Needing a new Mod and tank setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
Title says most of it. I am looking for an affordable new mod that I can sub ohm with. Currently I have a Lavatube v2.5 and a Kayfun 3.1 Clone. I have 3 18650 batteries. I was looking for any suggestions for a mod and tank setup that would cost under $100. I would like it to be a rebuildable tank like the Kayfun with a 510 thread. Also If I can find one that uses the same 18650 batteries that would be great. I have seen many of these devices while looking online such as the "Tesla 80W TC Box Mod" and the "Eleaf iStick 100W Box Mod". My only issue is I like to make well informed purchases and I know nothing about these devices or any recommendations for them from anyone. So I am asking the biggest community of vapers for their recommendations for a new mod and tank setup that would match the criteria.

Thanks in advance!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Best way to help is with a little more info. What type of vaper are you? Are you looking for flavor or clouds of vapor? What is it about your current setup you're not happy with? There is so much stuff and so many choices that figuring out the best fit for you would be easier with a little more info.

As to your basic questions, 510 connectors are pretty much the standard for tanks and mods these days short of cartridges or vape pens. Lots of mods use replaceable batteries in place of internal as well. So that's the easy stuff.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
Best way to help is with a little more info. What type of vaper are you? Are you looking for flavor or clouds of vapor? What is it about your current setup you're not happy with? There is so much stuff and so many choices that figuring out the best fit for you would be easier with a little more info.

As to your basic questions, 510 connectors are pretty much the standard for tanks and mods these days short of cartridges or vape pens. Lots of mods use replaceable batteries in place of internal as well. So that's the easy stuff.
Thanks for the reply.
I vape only to satisfy my nicotine cravings. I do like somewhat heavy clouds, but not to like impress or nothing. I lean more towards the good flavor as well. I used to draw pretty heavy when I smoked so i need that hit that I can take like 10 puffs and be good for the next 2 or 3 hours. Currently I have a Lavatube 2.5 with a kayfun 3.1 clone. The Lavatube is getting pretty worn out as in the chrome is mostly gone, and the threading is getting worn out. The kayfun is starting to leak on the fill valve. I will still probably use the kayfun, but I am looking for a good RBA similar to the Kayfun that I can use as a backup for when it is not working good.

On the lavatube, I can't build a coil that is lower than I think 1.2 ohm. So I have to build my coils to be close to this. I actually wasn't sure when I first bought my Kayfun what type of wire to get so I got a spool of 32 and 28 gauge Kanthal. I can only use the 32 gauge wire on my coils when I put them on the Lavatube because I have tried with the 28 gauge and I always seem to get a sub ohm number. So I would like to be able to use that wire as well.

As for the wick, I normally only use silica wick. I know they say cotton is better, but I have like 3 years worth of bulk silica that I plan to use before I switch to a cotton setup.

Also if there is a good tank that is similar to the Kayfun but has more room to build a good coil on I would go for that. But like I mentioned I would like to be able to find a good mod and RBA tank for under $100 but there are just so dang many That I wouldn't know where to start.

I will also add a picture of my Lavatube to kind of show how worn out it is getting. I have a cheap mesh tank on there now while I am cleaning and building a new coil on the Kayfun.
DSCF7776_zps91gwzbvu.jpg

DSCF7775_zps9j33a11p.jpg

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well, for tanks that could go subohm but still provide a good MTL draw might be a Merlin. It's a stacked Velocity deck, so single coil works fine without an adapter, and has an airflow restictor tube which you can change MTL to DL. It will certainly do a subohm build without an issue. Absolutely amazing flavor. However, I've got no idea how it would work with silica. I've never used silica and know it's a different thing than cotton or rayon. Tank runs about $30. A Bellus is another option. Velocity deck, block for single coil use, good flavor, and $20-30. Both are top fill.

Mods, a couple with replaceable batteries. The ever popular Pico. 75W, TC, 1 18650 battery and tiny. Great for a pocket carry. Won't allow a tank >22 mm to fit, but the Merlin can just make by a hair. Runs $25-30 depending where you buy it. My other fave of late is the Coolfire 4 18650. A Coolfire with a replaceable 18650 battery. Also 75W (as much as a single battery can really do), TC, a little larger form factor but feels really good in the hand. Runs ~$40.

Take a look at those. You'll see lots more on the market that are just as good so these are not the only options (although tough to beat the versatility of the Merlin for an RTA).

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
Well, for tanks that could go subohm but still provide a good MTL draw might be a Merlin. It's a stacked Velocity deck, so single coil works fine without an adapter, and has an airflow restictor tube which you can change MTL to DL. It will certainly do a subohm build without an issue. Absolutely amazing flavor. However, I've got no idea how it would work with silica. I've never used silica and know it's a different thing than cotton or rayon. Tank runs about $30. A Bellus is another option. Velocity deck, block for single coil use, good flavor, and $20-30. Both are top fill.

Mods, a couple with replaceable batteries. The ever popular Pico. 75W, TC, 1 18650 battery and tiny. Great for a pocket carry. Won't allow a tank >22 mm to fit, but the Merlin can just make by a hair. Runs $25-30 depending where you buy it. My other fave of late is the Coolfire 4 18650. A Coolfire with a replaceable 18650 battery. Also 75W (as much as a single battery can really do), TC, a little larger form factor but feels really good in the hand. Runs ~$40.

Take a look at those. You'll see lots more on the market that are just as good so these are not the only options (although tough to beat the versatility of the Merlin for an RTA).
Thanks, I like the look of the Merlin RTA. As for the mod, What is the difference between say this one and the Pico one here?

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks, I like the look of the Merlin RTA. As for the mod, What is the difference between say this one and the Pico one here?

The Istick 60 is 15W lower than the Pico (meaningless in truth). It is bigger than the Pico. As far as the internals go, I have no idea if it's the same chip or not. Only reason I can vouch for the Pico over the iStick 60 is I have 2 Picos with no headaches and good performance, and don't own the 60 to give you a fair comparison. Check the APV forums here to see if there are any iStick reviews on the 60. I know folks like the iStick 100, which I believe is the same family, but that's a 2 battery solution, bigger still, but offers up to 100W (which from the sound of your use, which is very similar to my own, you'll never need).

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
The Istick 60 is 15W lower than the Pico (meaningless in truth). It is bigger than the Pico. As far as the internals go, I have no idea if it's the same chip or not. Only reason I can vouch for the Pico over the iStick 60 is I have 2 Picos with no headaches and good performance, and don't own the 60 to give you a fair comparison. Check the APV forums here to see if there are any iStick reviews on the 60. I know folks like the iStick 100, which I believe is the same family, but that's a 2 battery solution, bigger still, but offers up to 100W (which from the sound of your use, which is very similar to my own, you'll never need).
Thanks very much I am actually buying the Merlin tank right now. Found a pretty good deal and free shipping on this site. As for the Pico, I'll have to wait until next month but it will definitely be on the to buy list. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: MMW and Eskie

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
Title says most of it. I am looking for an affordable new mod that I can sub ohm with. Currently I have a Lavatube v2.5 and a Kayfun 3.1 Clone. I have 3 18650 batteries. I was looking for any suggestions for a mod and tank setup that would cost under $100. I would like it to be a rebuildable tank like the Kayfun with a 510 thread. Also If I can find one that uses the same 18650 batteries that would be great. I have seen many of these devices while looking online such as the "Tesla 80W TC Box Mod" and the "Eleaf iStick 100W Box Mod". My only issue is I like to make well informed purchases and I know nothing about these devices or any recommendations for them from anyone. So I am asking the biggest community of vapers for their recommendations for a new mod and tank setup that would match the criteria.

Thanks in advance!
If I were you I would get one of those new Eleaf iPower 80 watts. I know I'm getting one! And A Pico 75 Watt. E leaf is on a roll lately! I would highly suggest the gemini Vaporesso 22 tank. Smooth as butter!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks very much I am actually buying the Merlin tank right now. Found a pretty good deal and free shipping on this site. As for the Pico, I'll have to wait until next month but it will definitely be on the to buy list. Thanks for the suggestions.

I bought one of my Merlins from them as well. Quick shipping. there's a nice thread in the RTA section here on the tank. Overall, lots of happy campers. Hope it works OK with silica. And the Pico is a nice choice at that price. Combined you come in nicely under your initial price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread