Negative reaction from analog smokers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicfix75

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Orlando, FL
I smoke my pv where ever the need hits me. I don`t do it openly, I hit it them blow the vapor down. I don`t try to tell people about it unless they ask. I have vaped with the smokers and have gotten looks and questions I explain as much as I can then give them a card with this forum site on it and explain I am new to it and don`t know everything about it. For me it is a live and let live life.

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
I have two approaches: one for the families of smokers, and one for smokers. With the families, they are usually fascinated because they see a way to entice their family members to quit/reduce smoking (lecturing them on the exaggerated claims of "smoking-related deaths" and "risks" from secondhand smoke is generally pointless). For smokers, I present it as a way to reduce or eliminate paying taxes that have become a punishment for daring to defy the do-gooders and continuing to smoke. I still smoke analogs, have long been involved in the battle against smoking bans, and have absolutely no intention of quitting completely, so I emphathize with smokers (and am still one of them!). I think of the e cig as not only a "safer" alternative (maybe...we hope), but as an act of rebellion against the tax-'em-to-death and ban-them-everywhere anti-smoker zealots.

stevejo

Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I've generally found that if someone doesn't want to quit, they won't, whether with an e-cig or patches or anything. I generally let myself be the sales pitch. I always get interest in it, but I never push if I get a 'not interested'.

Usually the 'not interested's, by the time I am done vaping and they are done smoking, want to at least give it a whirl. And if they don't, they don't. I know I new about ecigs for a few months before I finally broke down and bought one.

Rookie

Apr 19, 2009
Texas, USA
I usually get more curiousity than hostility. I don't try to push it but I'm happy to answer questions if I can. There are many advantages to vapin that they may not have thought about but there are also drawbacks (finiky equipment, charging batts, filling carts etc.) I still smoke an occasional analog but find them rather harsh now that I'm used to vapin. I was hostile to people who lectured me about smoking and I'm not going to do that to someone else. The people who have asked me about it are usually receptive to the idea. I also agree with the tax angle, lots of people are looking for alternatives because of the high taxes. If they are interested, fine, if not I'm not going to push them.

Data4

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
Tacoma, WA
I looked my post over and yeah, I guess it did come off like I was trying to proselytize. No, actually, my "method", if you want to call it that, is passive. I just vape away while talking, as some of these folks are "work friends" I normally shoot the breeze with anyway. I let the e-cig itself start the conversation, and I answer the questions as the arise.

Sorry for the misconception there. I can see how I would be irritated if someone came up to me all snakeoil-salesman-like and started preaching, so I try to avoid that kind of behaviour. However, the guy I mentioned that I seem to have converted... well, replace his Harley with a 12 speed mountain bike and his leather vest with black slacks, white shirt, and a tie, and he's might as well be an LDS missionary with his e-cig. LOL!

-D4

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
I have stronglly resisted any argument to give up smoking, in a way I must have been saying 'I have smoked for 43 years so I am not giving up now'

Yes I knew the health problems, yes I understood that I was now the anti social one, but to be honest the main reason I talked myself out of quitting was fear of not succeeding again...

Then my daughter found e-cigs online, told me about them, and I said, ok, order me some, I will join you and give it a whirl..

Dont get wrong, I didnt see it as a way of giving up, oh no, I saw it as a way of smoking, but in a healthier way.

That was just over 2 months ago now, and since then I havent had a ciggie for 6 weeks, neither has my daughter, my son swopped to e cigs 6 weeks ago and hubby a month ago.

We dont see ourselves as non smokers, we are not, we still have a nicotine addiction, even though we are dealing with that one day at a time.

Yesterday I had a stressful day and searched for a ciggie, I didnt find one, but if I had I would have smoked it, and so what?

Many people on this site still enjoy a cigarette, but they, like me, like my family, like you all, have achieved so much, who would have thought a couple of years ago any of us could have come this far in reducing the toxins we were all absorbing through our cigarettes.

Sorry if I sound pretentious, thats not my intention, I just want to say, we all deserve a pat on the back, even if we have only vaped once or twice a day instead of having that smoke.

Last edited:

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have stronglly resisted any argument to give up smoking, in a way I must have been saying 'I have smoked for 43 years so I am not giving up now'

Yes I knew the health problems, yes I understood that I was now the anti social one, but to be honest the main reason I talked myself out of quitting was fear of not succeeding again...

Then my daughter found e-cigs online, told me about them, and I said, ok, order me some, I will join you and give it a whirl..

Dont get wrong, I didnt see it as a way of giving up, oh no, I saw it as a way of smoking, but in a healthier way.

That was just over 2 months ago now, and since then I havent had a ciggie for 6 weeks, neither has my daughter, my son swopped to e cigs 6 weeks ago and hubby a month ago.

We dont see ourselves as non smokers, we are not, we still have a nicotine addiction, even though we are dealing with that one day at a time.

Yesterday I had a stressful day and searched for a ciggie, I didnt find one, but if I had I would have smoked it, and so what?

Many people on this site still enjoy a cigarette, but they, like me, like my family, like you all, have achieved so much, who would have thought a couple of years ago any of us could have come this far in reducing the toxins we were all absorbing through our cigarettes.

Sorry if I sound pretentious, thats not my intention, I just want to say, we all deserve a pat on the back, even if we have only vaped once or twice a day instead of having that smoke.

Thank you for the live, and let live outlook. We are all glad for this alternative and each of us can rate our benefits from the e-cig on a continuum, some more than ohers. But I must confess that I do get more enjoyment out of playing with my e-cig! It's quite fascinating amd a pleasure to get just the right hit, taste is clean, but sweet. I am an avid smoker and this is the 1st product I like as much as ciggies, perhaps the e-cig will win the war! :thumb:

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
I took my e-cig to work today and got a lot of positive reactions from the smokers there. They asked me a ton of questions and I think I got a lot of people interested in checking it out.

The big part at work today was the joke we pulled on the Site Executive (the el-presedente of the site). One of the unit managers and I pulled a prank. I stood outside his office puffing away when the manager went in his office saying "Scott, someone is smoking in the building, right outside your office!" He ran out and watched me puffing away, plums of "smoke" billowing, and I thought the guy was about ready to have a stroke. :D Fortunately for me, Scott and I go back a decade and he kinda figured I was up to something. I told him what it was and he said he heard of them. We had a good laugh and I got his official "blessings" I can officially "smoke" in the building. LOL It was great.

Overall the reactions I got today from the analog smokers at work were very positive and very inquizitive. I can tell that many I showed the device to wants to quit in their hearts, but is stuck in the nicotine addiction and the "habit".

The only problem was everyone wanted me to show them a demo of it, and I darn near ODed on the nicotine. ;)

Tallgirl1974

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2009
Loganville, Ga
I took my e-cig to work today and got a lot of positive reactions from the smokers there. They asked me a ton of questions and I think I got a lot of people interested in checking it out.

The big part at work today was the joke we pulled on the Site Executive (the el-presedente of the site). One of the unit managers and I pulled a prank. I stood outside his office puffing away when the manager went in his office saying "Scott, someone is smoking in the building, right outside your office!" He ran out and watched me puffing away, plums of "smoke" billowing, and I thought the guy was about ready to have a stroke. :D Fortunately for me, Scott and I go back a decade and he kinda figured I was up to something. I told him what it was and he said he heard of them. We had a good laugh and I got his official "blessings" I can officially "smoke" in the building. LOL It was great.

Overall the reactions I got today from the analog smokers at work were very positive and very inquizitive. I can tell that many I showed the device to wants to quit in their hearts, but is stuck in the nicotine addiction and the "habit".

The only problem was everyone wanted me to show them a demo of it, and I darn near ODed on the nicotine. ;)

LOL, isnt pranks the best? I was driving the other day and stuck the tip in my nose when some guy was staring at me. Whatta ya do when youre driving? I cant excactly explain what it is...so i just mess with people.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
I still go out for a normal "smoke" break at work to vape and the other day, an older smoker was asking me about it....she kept making faces as I was explaining it to her, and when I told her I hadn't smoked for three weeks she said "wouldn't it be great if you could really quit smoking?"

It didn't matter how many ways I explained that I had, she wasn't buying it.

It kind of bums me out when people view it as some kind of malarky and something to be skeptical of.

I wish I would have found this sooner and I have the urge to tell everyone who smokes that they don't have to smoke anymore.

>

I hear ya, Kim.

Imagine the looks I get when I shift gears from the e-cig and explain to them that I have also quit eating greasy cheeseburgers and that I e-ingest now. Ya think the e-cig facial expressions are odd? LOL

Raven_Blackblade

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Kent, Washington

I have near ODed on demoing too! HAHA! I LOVE the prank :D

I have yet to have received any negative views on my E-Cig. My downstairs neighbor saw me open the package the very day that I got it, and even tried it with me. She also takes a hit off of it every time I get a new flavor ;) . Yesterday an elderly gent who was re-sealing the concrete gave it a try and was almost reeling from the head swoon (I am down from 24mg - 16 mg), he was smoking ultra lights hahaha! But he is greatly interested in it and I gave him the information needed and even told him to join these forums :D

I am certain with my mother coming in this weekend (she will be here damned near a week) that with enough alcohol in her that she will be a ummm rhymes with aunt.... about it. She has a nack for being cruel when it is uncalled for. Its where I learned it from. Bad thing is..... my fiance will learn where I learned it from. He might back off on me with taking shots after this visit. Keep your fingers crossed.

moonlight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've found smokers and non-smokers fine - the most negative reaction has been from "born-again non-smokers" (ex-smokers) who often REALLY seem to resent the fact that I've "stopped smoking without suffering". They almost LONG for something bad to be found out about e-cigs (or for them to be banned) - I'd bet the people who are causing you trouble over in the US are mainly these "born-again" types....

You're dead-on there. It's hell becoming an ex-smoker (I've done it lots of times) and they don't want to think their suffering is for nothing. We vapers have the best of both worlds...being an ex-smoker without giving up that exquisite pleasure. I'd be jealous of me too!

I'm hoping my best friend will try it. I even have a one all ready to give her as soon as she asks. But so far, not one bit of interest even to try. But I'm not pushing....

WendyM

ECF Veteran
I did get an odd reaction from a smoker this morning. We were talking and watching our dogs play, he pulled out an analog and started smoking, so I pulled out my e-cig and vaped away. We keep talking (the conversation switched from dogs to smoking and vaping) and he rolls up his shirt sleeve and shows me his nicotine patch.

"Never needs batteries"

WTH???

I have no idea what that meant, not a clue. I just smiled and nodded. He just kept chatting away and lighting one cigarette off of another, and I was standing there-- completely gobsmacked until it was time to take my dogs home.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
I get the worst grief from ex-smokers. They tell me I'm not giving up the habit. I tell them my habit is not hurting anyone. They say well you're still getting nicotine. I say well caffeine, nicotine, they're both addictive. They give me this odd look like they are the ones who "really gave up cigarettes" and I didn't really give them up. I think they're jealous that they had to struggle with giving up smoking with gum, patches, drugs, etc, and I don't. I tell them I loved smoking, and I don't think I want to give vaping up. They still treat me like I am wrong and they are right.

BTW, when someone is curious, I give them one of the cards from a supplier that I have bought from, and the forum website on the back. I feel that's a gift even better than a birthday gift.

Jules22871

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
My guiding philosophy when dealing with people you decsribed is this -- never argue with a fool, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

That has to be the most honest thing I've heard in ages!

I have actually heard several times from smokers "I am scared of that."
Um, ok. To each their own and all.

When my best friend first told me about them My comment was" I'm not putting something from China into my body" Her reply was "It can't be any worse than the 2000 carcinogens you have been putting in there" And she is right!

I really haven't had any negative comments at all. I don't get out uch at all so I really don't see that many people. My doctors love them so far and my overall health is improving so when someone does ask I can honestly tell them that I am doing better on ecigs than I was real ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread