Need Help Or Advice--Think Something Is Wrong With Me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
it could also be not just the PG...the VG could be an issue....the artificial sweetness of too much VG makes me feel ill......
I'd probably get some straight PG and some straight VG...and try vaping a little of just that...and see if one bothers you more than the other....you could probably mix a little of the doubler into it just so you're not vaping flavorless, nicless juice..

but I myself can only occasionally do 50/50 PG/VG on occasion...any more than 40% VG makes me feel ill....and it soo much synthetic sweetner flavor for me...the same nausia I get when I try diet soda....

I'm loathe to suggest a PG allergy when you havent mentioned any other symptoms that would indicate that....and honestly for some reason on these boards people are quick to cite a PG intollerance when in reality it's fairly uncommon...
either way I'd take a step back from the blends and try some 100% VG and some 100% PG and see if one is worse than the other and then go from there...

you can get VG at stores like walmart in the same aisle as rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide...it's made by humco and it says glycerine on the labe, sold as a skin protectant...about $6 for a decent sized bottle

PG you can get from a pharmacy that does compounding...or from a walgreens or rite aid... at the pharmacy counter....dont talk to the tech (they never know what the hell they're doing)...talk to the pharmacist...ask for it by the full name Propelyne Glycol (they won't know what PG is)... it'll be about $11-15 for a pint...and they'll have to order it and will have it the next day usually...they'll probably be nosey and ask you what you want it for....if you're uncomfortable tell em you're making soap, shampoo, conditioner, or even lube....

as for flavors..alot of places flavor with faries finest, or lorann flavoring...these can be found in cake decorating or candy making aisles...most of them are PG and water soluable...so you can always pick something up for experimentation...I'd just shy away from the oils (peperming, cinnamon, etc) as those are going to be really strong and the oil bases arent really the best...

after we figure out if it's the PG or the VG giving you problems we can tackle things from there though...

Last edited:

Gunjji

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
home.comcast.net
Damn Drozd...
I always enjoy reading your posts, lots of good info in that one.

I don't think I have an allergy to PG, but I do think I may have had a overdose so-to-speak with it. My right leg started itching on my shin, before I knew it I scratched til I drew blood. Then the back of my knee and then from the knee to my ankle got swollen.
I figured it was too much PG so I went strictly ECOpure & ULTRApure til it went away. Its been 9 days now and Im slightly itchy, redness is gone by 95% as well as the swelling.
I will slowly introduce myself to other things I cut out, like Vitamins & tea just to be sure. And when I am confident that it was the PG, I should be all but clean of it and can start vaping my flavors that I love so much!

I also bought some "Vapor Renu" in 100%VG, Ummm, its not that bad, the Re(4)nu flavor seems really sweet for an RY4 and the "Renu Fire Cured" is ok also. But great for the $7.00/30ml price tag!

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Don't have time to read all the responses, ATM, so I'll just give my quick 2cents..

I have gone through the exact same thing (one of the reasons why I love PIF so much, it's enabled me to try so many juices, and then not let them go to waste cuz I can't stand them :p)

I've found that THE BEST juices are the homemade ones. Be it my homemade, or someone else's.. doesn't really matter. I have picked up and been open to anyone's offer of DIY flavors. And SO GLAD that I did.. that's how I discovered that. Then when I like someone's juice, I'll ask for the recipe and they are usually more than happy to share :D

I've been trying to do some DIYing to, and make up my own recipes. It's a hit or miss thing, but at least I can add the ingredients *I* want, and make anything stronger or weaker.

Anyhoo.. just my take on it :) Good luck! and welcome to our family :D

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Gunji and Drozd: a note on the VG.. I tried the Humco VG and thought it had a strange flavor, so now I stick to Wiltons VG (as it's specifically for cakes) I don't know if it's all in my head, and if there is any real difference or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there. (you can get the Wiltons at most hobby stores.. Hobby Lobby carries it around here)

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Gunji and Drozd: a note on the VG.. I tried the Humco VG and thought it had a strange flavor, so now I stick to Wiltons VG (as it's specifically for cakes) I don't know if it's all in my head, and if there is any real difference or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there. (you can get the Wiltons at most hobby stores.. Hobby Lobby carries it around here)

wouldn't make a difference...USP grade is USP grade..it's the synthetic sweetness that makes me ill...and I won't use it, I find no real benefit to it...

I was just stating that what the OP was writing about may not be a PG sensitivity....since they arent exibiting any of the other traits of a PG sensitivity...and is using a mix of VG and PG....and that I've experienced similar nausia from VG....

many people are almost too quick to point a finger at PG saying it's an allergy...when in reality VG can be just as bad for some people... people get some false sense of security from it because of the word vergetable in there...when by the time it is chemically converted to glycerine USP there's no difference...(and by the way the glycerine manufacturs have stated that sometimes it comes from vegetable, sometimes from animal...just depends what's cheaper at the time)...
not to mention there's FAR less research to support it's safe use in an inhalation aspect...

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Thanks Drozd :)

I don't know why, but I felt sick to my stomach after using the Humco, so I heard someone talking about Wiltons and tried that. (been using it ever since)

As you said, it probably IS all in my head :D But I feel better using it!

right and that's cool for you...if you like it and you feel better using it than cool...

I suppose I just find it a dis service to new people...the trend for so many people to quickly jump the gun to suggest a PG sensitivity when they're actually fairly rare... and they exibit one trait out of all of them....and those traits so closely mirror the side effects of smoking withdrawl...when in reality it could be compounding the new persons problems and frustrations...
and that's largely based on people's preconcieved notions that because it's called vegetable glycerine....that vegetable in the name means it must be better for you right....when that is equally not often the case...it's perpetuating misinformation (or rather not 100% factual information)

Starchild47

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2010
Tennessee
Thanks so much for all the help and advice here. I have a lot of ideas to chew on and a lot of things I am going to try to see what might work out for me. I have a funky sort of body chemistry anyway so I am not really surprised that I am reacting to some of this stuff to be honest. I am having allergic type symptoms as well but I attributed them to my seasonal allergies that I always have this time of year and did not want to put something on the juice that was not happening.
I am in hopes that in the next few weeks I can come to a happy compromise that will work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread