Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Hi,
My 80yr old mum needs an easy to use set up. She smokes 10-12 cigarettes a day and wouldnt mind cutting down to 2-3 a day just to save the extra $$'s. At this point, 80, she's not all that fussed if she quits or not. She would be happy if she did but its not a big deal to her if she doesnt quit.
Right now she has tried my tanks and mods and seems to like the Smok Qbox mod with the Innokin Zenith.
The Innokin T22 mod is too slim and the Zelos sized mods are also too slim and slippery.
She likes the Innokin Zenith tank because she saw how easy it was to fill and to change coils.
As far as juice goes she has pretty much preferred unflavoured over any thing Ive given her to try.
I guess Im asking if there is anything as far as mods and tanks go that you might suggest as an easy to use and maintain set up for her.
Im confident that the Zenith tank wont present her with too many problems to use, fill, change coils etc but the little QBOX I have doesnt inspire confidence as a trouble free device.

Any recommendations for a simple MTL tootle puff device for a octogenarian? :)

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add I think a VV/VW mod would be best so she can fine tune the watts etc. My mind could be changed on that point I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Might be a good candidate for a pod system. I rarely suggest those but she doesn’t smoke all that much and the easiest to maintain devices there are are pods
Hey, thanks. I didnt even think of something like that. I know nothing about them. Any recommendations on which brand or model?

john1211

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2013
Troy, NY
Hi,
My 80yr old mum needs an easy to use set up. She smokes 10-12 cigarettes a day and wouldnt mind cutting down to 2-3 a day just to save the extra $$'s. At this point, 80, she's not all that fussed if she quits or not. She would be happy if she did but its not a big deal to her if she doesnt quit.
Right now she has tried my tanks and mods and seems to like the Smok Qbox mod with the Innokin Zenith.
The Innokin T22 mod is too slim and the Zelos sized mods are also too slim and slippery.
She likes the Innokin Zenith mod because she saw how easy it was to fill and to change coils.
As far as juice goes she has pretty much preferred unflavoured over any thing Ive given her to try.
I guess Im asking if there is anything as far as mods and tanks go that you might suggest as an easy to use and maintain set up for her.
Im confident that the Zenith tank wont present her with too many problems to use, fill, change coils etc but the little QBOX I have doesnt inspire confidence as a trouble free device.

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add I think a VV/VW mod would be best so she can fine tune the watts etc. My mind could be changed on that point I guess.
Pico 25 or istick 40

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hey, thanks. I didnt even think of something like that. I know nothing about them. Any recommendations on which brand or model?
The only pod I’ve used would be a poor candidate Ithink . It’s the peas. The problem, which is normally an advantage, is thepods come empty and you filll them yourself with a needle bottle which would suck for an old person to use. I suppose you could buy a couple boxes of pods and pre fill them for her. The thing does have the advantage of being real cheap.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Jebbn - She might like an Eleaf iStick 20W or 30W mod, with an Innokin T18 tank on it. All are still available. The smaller T18 tank would be better (size-wise) on either of those mods, IMO. Also, the iStick mods are VV/VW, and with their internal battery they're easily rechargeable. They also make silicone skins for them, in a variety of colors, to make it much easier for her to hold it, slippery-wise.

I have all of the above, and can assure you they're easy to use, durable, and provide a good, consistent, vape experience. She shouldn't have a problem with any of it, IMO. In fact, 3 people I've helped to switch over to vaping, started with the iStick 20W mod and still love it.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Get a Zenith if she likes it. As far as ease of use, it's pretty up there (apart from maybe changing the coils, but you could have her try it, and see how she does.) If you are comfortable with internal battery mods Innoken does make some good ones.

If she/you think the zelos mod is a good idea but too slippery, you could get a silicone sleeve for it. I have one and I'm trying to remember where the USB port is (um, I think it's on the side IIRC, the husband has it currently) although I think you'd have overhang with the Zenith, so I'm just gonna recommend checking out Innoken for internal battery mods. I don't own very many.

A pod mod might be a good idea for ease of use and amount she may be using it, but I am of ZERO help there. I still think if she can change the coils with a brief tutorial, well it would be a good tank, etc.

Best of luck and I hope you find something that works.

If you want to go with a pod, this might be a useful thread:

Pod Mods: Which One Are You Liking the Most?

Anna

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Get a Zenith if she likes it. As far as ease of use, it's pretty up there (apart from maybe changing the coils, but you could have her try it, and see how she does.) If you are comfortable with internal battery mods Innoken does make some good ones.

If she/you think the zelos mod is a good idea but too slippery, you could get a silicone sleeve for it. I have one and I'm trying to remember where the USB port is (um, I think it's on the side IIRC, the husband has it currently) although I think you'd have overhang with the Zenith, so I'm just gonna recommend checking out Innoken for internal battery mods. I don't own very many.

A pod mod might be a good idea for ease of use and amount she may be using it, but I am of ZERO help there. I still think if she can change the coils with a brief tutorial, well it would be a good tank, etc.

Best of luck and I hope you find something that works.

If you want to go with a pod, this might be a useful thread:

Pod Mods: Which One Are You Liking the Most?

Anna
I didnt know those silicon sleeves existed! That would take care of the over hang, add the width she would be more comfortable with, make it not slippery and take some of the cold metallic feel away that she doesnt like about vaping. Thats all kind of a big deal actually! Thanks.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I didnt know those silicon sleeves existed! That would take care of the over hang, add the width she would be more comfortable with, make it not slippery and take some of the cold metallic feel away that she doesnt like about vaping. Thats all kind of a big deal actually! Thanks.
I found Silicone sleeves to be da bomb unless your atty leaks. Then they tend to fill up with yuck fairly quickly

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The zenith is hard to make leak. But yes, I've used my silicone sleeve steampunk on my early RTA experiments, and you have to take the whole thing off and etc. But, it was useful for the battery door issue, that's why I got it. I LOVE the sleeve otherwise and haven't actually dropped mine much, and when I did I was glad of the cushion.
@Jebbn , I got my sleeve from amazon... I think Ebay sells them too. It's a pretty low risk purchase to be honest. There are vendors that specialize in wraps like Jwraps, I'm not sure that they make silicone models but they might. Best of luck,

Anna

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Hi,
She likes the Innokin Zenith tank because she saw how easy it was to fill and to change coils.

Thanks in advance.

I beg your pardon
I'm just curious how many years your mom has been smoking cigarettes.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
I found Silicone sleeves to be da bomb unless your atty leaks. Then they tend to fill up with yuck fairly quickly
Ahhhhh! Okay. Didnt think about that. Thanks for the heads up.

I went ahead and ordered the Kroma-Zenith about a minute ago. Might be a bit too weighty but the dimensions would be about right. She has some arthritis in her right hand. Also ordered a sleeve for the zelos.
I will let her try my gear out and what ever works out for her she can keep and use.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
I beg your pardon
I'm just curious how many years your mom has been smoking cigarettes.
66yrs.

LOL. .....Ha!
Yeah, I know, smoking kills.
She used to smoke 20-25 a day but cut down to 10 or so a day about 8yrs ago.

Last edited:

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
66yrs.

LOL. .....Ha!
For most her life, ever since ive known her, she used to smoke 20-25 a day but cut down to 10 or so a day about 8yrs ago.
Her aunties smoked all their lives until they were about 70ish then quit and they passed at age 99 and 98 about 6yrs ago.
In our family the never smokers die before theyre 69 the long term ex smokers at about 75 and the ones that keep on smoking seem to keep on going.:confused::?:
Theyre also the ones that drink red wine every night, and enjoy it, quite a bit.:D
I do worry about my mother, but I think she will out live me.
God bless her

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Ahhhhh! Okay. Didnt think about that. Thanks for the heads up.

Don't worry too much. If the zenith is set up right it's a total non leaker. It has floated (at times upside down) in my purse without leaking a drop. It's one I always take because it's so leakproof, honestly, and while I try to keep my mods upright, I often fail.

With an RTA it's usually going to be in my hand at all times, and it took me a LONG time to even take one out. The main thing is closing the topfill correctly but when the new tank gets there, wash it for her and if you make sure all the seals are there, O rings correctly seated, I'm guessing you won't have a problem.

Anna

Reactions: Vaperer

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Smoking can kill. But just like with most other things in life, there are no guarantees. All we can do is play the odds, knowing full well that we'll roll snake-eyes sooner or later no matter what we do.

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
80 years old, smoking for 66 years, if she wants a cigarette I say let her have it. Some advantages of vaping, cigarettes are expensive, with vaping you get a variety of flavors, with cigarettes its light, medium, strong or menthol. I just came to 5 years cigarette free, after 2 pads a day for 50 years. I'm almost 72 years old and living proof it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread