Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
That helps, thanks! After you rinse them do you just let them air dry?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I paper towel down as much as I can. I was allowing to air dry, but I had an iClear 30S that developed rust, so now I use a hair dryer when I am not 100% positive it is good stainless. I blow a couple puffs through the heads, dab with a paper towel, and leave them air dry for at least 24 hours before they go back in the organizer for use later.

ebbrey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norway
Finally figured out why this tank is inconsistent. Its the head hole placement. If its too close to the bottom. The heads are ..... If its a 1-2mm gap the heads work perfectly. Out of 2 different packs one head worked. And its holes are in a better place.

Bad quality control by Aspire. The holes are in different heights in almost all my heads.

I will not keep buying 5 packs for that one good head chance.

Here are some example of GOOD and BAD heads.

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

Last edited:

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
Finally figured out why this tank is inconsistent. Its the head hole placement. If its too close to the bottom. The heads are ..... If its a 1-2mm gap the heads work perfectly. Out of 2 different packs one head worked. And its holes are in a better place.

Bad quality control by Aspire. The holes are in different heights in almost all my heads.

I had not noticed this... Now I must compare... After a comparison, the two heads that came with the Nautilus appear to be a frogs hair under the the flange. Meaning the bottom of the hole is actually flat as the flange comes across the bottom of the hole. Now on my five pack heads, they all appear to be almost flush with the flange. Meaning the bottom of the hole is still round and located perfectly even with the flange. I have no space on any of the heads with the hole being higher then dead even. I will have to pop out a new head from the five pack and test this hypothesis further.

Thanks for the heads up ebbrey!

ebbrey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norway
I had not noticed this... Now I must compare... After a comparison, the two heads that came with the Nautilus appear to be a frogs hair under the the flange. Meaning the bottom of the hole is actually flat as the flange comes across the bottom of the hole. Now on my five pack heads, they all appear to be almost flush with the flange. Meaning the bottom of the hole is still round and located perfectly even with the flange. I have no space on any of the heads with the hole being higher then dead even. I will have to pop out a new head from the five pack and test this hypothesis further.

Thanks for the heads up ebbrey!

Added some pictures to my explanation and findings.

After i got my first Nautilus vape working.. i was so damn happy. And then i ran into problems and {MODERATED} taste.. I got so mad trying to get it to work again.. Now that i know why this happends.. How to get Aspire to drop those bad heads out of sales?

Sent a request to my supplier. Hope they get back to me with some feedback, will post here.

Yesterday when i opened a new pack, i noticed that one of the holes was way higher than all the others. (the missing head from the pictures).

.......n this is a good vape! 40% VG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
Hmm... Based upon your images, every head I have will prove to be bad, or very bad. Guess I'll just have to power through and try them out. There's an interest thread going in the CO-OP section right now for these tanks and heads. If it goes live I was going to get a bunch of heads, because the price can't be beat. But, with this hole location issue, do you think rebuilding them in RipTripper's method would help fix the issue?

ebbrey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norway
Hmm... Based upon your images, every head I have will prove to be bad, or very bad. Guess I'll just have to power through and try them out. There's an interest thread going in the CO-OP section right now for these tanks and heads. If it goes live I was going to get a bunch of heads, because the price can't be beat. But, with this hole location issue, do you think rebuilding them in RipTripper's method would help fix the issue?

I tried Rip Trippers.. first one i made was good. Then i gave up. Because i couldnt make another good one. Semes only the first one i made would wick right. I got mad and threw them all out. But i only belive rebuilding a head that has a good placement to allow for good wicking will work.

If i had a steady hand with the dremel and some small tape i would fix them all.

Also i wonder if i made a cotton ball and jammed it good in the head and made a coil on top of it instead. And just opened up the holes some more if that would work.

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

This is not the case for me. I just looked at hole placement in my heads that are vaping great and the slight difference in hole placement has made no difference to the vape quality in either taste or vapor production. I'm just not noticing a difference at all in any way. All the holes shown in the picture are going into the same loose polyfill at the bottom of the tank, and you can see the white polyfil through the holes, so I don't see why such a small difference would make such a dramatic change in your vaping experience. As long as the holes allow juice to migrate into the polyfil, the entire poyfil matting should saturate just fine. If there is a difference in vape quality, I think it must be something else based on my experience.

Now if the sheet polyfil isn't pushed far enough down to make good contact with the loose polyfil at the bottom of the head, that would certainly make a big difference and I've been wondering if that might be the case in some heads. I know a few have issues with these heads and if it doesn't wick correctly to the coil I could see this as a potential problem. Since I haven't gotten a bad head yet I don't have any heads to check this on, but I would be interested if someone with a bad head could check this. This would seem a much more likely reason to me.

The other thing to check for is if the coil is centered properly. If the coil is touching the polyfil sheeting on one side perhaps it could cause burning of the sheeting giving a burned taste. I haven't encountered that, but if someone has a bad head please check that also.

Not sure what the issue is for some, but hole placement doesn't affect the vape for me at all. YMMV

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
This is not the case for me. I just looked at hole placement in my heads that are vaping great and the slight difference in hole placement has made no difference to the vape quality in either taste or vapor production. I'm just not noticing a difference at all in any way. All the holes shown in the picture are going into the same loose polyfill at the bottom of the tank, and you can see the white polyfil through the holes, so I don't see why such a small difference would make such a dramatic change in your vaping experience. As long as the holes allow juice to migrate into the polyfil, the entire poyfil matting should saturate just fine. If there is a difference in vape quality, I think it must be something else based on my experience.

Now if the sheet polyfil isn't pushed far enough down to make good contact with the loose polyfil at the bottom of the head, that would certainly make a big difference and I've been wondering if that might be the case in some heads. I know a few have issues with these heads and if it doesn't wick correctly to the coil I could see this as a potential problem. Since I haven't gotten a bad head yet I don't have any heads to check this on, but I would be interested if someone with a bad head could check this. This would seem a much more likely reason to me.

The other thing to check for is if the coil is centered properly. If the coil is touching the polyfil sheeting on one side perhaps it could cause burning of the sheeting giving a burned taste. I haven't encountered that, but if someone has a bad head please check that also.

Not sure what the issue is for some, but hole placement doesn't affect the vape for me at all. YMMV

How many coils have you used so far and how long have you had it? Just curious because I just got mine and have a 5 pack of coils on the way and am hoping they'll last a while. Not getting as much vapor as I expected but I am satisfied. The videos I watch on YouTube always seem like they get more vapor out of everything than I do.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
How many coils have you used so far and how long have you had it? Just curious because I just got mine and have a 5 pack of coils on the way and am hoping they'll last a while. Not getting as much vapor as I expected but I am satisfied. The videos I watch on YouTube always seem like they get more vapor out of everything than I do.

I got my first Nautilus on Jan 13th, and got 2 more 2 weeks ago from the sale at Vapage. Purchased 2 packs of coils also, 1 1.6ohm and 1 1.8ohm. Including the 3 that I'm vaping in the tanks now I have used 6 heads. 1 I burned through having too high a voltage (my fault) and 2 were still vaping fine, although a little caking on the coil from a dark juice, that I took apart for rebuilding. 1 that I use just for Suicide Bunny's Sucker Punch, a light juice, that came with the first tank is still performing great after 3 full tanks. I haven't opened any of the pack coils yet. So just 1 failure, which was clearly my fault, and the rest have been fine for me. Even the dark juices do well through multiple tanks, but vapor production does seem to drop off a little after they cake up a bit. I'm still trying to figure out a way to dry burn my rebuilds with silica. Too early to tell yet, just did the first silica build last night and will need to cake it up a bit first.

I have never gotten as much vapor production as Rip Trippers videos on the Nautilus, more more on par with the Busardo video. I don't know what Rip Trippers does to produce clouds out of everything he vapes, but he get clouds out of everything.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
Mine has continued to work well, but I put a tank of 80/20 in it and it lost just about all vapor production. Doesn't matter what airhole setting. I get great taste, great TH, but upon exhale, next to nothing. Not quite a normal dry hit. It's really hard to explain, but I attribute the high PG juice to this. This is why I prefer 50/50 blends.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Mine has continued to work well, but I put a tank of 80/20 in it and it lost just about all vapor production. Doesn't matter what airhole setting. I get great taste, great TH, but upon exhale, next to nothing. Not quite a normal dry hit. It's really hard to explain, but I attribute the high PG juice to this. This is why I prefer 50/50 blends.

Good to know. I've never tried a high PG juice, I switch to different juices during the day but most of them are 40/60 PG/VG juices. I've heard that high VG give more vapor and your experience seem to agree with this.

mousitch

Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
usa

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

You are right on , on this. Went through all my coils and out of 9 only four had the holes up higher and it works awesome. The rest are junk. Im ....... Im out some cash here. We need to get together on this and see what can be done. The correctly made heads work so good...Night and day.

Sabz

Mar 21, 2014
Egypt
CONFIRMED!

just tested this out and you are right, i can already taste the difference. I had way to much DH and a off taste. This air-hole positioning (see previous attachments) makes all the difference, However i also noticed it gurgles a bit more. not much more tho. It did at the beginning then leveled out.

AWESOME guys thank soo much for this insight! the bad news is, of the pack of 5 only 2 were 'Good', one of which i may have ruined by removing the lining in the coil (trying to solve the DH), it may have been the wrong one, and now it floods constantly. I will try to rebuild my 2 remaining "good" heads for as long as i can.. damn you aspire, selling us defective heads.

Ill try widening the airwhole ever so slightly and see if it fixes the 'bad' heads. maybe we can fix the bad ones a little. Ill report back once i test that

happy vapin

Last edited:

DejayRezme

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    Strange. Why would the hole placement make a difference if there is wicking material behind them in any case?
    Is there some physical explanation that if the hole is in the "corner" the liquid will have lower pressure or fluidity there?

I'm curious if you could boost wicking if you made 2 of those wicking holes larger and put ekowool strings through them. Still waiting for my first rebuildable materials to arrive and want to try rebuilding the nautilus too.

PS: I only have 3 coils and 2 of them worked good and had the holes "right". The only thing I noticed is that a 1.6 ohm coil was shown as 1.8 on my VTR but might be bad ohm reading.

Last edited:

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 21, 2013
    Belton; Upstate SC
    www.facebook.com
    I thought I confirmed the same results based on hole position in the heads. I was wrong. Best I can tell, this POS tank just works when it feels like. Which is rarely in my case. I was going to sell it, then I thought about giving it away, but ultimately decided I didn't want my experiance passed along to anyone else. Now it sits in my box glaring at me as I rotate PT 2's and Davide's with aero bases.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread