Negative Reactions ... REALLY ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Not sure that there's really any advice to be had on this issue, but please don't let that stop you if you have any. I guess I'm just feeling the need to vent...

I successfully, and more importantly happily, switched over to vaping just over a month ago, and am getting incredibly discouraged by some of the negative reactions I'm getting from... Well, from family! I mean, of all people, really? REALLY ?!?

Please don't get me wrong, my husband is incredibly proud of me and my parents are being very supportive as well. But that's pretty much it. My biological sister, as well as pretty much all of my in-laws, are really pooh-poohing the transition. It's almost as if they would prefer I stick with the smoking. How insane is that?

So at family gatherings, such as the one in about five hours with the whole slew of in-laws, my anxiety starts rising. Let's face it, I am NOT a people person. As my anxiety crests, I feel the need to vape. I vape. I even step outside and out of sight to vape, only to return to their "commenting" on my new-found habit. We're talking... Very. Obvious. Disdain.

So now we're well past the crest and pretty much peaking at some point beyond pissy, and somewhere in my brain the thought process short circuits: "Well screw this, I might as well light up." But the thing is, I don't even want a cigarette! At this point, I'm just feeling the need to do something... Out of anger? In spite? I don't know, the whole thing makes no sense to me.

But what makes even less sense is the reaction I am getting from these people. I mean, do they not realize how much healthier this is than the 5,000+ chemical unknowns I have been inhaling for the past twenty years? Healthier for me. Healthier for them. Healthier for my husband, my children... My cats, for heaven's sake!

I know that I have lame-stream media to thank in part for their brand of thinking, but how can basic logic not apply? Not even a little bit?

And don't worry, I WILL NOT light up! I don't want to light up! (And it feels damn good to be able to say that, and mean it! :laugh:) I seriously have no idea what drives that particular neural misfire.

Thank you. I have vented. I wish I felt better.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hi and welcome to the ECF . Try not to let them get to you. I know with family that's easier said than done but you need to realise their ignorance is their problem not yours or what the hell don't get mad get even and show disdain for their interests and accomplishment either way I'll bet you feel better .

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Not sure that there's really any advice to be had on this issue, but please don't let that stop you if you have any. I guess I'm just feeling the need to vent...

I successfully, and more importantly happily, switched over to vaping just over a month ago, and am getting incredibly discouraged by some of the negative reactions I'm getting from... Well, from family! I mean, of all people, really? REALLY ?!?

Please don't get me wrong, my husband is incredibly proud of me and my parents are being very supportive as well. But that's pretty much it. My biological sister, as well as pretty much all of my in-laws, are really pooh-poohing the transition. It's almost as if they would prefer I stick with the smoking. How insane is that?

So at family gatherings, such as the one in about five hours with the whole slew of in-laws, my anxiety starts rising. Let's face it, I am NOT a people person. As my anxiety crests, I feel the need to vape. I vape. I even step outside and out of sight to vape, only to return to their "commenting" on my new-found habit. We're talking... Very. Obvious. Disdain.

So now we're well past the crest and pretty much peaking at some point beyond pissy, and somewhere in my brain the thought process short circuits: "Well screw this, I might as well light up." But the thing is, I don't even want a cigarette! At this point, I'm just feeling the need to do something... Out of anger? In spite? I don't know, the whole thing makes no sense to me.

But what makes even less sense is the reaction I am getting from these people. I mean, do they not realize how much healthier this is than the 5,000+ chemical unknowns I have been inhaling for the past twenty years? Healthier for me. Healthier for them. Healthier for my husband, my children... My cats, for heaven's sake!

I know that I have lame-stream media to thank in part for their brand of thinking, but how can basic logic not apply? Not even a little bit?

And don't worry, I WILL NOT light up! I don't want to light up! (And it feels damn good to be able to say that, and mean it! :laugh:) I seriously have no idea what drives that particular neural misfire.

Thank you. I have vented. I wish I felt better.

Smoking at them would be kinda like you taking poison and waiting for them to die. Best to come here and rant with folks that understand where you're at. Welcome.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I hear ya and I've got some of the same from some of the people in my life. In my experience, for the most part they just don't know any better. There is a great ECR graphic here on the important differences between smoking and vaping. I have not printed it yet, but I suspect you could print from your browser and it will split into pages. Might help with people who don't get it but are willing to read and understand.

Now not everyone will be willing to understand. Luckily that has not happened with me and any family members, but it did with a friend I respected and care about. I tried, but in the end I backed off the friendship.

Good for you for not lighting one up! Know also that in a month or two the pull to light up because of stress will be much, much less and you will have won!! Don't let anyone get you ... this is in your power :thumb:

brock957

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Powder Springs GA
Sadly a lot of people get the same reaction from friends and family. So come here and vent away. We understand. We've been through and are going through the same thing. That make us a Sister and Brotherhood. We're proud of you and we understand.

Now give your husband a big hug and a kiss and thank him for understanding and supporting him. Give him that look too and tell him you're going to give him special treat later.

Sadly some people here don't even get support from their spouses.

Zee2006

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
What helped me with this..... not that I had it with family, but I did see it with some friends, was I put this statement in my head and I used it around them, "safer alternative to cigarettes". Say it loud and proud, it really does help cause it shuts (some) people like that down ...or at least seems to help.

Try saying something like, "I'm soooo happy (hubby's name) is proud of my choice to use a safer alternative to smoking, it helps so much having him on board". The goal (IMO) the more you brag on the family that accepts the less comfortable they'll be in dogging your choice.

Good luck I hope it helps..... if not .... no biggy, cause really you don't need anyone telling you whats best for you, you've already figured that out, good for you!

:toast:

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Sadly a lot of people get the same reaction from friends and family. So come here and vent away. We understand. We've been through and are going through the same thing. That make us a Sister and Brotherhood. We're proud of you and we understand.

Now give your husband a big hug and a kiss and thank him for understanding and supporting him. Give him that look too and tell him you're going to give him special treat later.

Sadly some people here don't even get support from their spouses.

The community thing, I think that's what I'm really needing right about now. A place for support, advice, and more importantly... Encouragement on the next new shiny thing to buy!

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
What helped me with this..... not that I had it with family, but I did see it with some friends, was I put this statement in my head and I used it around them, "safer alternative to cigarettes". Say it loud and proud, it really does help cause it shuts (some) people like that down ...or at least seems to help.

Try saying something like, "I'm soooo happy (hubby's name) is proud of my choice to use a safer alternative to smoking, it helps so much having him on board". The goal (IMO) the more you brag on the family that accepts the less comfortable they'll be in dogging your choice.

Good luck I hope it helps..... if not .... no biggy, cause really you don't need anyone telling you whats best for you, you've already figured that out, good for you!

:toast:

Now this is good advice. Thank you. Seriously. Thank you.

wbart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2013
Easton, MD, USA
@Ryedan You beat me to it, I had that link copied to lol
I am normally not a violent person but an ego would hurt to, Just get a Protank to give it a little more heft.

These are the kinds of people that are making laws without knowing facts and I could rant about it for about 4 days.... but this is your rant page and I will not steal your thunder....much

LadyPharaoh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
AL, USA
Good morning and welcome! Congratulations on making the switch.

From your avatar, you have two of the best reasons ever to stop smoking. Your husband and your parents are on board with your decision and nobody else's opinion really matters. Ignorance breeds fear. The comments of the others are likely because they are ill-informed about your "new-found habit". If they are at all interested in hearing about the benefits you have experienced since switching over, you could share that. If they are interested in researching for themselves, direct them here for tons of great information.

Best wishes for your continued success and sending you good juju for strength to get through your family gathering without telling someone to *iss off! :D

Last edited:

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Best wishes for your continued success and sending you good juju for strength to get through your family gathering without telling someone to *iss off! :D

JuJu much needed, and appreciated. And I would LOVE to tell some of them to "*iss off!" But it's not really in my nature.

And yes - Those are the absolute BEST two "reasons" in my life, and I can FINALLY not feel guilty or selfish for not being able to kick that nasty habit to the curb. Because that is exactly what I am in the process of doing!

Can I just take all of you with me today? :p

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
JuJu much needed, and appreciated. And I would LOVE to tell some of them to "*iss off!" But it's not really in my nature.

And yes - Those are the absolute BEST two "reasons" in my life, and I can FINALLY not feel guilty or selfish for not being able to kick that nasty habit to the curb. Because that is exactly what I am in the process of doing!

Can I just take all of you with me today? :p

You can if your phone has internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread