Negative Reactions ... REALLY ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's tough 'selling' non-smokers on e-cigs. They don't understand it (and don't care to understand it).

Just gotta stay strong, and perhaps move one's vaping a little lower profile. I prefer bathroom vapes and blowing it through my shirt when I'm around people who don't approve of vaping. Or, you know, not vaping around them. Depending on how much I care about them.

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
@Haps - I am so, so sorry about what happened. I really hate to hear that. I don't know what I would do if my husband was not behind my decision 100%. Of course, his choosing to switch over within days of my quitting has led to some very interesting... Er, pointless fights. It seems we are both experiencing the irritability and/or mood swings reported by some during the detox. :blush:

I know you asked the question of your wife, but of greater importance is your answer. Do you want to go back to smoking. And if you're anything like me, that one gets a resounding NO!

@VKVK - I agree with you about the low profile approach, especially when in a situation where I already know flak will be directed my way. I just don't know how very much lower profile I can get, when I'm already either stepping outside to join the smokers or completely disappearing off the radar. :blink:

Speaking of vaping around smokers, I was at a bar type establishment this past week and stepped out onto the side porch, which serves as the smoking area. Talk about getting the drop-dead glare... Absolutely no idea what that was all about.

@Shaketuga - Ha, ha! Does your version of a peace sign involve just the one finger, rather than two!

Vapeaddikt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Southern Cloud Cartel Arlington, TX
Do what you know is right w/o the need of approval from others. If they love you or care about you they will support you as support is one of the most important things anyone can give. I vape wherever I go and could care less what anyone thinks. I like it and that's all that matters. If someone has an issue w/ it they will tell me. No one ever does. I will get people curious about it and that's the extent. Typically they want to get into it but don't know where to go or have bothered to look it up or simply are just wanting to make small talk.

Keep doing your thing and don't worry about it. I vape indoors and have yet to have any issues w/ people getting mad about it. I simply step aside and do my thing and don't blow it in anyones face. I've been in bar's where I knew the manager saw me but realized it was vape and left it alone. It's vapor and doesnt smell bad anyways. If your confident in what you do in any facet of life others simply won't bother you.

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Sooner or later there's always some jerk who thinks they know better and wants to tell you what to do, I think they call them politicians .

I call them in-laws, and their expertise on my so-called failings ranges from how I dress and how I raise my kids to my priorities in life and the fact that I ride motorcycles. (Despite the fact that my husband also rides?!?)

My vaping is just their latest soapbox. But for some reason, it's the only one that has really gotten under my skin. :blink:

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I call them in-laws, and their expertise on my so-called failings ranges from how I dress and how I raise my kids to my priorities in life and the fact that I ride motorcycles. (Despite the fact that my husband also rides?!?) My vaping is just their latest soapbox. But for some reason, it's the only one that has really gotten under my skin. :blink:
May those who love us, love us And those that don't love us May God turn their hearth And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we may know them by their limping .

Cannonfoddr

Jun 14, 2013
idaho
Well today is my 3 month(91st day) without smoking. I love the vaping world. I did make a mistake and logged on to the quitnet website. When asked how long it had been for me, I proudly said 2 1/2 months. Then they asked what method I was using. I should have lied. Wow, talk about a negative response to my choice of vaping. I don't understand it. I quit, that should be what's important. I did also get out to my favorite karaoke bar this last weekend. It was amazing the response from people there. I got a chance to talk about vaping and got told a bunch of times, "good for you", "great job". Just weird people that are suppose to be there to help you quit smoking are asses about vaping. When people who just know you from the bar, can be so much more supportive. Strange world.

Last edited:

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
May those who love us, love us And those that don't love us May God turn their hearth And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we may know them by their limping .
That's a little bit of the Irish for ye MAS. I'm still all riled up from yesterday and the news on the FDA even though it turned out to be premature they do get the Irish in me up.

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
That's a little bit of the Irish for ye MAS. I'm still all riled up from yesterday and the news on the FDA even though it turned out to be premature they do get the Irish in me up.

Yeah, I'm kinda really worried about the government stepping in and screwing this up for me as well. Placing a tax on the nicotine-containing flavors, I'd deal with. Banning on-line sales of equipment... Well, I guess it's a good thing I'm starting to learn a bit more about customizing and rebuilding. But I'm pretty sure that if they took away all of my wonderful options and left me with just the 7-Eleven pre-filled type brands, I'd be right back to smoking.

But, I'm going to try and take my grandmother's old advice, something along the lines of not borrowing trouble...

Edited to add: Though I have joined the CASAA and participated in their survey. And I'm going to be looking into other ways I can support the organization. Why? As a "recovering smoker," this is pretty damned important to me.

Last edited:

thefullhonkey

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I call them in-laws, and their expertise on my so-called failings ranges from how I dress and how I raise my kids to my priorities in life and the fact that I ride motorcycles. (Despite the fact that my husband also rides?!?)

My vaping is just their latest soapbox. But for some reason, it's the only one that has really gotten under my skin. :blink:

Oh man, can I ever relate to this. I struggle on an ongoing basis with trying to be nice/make good, and just ignoring them (and their completely uninformed opinions) completely. Don't get me wrong, they're good people, but they sure to seem to enjoy criticising my (generally) well-considered and thoroughly researched decisions...

New2Smoking

Aug 6, 2013
Newark, NJ
It's probably already been said 100 times in this thread but who cares what they think?

This kind relates to this (I think...): I used to be one of the scrawniest guys at my school. So i started lifting weights and eventually I made some decent gains. I didn't look really buff or anything, so nobody noticed and gave me any praise for it, including family members. But i knew myself that I had made pretty nice achievements and that if I hadn't been lifting i'd still look like a lighter skinned snoop dogg. I was proud of myself, even if nobody else really was.

wbbrn1952

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Pensacola, FL, USA
First off congrats on giving up the analogs - my wife and I both vape and neither of us has had a cigarette for over 1 year. my youngest daughter made a comment to my wife the other night about her vaping at which time my wife came back with a retort - "I can always go back to smoking cigarettes if you prefer!!" My daughter quickly back down and said please don't - so the wife told her to quit complaining.

What helped me with this..... not that I had it with family, but I did see it with some friends, was I put this statement in my head and I used it around them, "safer alternative to cigarettes". Say it loud and proud, it really does help cause it shuts (some) people like that down ...or at least seems to help.

Try saying something like, "I'm soooo happy (hubby's name) is proud of my choice to use a safer alternative to smoking, it helps so much having him on board". The goal (IMO) the more you brag on the family that accepts the less comfortable they'll be in dogging your choice.

Good luck I hope it helps..... if not .... no biggy, cause really you don't need anyone telling you whats best for you, you've already figured that out, good for you!

:toast:

Ditto. Kill em with kindness and they'll eventually get it...and if not, hopefully they're not (______) enough to let this "safer alternative to smoking" come between your relationship. Good luck!

Dave L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Modesto, CA, USA
You don't owe people any kind of behavior to make them happy. It's you who has to be satisfied with yourself. Maybe they're jealous because they see strength in you that they feel they lack. Maybe they wish they could make some improvement in themselves, and since they can't they don't want to see others do it. You're improving your life, and you should be proud. Don't worry. Be proud of yourself. Oh, and welcome to ECF!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread