way in the morning. If they were king sized you could probably nip them half way down and cut your costs in half but you'll still end up with COPD just as fast.

Actually American Spirits contain 25% more tobacco than most commercial 100's, the were very tightly packed cigarettes, smoking American Spirit golds I usually didn't get a good drag until my second or third puff because they were so tightly packed. I smoked those and Nat Sherman Natural Mints, still loaded with the really bad stuff, Tar being one of the worst for us, even though I was cutting out a few unknown chemicals.

somEDude

Mar 21, 2010
Ohio
This discussion is of great interest to me.

As someone who stopped smoking commercial cigarettes three years ago, can say that moving from American Spirit reds and Nat Sherman Naturals, which were great, over to tobacco from Daughters and Ryan was amazing. I never looked back. I switched because my state added FSC paper which was making me sick. It wasn't just the fact that I was being overtaxed.
D&R has some good stuff. Before I quit the analogs I was chaining at least 40 cigs a day. Not sure if it had anything to do with it but I was all about the windsail platinum which is a no additive flu cured I believe and I didnt have nearly as bad chest congestion or couhing or anything as when I was smoking just a pack of marbs or camels a day

bluebottle7

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
One has to reasonably expect that, with the huge amounts of extra $ it costs tobacco companies to research and then add chemicals to their products, these things can only serve to 'enhance' the nicotine delivery / flavor / speed of use and thus increase their sales volumes. I think there's evidence that although nicotine is very addictive on its own that with certain additives this addictive quality can be increased significantly.

I've noticed that even with a high-nic juice there is a certain 'something' that is missing from e-cigs that I get from analogs. This 'something', though, can be easily offset by the much improved flavor and health benefits of the ecigs- at least for me.

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
My understanding is that one of the differences is that 'additive-free' tobacco is at least free of additives designed to modify the availability or metabolism of nicotine.

In particular, if memory serves, the use of ammonia was a big deal during the tobacco litigation because it demonstrated manipulation with an eye to 'drug delivery' (and, for some reason, 'big tobacco' was trying to claim they didn't do that). Something about it managed to get the nicotine into the bloodstream faster, damn the other consequences (more nitrogen compounds?), and you can really taste it in some brands -- like Dad's old Trues way back when, whee.

So it's not like a 'natural' cigarette is non-addictive, but at least they haven't kicked it up a notch. Compared to 'tweaked' cigarettes, the nicotine kicks in a little more gradually, and 'vaping' is supposed to have a slower delivery than smoking, so maybe it's easier to slide over from non-ammoniated than from Newports or something.

I switched from Marb lights to the American Spirit Yellow pack a few months back. My store ran out of them last week and I bought a pack of my old Marb lights. I didn't smoke the pack as quickly because every time I lit one I thought "EWWW". I noticed the day after smoking the Marb's my throat was scratchy, and I was coughing up phlem. Once again, "EWWWW!"

In my experience the American's last MUCH longer (they ARE longer), are harder to drag, and are more satisfying so I smoke half as much as I did Marb's (before switching).

P.S. Can't wait to get my Riva and stop smoking altogether!

k3vin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
OK USA
www.vaperstek.org
A few thoughts ....I always thought that TAR in analogs is an added substance which keeps the tobacco burning,and tar is the one thing"among others in analogs" which are bad for you,but tar being the worst.This is maybe why the "NATURAL" analogs as one poster said seemd to last so long..

I was a pack and a half day smoker of marl. red shorts for 30 years roughly,and have been analog free for 12 days since getting my riva..BUT I do have to play head games with myself once in a while when I do crave analogs,which seems to be getting less by the day..I tell myself that vaping is better for me(which I believe),I have already saved $55 on not buying analogs,but have a way to go to break even on supplys for vaping.(about $250)..But I just keep telling myself it wont be long and I will of broken even.AND I will be healthier..I am currently using 30mg. mix,and I use a lower mg juice at night a few hours before bed,usually to 24mg.but sometimes 18..I was vaping like crazy for 11 days and am slowly getting to where I dont vape as much..But I drive for a living and am used to having analogs alot...

Another benefit I have noticed..I have not had a headache since I started vaping..ANd I had one at least everyother day if not everyday...I think The stock in ibuprofen just dropped by a HUGE amount..It was not unusual for me to eat at least 800mg. worth of ibuprofen a day...and the last 12 days..NONE..I am helping my liver also..lol..Seriously,I should add in the cost of ibuprofens..lol
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread