The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Need some happy thoughts sent

Discussion in 'Pay It Forward - PIF' started by autumnbreeze, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. autumnbreeze

autumnbreeze Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Our 8 y/o Pitt mix doggy, Missy, is experiencing facial paresis. That's basically paralysis of her facial muscles. It's worse on the right side of her face than the left. Her face looks like someone sucked out all of the muscle and fatty tissue, leaving just a thin layer of skin hanging off of her bones.

She's still a happy, loving dog. She's eating normal and acting normal, which are good signs. BUT, the Vet said she could have a tumor in her brain. :(

I know it's only one of 4 possibilities, but I can't help to be sad and cry. I love this dog so much and she's an important part of our lives. I never really understood how people could love their animals so much until her. So, if you guys could please send happy thoughts or prayers or rub the Buddha's belly, I'd greatly appreciate it.

[​IMG]

2. Lilacs212too

Lilacs212too Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2010
    Williamsburg, VA
    Aww sweetie.. my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours during this time.. I hope that only good things come of this. My kitty had to be put down two weeks ago, and she was the same age she's the one in my avatar).. and so much a part of the family, I am still all kinds of upset, and I hope that your vet can do wonderful things for your pup and make him all better! Sending many good thoughts your way!

3. autumnbreeze

Jan 24, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thank you, Lilac. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard imagining her not being with us anymore. I'm trying not to think about it.

4. Prism

Prism PIF MODERATOR Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 4, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Autmn, She is adorable. My thoughts and prayers will be with you too.

5. Lilacs212too

Lilacs212too Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2010
    Williamsburg, VA
    by the way.. she's absolutely adorable! :D Looks like she's loving the snow!

I apologize for my post... I guess I shouldn't have brought my kitty up, I don't want you to think that's what I think will happen to Missy.. It sounds like the vet has a few things in mind, and they do SUCH incredible things now, miraculous, even.. Lots and lots of prayers and good thoughts for you and Missy ((((Hugs))))

6. Lorizgal

Lorizgal Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

sending all the good thoughts from our zoo here, and my dogz are great at sending good thoughts and energy to others pets in need. In fact they are doing it now. As well as the peoples here at the house.

7. Kgrin

Kgrin Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 24, 2010
    Monroe, WA
    Autumn my thoughts and prayers are with you too!! They become such a part of us and our families that it makes it really hard when things happen and they don't feel well.. Again my prayers are with you!

8. autumnbreeze

Jan 24, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Prism: Thank you so much.

Lilacs: PLEASE do not be sorry for your post and bringing up your kitty. I didn't think you were saying that is what will happen to Missy. I truly am sorry for your loss. I was putting myself into your shoes and saying that I can't imagine her not being with us anymore. I apologize if I didn't word it correctly. I appreciate you sending prayers and good thoughts. ;)

Lori & Kgrin: Thank you both as well. :)

9. Adja

Adja Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Autumn, I feel your pain and fear. Our dogs are like our children. They bring so much love and happiness, and are just so important to our daily lives.

Reading over the symptoms, it occurred to me that Missy may have had a mild stroke. We had a Boxer who had a stroke that caused facial paralysis for a time. She was alert and able to eat and drink, but too weak to walk around. We nursed her and carried her in and out of the house to do her business, but kept her quietly tucked in on the sofa, and within 10 days she recovered completely.

Also, how is her heartrate? Does it seem fast? If by chance it was a stroke, it could have been caused by high blood pressure. This may sound crazy, but while I was nursing our girl, I noticed her fast heart rate, and that she seemed hard to calm down. It occurred to me that she was having the same symptoms that I was having before I started taking blood pressure meds.

I calculated the correct dosage for her weight based on the dosage that I take for my weight, and broke up a pill and gave her the dosage. Within 30 minutes, her heart rate slowed down and she layed down calmly. I shared this information with our Vet, and he was not surprised or alarmed. He advised that dogs often have the same types of problems that humans have, and if the medicine was working, that I should continue to give it to her. I truly believe that giving her the blood pressure medicine is why she did so well for a year and a half before having a second stroke.

BTW, she recovered from the second stroke as well, and did great for another six months before we lost her. We would not have undertaken to prolong her life in that manner if her quality of life was diminished at all, but truly it wasn't. She was her regular happy enthusiatic self, and seemed 100% normal.

I just wanted to share these thoughts with you. I will keep you and Missy in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how she is doing.

10. jjrose

jjrose Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2010
    Mississippi
    Sending good wishes your way! I hope everything turns out ok.

11. HollieGolightly

HollieGolightly Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    The South
    Awww bless your heart. Its so heart breaking when one of our friends is sick. Sending good wishes and hugs your way.
    I have three min pins and they are my life. One has a slipped disc so I have to watch her everyday to make sure she doesnt jump or move too much.

12. mianker

mianker Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    USA
    Autumn, your post touched me deeply as my dogs mean so much to me and as adog trainer I truly understand the bond, love and pleasure these wonderful animals bring to our families. The only advise I have for you is to enjoy the time you have with Missy. Make it special time doing all the things she loves to do. My thoughts & prayers are with you and Missy, she sounds like a wonderful part of your family. Hugs for you and Missy.

13. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    More good thoughts headed your way. Our Aussie Heidi was with us for two years after being diagnosed with myelopathy (degenerative nerve disease -- lose control of the rear legs).

We assisted her over time, daily baths, I carried her back half with a sling for the last year to help her move around. She was a happy girl right until the end.

14. autumnbreeze

Jan 24, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thank you so much everyone. Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated.

Adja: Yesterday the Vet ruled out a stroke. We're waiting on the results of the thyroid tests to see if that's the problem. I'm hoping that's it because it's treatable with meds. If the thyroid isn't the problem, we have to take her to a neurologist. We've actually already made the appointment with the Neurologist because they couldn't get us in until next week. Better to have the appointment and have to cancel it than to have to wait longer for the appointment.

HollieGolightly & Markfm: You guys are wonderful for being great doggy parents and doing whatever you can to help them when they need you. You both made my heart smile. And Markfm, I'm sorry for your loss as well. But it's comforting to know she was happy up until the end.

Mianker: Thank you for the advice. Last night we let her sleep in between us because that's where she prefers to sleep. Usually we don't let her sleep in between us even though she tries hard every night to sneak her way there. She can sleep anywhere she wants on the bed, just not in between us. She was so happy last night. She just kept licking us both. Almost like she was thanking us. We will let her sleep with us every night we have to, in addition to doing other things to make her happy.

Again, thank you everyone. Your words mean so much to me.

15. keyzygirl

keyzygirl ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
    Key West,Fl.
    Ill pray for you.I know these are our babies and its so hard when they dont feel well.They cant tell us whats wrong.Just be extra sweet to her and spoil her.It will help you to feel better.Hugs and prayers.

16. redgirl

redgirl Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 21, 2009
    Brunswick, MD
    Hugs!

I had 5 cats and I lost 1 of them last year. All you can do is give them the best care you can find and love them with all your heart!

17. whiskey

whiskey Moved On

Jan 13, 2010
    i will say a prayer for you every night my friend!!!!

18. jude8753

jude8753 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2010
    PA
    Sending good thoughts from myself and furry kids.

19. doots

doots Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 22, 2009
    Healing Prayers sent to Missy// Get well..

20. Zenfrogs

Zenfrogs Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2010
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear about your doggie... Will send lots of positive thoughts and wishes your way...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.